Chit Chat (If you have topics that fit other forums, please post in the appropriate forum, otherwise post until your hearts content.)

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

TATTOOS

by Kevin Young Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:00 pm

TATTOOS

From Kevin.
Please don't post a comment unless you read all of this. I'm going to try to make this quick (yeah right) because I am cleaning out my office to turn it into a baby's room. That's right, my wife and I are having another little girl, and we are pumped.

The reason I wanted to address tattoos today is because we just posted some pictures of some of our die-hard fans who have gotten Disciple tattoos... not to promote their tattoo, but to simply say thank you for being such a fan of our music. We love our die-hard fans! Now we posted pictures of die-hard fans who have Disciple license plates, trucks, scooters, signs, and guitars... but none of those things are controversial so no one is saying very much about that. Which is expected. So let me start by saying two things, and then I will give my "opinion" about what the Bible says about tattoos.

1. We don't want to encourage anyone to get tattoos. Especially young people. I got 5 tattoos from the time I was 19-26 years old, and now wish I hadn't gotten any of them. That's the problem with tattoos... they're kind of hard to get off. So if you are a young person thinking about getting a tattoo, my advice is DON'T DO IT. People dramatically change over time. And trust me, you will be a different person 10 years from now. So my advice is don't go putting things on your body that will be there 50 years from now. Because there is a 99.99% chance you will wish you hadn't have done that. Sorry tattoo artists. You have my permission to be mad at me now, and download our music illegally :)

2. There are a lot of people who feel STRONGLY that it is morally wrong to get a tattoo. We love all of you that feel that way, and would never want to offend any of you... especially those of you that are fans of our music. Most people that speak out against tattoos do it in a spirit of "love" and a desire for Christians to pursue "holiness." And that is such a beautiful thing. Purity and holiness matter. So if you feel that way, I'm glad you are reading this. And I bring up this topic with gentleness and a peaceful spirit, and have no desire to be hateful towards anyone and sincerely hope that no one will be hateful towards us. Disciple is not a perfect band, full of not-perfect men. But we DO want to point people to Jesus Christ. Because he is the perfect one, and it is only through Him that we can know God and become God's children.

So like I said... with gentleness and a peaceful spirit, here is my opinion on tattoos. I think it is a VERY BAD idea to get a tattoo, but I don't think that it is morally wrong. Most people who take a strong stand against tattoos will quote Leviticus 19:28 "Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD." At first glance, you would think this is a closed case. Tattoos are wrong, let's move on, right? But I think there is a problem with trying to apply Old Testament Laws to a Christian.

Problem #1 - If someone thinks that Christians should obey Old Testament verses, particularly in Leviticus, then you can't pick and choose which verses of the Old Testament you are going to follow. If you are going to follow one, you have to follow them all. So if you are going to believe that tattoos are wrong because of this Leviticus verse... here are some other rules you need to be following.
1. You can't eat or touch a pig (ham, pork, bacon). Deut. 14:8. Lev. 11:8 Which means you can't play football or drums.
2. You can't wear mixed fabric like 50% cotton/50% polyester t-shirts. Leviticus 19:19 which is the same chapter as the tattoos verse.
3. "Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards." Leviticus 19:27 also the same chapter as the tattoo verse. So did you shave today?
4. You "have" to be circumcised. Leviticus 12:3
5. There are rules for women who are menstruating. I'm just going to let you read this one for yourself because I don't know an appropriate way to say it. Leviticus15:19-30. But I will say that NO ONE DOES THIS!!! And no one ever quotes this verse to another Christian, and says "Why aren't you doing this? Didn't you know this is wrong? Why haven't sacrificed a pigeon for your uncleanness?"

There are many many more laws like these that no Christian follows. But these laws are right there in the book of Leviticus. So why don't we obey them?

