Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

REVELATION CHAPTER 3

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:08 am

This week we will be discussing REVELATION 3. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 3
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: REVELATION CHAPTER 3

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:26 am

3 “To the angel of the church in Sardis write:

These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. 3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

4 Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. 5 The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels. 6 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Myers talked how even though Sardis claim to fame was decadence and being a “loose-loving, pleasure loving, luxury laden city” possibly with wealth from thriving industries and possibly a nice facade of large attendance and a good reputation, inside they were dead. They didn’t even face the same persecutions the other churches did.

“The church of sardis was completely free from trouble both without and within. She was a church at peace, but the peace she enjoyed was the peace of the dead”

The letters really make sense when you read about the cities. We try to be different, but in many ways we still assimilate to our surroundings and get caught up in the world around us.

Myers talked about them like perhaps they were sort of a mega church. All the good stuff on the outside for appearances, but dead on the inside. Not saying mega churches are dead, but if they get caught up in looks and material things they will be dead on the inside.

”we see again that it is not what we think about ourselves, or even what others may think about us, but what the Lord thinks about us that is important.”

“wake up” is more of that “HEY! Listen to me!” phrasing used throughout the book.

I love the focus on REMEMBER. It’s easy to forget these days. That’s why the remembrance part of communion is so important. That’s why studying continually is so important. To remember.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ChrisKwanDo

by ChrisKwanDo Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:13 am

Always the Laodicean church letter draws me. Though for similar reasons, the Sardis letter hit me hard. I am considered a spiritual leader in many circles. I know me some Bible, apologetics, philosophy. But my prayer and devotion life is in shambles. What has always caught my eye is the portion that God says “because you are like warm, I am about to vomit you out of my mouth.”

It is a stark contrast to the “God is not angry!” Message we always hear that is basically meant to soothe people, and make them feel like it’s ok to keep on sinning and putting God on ignore.

Yet, despite my knowledge, I fear I have stumbled into a lukewarm state... in so many ways I may look good on the outside, but I feel so empty in my spiritual walk on the inside. I think we as believers need to understand more often that God isn’t some happy go lucky old guy in the sky. We forget that He is the King of the Universe. He doesn’t ask for praise, He demands it. But he gives us the freedom to choose. I think U.S. Christians have largely fallen into lazier times because we have a blend of the Sardis and Laodicea mentalities. (I know I do).
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 am

And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; "These things say He Who has the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; 'I know your works, that you have a name that you live, and are dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found your works perfect before God. Remember, therefore, how you have received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If, therefore, you do not watch, I will come on you as a thief, and you shall not know what hour I will come upon you. You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels.'

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches."
~Revelation 3:1-6

Wow. Fail. Well, maybe not fail totally. There are some folks in this church who might give it a D- overall. And I have to say those must be some really special folks to stay in a church like that, because I'm pretty sure they would know the spiritual state of that church. It's hard to stay in a church if you don't agree with what they are teaching. I'd be interested to know what others think about a situation like that. I really don't want this to come off as a brag (because it's not), but I have been pegged as a natural leader in pretty much any community group/work group/social group I've been a part of. (Wow, that reminds me of a semi-prophetic one of my Sunday School teachers made about me when I was very little... and in a disciplinary moment (because I was very little)… but I don't want to go off course here.) It's not that I think I'm a 'natural leader', I just don't have much of a problem giving my two cents, and taking initiative to get things done in a lot of circumstances. Pastors have seen this, and want to get me involved in building their church, but I've left a number of those churches because I just couldn't agree with what was being taught. So (getting back to the original point) kudos to those folks who are noted as worthy by Christ and can stay in the situation and continue to do their righteous acts (because, as we will see later on in Revelation, the "white raiment" that the saints are clothed with are their righteous acts... actually, let's skip ahead here to note that later verse).

Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife has made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.
~Revelation 19:7-8 (KJV)

for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. (ESV)

(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God’s holy people.) (NIV)

And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
~Revelation 6:11

In this church, Christ notes that He is the One who has the spirits and the stars. He is the leader, and the church should remember His leadership or else face the consequences. There are a couple of references to Christ's end days prophecy and other end days lessons in this letter that we should note.

You have a name that you live, and are dead

The hand of the Lord was upon me, and carried me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley that was full of bones, and caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. And He said unto me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord GOD, You know [but I don't]." Again He said unto me, "Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, 'O you dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord GOD unto these bones; 'Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live: and I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the LORD.''"
~Ezekiel 37:1-6

Be watchful... "If you will not watch"... come as a thief in the night

Watch, therefore: for you do not know when the master of the house comes, at even [sundown], or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing [daybreak], or in the morning: lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.
~Mark 13:35-37

But of the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I write unto you. For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. For when *they* shall say, "Peace and safety;" then sudden destruction will come on them, as labour upon a pregnant woman; and *they* shall not escape. But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. You are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
~1 Thessalonians 5:1-5

I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels

Whosoever therefore shall confess Me before men, him will I confess also before My Father Who is in heaven.
~Matthew 10:32

Also I say unto you, 'Whosoever shall confess Me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:'
~Luke 12:8

The shall walk with Me in white

And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed.
~Daniel 11:35

Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand [read "the wicked" as "they" from 1 Thessalonians 5 above]; but the wise shall understand.
~Daniel 12:10
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 am

And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; "These things say He Who is holy, He Who is true, He Who has the key of David, He Who opens, and no man shuts; and shuts, and no man opens; 'I know your works: behold, I have set before you an open door, and no man can shut it: for you have a little strength, and have kept My word, and hast not denied My name. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. Because you have kept the word of My patience, I also will keep you from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which you have, that no man take your crown. He who overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more: and I will write upon him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, which is new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God: and I will write upon him My new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches.'"
~Revelation 3:7-13

Philadelphia (meaning "brotherly love") is the second church to receive a spotless report. It also holds the same doctrine of knowing those "who say they are Jews, but lie, and are the synagogue of Satan". They keep God's word. They do not deny the name of Christ. And they have a task (an open door) set before them to accomplish. They will know what it is in that time.... but if you read the Bible carefully, I think it has probably already been laid out for them. And they look forward to accomplishing the task.

