Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

1 JOHN CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:00 am

This week we will be discussing 1 JOHN CHAPTER 2. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 2
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 1 JOHN CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:19 am

15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

I was watching this anime recently and there was this girl who kept making summer break repeat over and over. She had some weird powers or something...don't make me try to explain it. Anyway, the same 2 weeks kept repeating for this group and a few of them figured it out eventually. It kept repeating because even though the group of friends had done so many fun activities to create a jam packed summer break...inside she didn't feel like they had done enough or had enough fun. Hard to explain, but basically they hadn't done enough. (the anime was the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya fyi I looked it up)

Enough doesn't really exist in this world. There is no such thing as enough. People with 100,000 dollars want a million dollars, and people with 1 million dollars want 10 million. People always want a bigger house or a better car. People always want the next trend or the newest technology. There is never enough good activities and fun looking selfies on your social media to prove you are having a good enough time.

There is never enough of what gives us pleasure. Happiness is fleeting and temporary so seeking what retains it is a difficult task sometimes. Its even worse for those of us with addiction problems. Instead of finding pleasure in something and going on our way, we keep coming back to that one thing over and over an abnormal amount of times. it gets to the point where it consumes our entire life and we believe that this one thing is the ONLY thing that can make us happy.

Don't get trapped in the highs of life and get stuck seeking "what's next?" constantly. Life can't always be highs and good times. Its difficult to live in the quiet periods when you get dependent on the loud and exciting high points. The high points loose their luster when you can't appreciate them as much. That's what makes them special...they don't happen every day.

you already have everything because you have God. you could be out on the streets and still have everything. someone with all the riches in the world but does not have God has nothing. You don't have to get caught up pursuing pleasures and temporary happiness from thing to feel full and satisfied because you have already found what completes you and fulfills you. contentment is found in God because everything he has to offer you is forever while everything this world offers is temporary.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

Xylina

by Xylina Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:45 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

I was watching this anime recently and there was this girl who kept making summer break repeat over and over. She had some weird powers or something...don't make me try to explain it. Anyway, the same 2 weeks kept repeating for this group and a few of them figured it out eventually. It kept repeating because even though the group of friends had done so many fun activities to create a jam packed summer break...inside she didn't feel like they had done enough or had enough fun. Hard to explain, but basically they hadn't done enough. (the anime was the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya fyi I looked it up)

Enough doesn't really exist in this world. There is no such thing as enough. People with 100,000 dollars want a million dollars, and people with 1 million dollars want 10 million. People always want a bigger house or a better car. People always want the next trend or the newest technology. There is never enough good activities and fun looking selfies on your social media to prove you are having a good enough time.

There is never enough of what gives us pleasure. Happiness is fleeting and temporary so seeking what retains it is a difficult task sometimes. Its even worse for those of us with addiction problems. Instead of finding pleasure in something and going on our way, we keep coming back to that one thing over and over an abnormal amount of times. it gets to the point where it consumes our entire life and we believe that this one thing is the ONLY thing that can make us happy.

Don't get trapped in the highs of life and get stuck seeking "what's next?" constantly. Life can't always be highs and good times. Its difficult to live in the quiet periods when you get dependent on the loud and exciting high points. The high points loose their luster when you can't appreciate them as much. That's what makes them special...they don't happen every day.

you already have everything because you have God. you could be out on the streets and still have everything. someone with all the riches in the world but does not have God has nothing. You don't have to get caught up pursuing pleasures and temporary happiness from thing to feel full and satisfied because you have already found what completes you and fulfills you. contentment is found in God because everything he has to offer you is forever while everything this world offers is temporary.

I definitely see how that happens a lot in my life. For me I usually turn to working a lot and thinking like I have to sacrifice now so that I can enjoy life later. One thing after the next though I see that nothings going to change one day in a way that I'm satisfied for good. Not that its wrong to want things but it just shouldn't be what we're chasing and driven by throughout life. God made us to reach out to others and do His work so if that's not my top priority in life then anything else seems selfish.
Xylina

by Xylina Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:26 am

If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him.
I John 2:29

This verse is really important for me because I feel like it can be put inward towards myself and who I should be as well as outward towards who I choose to spend my time with. So many people call theirselves christians especially here in America the so called "christian" country. But christian is just a word or a label. You see who people really are through their actions.

I always think of this through my daily life. I want to live in a way that people notice the difference and think where does that come from how is she like that. It opens up the opportunity to bring Jesus into every life. Where I work now is kind of like a sales and customer service type situation and my main goal is just trying to show love and positively impact every person who's life I touch and I regularly get customers coming back saying how nice and helpful and everything i am. I cant really openly talk about God at work but I've built these relationships with people so if i ever see them outside of work im sure I can lead the conversation to God too.
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:21 am

Nice posts so far. I only have a short one right now. I've been trying to get through the chapter (I do a daily study from 4:30am to 5:00am) but my toddler has woken up at 4:30 for the last couple of days, and needs me to lay with him to get him back to sleep. Children are the greatest gift in life! And can throw a monkey wrench into your plans like nobody's business.