Problem #2 - These ceremonial laws are for Jews, not for Christians. The apostle Paul and Peter fought very hard to distinguish the difference between a Jew and a Christian. In Acts, many Jewish Christians were saying "you have to be circumcised" to be a Christian. Well of course they were. It is written in Leviticus 12:3 (seven chapters before the tattoo verse) that you have to be circumcised. In Acts 15:1 men from Judea came saying, "unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved." These men also told Paul that new Christians should be "commanded to keep the law of Moses" (the Law of Moses is the first 5 books of the Bible including Leviticus) Acts 5:5. So the disciples and apostles got together and here is what they decided. Peter stood up and said this about new Christians in Acts 5 "Brothers, you all know that God chose me from among you some time ago to preach to the Gentiles (non-Jews) so that they could hear the Good News and believe. God knows people's hearts, and he confirmed that he accepts Gentiles (non-Jews) by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as he did to us. He made no distinction between us and them, for he cleansed their hearts through FAITH. So why are you now challenging God by burdening the Gentile (non-Jewish) believers with a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors were able to bear? We believe that we are all saved the same way, by the undeserved grace of the Lord Jesus." Acts 5:7-11. Now did you catch that? Peter, (the very man that Jesus said he would build His church on) said that the law of Moses (literally Leviticus) is a yoke that Christians should not have to bear, and instead they are made right with God and their hearts are cleansed by FAITH in Jesus Christ. That is why I have the "opinion" that it is not morally wrong to get a tattoo, and why we don't have to obey any of the Leviticus laws. Because Peter said that it is a yoke we should not have to bear. He literally said you don't have to be circumcised or follow any Levitical laws to be saved. Instead, we are saved by FAITH in Jesus. That doesn't mean that we get to sin all we want because God doesn't care about what we do, and Paul talks a lot about that in the book of Romans. If you want to know what he says about it... read it.

Now the New Testament does have a verse that could apply to tattoos. It is 1 Corinthians 6:19 which says "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." Again at first glance, it looks like a closed case. But the verse before it (v. 18) shows the context of what Paul (the author of 1 Corinthians) is talking about when he says "Flee from sexual immorality. ALL OTHER SINS a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body." Did you catch that? "All other sins a person commits are outside the body" except for sexual sin. So when Paul talks about honoring our bodies, he is talking about sexual purity and no other sin.

That doesn't mean getting tattoos is not a sin. It might be a sin. But in my opinion, I don't think that it is. And it is my "opinion" that the Leviticus verses do not apply to Christians and that the 1 Corinthians 6:19 verse is specifically referring to sexual sin and no other sin. So again, let me be clear. I don't think it is wrong to get a tattoo, but I definitely don't think it is a good idea either.

So with that being said, we do want to show our appreciation to our die-hard fans. They all show it in many different ways. Some with tattoos, and some by the distance they travel to see us play a concert. You don't have to get a tattoo to be a die-hard fan, and we don't encourage you to do that. And we don't want our fans who have Disciple tattoos to feel guilty about it either, because we don't think they anything to feel guilty about regarding their tattoo. But we do hope that all of you like our music. And we want to post pictures of our die-hard fans that like our music to celebrate them. Our music is how we make our living, and we have to let the people who financially support us know that we love them and appreciate them. But at the end of the day... being a Disciple fan means nothing. It all boils down to whether you know Jesus Christ and have FAITH in Him. He does not want you to be His fan. He asks for much more than for us to just be a fan of God. He asks us to follow Him. To be His disciple (Luke 9:23). And honestly... nothing else matters.

We love you all, thanks for taking the time to read this, and we respect everyone's opinion on this topic.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
number2-JC

Location: ohio, somewhere between cleveland and columbus, a little to the right

Re: TATTOOS

by number2-JC Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Cool post buddy!!! and congrats on another kid.
I would have to say I completely agree with you.
I don't think I will ever get a tattoo but if I did it would be a templar cross. :cool:

the list of rules sure are off but kinda fun.

1. You can't eat or touch a pig (ham, pork, bacon). I don't eat pork just for health benifits. do you know what they feed them?
2. You can't wear mixed fabric. ooh... I love my poly/cotton ripstop pants!
3. Do not trim off the hair on your temples or trim your beards. what?
4. You "have" to be circumcised. hey got that one. :blush:
5. There are rules for women who are menstruating. ah, yeah I think I'm safe there.......

fun late night reading.
It's dimwit season and there's no bag limit.
ShArP

by ShArP Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 am

Read it last night, me and my fiance completely agree with you and I always believed the same thing. We both might get a few tattoos in the future, neither of us have any yet, but we won't get any unless it something that means something to us.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Heavy_Metal_Freak88

by Heavy_Metal_Freak88 Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Kevin Young wrote:So if you are a young person thinking about getting a tattoo, my advice is DON'T DO IT. People dramatically change over time. And trust me, you will be a different person 10 years from now. So my advice is don't go putting things on your body that will be there 50 years from now. Because there is a 99.99% chance you will wish you hadn't have done that.

