Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

HEBREWS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

This week we will be discussing HEBREWS Chapter 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: HEBREWS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Its been a while! I guess about a year and half since we were last studying here. I am hoping to keep this going even if just a few come here. Of course we hope for more than just a few.

I know we have other tabs for this, but I personally don't care if you are struggling with something or have questions about something else and feel like this is a place or maybe the only place you can talk about it. I will gladly take the opportunity to encourage you and help you in any way I can. You are absolutely 100% always worth my time. Rabbit trails always go back to the topic eventually.

My peak writing time is 5am-7am so I will return with thoughts on the chapter later.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

Unbroken426

by Unbroken426 Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm

It's been so long since I've been on the forums! I'm so excited to see this bible study back! Perhaps it will be motivation to get in the word as I've been slacking.

Read the chapter. I think a lot of people hold angels in high esteem but this chapter clearly states that God is greater. And speaking of angels I think a common misconception is that we become angels when we die, but that's no where in the bible. I believe it states (though the verse alludes me) that we will be "like angels" but not an angel.

Also, I recently learned something new concerning angels. When it says in the bible "An angel of the Lord..." (ex: Genesis 16:7) is actually God himself. Most of the time when an angel appeared to someone the first words out of their mouths are "Do not be afraid" but not in situations where it says An angel of the Lord.

Anyways, those were my thoughts while reading.
"I'm coming out the other side unbroken"
UNBROKEN
Disciple
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Where’s the thumbs up emoji?
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
0ldBenKenobi

by 0ldBenKenobi Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:15 am

Thank you for doing this bible study, recently been getting back into regular bible reading (after seeing Disciple live in OKC). Very excited!

My favorite verses are 9 & 14. I like how God honors the zeal of Christ who loved righteousness and hated iniquity and also how the angels are ministering spirits here to help us out - the heirs of salvation.

Thinking about being an heir of salvation reminds me of the lyrics to “Eternity”...

Where the desert is covered in roses
Where I can outshine the stars in a single day
The face of God isn't hidden
When I wake into eternity
Where the shadows are never discovered
Tears are nothing more than a memory
Death isn't alive any longer
When I wake into eternity
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 am

Unbroken426 wrote:
Also, I recently learned something new concerning angels. When it says in the bible "An angel of the Lord..." (ex: Genesis 16:7) is actually God himself. Most of the time when an angel appeared to someone the first words out of their mouths are "Do not be afraid" but not in situations where it says An angel of the Lord.

Anyways, those were my thoughts while reading.

that's interesting! I might have to look that up that's cool

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:04 am

I am quite fond of this book. It feels really different than the other books around it in my opinion. It seems written for a different audience or something. Its just different, heavier maybe? Took me years to appreciate it.

3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. 4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

Chapter 1 seems to establish the authority and superiority of Jesus, or begins to the whole book does it I guess. I love it because you can sit here and be like, "wow, and this dude who is completely superior is speaking on my behalf and laid down his life FOR ME!!"

when someone who is well known for something....like an art form or music or something....takes the time to mention you who maybe does the same art form but with not nearly as much recognition as them....it feels pretty awesome doesn't it? like if you're a new band and a big band gives your music a plug, or if a famous writer plugs your stuff and you are no where near famous.....I don't know if that works it just came to mind lol

5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,

“You are my Son;
today I have become your Father”[a]?

Or again,

“I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son”[b]?

I really like how they lay out his superiority over the angels here. I didn't appreciate it for a long time.

James Larsen

by James Larsen Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Hebrews is a very unique book. What I find interesting is how it doesn't start with an actual introduction, like most New Testament epistles do.
I enjoy how it opens right up talking about the power of Jesus, and what he did for us, specifically verse 3:

"...who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high"

I still don't understand why He purged our sins. I mean, I do, but don't at the same time.
We are a wretched people that don't deserve grace. God's mercy on us is amazing!

Verses 5-14 powerfully state how Jesus is God, not a high-ranking angel like some think He is.
It clearly states how the angels worship God - and that means Jesus. Jesus does not worship the Father, He is God with the Father and is to be worshipped.

