Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

BIBLE STUDY ON LOVE PART THREE: EXAMPLES OF LOVE

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:22 am

We are switching gears for a while! Instead of reading an assigned chapter we are going to be doing topical studies. Dust off those concordances and put them to good use! Its time to start using the bible to find your answers!

For the next few weeks the topic will be LOVE. It will be broken down into 3 weeks. Post about what verses you find that fit the topic of the week.

1. God's Love (completed)
2. Our Love (completed)

3. Examples of Love from other people in the bible (THIS WEEK)

Now that we've seen what God's love is like and what our love should be like, what are some examples of love from the bible that inspire you? What are some examples of love you have seen in your life that have truly defined love?
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: BIBLE STUDY ON LOVE PART THREE: EXAMPLES OF LOVE

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:33 am

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.” (Luke 10)

Well its a theoretical example since its one of Jesus' parables, but it still counts lol.

One thing people don't always do is act. There is something right in front of them that needs attention, but they walk on past. Even literally someone in need beside them on the street and they walk by. Someone just needing help with a quick thing and they look away and ignore them.

Choosing action isn't always easy. Sometimes you get yourself into something complicated or irritating that takes a lot longer than your thought. Sometimes you meet people in the process you wish you hadn't. And perhaps in the end negative feelings can be left behind and one can wish they had just walked on by and never gotten involved. It doesn't always feel worth it to reach out and choose action. Even just giving up money for a cause can be hard if you feel like you can't afford it or just want to keep your money for yourself.

Even if choosing action ends up not being easy. Even if the person your chose action for doesn't even care that you did. It was still worth it. It was still worth it for you to stop and help someone else.

It's about giving up more than money. We give up time for others too. Time is something we can not give back. Its gone forever. You can make more money. You can't make more time. I think giving up time is sometimes much more difficult than giving up money.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 am

Listening is something that has always shown love to me. I don't always feel heard or validated so it means a lot to me. Listening is a sacrifice of time. We can not make back the time we sacrifice to others.

I really don't want you to think this is an opportunity to kiss up to bands. I doubt any of them see this so don't worry about that. But truly, there is some incredible listeners in the Christian rock world. The ones affiliated with this site are a few of them, there are others that are exceptional listeners as well. You can tell when one of them is really listening to you and when one of them is not. That time they sacrifice to truly listen to fans has been something I really admire and I think in those moments their love really shines brightly. Which is why I prefer to give the bulk of my money and time to those who really take the time to listen to fans after shows.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 am

15 “Look,” said Naomi, “your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her.”

16 But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.” 18 When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her. (Ruth 1)

I searched examples of love and one article brought this one up. Sticking with people is definitely a great example of love. And it feels incredible to be on the receiving end knowing that people will stick by you no matter what. We all have more people than we think that feel that way about us.

Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:20 pm

It's about giving up more than money. We give up time for others too. Time is something we can not give back. Its gone forever. You can make more money. You can't make more time. I think giving up time is sometimes much more difficult than giving up money.
Man! That was awesome. You can’t make more time. I love that. Thanks Courtney
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:09 pm

You can’t find most of these acts of love in the Bible.... but based on the verse “greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13) ..... I think the way that the Disciples lived their lives after Jesus died is incredible and also one of the best examples of corroborating evidence that Jesus really lived. The evidence that these Disciples spread out, evangelized, and started churches all over world (of that time) is overwhelming. How they died is a big question. The Bible only speaks of James and Judas’ death. The rest of the Disciple’s deaths are only known either by tradition or early Christian historians.

But the fact they went out boldly proclaiming Jesus, tells me two things ....

1. They really did see him alive after death.... otherwise why waste their time telling a lie? There wasn’t any money in it. And it was also extremely dangerous, and most of them were martyred for their faith. Would you die for something you knew wasn’t true? Me either. Yet they all evangelized for Christ, and almost all gave their life for Him..... which tells me this....

2. They really LOVED Jesus. I mean they loved Him. They devoted their lives to telling people about Him and teaching people how to live like Him. We would not be reading this post if those Disciples had not radically Loved Jesus the way that they did. They gave everything for Him. They loved Him

I went to a couple of sites to research how they died. I will post them at the bottom of you want to see them

Here is how they died, either according to tradition or by early Christian historians

Paul - beheaded
Peter - crucified upside down
Andrew - crucified
Thomas - speared in the side
Philip - puts death by a Roman Consul
Matthew - stabbed to death
Bartholomew - various accounts of martyrdom
James - beheaded
James son of Alpheus- clubbed to death
Simon the Zealot - various accounts of martyrdom
Matthias- burned to death
John - died of old age but was tortured / cast into boiling oil

https://www.christianity.com/church/chu ... 29558.html

https://amazingbibletimeline.com/blog/q6_apostles_die/
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:32 am

The story of John being boiled in oil, but not dying, and that being the reason he was exiled to Patmos is wild.
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
Return to Disciple Bible Study