Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

REVELATION CHAPTER 19

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:48 am

This week we will be discussing REVELATION 19. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 19
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: REVELATION CHAPTER 19

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:05 am

I love that description of voices being like rushing waters. Its perfect and its something I never would have though of.

After this I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude in heaven shouting:
“Hallelujah!
Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
for true and just are his judgments.
He has condemned the great prostitute
who corrupted the earth by her adulteries.
He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.”
3 And again they shouted:
“Hallelujah!
The smoke from her goes up for ever and ever.”
4 The twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God, who was seated on the throne. And they cried:
“Amen, Hallelujah!”
5 Then a voice came from the throne, saying:
“Praise our God,
all you his servants,
you who fear him,
both great and small!”
6 Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:
“Hallelujah!
For our Lord God Almighty reigns.
Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear.”

that part is self explanatory to me, all of heaven is rejoicing at Babylon's defeat. followed by the familiar image of the bride and the wedding which has been used before.

Isaiah 62:
You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord’s hand,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.
No longer will they call you Deserted,
or name your land Desolate.
But you will be called Hephzibah,
and your land Beulah;
for the Lord will take delight in you,
and your land will be married.
As a young man marries a young woman,
so will your Builder marry you;
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so will your God rejoice over you.

9 Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”
10 At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers and sisters who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For it is the Spirit of prophecy who bears testimony to Jesus.”

also one of those times the angel is like "Dude I'm not the one you're suppose to worship"
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:31 am

Alright. Myers is still looking at Rome saying the rider is the against the Roman Empire. Coffman goes in a little bit of a different direction, a more broader look than just Rome but not the second coming. Reformation study talks about the second coming. Matthew Henry theorizes a different way.

Myers: "Satan, the Sea Beast, the Earth Beast, and the harlot are about to meet their defeat and destruction. They are presented in reverse order than which they were introduced in the book (ch 12-17). Since they all stood together, they must fall together. In this vision a warrior-king conducts the war against His enemies. This is not the second or final coming of Christ, but the victorious war against the forces of the Roman Empire."

Coffman: "in this chapter, the judgement of the beast ridden by the harlot is presented, the presentation reaching its climax in the final destruction of both in verses 19-21, where the harlot is also mentioned again under the figure of the false prophet. this is the central one of three chapter, each of which is concluded with a description of judgement day.

Chp 18 ends with the desolated whore at the judgement
chp 19 ends with the beast destroyed at the judgment
chp 20 ends with the dragon (Satan) destroyed at the judgment

this is the exact reverse order of their appearance in Revelation, beginning at 12:1. this book of Revelation is very neatly and skillfully organized, and the structure of it is a marvel of logical design and synchronization. the chronology of these three chapter is identical, each of them dealing with the entire Christian dispensation between the two Advents of Christ. The "forty-two months", the "one thousand two hundred and three score days," and the "one thousand years" are three different symbolical terms used in the successive chapters as the designation of the same chronological period, i.e. the entire dispensation, each of them reaching its terminus at the judgement.

this chapter, therefore, is not "the beginning of the millennial age." there only connection that it has with the millennium is that is prophesies of events throughout the whole current dispensation, which IS the 1,000 years, the 42 months, of the 1,260 days, each of these expressions meaning the same thing. thus, each of the chapters 18, 19, and 20 covers the same period of time ending at the judgement, as do also other sections of the prophecy."

Reformation Study bible:
19:1–10
The triumph of the pure bride is contrasted with the destruction of the corrupt false church (Babylon). Note the repeated “Hallelujah!” (vv. 1, 3–6).

19:7 marriage of the Lamb.
The wedding imagery expresses the intimacy, love, and joy between Christ and His people. It fulfills the commitments expressed earlier in Scripture (Is. 54:5–8; Hos. 2:19, 20; Eph. 5:26, 27).

19:11–21
The sixth cycle of judgments leading to the Second Coming (Introduction: Characteristics and Themes: Literary Form) is presented in these verses. In the latter cycles the imagery concentrates more and more intensively on the Second Coming and the events that immediately precede it. In this cycle, all the events are actually part of the Second Coming. But, as is typical of Revelation, they reveal principles of spiritual war that have been operative throughout the church age (Eph. 6:10–20; 1 John 5:4, 5). At the end, Jesus Christ is revealed (22:13; Heb. 13:8).

Christ appears to wage final battle against all the enemies of God, led by the beast and the false prophet. Christ’s holy attributes contrast markedly with the unholy counterfeit attributes of the beast (13:1–10 note). This final war brings to a climax all the wars that God has waged on behalf of His people (Ex. 15:2; Deut. 20; Is. 59:16–18; Ezek. 38; 39; Hab. 3:8–15; Zech. 12:1–9; 14:3–5) and consummates the triumph achieved by Christ on the cross (5:9, 10; 12:10, 11; John 12:31; Col. 2:15). Some have interpreted the imagery as a reference to the spread of Christ’s rule through submission to the gospel, but the parallels with other visions show that the final battle is primarily in view (16:14, 16–21 and notes; 17:14; 20:7–10).

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:43 am

I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: king of kings and lord of lords.

White is a color symbolized for good. Who else would be faith and true and be called the king of kings and lord of lords? None other than Jesus Christ. Who else would have a sword from their mouth but Jesus? The sword is meant to bring judgement. Eyes of flame penetrate the hearts of his enemies. The crowns are diadems, the victor's crown.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:54 am

This chapter has images from the first song that got me into Disciple, Next Time. Still a favourite of mine:

The first time that He came they ripped His beard
and beat His back up (Isaiah 52: 14, John 19: 1)
but the next time that He comes He'll have a
flaming sword with eyes of fire
(Revelation 19: 12, 15)
The first time that He came they pierced
His hands and His feet and hung Him up (Luke 23: 33)
but the next time that He comes He'll be on a
white horse and I'll be with Him
(Revelation 19: 11)

I like how the chapter is divided into the two major events: (1) the wedding and (2) Christ's return.

The wedding takes place after the fall of Babylon. There was no rapture before that I could see in Revelation. I think the wedding event is determinable by connecting some dots in the scripture. But not the time that it happens.

The images of the fowls eating flesh in the chapter also reminds me of a statement from Jesus' end times speech:

For as the lightning comes out of the east, and shines even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For wheresoever the carcass is, there will the [vultures] be gathered together.
~Matthew 24:27-28
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
Return to Disciple Bible Study