Which, speaking of angels, to touch on what 'Unbroken426' mentioned - it is odd how many people think we become angels in heaven.
It is actually clearly said in the Bible that we will rise above the angels (I can't remember where exactly), but it is said that they are there to serve us.

Looking forward to reading more responses from others on this unique chapter in the Bible.
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm so stoked you're bringing these back, Courtney! I'll do my best to follow along, but I doubt I'll be contributing much for at least a few weeks.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:45 am

sassy1506 wrote:I'm so stoked you're bringing these back, Courtney! I'll do my best to follow along, but I doubt I'll be contributing much for at least a few weeks.

I gotta give Lappinglivingwater the credit for starting this train going again since he brought it up first. I'm just dumb enough to run my mouth about it everywhere and ask about it lol.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:56 am

I like looking up the full context of quoted scriptures, so let's see all these quoted ones in context. Because PSALMS!

1. Psalms 2:7

Why do the nations rage[a]
and the peoples plot in vain?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves,
and the rulers take counsel together,
against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying,
3 “Let us burst their bonds apart
and cast away their cords from us.”

4 He who sits in the heavens laughs;
the Lord holds them in derision.
5 Then he will speak to them in his wrath,
and terrify them in his fury, saying,
6 “As for me, I have set my King
on Zion, my holy hill.”

7 I will tell of the decree:
The Lord said to me, “You are my Son;
today I have begotten you.

8 Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage,
and the ends of the earth your possession.
9 You shall break them with a rod of iron
and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.”

2. 2 Samuel 7:14 (The Lord's Covenant with David)

13 He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity, I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, 15 but my steadfast love will not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. 16 And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me.[c] Your throne shall be established forever.’” 17 In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.

3. Deut. 32:43

39 “‘See now that I, even I, am he,
and there is no god beside me;
I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal;
and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
40 For I lift up my hand to heaven
and swear, As I live forever,
41 if I sharpen my flashing sword[h]
and my hand takes hold on judgment,
I will take vengeance on my adversaries
and will repay those who hate me.
42 I will make my arrows drunk with blood,
and my sword shall devour flesh—
with the blood of the slain and the captives,
from the long-haired heads of the enemy.’

43 “Rejoice with him, O heavens;[i]
bow down to him, all gods,[j]
for he avenges the blood of his children[k]
and takes vengeance on his adversaries.
He repays those who hate him[l]
and cleanses[m] his people's land.”[n]

4. Psalm 104:4

Bless the Lord, O my soul!
O Lord my God, you are very great!
You are clothed with splendor and majesty,
2 covering yourself with light as with a garment,
stretching out the heavens like a tent.
3 He lays the beams of his chambers on the waters;
he makes the clouds his chariot;
he rides on the wings of the wind;
4 he makes his messengers winds,
his ministers a flaming fire.

5. Psalm 45:6,7

In your majesty ride out victoriously
for the cause of truth and meekness and righteousness;
let your right hand teach you awesome deeds!
5 Your arrows are sharp
in the heart of the king's enemies;
the peoples fall under you.

6 Your throne, O God, is forever and ever.
The scepter of your kingdom is a scepter of uprightness;
7 you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness.
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you

with the oil of gladness beyond your companions;
8 your robes are all fragrant with myrrh and aloes and cassia.
From ivory palaces stringed instruments make you glad;
9 daughters of kings are among your ladies of honor;
at your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir.

6. Psalm 102: 25-27

He has broken my strength in midcourse;
he has shortened my days.
24 “O my God,” I say, “take me not away
in the midst of my days—
you whose years endure
throughout all generations!”

25 Of old you laid the foundation of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
26 They will perish, but you will remain;
they will all wear out like a garment.
You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away,
27 but you are the same, and your years have no end.

28 The children of your servants shall dwell secure;
their offspring shall be established before you.

7. Psalm 110:1

The Lord says to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand,
until I make your enemies your footstool.”

