Discuss your favorite verses, ask questions about passages, etc.

Moderator: Bouncers

Sabrina

by Sabrina Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:32 am

Me too, girl. I think it's always good to read several different translations. Sometimes people tell me that KJV is the real Bible, the only one that's truly God's word, like it's the original or something, but they're forgetting something. The original is in Hebrew, and KJV is a translation too. Most of the different translations are translated directly from the Hebrew, and since a lot of foreign words are hard to translate into English, each one translates it differently. That doesn't mean some are wrong and some are right, it's just that each one might give a different angle on the meaning of some Hebrew word. Like "He is the anointing sacrifice for our sins" instead of "He is the propitiation for our sins." Same thing, different way to say it. When you get down to it, it's all God's word. So it's just good to read several translations to get all different angles of it. That's how I see it, anyway. ;)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our noses and we blew it!"

Sedagive?!
markjcollier

by markjcollier Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:22 pm

It may not be KJV, but that is the BEST quote ^ :D
Sabrina

by Sabrina Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:19 pm

Haha! Thanks, I thought so too.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our noses and we blew it!"

Sedagive?!
lappinglivingwater

Re: What version of the Bible do you use?Which is correct?

by lappinglivingwater Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 am

I read the KJV - more specifically Bullinger's "The Companion Bible". The Companion Bible is bar-none the best study Bible I've read. I like to also use a Strong's Concordance to study the original languages of the Bible and the KJV is one of the easiest Bibles to do this with. Plus, I like the poetry of the older English.

Which is correct? Technically that would be the original manuscripts directly from the hands of the authors. Some meaning always gets lost in translating any language, and also over the passage of time. But we don't have access to those, and many of us are not experts in the ancient Hebrew and Greek, so I like to use the KJV.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
lappinglivingwater

Re:

by lappinglivingwater Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 pm

markjcollier wrote:Similar gaps in logic exist in your concern about "Easter" in the KJV. Although I have not looked to the Greek to see what it says, the fact that the people who captured Paul referred to Easter on the calendar means nothing. If I refer to Easter myself that does not indicate anything about me other than that I may be referring to a particular day on the calendar. Until you look to the Greek, we really cannot say whether a word belongs or not and, honestly, the logic used leaves a lot of gaps.

To clarify the concern, the word "Easter" is not in the Greek manuscripts. It is a genuine change in the transliteration of the text. The word in the manuscripts is "pascha" (G3957 - πάσχα), which appears 29 times in the New Testament. The word is translated as "passover" 28 times, and as "easter" once (the time in question).

Source: http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G3957&t=KJV

For anyone who likes to drill down to this level of detail, I love you, because you are rare! :D

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
Vambram

by Vambram Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:58 pm

When I was born again in 1978 in a small Baptist church. My church and pastor and all of the members of the church read almost exclusively from the KJV. My very first study Bible was the Scofield Reference Bible, KJV edition. I still have that bible, which was given to me by my parents as a Christmas gift in December of 1978. In 1982, I was a freshman at Tennessee Temple University in Chattanooga, Tn. At that time, the KJV was still probably the most popular bible amongst Baptists. In 1986, I transferred to Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Mo. However, before I transferred, the NKJV had already been published and had started becoming widely accepted in some Baptist churches. In the late 1980s, I believe that the Holy Spirit guided me to choose the NKJV as the preferred English version of the Bible to use for me. My most favorite and most often used study bible is still the Scofield Reference, or Scofield Study Bible.

I believe that the very best English versions are (not necessarily in order) the: NKJV, the KJV, the ESV, the NIV, the MKJV, and the NASB.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:42 am

Vambram wrote:My very first study Bible was the Scofield Reference Bible, KJV edition.

I've heard my pastor respectfully reference notes from Scofield, but had never heard of anyone who had read from it. That's cool!

Vambram

by Vambram Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:15 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:
Vambram wrote:My very first study Bible was the Scofield Reference Bible, KJV edition.

I've heard my pastor respectfully reference notes from Scofield, but had never heard of anyone who had read from it. That's cool!

