Discuss the band's gear, your gear, gear for sale, gear you need, dream gear, or just gears in general.

Moderator: Bouncers

Skilletx6

Electric Bass

by Skilletx6 Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 am

Hey guys. I am thinking about getting into the electric bass and I need some tips/hints/guitar brands.
Just a little background of my music experience. I played piano for about a year and was good at it. Idk if that helps any but I thought I would put it out there in case it does. I've seen a Squier by Fender starter pack, but I don't know what to choose. I'm more interested in the finger bass style than anything else.
notebooknut

Re: Electric Bass

by notebooknut Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:39 am

I'd say the piano thing does help... At least then you've got musical talent! I don't know much about bass guitars though... Sorry.
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Skilletx6

by Skilletx6 Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:30 am

It's fine. I've got a buddy who knows about them, but he is more electric guitar
New_Creation

by New_Creation Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:39 am

I'm more of a guitarist than a bassist, but I still love playing bass, and I play at youth and in church. Learning your scales and chord numbering is probably the biggest thing to do, along with getting your sense of rhythm really tight. Also, many people treat bass as a kind of 'noob guitar', which you shouldn't do. It may have a similar design and tuning, but the bass is its own animal and has a much different role in a band scenario. You should make sure you exercise your right hand - it can easily start to ache after playing a whole bunch of songs in a live setting. And if you plan on recording with it, get a compressor! (especially if you play a 5 string).
By the way, your experience on piano will definitely be useful - fundamentally, all music is built from the same stuff, and piano is a fantastic way to visualise scales and intervals which are applicable to any pitched instrument. As for what bass to get, it's hard to say because taste in instruments is a very subjective thing. Squier stuff is pretty good for the price, and Ibanez has some great budget basses which are very comfortable to play on (my bass is an Ibanez). I also used to own a Sterling SUB Ray5 (the entry-level version of the very popular Music Man Stingray), and that was a solid instrument for $500 Australian.
Skilletx6

by Skilletx6 Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:41 am

Ok. Idk if this helps either. I play by sheet music. I can't play, piano anyway, by ear. But if I memorize a song I can play it without music.
Ric

by Ric Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Take a six-string guitar and hold it up to a four-string bass. The top four strings are tuned the same, just the bass is an octave lower. Now take a seven-string guitar and hold it up to a five-string bass. The top five strings are tuned the same, only the bass is an octave lower. This is all assuming standard tuning.

Want a top-notch bass? Look for a Curbow. Last I heard it's a Cort model now, which is mass produced. But a non-Cort Curbow was handmade by the late Greg Curbow. Many pros played his basses. My wife cared for him while he was on hospice with brain cancer - he was truly a talented luthier.

Carvin and Fender both make great basses, too. Peavey is a good bass for your dollar, from my experience. Just Ebay/Craigslist away, my friend - that's how I found my Ibanez guitar!
"Yes, I am coming soon." -Jesus
Return to Gear