Join the discussion with The Disciple Book Alliance as they share their thoughts on the current book they are reading

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: STATIC JEDI CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:44 pm

I signed up for my church's Monday night volunteering for the first time in 3 months. I love doing it, but after I started my new job I thought I didn't have time for it for some reason. Which is stupid all I have done when I get home is eat and fall asleep in the living room. So yay, giving that time back to God.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/

"Is there any light here?" (a poem)
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ight-poem/
Steph

by Steph Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:56 pm

TFK_disciple_fan wrote:I think we all at some point find ourselves guilty of giving God the "spare change" in our lives. I remember going through "Drawing Near" by John Bevere with my youth group several years back and he made an analogy to this that has stuck with me ever since. Basically, what he said was suppose you told your spouse that the only time that you and he/she could talk was during a certain time. Your spouse would try to get through to you but you kept ignoring them saying "oh not yet, it's not your time". Then when you got to your allotted time, you talked the whole time and didn't let them get out a word. Then it gets time for bed and you want to...well you get the gist. Basically you would probably end up sleeping on the couch for behaving like that. But we Christians act the exact same way. Are we not called God's bride somewhere in the Bible??? Yet we box God into a certain time in our lives each day without letting him speak to us and then we go to church and sing "I love you Lord" and expect God to move. I don't know about you, but I'd like to let God into my whole life and not just a specific part of it.
That's a great analogy! Thanks for sharing!

And I can relate to you and Nicole94...I'm also very much an introvert, and this chapter was a good challenge to invest more in relationships.

I really loved the illustration of using money to show where our time goes each day. I'm guilty of giving God my "spare change", but I really want to make my relationship with Him a priority. It can be as easy as spending time here and there throughout the day in prayer.
~How precious to me are your thoughts O God? How vast is the sum of them? Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139:17-18~
Jose Medina

by Jose Medina Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:30 pm

I hope you guys don't mind me posting a few weeks later, I was looking for this post for a while lol

Clocks and cash was a really eye opening chapter for me, I learned many things, and I started doing what I always HATED to do because I just hate ruining things, I started highlighting my book, I would've loved keeping it in mint condition, but I remembered once seeing a used up bible on Facebook, with something along the lines of, it was old, and wrote on, but that meant it was put to use. So I started doing that with the book, and it has helped me a lot. When the book said, once time is gone, it has flown forever, it brought me to realization that man, I need to use it more wisely, not SPEND it, but INVEST it. Jesus multiplies investments, and let me be first to say, that THAT is as true as it sounds. I started tithing early last year, and it is like I am blessed with more, I kept the job that many lose due to company being bought over, I was able to book an Apartment for March with an over $150.00 saving PER MONTH, and still I am able to save. God is good. Investment of time was also very important for me, I have limited the amount of computer time, videogame time, and electronics really, to fully invest in my family. I put my phone down when speaking to them.

Investing time with Jesus is something I was to also work on. Still keeping up with the bible reading plan, and it is a habit that I want to commit to for the rest of my life, not just KNOW about Jesus, but KNOW Jesus, and how beautiful He really is in my, and everyone else's lives. I would like to further the depth of intimacy I want to have with my creator, and the money example on the book really helped me realize what adjustments I need to make.

Great chapter overall.

God Bless guys,

Jose
Meridian

by Meridian Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:32 pm

I just got this book for Christmas and I'm pretty bummed that I missed getting to read this at the same time everyone else did, but this book has really changed my perspective on several things and I've already been challenged by it in several ways, and I'm really enjoying reading what everyone thought about it!
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. - Psalm 147:3
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:04 am

I should probably read it again since I still can't go a week without social media.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:26 am

Let's read it again! I've been thinking about re-reading it for a few weeks now, and it would be super cool to do it with other people again.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Meridian

by Meridian Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:24 pm

1 chapter a week? Or what? I'm pretty excited about this!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:43 pm

Meridian wrote:1 chapter a week? Or what? I'm pretty excited about this!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 chapter a week is great! I'm excited, too. It'll be a great way to start 2015.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Meridian

by Meridian Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Ok! Awesome! When do we start? And is there a thread for chapter 1? I didn't see one.
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Meridian wrote:Ok! Awesome! When do we start? And is there a thread for chapter 1? I didn't see one.

The thread for Chapter 1 must've been deleted... We could start Monday if that works for you.
-Sam

Meridian

by Meridian Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Ok! Yes! Let's start Monday!
TFK_disciple_fan

Location: Somewhere in the deep dark depths of Redneck country

by TFK_disciple_fan Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:51 pm

Chapter 1 discussion topic is located in the word forum. This section of the boards was created shortly after.
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:32 pm

TFK_disciple_fan wrote:Chapter 1 discussion topic is located in the word forum. This section of the boards was created shortly after.

Oh yeah! I didn't start posting until chapter 4 or 5, so I completely forgot about that.
-Sam

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm reading Lacey Sturm's book (which is awesome!), but I'll jump onto Static Jedi again after that probably.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:46 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:I'm reading Lacey Sturm's book (which is awesome!), but I'll jump onto Static Jedi again after that probably.

I wanted to get that one!
-Sam

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:24 pm

The whole time as a currency thing really slaps me across the face. As a homeschooler who isn't really on a schedule, I really don't give time too much of a thought. I have an alarm set for a certain time every morning, but 90% of the time, I wake up just long enough to shut it off then go back to sleep for two hours.

I do start off my day by reading my bible for a good hour or so, but I'm SO guilty of that being pretty much my only Jesus time on most days. I also have a habit of rushing through prayers at meals and before bed, so I'm actually working on stopping the habit of praying at those certain times. If I don't have those certain times to pray, I'll spend a lot more time throughout the day actually talking to God. The thoughts/prayers are always more genuine that way, and then I spend the time I used to spend spouting empty prayers to just be silent and listen.
-Sam

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:03 am

I have spent way too much time on just being a lump on a log wrapped up in blankets this winter. I could be at least studying then, but no I turn on the TV and become a zombie. Maybe I should stick my bible on the table by my recliner maybe that would help.

This is probably a good time for me to re-read this book, I've gotten way withdrawn and need to snap out of it.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:37 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:I have spent way too much time on just being a lump on a log wrapped up in blankets this winter. I could be at least studying then, but no I turn on the TV and become a zombie. Maybe I should stick my bible on the table by my recliner maybe that would help.

This is probably a good time for me to re-read this book, I've gotten way withdrawn and need to snap out of it.

Same here! I watched two and a half seasons of a show in two days over Christmas break. Not to mention watching all 7 seasons of Gilmore Girls with my mom in a little over a month. It's really time to straighten my act up.
-Sam

notebooknut

by notebooknut Sat May 23, 2015 8:41 am

I'd love to read, but I'm busy practicing on my Dad's electric, until my new one arrives in a few days... I'm also reading my last classic for the school year!! (WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!) And, a lot of the time, I'm busy on here working on Bible Study stuff, or writing The Super Trio (my book series.) Or telling myself that I should shut off Avengers Assemble and start working on my stories. XD I'll probably join this during the summer, though! :mrgreen:
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Return to Disciple Book Alliance