:eek: ....
Well, to be honest...
I've been contemplating seriously about getting a tattoo. I've always wanted one... I even had the tattoo shop picked out. But now...I'm really starting to reconsider. Even though it is something that means a great deal to me, I suppose in 10-12 years I'd regret getting it...unless I got it some where other than my wrist...but then, what's the point if I can't see it, right? :mrgreen:
This year I celebrated 11 years as a Jesus Freak and also 11 years since taking my purity vow. My tattoo(s) was/were going to be "Love" on my left wrist and "Bondslave for the Messiah" on my right wrist, both written in Hebrew. I've resisted praying about it...in fear God would say this was something He didn't want for me personally. That should have been the tip off, right there. :blush: We'll see where it goes...but I am somewhat certain after reading this and after I pray about it, I will wind up getting neither. lol But...I'll probably be thankful for it. :lol:

Thanks for sharing and congrats on the newest little one. :)
"Dreams don't make your life easier, they make it possible to endure hardship."
- Erwin Raphael McManus
Lainie
Bouncer

by Lainie Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:14 pm

I enjoyed reading the posts when you posted this on facebook yesterday. Some people are just so fired up...lol. I teach middle school/high school and kids are SHOCKED when I tell them I have no tattoos. They just think it's something you have to do when you turn 18; like a rite of passage. I know students who are designing their future tattoos and they're only 13-14. If you've ever seen an episode of tattoo nightmares, those stories are CRAZY! I try to be a good role model and I don't want to cause anybody else to stumble since kids remember EVERYTHING you say or do, even if it's just a fleeting thought you mentioned ONCE...lol.
The Disciple fan-mily are just the friends I haven't necessarily met yet :)
WanderingStar
Bouncer

by WanderingStar Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all that up, Kevin.

I have one tattoo that I got last year, and have considered getting another in the next month or two. I am extremely intentional in why and where, and for me it's largely to redefine and counter certain experiences from before I knew Christ. One of my classmates in college once said in relation to the Corinthians verse that if our bodies are temples, than tattoos could be considered banners on the temple. Even though that's outside the context of the original letter, I think the thought is beautiful and perhaps relevant for some.

I certainly think that this is a matter where people need to follow their personal convictions, and not force what is right or wrong in their mind on anyone else (see Romans 14). Where the Bible isn't absolute, we have to humbly follow the leading of the Spirit... and wisdom insofar as we can see it or learn it from spiritual leaders wiser than ourselves.

I do wonder what it's going to look like when my generation hits our 70s. We'll have a lot of colorful old folks. :P

And the discussion on facebook is great reading material if anyone hasn't seen it yet. :)
- Mary

"Is it OK to not know, not have the answers, and simply be someone who is searching for Someone to save me?"

We are the Alliance:
www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
www.twitter.com/discipalliance
Cole

by Cole Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 pm

Very nicely said Kevin, I am 30 and got my only tattoo 2 years ago and do not regret it, at least not yet anyway :mrgreen: Kevin I would like to ask what has changed your mind about your personal tattoos, and I understand if you don't want to answer. I have been thinking about getting another, but don't want to regret it later, and I really like the Holy spirit tattoo. I am still growing in my relationship with Christ, and think we all are, I just know you have already been threw the multiple tattoos and probably have a really good reason why you wish you did not get them. Thanks either way for your post I really enjoyed reading it!!
Reject Religion Embrace Jesus!
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20
Steph

by Steph Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Kevin. It certainly gives me something to think about. I've considered getting a tattoo, but don't have any definite plans so far. It is definitely something I will need to think and pray about. If I do end up getting one, it will be something meaningful and planned out.
~How precious to me are your thoughts O God? How vast is the sum of them? Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139:17-18~
Reach2011

Location: Costa Verde...but since that's not real, Mon Valley, PA

by Reach2011 Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Revelation 19:16 says that Jesus will have His name (wither YHWH or Yeshua) written on His thigh....tattoo? Maybe.
Hearts once soft have turned to stone, left their King to die alone
Lips that once had echoed praise now mock the holy gift of grace
Prophecy fulfilled in death complete redemption with final breath
Israel lifting up her King not in praise but suffering
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:21 pm

I've had my tattoos a good while and I have yet to regret them, and one I got in high school even.

