[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4838: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4840: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4841: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4842: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Disciple Message Board - View topic - 2 PETER 1
Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

2 PETER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 13, 2019 5:35 am

This week we will be discussing 2 PETER Chapter 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 2 PETER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 13, 2019 5:57 am

With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 am

"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 am

Over the years I've learned that when it comes to addiction, our ability to say no has never been lost. We've never lost the choice to say no to our unhealthy coping mechanisms. People say "I can't help it.", but that's not true. We have just been tricked into thinking we have no choice and that we can't say no. Its very very incredibly hard to say no, but you can say it.

Trust me I know, saying no in that moment will be on the most difficult things you have ever done. It won't even feel like the right choice because your brain is gonna be like, "you are going to regret this! we can make it without that!" You will make it though.

So yeah, you've got self control in you already. Its there. Believe it. Use it. Make it stronger.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Thu May 16, 2019 4:02 am

How do you think about the statement, "and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins" in verse 9? Up until this morning, I hadn't really thought too much about it, but just thought that it was a poor condition to be in. But this morning it struck me as a statement of being unable to empathize with others - of not being able to show that brotherly kindness or love that the proceeding verses spoke of.

It kind of reminds me of some times in the past when I've had conversations with managers about when partners in our firm would complain about some work taking (what they considered to be) too long, or not up to the standard they believed it should have, and the manager empathizing, saying, "Don't worry, they don't remember what it's like to be a new student who isn't familiar with all concepts they know well through experience." Is that how you understand this statement by Peter? As a statement that someone who lacks kindness or love is really someone who forgot they used to struggle with the same things that those around them might? They lack empathy?

It was a really cool revelation this morning. Thanks Court, for inspiring me to go back and look at this chapter again. I might not have had that experience if it wasn't for you :) Iron sharpens iron.
"Whenever you find any statement in Christian writings which you can make nothing of, do not worry: leave it alone; there will come a day, perhaps years later, when you suddenly see what it meant."
~ C.S. Lewis

Mathax

by Mathax Sun May 19, 2019 11:36 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 am

Return to Disciple Bible Study