[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4838: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4840: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4841: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4842: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Disciple Message Board - View topic - VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: GOLDEN CALF
Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: GOLDEN CALF

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:23 am

For a while we are going to study the verses behind Disciple songs! Each week one song will be chosen, and we will take a closer look at the verses listed in the liner notes with that song.

Please focus your studies on the verses and let the lyrics contribute to your thoughts after a study of the verses. We aren't here to study Disciple lyrics, we are here to study the word of God.

This week we are studying the verses behind the song "Golden Calf."
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: GOLDEN CALF

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:29 am

1 John 5:21
18 We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them. 19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. 20 We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. 21 Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.

Revelation 2:4-5
“To the angel of the church in Ephesus write:

These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. 2 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. 3 You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.

4 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. 6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.

7 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

Exodus 20:3
(the 10 commandments)
And God spoke all these words:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 “You shall have no other gods before me.

Exodus 32:1-6, 19-20
When the people saw that Moses was so long in coming down from the mountain, they gathered around Aaron and said, “Come, make us gods[a] who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.”

2 Aaron answered them, “Take off the gold earrings that your wives, your sons and your daughters are wearing, and bring them to me.” 3 So all the people took off their earrings and brought them to Aaron. 4 He took what they handed him and made it into an idol cast in the shape of a calf, fashioning it with a tool. Then they said, “These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.”

5 When Aaron saw this, he built an altar in front of the calf and announced, “Tomorrow there will be a festival to the Lord.” 6 So the next day the people rose early and sacrificed burnt offerings and presented fellowship offerings. Afterward they sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry.

19 When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain. 20 And he took the calf the people had made and burned it in the fire; then he ground it to powder, scattered it on the water and made the Israelites drink it.

lyrics:
I dropped my remote down the couch
I want to see golf I want it now
computer's sick the phone line is down
lost my wallet nowhere to be found (1 John 5:21)

somehow you always end up second place
somehow there's no time
I just don't feel like (Revelation 2:4-5)

praising my church instead of God
we worship doormats
seems kind of odd
my 454 four on the floor with all my gods
I got to have more (Exodus 20:3)

Take my break my golden calf down
burn my fear my golden calf down (Exodus 32:1-6, 19-20)
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:54 am

Return to Disciple Bible Study