I've had one tattoo that is the sword of the spirit. Its a drawing I did of a firey sword and I was always drawing it on my arm. I did that for several years, and I loved it there. I wasn't totally sure what it meant yet I just knew I had to have it tattooed. My brother redrew it nicer for me. I had "ma kin" written underneath. Partially an Aerosmith tribute. Steven Tyler said that the song "mama kin" meant keeping in the touch with the spirits that got you where you are in the first place. So I realized that I had been drawing the sword of the spirit from the armor of God. So its the holy spirit, my mama kin. Or papa kin lol. Had it about 12 years and don't regret it. Its my brother's artwork and its the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God. Can't regret that.

My other one is a hummingbird. Its a tribute to my grandmother who died on Easter of 2007. My heart still hurts from her death, its a wound only heaven can heal. Had it almost 6 years, don't regret it.

I really don't think tattoos for bands or lyrics is good usually because your taste and interest in a band can change over time. I have a friend who got a Hinder tattoo and had to cover it up later, enough said lol. Yes I have an Aerosmith thing in one, but it is a legendary band that I know I will always love. Disciple's lyrics mean enough to me that I've consider part of the chorus for "watch it burn" as a tattoo, but I will probably think about it for a long time before I would do it. See if I still like the tattoo idea a year later.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
disciple freak 101

by disciple freak 101 Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 am

I am amazed at your insight and i think this is a great thread. However i think it depends for each person if tattoos are a sin or not, for me they are i have been into some really nasty things in the past and i have found ny attraction to women is increased with tattoos gauages colored hair the whole rocker appeal. For me when i just start to think about different styles of tats and such it causes a great downfall for me i believe in the instance they are sin for ne but not for everyone
Can you feel this phoenix rising?
implodespw

by implodespw Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:45 pm

I know this is late, and have been pondering a reply since I first read you post on Facebook. I have been looking for a new shop since I got to Germany so I can get my tat but haven't found one yet. I am so busy these days that I line an appointment or just a stop that on my days off I stay home licking my wounds. I have three tattoos and am proud of each. My favorite and my second one is the one in my pic to the right. A buddy designed it to symbolize the first band I was in right out of high school. It represents the three crosses with the largest one to symbolize the Sword of Truth all wrapped in a crown of thorns. It was an awesome design and one that I decided to have inked. My others are tribal. Either way I do not regret mine and I will be 40.......sheesh did I just say that?
“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”- Jeremiah 29:11
bull4jc

by bull4jc Wed May 01, 2013 10:55 am

I have half sleeve on my right forearm. And one of the big reasons I wanted to get a tattoo was because after seven to eight years of severe self-mutilation, my arms are so scared up and to be honest they look either hamburger or a war zone. Both forearms look that bad. Another reason I got a tattoo was because a lot of my scars are so deep that they won't ever go away and I didn't want to have to look at them for the rest of my life. And more importantly, if and when I get married, I don't want my husband to look at my arms all the time and I'm pretty sure he won't want to either.
But before I got my tattoo, I did a lot of praying, a lot of research, a lot of asking questions. And after two and a half to two years of gathering information and mostly being lead of God, I decided what to get. I'll set the scene for you. An angel of God goes down into hell to battle a demon. They fight. The angel over comes the demon. And with the demon in a defensive position and the demons axe covering his face from the light, the angel cuts off the demons head (cutting off Satan's authority) and the demons axe head off it's handle (cutting off Satan's offenses). And resting in the fire there's a tomb stone that says, "We will change the world with the stories we tell". And on the angels robe is Revelations 12:10-11, "Now it has come. The kingdom, power, and authority of our LORD and of his Christ; for the accuser of our brethren has been cast down, which accused them before the LORD day and night. And they over came him by the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony. And loved not there life even unto death".
My point after all my experiences and research, here is what I came to know: It is not wrong to get a tattoo. But neither should you get one just to be doing, to look cool, to impress anyone. Because a tattoo is an amazing tool to witness. I can't tell you how many times I have had people come up to me ask me what my tattoo is, and them say, "Wow. I really needed to hear that.". But I can't take the credit, it was what God had established me to get. If you want to get one ask God first. Because tattoos are not for everyone. And it you do feel lead to ask God what to get. Because when you gave God your life, your physical body was also included.
I'm not a saying I proclaim to know it all, I'm not. I'm just posting what my research brought me to know. Thanks for reading!!!