The Key of David

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Whom do men say that I, the Son of man, am?" And they said, "Some say that You are John the Baptist: some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets." He said unto them, "But Whom do you say that I am?" And Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus answered and said unto him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood has not revealed it unto you, but My Father Who is in heaven. And I say also unto you, that you are Peter ["a rock"], and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." Then charged He His disciples that they should tell no man that He was Jesus the Christ.
~Matthew 16:13-20

And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call My servant Eliakim ["Whom God raises up"] the son of Hilkiah ["God's inheritance"]: and I will clothe him with your robe, and strengthen him with your girdle, and I will commit your government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

And I will fasten him as a nail in a sure place; and he shall be for a glorious throne to his father's house. And they shall hang upon him all the glory of his father's house, the offspring and the issue, all vessels of small quantity, from the vessels of cups, even to all the vessels of flagons. "In that day," says the LORD of hosts, "shall the nail that is fastened in the sure place be removed, and be cut down, and fall; and the burden that was upon it shall be cut off: for the LORD has spoken it."
~Isaiah 22:20-25

The door that no one will shut

Thus says the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus ["the furnace keeper"/"the sun"], whose right hand I have held, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut; "I will go before you, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: and I will give you the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that you mayest know that I, the LORD, Who calls you by your name, am the God of Israel."
~Isaiah 45:1-3

Reading those quotes above - Eliakim is a type for Christ, and Cyrus is a type for Christ. Interestingly, Cyrus overthrew the king of Babylon at the end of the 70 years that Babylon ruled over Israel. Christ will also overthrow the antichrist at the end of his prophesied 7 year reign. Its a door that no one can shut.
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 am

7 “To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:

These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. 8 I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. 9 I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars—I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you. 10 Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.

11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown. 12 The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name. 13 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

“Little Strength” or little power. What does that mean? Numbers and money are power so one would think that means they are a small church. So the small church got commended, not the large church.

One would say you don’t have to be a big church with lots of money to make a difference in the kingdom of God then. You actually have everything you need at your disposal already. God gave it to you already.

It’s obvious they had trouble with persecution from the Jews such as other churches have shared in.

Both Myers and Coffman seem to suggest that though they won’t be completely oblivious to trials and live a care free life, they will be protected and able to persevere.

“What Christ promised is safely through trials, not exemption from trials. ‘There is no promise in Revelation that God’s people shall escape suffering and death, but there is the promise that no harm can come to their souls.’” (Coffman and Edward A. McDowell).

I love what Myers said about the pillar. The pillar supports the edifice. It is an integral part of the structure it belongs to. It also suggests permanence and stability.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:49 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:“Little Strength” or little power. What does that mean? Numbers and money are power so one would think that means they are a small church. So the small church got commended, not the large church.

It reminds me of what "those who understand" in Daniel's apocalypse will be helped with when they are "helped with a little help". Maybe the little help is the Church of Philadelphia?

And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days. Now when they shall fall, they shall be helped with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries. And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed.
~Daniel 11:33-35
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 am

And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; "These things say the Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 'I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot: I would [have you be either] cold or hot. So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of My mouth. Because you say, 'I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing;' and do not know not that you are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel you to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you mayest be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness does not appear; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous, therefore, and repent.'

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me. To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne. He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says unto the churches."
~Revelation 3:14-22

That's a pretty bad report, but I personally think sometimes people and churches use it to really beat themselves up more than they need to. Some take it to the extreme of absolute perfection in our walk -- but no one is perfect. That's why I like the images that Christ uses here to signify His authority to the church. This says "the Amen", the "faithful and true Witness", the "beginning". The word "Amen" simply means "that's that"; it's an absolution, an affirmation and an end of a matter. Jesus is the Christ, Amen, no "if's", "and's", "but's", or lukewarm "maybe's". He is faithful and true to that. And He's been God's plan for salvation from the beginning. That's an important message in the apocalypse because the antichrist will be standing in the rebuilt temple of God claiming to be the Christ, and claiming to be God Himself. If you have a wishy-washy lukewarm church that won't stand up and be a faithful and true witness for Jesus Christ in that time, then you have a useless, blind, no good, wretched, miserable witness. They don't have the purified gold of Christ (knowledge and wisdom in God's knowledge - Job 28:12&16; Psalm 19:9-10; Proverbs 25:11) nor white garments (righteous acts - Psalm 132:9; Revelation 19:18). But perfection? Only Christ was perfect. His grace covers our imperfections, and encourages us to be faithful and true witnesses to the best of our abilities.

Or at least that's how I read it.
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 pm

14 “To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

This city was wealthy and known for things such as a famous health resort. They were proud and self sufficient. They didn’t have trouble with persecution or a specific sin as Myers said, “she was half hearted in her devotion to God.”

To them cold and hot water were both useful. Lukewarm water was useless.

“the hot waters were healing, the cold waters refreshing—both having value to those who drank them. The church in ladodicea was ‘providing neither refreshment to the spiritually weary, nor healing for the spiritually sick. It was totally ineffective.”Myers

When you get too proud and self sufficient, you think you did everything. You think all your accomplishments are because of you. That all your gifts are because of you. That you don’t need god because you can do it all yourself. When truly we can’t do anything alone.

I love how both cold and hot water are useful. To us this is still true. That means we are all useful even though we are different and provide different things.

Return to Disciple Bible Study