2 The Lord sends forth from Zion
your mighty scepter.
Rule in the midst of your enemies!
3 Your people will offer themselves freely
on the day of your power,[a]
in holy garments;[b]
from the womb of the morning,
the dew of your youth will be yours.[c]
4 The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind,
“You are a priest forever
after the order of Melchizedek.”

5 The Lord is at your right hand;
he will shatter kings on the day of his wrath.
6 He will execute judgment among the nations,
filling them with corpses;
he will shatter chiefs[d]
over the wide earth.
7 He will drink from the brook by the way;
therefore he will lift up his head.

Pretty sure 110 gets quoted again later......I think verse 4

Saved1021

by Saved1021 Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:01 pm

I'm really excited for this Bible study and hope to learn from others. I don't know that I'll have much to contribute but I'm looking forward to following along.

I have always been a little confused by Hebrews chapter 1. I don't understand the historical context of why the author felt he needed to point out that Jesus is above the angels. I do believe in angels but have never considered them more than helpers to God, certainly not equal to or above Jesus. I'm curious if anyone knows more of the context of this chapter.
Sharayah

by Sharayah Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:28 pm

I love how these scriptures refer back to Psalms which are so beautifully written.

I really like the verses of 13-14, which state:
"“Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet”?

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"

I have had a really tough year with so many things that I really feel verse 13 as God being our vindicator. I haven't see the fruits of this yet, but I know it is coming. Also in this tough time, God sends his ministering spirits to comfort and carry us through.
GianDavidsson

by GianDavidsson Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:04 pm

This chapter clearly establish the magnificient of Jesus and his authority and importance above the angels, in a world where many civilizations used to adore a diverse number of gods and deities, it's easy to understand how people fell to the bad practice of angel worship as if they were a god, but the only worthy of worship is Jesus.

As Unbroken426 said, we won't be angels, but on matthew 22:30 says: "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.", this is where people may get the misconceptive thought that we'll turn angels.

One interesting fact is that in 1 Corinthians 6 says: "If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!..". We will judge angels!

This makes us think a lot about the "divinity" of angel, of course we should respect them, as the Hebrew writer said: "Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?" (Hebrew 1:14), they are the servants of God, responsible for many duties and many of those deeds help us on our journey and mission on this earth as God commanded, but are they really worthy of worship when even they will be submitted to judgment? Meanwhile, our Lord is the judge and Jesus our advocate.
R.Talley

by R.Talley Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:55 pm

I like how this chapter how it declares that Jesus is above all but still died for everyone of us. And how verses 8,9 show the deity of Christ. "But to the Son he says, 'Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever. You rule with a scepter of justice. You love justice and hate evil. Therefore, O God, your God has anointed you, pouring out the oil of joy on you more than on anyone else.'” Hebrews 1:8‭-‬9 https://bible.com/bible/116/heb.1.8-9.NLT
:D
"Delight yourself also in the Lord , And He shall give you the desires of your heart."
-Psalms 37:4 NKJV
If your heart is for God then your desires are His will! Trust Jesus.
empup234

by empup234 Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 am

Hebrews is such a incredible book! My favorite part are verse 2-4! This part is just explaining that God and the Son are the same and the authority belongs to the Son just like it does to the Father! I thought that was super cool! It’s a great reminder that the one who took our place for the punishment of sin was God himself in the form of human flesh! I mean that is crazy thing to grasp, just how far God was willing to go to bring us back to him! God’s love is insane!
KristenReedTX

by KristenReedTX Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:57 pm

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1

I really enjoyed verses 1 through 3. They reminded me of the parable of the wicket tenants from Luke 20:9-18 and Colossians 1:15-17. It was a great reminder of Christ's greatness and how He emptied Himself and took on the form of a servant to come and die for us even after people rejected so many of God's prophets.

2. Things that challenged you

There wasn't anything in here particularly challenging for me.