Love,
Rose
"My knowledge of this life is small,
The eye of faith is dim;
But tis' enough that Christ knows all,
And I shall be with Him."
-Richard Baxter
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed May 01, 2013 11:40 am

I've got a few scars I'd like to cover up too, but I probably shouldn't get forearm tattoos with my job field. Unless I wear long sleeves forever at work lol. I have some upper arm scars I could cover with something but I haven't made up my mind yet. I had an idea of getting a bible verse over them, so you can read the verse but still see a little bit of scar underneath, I thought about getting "be faithful unto death and I will give you the crown of life" rev 2:10

if I could pull off getting Lamentations 3:19-31 tattooed on my back I would, those verses saved my life

bull4jc

by bull4jc Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 am

Sounds cool. If your skin is paler, like mine, you can get away with bright colors. When I got my tattoo I wanted color even if it meant spending a little more money. But with me being pale, the tattoo artist didn't have to layer on the colors to make them show up.
"My knowledge of this life is small,
The eye of faith is dim;
But tis' enough that Christ knows all,
And I shall be with Him."
-Richard Baxter
Ric

by Ric Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Wow, Kev. That's heavy... right all up in your grille. When I was in college, I wanted one of the blue guitar in my avatar on my left upper arm(because I'm a lefty... though I play righty), wrapped up by a Chinese dragon(because in their zodiac I'm a dragon) wearing a Cherokee headdress with Viking helmet horns showing(my ancestry), holding a rebel flag in one hand and a .44 Magnum in the other(I was very different back then, suffice it to say). Since then, I've quit meddling in zodiacs and horoscopes and all that - because God wants ALL of my faith, and I can't give that when I'm nose-deep in reading my fortune. While I'm proud to know my ancestry, it makes no difference whether I'm white, black, Iranian, Russian... God loves me and wants me regardless. Besides, I'm more Heinz 57 than anything else anyway. I'm certainly not the rough-housing shoot'em-up redneck animal I used to be, either. I don't even have that blue guitar anymore! And I've come to prefer a hi-capacity S&W .40 to the ol' hawg leg .44(not that I have either one... yet). So, 15 years later, if I'd gotten that tattoo, it'd be practically meaningless to me now. Merely a reminder of who I WAS. Or worse yet, it may have been something to keep me bound up in that lifestyle, as to keep that image alive. Glad I didn't get it after all.

Plus, boot camp kinda splattered that whole Levitical shaving law all over the place.
"Yes, I am coming soon." -Jesus
QuickTwist

by QuickTwist Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 pm

This may shock some of you but I really don't think tattoos are a sin even though I don't have any of my own. Sure they don't always look good or hold their value but when I see a Jesus tattoo I always think "man, that guy (or girl) is awesome". Tattoos are kind of a double edged sword because it can send a message to people and depending on the message (if it is comprehendible) it can tell a lot about someone. But some people just get tattoos for themselves which is fine too. I have no problem with someone getting a tattoo with the picture of a loved one who has past away like Jesus but wait... he's not dead anymore. :lol: Seriously though, tattoos are fine but you have to be focused on the future when you get one or else 20 years down the road you could think to yourself "why did I get this stupid thing."

I've thought about getting a tattoo myself for quite a while but the time has not yet come for me to get it. If I were to get one it would be on the left side of my chest over my heart. It would be a picture of Jesus with a crown of thorns on His head and He would have a look of anguish on His face looking up at the sky.
[center]Hi! :) How are you doing today?[/center]
saved7

by saved7 Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:29 pm

I got my tattoo when I was 15. Yes, 15! I am now 42 and in the process of having it removed. It is not fun, it is not cheap and it is UGLY! So, what I do now while it is half there, half gone, is cover it with temporary ones. There are lots of websites that will design them for you if you tell them what you want. They have some that look SO real these days and they are cheap and you can change them anytime! I take my kids to my tattoo removal treatments so they can see how fun they are, just in case they get any ideas! hahahaha Hurts much more than it did when I got the silly thing, that's for sure!
Lainie
Bouncer

by Lainie Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Can I be nosy & ask what it is/was that you're having removed? Why removal instead of a coverup? You don't have to answer, I'm just curious...
The Disciple fan-mily are just the friends I haven't necessarily met yet :)
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:06 am

Some tattoos are harder to cover than others, like on America's Worst Tattoos! They are awesome at it! I could watch that show for HOURS.

Lessons from that show:

1. If your friend is a bad tattoo artist, you need to just not let them tattoo you. You might hurt their feelings, but hey the tattoo is permanent on your body not theirs.

2. Don't take bets where the loser gets a tattoo, just a bad idea.

Return to Chit Chat