Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: LAY MY BURDENS

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:33 am

For a while we are going to study the verses behind Disciple songs! Each week one song will be chosen, and we will take a closer look at the verses listed in the liner notes with that song.

Please focus your studies on the verses and let the lyrics contribute to your thoughts after a study of the verses. We aren't here to study Disciple lyrics, we are here to study the word of God.

This week we are studying the verses behind the song "Lay My Burdens."
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: LAY MY BURDENS

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:39 am

Romans 8:28
28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Matthew 11:28
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Psalm 23:2-3
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

Hebrews 12:12-13
11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. 12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 “Make level paths for your feet,” so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed. 14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. 15 See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.

John 14:2-3
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”

Ezekiel 37:5
4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! 5 This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to life. 6 I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”

Ephesians 2:1-5
As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:47 am

2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

this world has been exceptionally burdensome this year, the emotions the world is putting off and saturating the air with are incredibly unbearable....and having many of the things we use to cope like hugs and concerts and just seeing people not available at the same time makes this world much more difficult to endure

I'll admit, in the last 20 years of fight depression I haven't said "I want to live" all that much. Besides a few moments that I could say I don't mind sticking around a little while longer, I do not say it. This was all because of what was going on inside of me. This year is the first time the source of those feelings has shifted to the outside of myself instead of inside myself. Alas, its not time to go yet, that means there is more work to be done. So we must continue with what the Lord has brought us here to do.

I've always found John 14 very comforting. Jesus promising that he's coming back for us and that he's not going to leave us here. Even though often I wish he would come back sooner, reading that he has promised to come back for me is comforting.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:51 am

3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.

The world has rejected God. To fit the program you must reject God. If you are a Christian you will never be accepted by them. Even if you match up in every way but your belief in Jesus, they won't accept you. Stop trying to fit in and fall in step with them. You are not of the world anymore. You are not dead to sin and the world anymore. You are ALIVE in Christ. You can do better. Rise above the world and do better than they are.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 am

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

God is still at work. We don't know what he is doing, but know that he is working on good things right now. Good things for eternity that last forever, which are worth FAR MORE than anything temporary here.

People are being saved this year, and their souls are worth EVERYTHING to finally be in God's hands for eternity. We are all being brought to our limits, but God will never leave us. He is here with us. He is always at work and in control.

Return to Disciple Bible Study