Join the discussion with The Disciple Book Alliance as they share their thoughts on the current book they are reading

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

STATIC JEDI CHAPTER 2

by Kevin Young Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Welcome to The Disciple Book Alliance's STATIC JEDI thread. This week we will continue the journey of becoming a Static Jedi. The goal of this book club is very simple…. we are here to read books together and "talk" about the book as we go. And by talk, I mean talk about anything you want. How did this chapter challenge you as a person, or as a Christian? How did it make you feel? Did you like it, or not like it? Are there changes that you are going to make in your life because of this chapter? What were your favorite parts of the chapter? etc, etc, etc. You get the idea. This thread is a way for us to read this book as a group together. We've all probably read books by ourselves, and we definitely get something out of it when do that. But when you read a book in a group setting, other people always bring out things about the book that I did not see… and are challenged in ways that I didn't even think about. So I end up being challenged more than I ever would have. Plus, whenever I read a book by myself, I never have anyone to talk about it with and say "oh man, I loved that part of the book." Well now we can!

So with that being said, let's continue this journey together of becoming a Static Jedi.

After you read Chapter 2, please post whatever thoughts you have about the chapter.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Kevin Young
Bouncer

Re: STATIC JEDI CHAPTER 2

by Kevin Young Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:59 am

Eric is so hilarious. The part about his grandfather going to the bathroom and having read the Encyclopedia Britannica had me crying!

This chapter was great. We learned how to count out our time during the day, which was very eye-opening. I especially like the part about the person texting while someone else was talking to them. I do that to my family a lot, and was really convicted about it.

Also loved the concept that you get a return on everything you invest your time in. This part challenged me big time. I immediately went into my daughter's room who was playing on her new drum set she got for Christmas and asked her if she wanted me to give her a lesson. She said, "Yes!" as if she had been waiting on me to find time for her. She did great, and even showed Mom (my wife) what she learned when Mom got home. After the drum lesson, I asked my daughter, "Do you want to go try to teach your baby sister how to walk?" She said, "Yes!" So we took the baby (who had headphones protecting her ears from the loud drums) to the living room and stood her up behind her new walker that she had got for Christmas. And we helped her walk through the living room for the next half hour. We had a blast. I was intentional about my time with them last night. No texting. My mind was not somewhere else. I was with them…. and we all got an immediate return on my investment of time. My return was joy of time with my children. Their return was learning from their Dad.

This is a life-changing book.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
JoshuaR

by JoshuaR Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 pm

The whole concept of comparing time as our true currency really opened my eyes. I've seen how to invest money and stretch it to its fullest. I've seen how to invest it in high quality ROI. But I never once considered comparing time to it. I invest so much of my time in scrolling through my news feed on Facebook or twitter or just sitting around waiting for another notification from my family back home. If I'm not doing that, I'm scrolling through YouTube trying to find new Christian metal songs (cause that's been a huge factor getting me through this deployment). When I can't find something new, it's back to Facebook and twitter. Endless cycle of nonsense. After reading this chapter two days ago, it got me thinking that that's no way to invest my time. I shouldn't be wasting multiple dollar bills on social media and give God the leftover change. He is worth so much more than that! So I decided to put down my iPad for the majority of the day and read the Word and spend more time in prayer. Although I didn't completely get away from social media for the day, it was a huge leap for me in the right direction! I'm hoping that by the end of this book, I will have my time investment figured out to where social media gets the left over change while God is rolling in the crisp dollar bills :)
JoshuaR

by JoshuaR Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:26 pm

I tried sending in a reply but I'm not seeing it so I will send in another :)

Basically this chapter is exactly what I needed to hear. I've never considered viewing time as our true version of currency. I've heard the phrase time is money and it's just seemed like a cliche phrase managers love to use. Never really gave it much thought. I learned when I was young how to invest money though. I learned how to invest it in things that would be of high quality ROI. I was taught to not waste it on useless items because that's a wasted investment. Comparing time to that was a true eye opener.

