Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

2 JOHN CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 am

This week we will be discussing 2 JOHN CHAPTER 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
Mathax

Re: 2 JOHN CHAPTER 1

by Mathax Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 am

It is interesting how it starts off

“1The elder,
To the lady chosen by God and to her children, whom I love in the truth”

It doesn’t make your gender Race or Age, If you have been called by God to do or Be something Do it.

“4It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us. 5And now, dear lady, I am not writing you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another.”

This is one of the greatest commandments and sounds simple, but it is one of the hardest to follow through. It is not just loving your brothers but Loving your enemies, the people that annoy you or make fun of you.

This is one of the shortest letters recorded and at the end of the Book John says why.

“12I have much to write to you, but I do not want to use paper and ink. Instead, I hope to visit you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.”

A lot of letters have this in them that we need to meet Face to Face so that our joy may be complete. Fellowship is important. It can be argued that you cannot be completely happy without fellowship with one another.
ChrisKwanDo

by ChrisKwanDo Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 am

I find this section interesting
“If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your home, and don’t say, “Welcome,” to him; for the one who says, “Welcome,” to him shares in his evil works.”

I assume this means that we are not to put up with false teachers. But how far does this go? It could easily be interpreted as a decently arrogant and hateful attitude in today’s society. This is why we must be educated on the words, meaning, and history of scripture
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:14 am

Truly loving everyone including your enemies is very difficult for sure, but incredibly liberating when you achieve it. Sometimes holding anger and grudges against people hurts no one but ourself. They don’t care if you’re angry at them. Free your heart and love them.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

Abd-al-Messih

by Abd-al-Messih Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:Sometimes holding anger and grudges against people hurts no one but ourself. They don’t care if you’re angry at them. Free your heart and love them.

You aren't kidding, and this is indeed something that I struggle with more than I'd care to admit.

ن

قَطْرَةً بِقَطْرَةِ يَمْلَأُ الْوَادِيَ - Drop by drop a river forms (Arabic proverb).
ح‍‍​ِ‍‍ين‍‍​َ‍‍م‍‍​َ‍‍ا ه‍‍​ُ‍‍ن‍‍​َ‍‍اك‌‌​َ ح‍‍​َ‍‍ي‍‍​َ‍‍اة‌‌​ٌ, ف‍‍​َ‍‍ه‍‍​ُ‍‍ن‍‍​َ‍‍اك‌‌​َ أ‌‌​ُم‍‍​ِ‍‍ل‌‌​ - While there is life, there is hope.
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:11 am

Hi all,

Great discussion here.

I personally read "the elect lady" as someone who was running a church, and the "children" as her congregation. Being openly Christian in Jerusalem at the time John was writing this was very dangerous, and I believe some things were said in code to help protect themselves. So when John warns against receiving certain people, I take this as supporting certain religious teachings in churches that are not Christian, or that are anti-Christian. To support other religions and gods other than Christianity is death to the soul, which we do not want to be a part of. But I don't take it as a general statement of not associating with non-Christians. The Bible states many times that to be arrogant and turn away people from God with "I'm better than you" behaviour is an abomination to God. Paul puts it this way:

I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world [entirely]. But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person” (Deuteronomy 17:7).
~1 Corinthians 5:9-13

And if anyone does not obey our word in this epistle, note that person and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet do not count him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
~2 Thessalonians 3:14-15

The intent is to bring that person to the realization that they are doing something wrong, and to repent and get back in good standing with God. But not to stonewall them because we are "better than them". It's a tough love approach that is sought, not elitism.
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:44 am

I think the only time you might have to back off a little on friendships is if you can see yourself being changed and negatively influenced by them and it’s hurting your walk. In that case you probably won’t even see it at first. If you can hold your own there’s no need to isolate and we can be friends with all sorts of beliefs and show them Jesus through our actions.

I do fine around people that drink. I go to bars and people order around me and it’s fine whatever. If I had a group of friends that pushed me to drink again or I just couldn’t resist around them I would probably have to back off a little or request other places to spend time together.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:08 am

Well put, Court. I respect your approach. As a parent, I also view Paul's approach above as tough love. Tough love has a good chance of working in the long run if you are genuinely acting in someone else's best interests out of love, even though the person may be upset with you for your behaviour in the short run.
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
Return to Disciple Bible Study