The Scofield Study Chain Reference Bible KJV edition is still the bible I use most often when I am studying the Scriptures. I believe that if you look for online resources regarding Dr. Scofield's notes and commentary, then you will probably be able to locate and then check it out for yourself. :cool:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Malachi3:6

by Malachi3:6 Tue May 27, 2014 7:15 am

I used to exclusively use the NASB. The NASB is a very literal translation, which I believe is crucial to understanding to Word. It doesn't matter what WE think it says (or should say) it only matters what the original Writer's intent was. Context is king, but a poor translation can (and does) change too many things. I still use the NASB, but also the WEB (World English Bible). I have actually been working on a team to create a new version (which we recently finished translating). Right now we're going through and double and triple checking everything, even down to the footnotes. This Version is based primarily on the Masoretic Hebrew and the Greek Critical texts, but the Septuagint, Syriac Peshitta, Latin Vulgate, Dead Sea Scrolls and Samaritan Pentateuch are all checked as well to make sure we note any variations in the text.

Even the Greek Majority Texts are checked as well, again to primarily note any textual variants.

For my personal reading, I have been using this version a lot (we have named it the Shem Qadosh Version [SQV]). For in-depth studies, I use the Hebrew/English & Greek/English Interlinear Bible, along with a Strong's Concordance, Thayer's Greek Lexicon, Brown-Driver-Briggs and the Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible [by Jeff Benner].
Polish Tom
Administrator

by Polish Tom Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Do the people of China, Middle East, etc... worry about what version of Bible they read? Heck no.

The correct version of the Bible is the one you actually read. I rarely touch the KJV simply because I do not understand it. When I read the Good Word, it is usually The Message, but I cross reference with NIV and a few others.

Do not allow anyone to put their yoke of legalism upon you. Jesus set us free of all that nonsense.
"In paradise remember me. Romance me. Ransom me." - Disciple

"...the Lord has told you what is good, & this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, & to walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8
SevenFaith
Administrator

by SevenFaith Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:14 pm

I like the NKJ, ESV, The Message and NIV. I have several King James versions too. I agree with Tom that the most important thing is reading it.

My favorite bible is my Archaeolohigal Study bible NIV. It includes such notes as Acts 2:15 "These men are not drunk as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning!"

On a festival day such as Pentecost, a Jew would not break his fast until at least 10:00 am. So it extremely unlikely that a group of men would have been drunk at such an early hour. - notes from Archaeological Study Bible
Support Disciple by requesting songs, buying CDs, attending concerts (bring a friend), buying merchandise and praying for them.

One of the reasons that legalism is particularly dangerous because it can look ``holy''. But its focus is on externals.
Lainie
Bouncer

by Lainie Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:38 am

Wow...y'all resurrected a thread from 11 years ago? Cool! I mostly read NKJV because the churches I had attended used it & it was easier to follow along. I have the Logos Bible app on my phone; you can read a verse in any translation you want with a click of a button. It's pretty cool.
The Disciple fan-mily are just the friends I haven't necessarily met yet :)
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:40 pm

I like to bounce inbetween different ones because sometimes one phrases a verse just the right way for me to understand it better than another version.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
TFK_disciple_fan

Location: Somewhere in the deep dark depths of Redneck country

by TFK_disciple_fan Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:32 am

I grew up reading NIV and NKJV, but now I read mostly out of NLT just because I can understand it easier.

In the 1500's, before KJV was avaliable, Tyndale translated the Bible into English (illegally I might add - the only accepted Bible in those days was the Vulgate), his aim was for "even the plough boy to be able to read and understand" (paraphrasing). Honestly, as much trouble as I have understanding KJV, I don't bother to read out of it. The most important thing for me is to actually walk away from my Bible having understood it and learned something new, and I rarely get that when I read out of KJV. But it's just personal preference. LIke my mom prefers NKJV and my grandma prefers KJV and NIV.

by Malachi3:6 Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:02 am

It is not simply a matter of the way it is worded, or how easy it is to read. The more dynamic a translation becomes (that is, the more "modern" we make it), the less like the writer's intent does it become.

Do people of China or the Middle East care which version? I have no idea, I've never been nor asked. (Unless by Middle East you mean Israel, in which case they have the advantage over most people by being able to read Hebrew, the original language of Scripture).

If you want to see why getting a more accurate Bible DOES matter, I suggest you do the following.