3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us

I thought it was cool that the author of Hebrews was trying to elevate Christ above angels. We know from John's experience in Revelation that people may be prone to worship angels, but ultimately only the Godhead is worthy of our worship. Jesus is the visible image of the invisible God and not just a prophet or messenger. All things were created through Him, He holds all things together, He is the Father's only begotten Son, and He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. No one else in creation can claim any of those things!

4. Any questions that you may have

None for me!

5. Any related thoughts at all.

Reading about Jesus' supremacy above angels reminded me of Joshua 5:13-15 when Joshua met the Commander of the Lord's army. This is one of the rare times you see an angel actually accept worship, and it's because this wasn't a created angel in the traditional sense but pre-incarnate Christ Himself appearing to Joshua. Matthew Henry's commentary puts it like this: "This Man was the Son of God, the eternal Word. Joshua gave him divine honours: he received them, which a created angel would not have done,"
KristenReedTX

by KristenReedTX Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:36 pm

GianDavidsson wrote:One interesting fact is that in 1 Corinthians 6 says: "If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!..". We will judge angels!

Thanks for bringing up that passage! I just studied 1 and 2 Corinthians with my community group, but I forgot about that. So interesting!
rjessee72

by rjessee72 Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:23 pm

So glad the Bible study is getting started up. I had really slacked on my bible time lately and just in the last week had recommitted to reading some every day. I feel like this Bible study has been sent as my helper. Been a while since I've read Hebrews, great place to get started.
Vambram

by Vambram Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Hebrews is one of my favorite books in all of the New Testament. The Book of Hebrews teaches some of the most intense doctrines in all of the Bible. I am glad that Hebrews starts out with the fundamental truth that Jesus Christ is better, and that Jesus is not only the Son of God, but also an equal part of the Trinity with God the Father. Jesus is God.

But of the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions." And, "You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment, like a robe you will roll them up, like a garment they will be changed. But you are the same, and your years will have no end."
(Hebrews 1:8-12 ESV)

The “object” of the whole quotation is to show the exalted character of the Son of God. Why, in an argument designed to prove that the Son of God was superior to the angels, should the writer break out in an address to Yahweh in view of the fact that he had laid the foundations of the world, and that he himself would continue to live when the heavens should be rolled up and pass away? Such is not the manner of Paul or of any other good writer, and it is clear that the writer here designed to adduce this as applicable to the Messiah. Whatever difficulties there may be about the principles on which it is done, and the reason why This passage was selected for the purpose, there can be no doubt about the design of the writer. He meant to be understood as applying it to the Messiah beyond all question, or the quotation is wholly irrelevant, and it is inconceivable why it should have been made. “You Lord.” This is taken from Psalms 102:25-27. The quotation is made from the Septuagint with only a slight variation, and is an accurate translation of the Hebrew. In the Psalm, there can be no doubt that Yahweh is intended. This is apparent on the face of the Psalm, and particularly because the “name” Yahweh is introduced in Hebrews 1:10, and because He is addressed as the Creator of all things, and as immutable. No one, on reading the Psalm, ever would doubt that it referred to God, and if the apostle meant to apply it to the Lord Jesus it proves most conclusively that he is divine.

In verses 11 and 12, the writer compares Christ to the heavens and the earth. Jesus is also compared to clothing and robes. Although the heavens and earth appear to be permanent, or at least extremely long lasting, a time shall come when they shall be dissolved, and afterward new heavens and a new earth be formed, in which righteousness alone shall dwell. See 2 Peter 3:10-13. As a garment by long using becomes unfit to be longer used, so shall all visible things; they shall wear old, and wear out; and hence the necessity of their being renewed. It is remarkable that our word world is a contraction of wear old; a term by which our ancestors expressed the sentiment contained in this verse. That the word was thus compounded, and that it had this sense in our language, may be proved from the most competent and indisputable witnesses.

I am encouraged by verse 12 that the writer of Hebrews affirms the divinity and eternalness of the Lord Jesus Christ. "But you are the same, and your years will have no end."
These words can be said of no being but God; all others are changeable or perishable, because temporal; only that which is eternal can continue essentially, and, speaking after the manner of men, formally the same.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Return to Disciple Bible Study