Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: TRIBUTE

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:25 am

For a while we are going to study the verses behind Disciple songs! Each week one song will be chosen, and we will take a closer look at the verses listed in the liner notes with that song.

Please focus your studies on the verses and let the lyrics contribute to your thoughts after a study of the verses. We aren't here to study Disciple lyrics, we are here to study the word of God.

This week we are studying the verses behind the song "Tribute."
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: TRIBUTE

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:27 am

1 Peter 2:16-17
11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people. 16 Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves. 17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.

18 Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

Lyrics:
The things your eyes have seen
Are the content of my darkest dreams
But you take it willingly
The war that keeps my family free
To all the brothers that have gone
I want your memory to live on
As I'm on my knees
I hope that your heart can hear me
I'm praying as you're sleeping
Peace will find your dreams tonight
And you'll know
I am so thankful for all you've done
Across the foreign shores
Are the souls I won't ignore
That would not run from your enemies
As we rest in our peace
Tonight I'm praying for your child
That it won't be a long while
Till all our brothers come home
To fight no more
I'm praying as you're sleeping
Peace will find your dreams tonight
And you'll know
I am so thankful for all you've done
And as the rain stops falling
I thank my God,
It's camouflaging the tears
That fall from my eyes
As you're coming home
Come home
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: TRIBUTE

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:53 am

I'm going to warn you, I might be going off in a weird direction that has nothing to do with the lyrics and more to do with freedom.

What are we not free from as this "Free People"?

(in reference to while we are on earth in our temporary earthly bodies)

1. We are not free from struggles. Just because you accept Jesus Christ into your heart doesn't mean that things will go easy for you from now on. It fact, its the total opposite. Life will probably become much more difficult because the world is going to turn against you because you are not going the same way they are anymore. Evil will fight to pull you away from God and the path you have chosen. For your temporary time being burdened with trials on earth, if you remain faithful you will receive eternal life in heaven where you will be free from struggles forever....while the world chooses a temporary time of no trials for eternity with unbearable ones.

2. We are not free from sadness and negative feelings. God's promises are the most amazing thing to ever exist, what do we have to be sad about? The joy we receive from God's love and promises is not limited by emotions, so we will still experience sadness, anger, fear and other negative feelings. Especially the worst of these which is bereavement , the unbearable sadness when our loved ones depart this world. Even with our faith we will still be scared and worry about things. Its okay, many of us struggle with anxiety even with great faith. Sometimes that anxiety is what made that faith great in the first place. So no matter how you feel, you can still be joyful that Jesus' sacrifice atoned for your sins so you can stand before God cleansed and redeemed and a place prepared for you in eternity awaits you after your tasks are done in this world.

What are we free from?

1. We are free from the burden of time. We are eternal beings, and time does not exist for eternal beings. While the days still end and deadlines still loom here on earth, you do not have the same burden of time as the rest of the world does. This is just the beginning for you. This world is nothing compared to the wonders that lie ahead. While they furiously fight to gain as much as they can and make a name for themselves before they die, you know that none of this will last and none of these things can be taken with you. For them, this is it. This world is all they have. For you, your everything lies in the next world. We give this world up to gain everything.

2. We are free from the shackles of sin. Its funny watching the world think we are in chains to our beliefs because we can't do whatever we want like they can. Truly we stand before them free when they sit there imprisoned by their sins and are complete slaves to the world. Sin leads nowhere good, only to death. They have no choice but to go that way. We don't have to go that way. We don't have to act like them or say what they say. Yes we will still struggle with it because we are imperfect beings, but we have been given mercy and grace from God because he sent his son for die for our sins.

Return to Disciple Bible Study