I was in verses 12-18 today. Does anyone have any thoughts on John's statements on writing to "little children", "young men" and "fathers", yet having different motivations for writing to each? It's the same letter to all with the same message, but three different noted audiences with three different inspirations for the three audiences. Does anything interesting come across about those audiences and inspirations?

God bless.
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
Xylina

by Xylina Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:Nice posts so far. I only have a short one right now. I've been trying to get through the chapter (I do a daily study from 4:30am to 5:00am) but my toddler has woken up at 4:30 for the last couple of days, and needs me to lay with him to get him back to sleep. Children are the greatest gift in life! And can throw a monkey wrench into your plans like nobody's business.

I was in verses 12-18 today. Does anyone have any thoughts on John's statements on writing to "little children", "young men" and "fathers", yet having different motivations for writing to each? It's the same letter to all with the same message, but three different noted audiences with three different inspirations for the three audiences. Does anything interesting come across about those audiences and inspirations?

God bless.

I mostly just feel like it shows how everyone has different situations and circumstances and even though its one same word written it applies to all of us not one singular type of person.
Im not that great at reading into things though lol
Mathax

by Mathax Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:01 pm

12I am writing to you, dear children,
because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
13I am writing to you, fathers,
because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young men,
because you have overcome the evil one.

I think that it is different stages of our walk with Jesus or different peoples different walk.

Children are people who are very early in the stages of their walk with Jesus

Fathers are like the deacons and people who have been with Jesus through thick and thin over many years. The Elders and the people who you can go to for help because they have seen and know many things.

Young men would be the ones who are out there furthering his kingdom and fighting but are still learning and don't know everything yet.

I think if someone has another point of view I would be delighted to hear it.
Nasrani

by Nasrani Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 pm

I really love the verse that says "But if we do sin, we have an Advocate with the Father." I think it's so easy for us as Christians to be intimidated by an omnipotent, omnipresent God, but it's amazing how Christ reminds the Father that we are only human, and we "know not what [we] do" when we sin. And the amazing thing is, when God sees us through the lens of His Son, He sees Christ in our place - and not our broken, fragmented selves.
ق‍‍​َ‍‍ط‍‍​ْ‍‍ر‌‌​َة‌‌​ٌ ب‍‍​ِ‍‍ق‍‍​َ‍‍ط‍‍​ْ‍‍ر‌‌​َة‌‌​ٍ ي‍‍​َ‍‍م‍‍​ْ‍‍لأ‍َ​ُ ا‌‌​َل‍‍​ْ‍‍و‌‌​َاد‌‌​ِي‌‌​َ - Drop by drop, a river forms. (Arabic proverb)
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:14 am

Nasrani wrote:I really love the verse that says "But if we do sin, we have an Advocate with the Father." I think it's so easy for us as Christians to be intimidated by an omnipotent, omnipresent God, but it's amazing how Christ reminds the Father that we are only human, and we "know not what [we] do" when we sin. And the amazing thing is, when God sees us through the lens of His Son, He sees Christ in our place - and not our broken, fragmented selves.

Sorry it took me so long to approve your post. I had a busy work weekend and didn’t get on here for a few days.

Xylina

by Xylina Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

Nasrani wrote:I really love the verse that says "But if we do sin, we have an Advocate with the Father." I think it's so easy for us as Christians to be intimidated by an omnipotent, omnipresent God, but it's amazing how Christ reminds the Father that we are only human, and we "know not what [we] do" when we sin. And the amazing thing is, when God sees us through the lens of His Son, He sees Christ in our place - and not our broken, fragmented selves.

Soo true. I love that verse too. I always struggle with the feeling of not deserving based on whatever I've done wrong and stuff like that. It literally makes me want to cry when I'm reminded of Gods unconditional love. I dont have to carry the weight of my sins. *huugggeeee breath of relief * lol
Jodikuhar

by Jodikuhar Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:26 am

I’m quite a few studies behind here, but pulling this one up today, this is exactly what I needed. It’s been a rough few years for me searching for my happiness in places that will never bring me contentment. I have a long road out but wanted to say thanks to all the contributors here. It’s wonderful to have a forum of so many different lives to hear from and share experiences. And even more wonderful knowing that God will always see straight through my mess to the (made) perfect soul underneath.
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:58 am

Jodikuhar wrote:I’m quite a few studies behind here, but pulling this one up today, this is exactly what I needed. It’s been a rough few years for me searching for my happiness in places that will never bring me contentment. I have a long road out but wanted to say thanks to all the contributors here. It’s wonderful to have a forum of so many different lives to hear from and share experiences. And even more wonderful knowing that God will always see straight through my mess to the (made) perfect soul underneath.

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing too :)
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Shepherd's Chapel
Return to Disciple Bible Study