Read 1 John 5:7 in the KJV, then read it in the NIV/NASB/NLT/ESV or another modern version (NOT the NKJV). You'll notice a HUGE difference in the verse. The reason is in which source texts were used to create the translation. Many people today still think the English versions are a translation from the Latin Vulgate. Not true. Today's Bibles are translated from Hebrew & Aramaic (for the 'Old Testament') and Greek (for the 'New Testament'). These are the original languages. However, there are three primary schools of thought that go into the 'New Testament' parts. That being, which set of Greek texts did the translators use?

If they used the oldest texts (the one's closest to the original writer's time) then you end up with what is known as the Critical Text, which the NASB and ESV and other such modern versions are based on. If they used the texts that all have the most in common (and in which there are more of them than the Critical Text) you have what is called the Majority Text, though it is in some cases 1,000 years more recent than the Critical Texts.

The point of all of this is, as I said, there are some variations in manuscripts and one can be led into believing a lie based on those writings. Such as, as stated above, 1 John 5:7, which has an added sentence in the KJV. Now it was realized years after translation that the addition (known among scholars as the "Comma Johaenum" or the "Johanine Comma") was actually brought in from a marginal note in a Latin manuscript. That is, when they were reviewing the manuscripts they had available to translate the Letter of 1 John, one of them was a Latin one, and contained a note written along the margins that added the text that we see in the KJV today.

At the time of the KJV translators, there were not nearly as many manuscripts as we have available today, including many which are much older.

I also suggest reading the following verses in the KJV, then reading it in the NIV/NASB/ESV etc.:

Luke 17:36; Mark 16:9–20; Matthew 18:11; John 7:53-8:11; John 5:3–4
Polish Tom
Administrator

by Polish Tom Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 am

Malachi3:6 wrote:It is not simply a matter of the way it is worded, or how easy it is to read. The more dynamic a translation becomes (that is, the more "modern" we make it), the less like the writer's intent does it become.

How so? Do you actually have proof that the writer's intent is watered down just because the verses are translated into modern English?
"In paradise remember me. Romance me. Ransom me." - Disciple

"...the Lord has told you what is good, & this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, & to walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8

by Malachi3:6 Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:48 am

Polish Tom wrote:
Malachi3:6 wrote:It is not simply a matter of the way it is worded, or how easy it is to read. The more dynamic a translation becomes (that is, the more "modern" we make it), the less like the writer's intent does it become.

How so? Do you actually have proof that the writer's intent is watered down just because the verses are translated into modern English?

Anything crossing languages loses significance. Idioms in Spanish just don't make sense in English: ask anyone fluent in Spanish. Same goes for the languages of Scripture. Hebraic writing is FILLED with idioms, parallels, word plays, compare/contrast, etc. We see this a lot with Messiah's ministry, too. He contrasted the sheep with the goats, the wheat with the tares, the rich man with Lazarus. When He called Peter "Peter" that, too, is a word-play that we do not understand in English. In this particular passage (talking about Matthew 16:18, here) He says, "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My assembly..."

In English, we kind of read over this and move on. But in Greek, there is a word-play here. He calls Peter "Peter" which in Greek is "Petros." Petros means "small rock" or "pebble" such as is found by the roadside (see Helps WORD Studies entry "Petros"). Then He says "upon this rock." Well the word "rock" use din this instance is a different word. It is the word "Petra." Petra means "rock, ledge, cliff" and literally refers to a very large stone. So the contrast here is that MEssiah calls Simon "Peter" (Petros) meaning "small rock" and refers to Himself as Petra (big Rock). Thus, He built His assembly on Himself (not Peter, as the Catholics will tell you). After all, Messiah is the "chief cornerstone," not Peter.

All throughout the Bible, in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, we find MANY word plays like this. So as I was saying, what matters is the writer's intent, not our interpretation.
Ric

by Ric Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:47 pm

I'd love to see a modernized Tyndale or Geneva Bible.
"Yes, I am coming soon." -Jesus
Skilletx6

Re:

by Skilletx6 Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:53 pm

i like glue wrote:does it matter? :?:

I agree with you. Unless that translation takes out certain doctrines like salvation or virgin birth.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:20 pm

okay so that The Message bible, ugh that one just doesn't work for me...maybe it helps someone else but I can't stand it when it changes a verse so much I don't recognize it...but that's just me
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Return to The Word