I invest a vast majority of my time on Facebook and twitter primarily to kill down time. Being away from family, I just wanna pass time by to get home sooner. I don't wanna just sit around and it's easy to just scroll through Facebook or twitter or search YouTube for new Christian metal music (which has been what's getting me through this deployment). That was the easy way out and I never thought twice about it. After reading this chapter two days ago, I decided that wasn't fair to Jesus to give Him the bare minimum left over change while I invested bills in social media. And by bills, I meant more than two hands can count a day. Jesus literally came to this world, lived the perfect life, and took my place on that cross...and I just wanna sit around ignoring Him on Facebook? No. That was horrible of me and this chapter alone helped me realize that. Yesterday was day one of trying to fix that. I spent a majority of the day, instead of on Facebook, I was in the Word or praying to Him more often than before. Instead of giving Him the leftover change, social media got the left over change. God got the crisp dollar bills. He got the majority of my time. I'm still far from perfect...but by the end of this book I would like to have it under control!
Lainie
Bouncer

by Lainie Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:06 pm

I can't find the Chapter 1 thread, but I've read both chapters now. I'm so addicted to noise, silence makes me uncomfortable. I even sleep with a "white noise" machine to drown out hubby's snoring. I spend way too much time on FB; I convinced myself that I was relaxing & unwinding from work by "talking" to friends. Hubby called me out a couple months ago. He had turned on a show we both like & I'm only half paying attention because I still had the phone in my hand.

Reminds me of back in the day when you only had 6 presets on the car radio. I remember clearly listening to song I kind of liked, but I still flipped stations because what if something better is on & I'm missing it? That's how I am now with social media. What if I'm missing something? Wow, this book makes me think.

What did you think about Chapter 2's question of how to invite Jesus to all of your hours instead of giving him spare change? Ouch.
The Disciple fan-mily are just the friends I haven't necessarily met yet :)
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:09 pm

For a long time I guess I never really thought about time, how fast it went, and how I invested my time. I was like just whatever I guess and did what I wanted. When my grandmother died on Easter 2007, my mind was blown. I suddenly realized that everyone I know was going to die one day, and the time I had with them now was it. Because it won't be the same in heaven, it'll be awesome, but it won't be the same relationships. The Nana I knew here is gone forever (oh that hurts so much to say, I can't talk about her without crying). It haunted me for months. I couldn't stop picturing her in that casket, and I couldn't stop picturing everyone else I knew dead. Time passing by on and on, and all those precious moments gone. Opportunities to spend time with the people that really matter and I blew it and did something else, all gone.

I didn't really start reading my bible and really wanting to do more with my life until after she passed. Her death changed me. Eventually after I moved I tried to get involved more at church. But do I still waste a lot of time? Oh yeah, it kills me that after all that I still waste time on stupid stuff. Wasting time wanting to be alone and missing precious time with people that could be gone tomorrow.

all that time wasting being depressed, and cutting to kill the pain, drinking to kill the pain, and all that time wanting to die instead of living...to me all that turns from being wasted to worth it if I can just show one person that there's hope and to not give up

I miss you Nana, everyday I miss you...
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:11 pm

Lainie wrote:I can't find the Chapter 1 thread, but I've read both chapters now.

Its over in "The Word" section. :)
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Hannahgk

by Hannahgk Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:33 pm

I loved this chapter. Some of the examples really hit home, like the one about spending hours getting ready in the morning. My mom gets on to me for this one, cause I spend tons of time on my hair and makeup. I was challenged to get up earlier and get that done before I have to go somewhere and the whole family's waiting on me. That and texting/Facebook while someone's talking to you. I think "I can multitask, it's fine," but I end up totally missing out on half of what their saying. I read a another book that talked about this once, and it said that the definition of the word "Hear" is to receive information by the ear, and to "Listen" is to give attention with the ear. So to listen is "to give" your attention, while hearing someone is "Receive" information. I thought that was pretty cool.
Psalm 139:13-14<3
Nicole94

by Nicole94 Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:16 pm

Wow. That's what kept going through my mind during this chapter. I found so many hard-hitting points that I'm not quite sure where to start processing them. This chapter was absolutely hilarious, I must say that. I was laughing so many times I lost track, and I got some weird looks from my roommate too.

The good news is that I have already begun to see improvement in how I invest my time since reading chapter 1. I am by nature an introvert, so it's not the most comfortable thing for me to find out where my friends are and go hang out with them. Well, this week I decided to do just that, and I can already see the return on investment as I build relationships with some really awesome Christian girls. It means I don't watch as many Bones episodes, but I don't miss watching them when I'm with my friends :mrgreen:

I really liked his point that we don't spend time, we can only invest it because there is always a return, even if that return is nothing. The exercise with the dollar bills and change was astounding, especially considering my schedule this semester. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have class from 9am-11am then I am done for the day unless I have to work, which then takes me to about 6. But on the days when I don't work, I have found that I invest time in the most pointless things, to the point that I am still only giving God spare change when I have so many hours that I could invest in our relationship!

