Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: PANIC ROOM

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 18, 2020 5:47 am

For a while we are going to study the verses behind Disciple songs! Each week one song will be chosen, and we will take a closer look at the verses listed in the liner notes with that song.

Please focus your studies on the verses and let the lyrics contribute to your thoughts after a study of the verses. We aren't here to study Disciple lyrics, we are here to study the word of God.

This week we are studying the verses behind the song "Panic Room."
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: VERSES BEHIND THE SONG: PANIC ROOM

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 18, 2020 5:51 am

Psalm 51:3
3 For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.

Proverbs 12:25
25 Anxiety weighs down the heart,
but a kind word cheers it up.

Psalm 51
1 Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.

4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
and justified when you judge.
5 Surely I was sinful at birth,
sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
6 Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
so that sinners will turn back to you.
14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
you who are God my Savior,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
15 Open my lips, Lord,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.
18 May it please you to prosper Zion,
to build up the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will delight in the sacrifices of the righteous,
in burnt offerings offered whole;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 18, 2020 6:04 am

This world has been very exceptionally out of control for a few months now. The earthly pillars of many of our lives have been taken away, and we've had to worry about things we never thought we would have to worry about so much. You can feel that at the core of the panic is the fact that many people do not have a hope to hold onto outside of this world. If you have nothing else to look toward of course it would be easy to get a bit panicky. I think many Christians have gotten caught up and have forgotten that they have an eternal hope to hold onto in all this.

These last few months have been a very key moment that Christians needed to take to turn toward God, cling to him, and have faith that he is still in control. Do not lose sight of God in all this, because the media is still in an absolute frenzy trying to distract you and get you to keep being afraid. You have no reason to be afraid right now. No matter what happens to you, God is still there and in control. Whatever lays ahead of you is in his control, and he's going to get you through it.

The all powering, all knowing, omnipresent ruler and creator of the universe has never lost control of this world.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 am

Anxiety is a huge overreaction by your body. Your body is telling you that its the end and you are going to die, but nothing is actually wrong. Trying to convince yourself in the moment that everything truly is okay can feel like you are stepping off the boat to walk on the water to Jesus when that anxiety process is still going on your body.

Anxiety is a chemical reaction, it has an end point. It has a process it will go through and then it will end. It doesn't feel like its going to end, but it will. I think a big part of dealing with it is to let it run its course. The more you see it run its course and that you truly are okay at the other end, the easier it gets to let it run its course over time because you've been to the other side so many times already.

Knowing the source of you anxiety is helpful, such as feelings of being out of control. If you know what is making you feel that way and where it came from, the anxiety loses some of its power. If you know that something such as feeling out of control gives you anxiety the next time it happens you can see what gave you anxiety and why. You might not be able to stop it, but at least you understand it more.

If you are big on thinking up worst case scenarios during anxiety find something else to get your mind focused on for a moment instead of getting lost in the what if's we create. Talk to God, write, draw, find something neat to take pictures of....just something you can turn to quickly to get your mind on something else for a short time.

Return to Disciple Bible Study