I love what he said at the end of the chapter: "Jesus loves to walk with us. He loves to be with us all the time- not just in the scheduled time or in the leftovers." I can incorporate him into every waking minute of my life just by being aware of his presence and inviting him to be with me! Our time together doesn't have to be scheduled and sectioned off to a specific time of day.... because he is always ready to invest time in me! This week, along with continuing to invest in others, I'm going to invite Jesus to walk with me through my entire day, and although that doesn't mean I always have my head bowed in prayer or ignore everyone else because I have to pay attention to Jesus, it does mean that I am always aware of his presence and give him all the time that I can, no matter what I am doing. I'm going to make my relationship with Jesus my new Pinterest or Facebook... because when it seems like I need something to fill the time, he will produce a much better return on investment than either of the others could ever hope to produce.
TFK_disciple_fan

Location: Somewhere in the deep dark depths of Redneck country

by TFK_disciple_fan Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Nicole94 wrote:Wow. That's what kept going through my mind during this chapter. I found so many hard-hitting points that I'm not quite sure where to start processing them. This chapter was absolutely hilarious, I must say that. I was laughing so many times I lost track, and I got some weird looks from my roommate too.

The good news is that I have already begun to see improvement in how I invest my time since reading chapter 1. I am by nature an introvert, so it's not the most comfortable thing for me to find out where my friends are and go hang out with them. Well, this week I decided to do just that, and I can already see the return on investment as I build relationships with some really awesome Christian girls. It means I don't watch as many Bones episodes, but I don't miss watching them when I'm with my friends :mrgreen:

I really liked his point that we don't spend time, we can only invest it because there is always a return, even if that return is nothing. The exercise with the dollar bills and change was astounding, especially considering my schedule this semester. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I have class from 9am-11am then I am done for the day unless I have to work, which then takes me to about 6. But on the days when I don't work, I have found that I invest time in the most pointless things, to the point that I am still only giving God spare change when I have so many hours that I could invest in our relationship!

I love what he said at the end of the chapter: "Jesus loves to walk with us. He loves to be with us all the time- not just in the scheduled time or in the leftovers." I can incorporate him into every waking minute of my life just by being aware of his presence and inviting him to be with me! Our time together doesn't have to be scheduled and sectioned off to a specific time of day.... because he is always ready to invest time in me! This week, along with continuing to invest in others, I'm going to invite Jesus to walk with me through my entire day, and although that doesn't mean I always have my head bowed in prayer or ignore everyone else because I have to pay attention to Jesus, it does mean that I am always aware of his presence and give him all the time that I can, no matter what I am doing. I'm going to make my relationship with Jesus my new Pinterest or Facebook... because when it seems like I need something to fill the time, he will produce a much better return on investment than either of the others could ever hope to produce.

I couldn't have said it better myself, girl. I'm also very introverted and can be anti-social at times, so hanging out with friends isn't the top on my list, much less meeting new ones. Since I'm also in college now and most of my friends are still in high school, I've lost touch with most of them. And I still live in the same town as they do, so shame on me for that. Yes, it is true that I overloaded myself this past semester and spent most of my time studying, but at the same time I spent a good bit of time on pointless computer stuff because I simply wanted to unwind from all the stress from classes. However, I probably could have invested my time with my friends and gotten a better return.

I think we all at some point find ourselves guilty of giving God the "spare change" in our lives. I remember going through "Drawing Near" by John Bevere with my youth group several years back and he made an analogy to this that has stuck with me ever since. Basically, what he said was suppose you told your spouse that the only time that you and he/she could talk was during a certain time. Your spouse would try to get through to you but you kept ignoring them saying "oh not yet, it's not your time". Then when you got to your allotted time, you talked the whole time and didn't let them get out a word. Then it gets time for bed and you want to...well you get the gist. Basically you would probably end up sleeping on the couch for behaving like that. But we Christians act the exact same way. Are we not called God's bride somewhere in the Bible??? Yet we box God into a certain time in our lives each day without letting him speak to us and then we go to church and sing "I love you Lord" and expect God to move. I don't know about you, but I'd like to let God into my whole life and not just a specific part of it.
Raine22

by Raine22 Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:36 pm

thoughts on chapter 2:
first-i was confused-could not find the thread for the new posts-but i finally found it! ;-)

his quote, "when we are bankrupt in the richness of time, the outflow of our lives becomes hurried and undervalued." this point stuck with me. i'm an accountant-so i totally read this chapter with baited breath! wow-what an impression! yes, we are investing-not spending, our time (resources) and boy have i totally wasted 2013-no wonder nothing good came of it for me! (well, besides my fiance-but that's a story for a different time and place).

again-"valuelessness is possibly the most powerful value" i added and the most costly lesson, but i read further and see he did mention lessons learned. i know i have learned some very costly lessons, both monetarily speaking and with regard to my time.
another great quote i will take with me to my recovery meeting next week-"invest time in focusing on your past......a place of present power". i didn't want to copy the entire passage, but it's on the top of page 25. that really spoke volumes to me, especially since i spent so many years thinking i was worthless. i was convicted and encouraged to read that what is truly my past has no place in my present or my future-let alone in a seat of power! wow-no wonder so many people are in self-made prisons!
i cracked up at his "mo money" joke-guess others here are not old enough to remember the 80s! ;-)
for the questions, i found that i don't "overspend"-again, i'm a rather frugal accountant, but i have seen how i am "underinvesting"-meaning i should be investing more in the lives of others-like i used to, in my volunteer work and in my relationships, but like i said earlier, 2013 was a rather low year for me, so i'm praying that this year will be one of higher expectations and higher returns!
i have always looked at money as a tool-"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (1 Tim. 6:10) having grown up dirt poor, i've always been very careful not to overspend or to place too much value on money itself.
my lowest payout is of course, FB and tv-but i've been changing that this week-not watching much tv at all, and only checking FB once a day.
Raine22

by Raine22 Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm

But we Christians act the exact same way. Are we not called God's bride somewhere in the Bible??? Yet we box God into a certain time in our lives each day without letting him speak to us and then we go to church and sing "I love you Lord" and expect God to move. I don't know about you, but I'd like to let God into my whole life and not just a specific part of it.

yes, i totally agree, and i too, am guilty of just that! i want him in every part too and i am working on starting and ending my days with a conversation with Jesus, even after my phone call to my man! ;-)
DaveIsLiving

by DaveIsLiving Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:47 pm

The comment about lock-ins might be the most relate-able thing I've ever read. And don't worry Raine, I cracked up at the "Mo money" as well haha. That said, here's my thoughts on the chapter, mostly using the questions at the end as a guide again.

I'm trying to identify the areas of my life with low ROIs. The most obvious I can think of is video games. Not that it returns a zero or a negative. It does at least provide me with some relaxation and fun and enjoyment, especially when played with friends. But for those times that I blow a whole night playing a couple of two-hour games of NCAA Football, there was probably something at least slightly more productive I could have done while still relaxing. Luckily, those nights are few and far between, even though I wouldn't mind having them more often...

My life does feel overspent sometimes though. But I like to think I'm investing most of it in the kingdom; that is, since I got back from the Xtreme conference this year and since the studies have started up here on the boards, a lot of my time has been invested in personal spiritual growth. Then there's time with the folks from church, and my girlfriend, and various other things. But I end up being on the far side of that sometimes too. I'm the person who will try to do too many things, and not have enough time to spread around for it all. Then I'll get burned out and end up wasting a bunch of time trying to avoid those things. It's like a see-saw sometimes.

I like to think I at least have my heart in the right place though. I just had a birthday and the thing I was most concerned about getting was new pants! Realize how rich I am in Christ in the few years since becoming a Christian has really helped me to not be so interested in money. That doesn't mean I never worry about it though, that's for sure. My gas tank runs below 1/4 quite often. My time sometimes feels like a precious commodity though. I'm doing David Nasser's "A Call to Die" alongside this, though, so that's teaching me a lot about what is actually mine (very little) and what belongs to God who purchased me (just about everything). Ouch.

I definitely wasn't very wise with my time today though. I had trouble dragging myself out of bed, and then rather spend time reading this chapter or really praying, I just wanted to relax before work. I was kind of ashamed of myself afterward. Reading this chapter only reinforced my spiritual butt kicking haha. But I am encouraged by the idea of giving God my 24 hours, instead of worrying about whether I had a specific amount of "Jesus time" before work or something.

I know I've been guilty of saying I'm busy when I'm really not. So God, help me to invest my time wisely and be honest with myself this week.
Nick Fury: They'll come back.
Maria Hill: You really sure about that?
Nick Fury: I am.
Maria Hill: Why?
Nick Fury: Because we'll need them to.
ericsamueltimm

by ericsamueltimm Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am

Kevin Young wrote:Eric is so hilarious. The part about his grandfather going to the bathroom and having read the Encyclopedia Britannica had me crying!

This chapter was great. We learned how to count out our time during the day, which was very eye-opening. I especially like the part about the person texting while someone else was talking to them. I do that to my family a lot, and was really convicted about it.

Also loved the concept that you get a return on everything you invest your time in. This part challenged me big time. I immediately went into my daughter's room who was playing on her new drum set she got for Christmas and asked her if she wanted me to give her a lesson. She said, "Yes!" as if she had been waiting on me to find time for her. She did great, and even showed Mom (my wife) what she learned when Mom got home. After the drum lesson, I asked my daughter, "Do you want to go try to teach your baby sister how to walk?" She said, "Yes!" So we took the baby (who had headphones protecting her ears from the loud drums) to the living room and stood her up behind her new walker that she had got for Christmas. And we helped her walk through the living room for the next half hour. We had a blast. I was intentional about my time with them last night. No texting. My mind was not somewhere else. I was with them…. and we all got an immediate return on my investment of time. My return was joy of time with my children. Their return was learning from their Dad.

This is a life-changing book.

Wow, how simple a shift in your mental location to align with your geographical location and the richness of the moment was captured by you.
ericsamueltimm

by ericsamueltimm Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 am

I read all your posts this week. I'm challenged to see how each of us are in this space of noise and encouraged that we are taking steps to get out from this space. Here are a few thoughts...to you all individually

Kevin, what a small shift to see such a big change. The moment was fully grasped by you!

JoshuaR - You said "deployment" If your in the service, let me thank you for your service. I would challenge you to use the time you have that is "free" wisely. If I would have done that on the road all these years I'd have two PHD's by now bro.

Lainie - Your word "ouch". Let that hurt not be one of guilt but a catalyst for change. I think with all the info that is available it's now way more than 6 presets and easy to be distracted, however if you never really focus on one preset but focus on all you focus on none! Keep reading and keep practicing silence.

ECCENTRICSHEEP - I lost my grandmother as well to Heart failure. This was the catalyst for this book. Our pain can drive us down or drive us forward. I miss her to.

Hannahgk - Love your thoughts on listening and "receiving" infomation. This will happen to you from God, I'm believing that for you.

Nicole94 - You talked about being a introvert! Your going to love chapter 3! and the TV show bones rocks.

TFK_disciple_fan - Great illustration from Brevere and thanks for sharing. MArriage and Children show us the way of the Father best! Keep reading and if your finding yourself anti social at times Jesus is there, talk to him and keep it social! ha.

Raine22 - I like that you posted. I LOVE THAT you caught my mo money mo problems joke. NO ONE gets it unless they get it! Don't worry so much about making huge adjustments on FB and TV....that will come, enjoy the journey, not rush the destination.

DaveIsLiving - Take the pressure off yourself and keep reading bro. Your heart is in the right place as your concerned about the things you shoud be concerned about. For me when it comes to "relaxing" I have had to re learn what that is. Culture will program you that is sitting in front of a screen but If there were no screens has God provided a way to relax, to rest. Yes. It's about finding other sources that are right there all along that you grow into relaxing with. Example from my life....I used to never find "reading" relaxing. Now two hot cups of coffee and a challenging book or new source of information I have found very "relaxing", provided Disciple is providing the sound track!

onto chapter 3!
Raine22

by Raine22 Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:15 pm

wow-i'm in awe to be encouraged by the author himself-what a blessing!
i'm looking forward to the rest of the book and more conversations here-i am going to invite my fiance too-he's never heard Disciple!! ;-)
TFK_disciple_fan

Location: Somewhere in the deep dark depths of Redneck country

by TFK_disciple_fan Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:18 pm

Raine22 wrote:wow-i'm in awe to be encouraged by the author himself-what a blessing!
i'm looking forward to the rest of the book and more conversations here-i am going to invite my fiance too-he's never heard Disciple!! ;-)

...wait...you are engaged to this guy and he hasn't heard them???
Beautifulache

by Beautifulache Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:16 am

"Multitasking is a Myth, You are not doing anything good just a lot stuff awful"- Propaganda
Raine22

by Raine22 Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:56 pm

TFK_disciple_fan wrote:
Raine22 wrote:wow-i'm in awe to be encouraged by the author himself-what a blessing!

...wait...you are engaged to this guy and he hasn't heard them???

um, no-my fiance has never heard of Disciple!
;-)
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm terrible at investing my time... I sleep about 9 or 10 hours every night, and so I usually start school at around 11 or 12 every afternoon. I finish school around 4 every afternoon, and I have stuff to do most nights. So that leaves me with about 2 hours of free time every day. Most of that free time is spent in my room on the internet.

But today was a bit different... instead of spending most of my time on facebook and occasionally doing something productive, I took notice of the three bags of guitar strings on the table and made about half a dozen bracelets today. I also opened up my bible and worked on memorizing more verses and I read more than I usually do.

Also, I'll definitely be spending less time on the internet in my room. The wiring got messed up earlier, and since I'm moving next month, there's no point in getting it fixed. So I kind of have to use my daylight to get stuff packed. And make sure I spend a bit of time before I move with my two friends in town.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Return to Disciple Book Alliance