Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

TITUS CHAPTER 1

by Kevin Young Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm

This week we will be discussing TITUS Chapter 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: TITUS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 am

6 An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe[b] and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Have we ever considered adding "enjoys the drawing of sheep" to this list?

15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

To the normal person almost everything is clean....to the germaphobe nothing is clean.....

The online stuff I looked at first says this is connected with 4:3-5....

3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:46 pm

I spammed this everywhere because I thought it was cool so why not throw it here too. It's part of Barclay's commentary on Matthew 6 talking about the Christian reward....

The second reward of the Christian life is still more work to do. It is the paradox of the Christian idea of rewards that a task well done does not bring rest and comfort and ease; it brings still greater demands and still more strenuous endeavors. In the parable of the talents the reward of the faithful servants was still greater responsibility (Matt 25: 14-30). When a teacher gets a really brilliant and able scholar, he does not exempt him from work; he gives him harder work than is given to anyone else. The brilliant young musician is given, not easier, but harder music to master. The lab who has played well in the second eleven is not put into the third eleven, where he could walk through the game without breaking sweat; he is put into the first eleven where he has to play his heart out. The Jews had a curious saying, They said that a wise teacher will treat the pupil "like a young heifer whose burden is increased daily." The Christian reward is the reverse of the world's reward. The world's reward would be an easier time; the reward of the Christian is that God lays still more and more upon a man to do for him and for his fellow-men. The harder the work we are given to do, the greater the reward.

Columbia

by Columbia Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:41 am

Will return when able to spend more time on the text. It has been my observation that most church leaders do not hold, 100%, to the requirements for leaders as listed here. Many people do not realize that these are mainly basic characteristics of a true believer in Christ. We are all to meet theses requirements! Many elders do not measure up to these characteristics because they are, well, sinners. Their families are sinners as well. The Scripture is filled with the ideals we all long to have. So the question is, who is actually qualified to be an elder? Do we follow the lesser of all evils while thinking we are qualified to evaluate a potential leader? Will leave this with you while getting ready to toddle off to work.
Columbia

by Columbia Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Verses 10-16 solve the mystery as to why any sinful human being would be placed into the office of an elder. #1 important distinction: They must be a true believer in Christ. Other passages narrow the requirement to a person who is "not a novice." Being a one-woman man with believing children is present in this passage. This does not, however, say that the man has to be married. This is a traditional translation preference of "husband of one wife." One woman man is more general and implies excellence in moral virtue. The crowning statement as to an elder's qualifications is, "He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught so that he may give instruction in sound doctrine and also rebuke those who contradict it." This leads me to believe that elders are not necessarily those men who are voted or appointed to an office. Some men stand out as exemplary. These could be considered elders by virtue of a life that has proven them to be stable members of the body of Christ. The children thing is a tough one. I have seen that debated over and over again. Usually this is wavered in favor of a man who has been pre-selected for an office. So, really, not many churches actually cling to this list anyway. I say that to our discredit. Leaders are to be stable in the display of their faith in Christ. This is a day of competitive politics in the church. This being our nature, it is no wonder that Paul gave this instruction to Titus.
bandmonkey08

by bandmonkey08 Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:55 pm

For there are many rebellious people who engage in useless talk and deceive others. This is especially true of those who insist on circumcision for salvation. They must be silenced, because they are turning whole families away from the truth by their false teaching. And they do it only for money. Even one of their own men, a prophet from Crete, has said about them, “The people of Crete are all liars, cruel animals, and lazy gluttons.” This is true. So reprimand them sternly to make them strong in the faith. They must stop listening to Jewish myths and the commands of people who have turned away from the truth.
vs 10-14

i found this to be very interesting that Paul specifically mentions this here because it parallels what i've been studying in Colossians (ch 2 vs 1-8).
in that section of Colossians, Paul is heavily emphasizing the need to keep Christ central- solely Christ and the simplicity of the gospel. as I've been studying this bit in Colossians, i see it as an theme woven through most of Paul's letters to the churches.

in Colossians 2:6-9 it says:
Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,

:idea: to elaborate further- whenever the text says "therefore", you always want to find out what "therefore" is there for -- and in this case, it's pointing back to the verses before it where it says,
For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you and for those at Laodicea and for all who have not seen me face to face, that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I say this in order that no one may delude you with plausible arguments.
(Col. ch 2 vs 1-4)

---
I quote all of this text of Colossians to draw together the parallels Paul is making between both texts: that our lives should be centered on Christ and there shouldn't be anything added to it. for example- sometimes people can be so hung up on certain disciplines that can be good, that they forget the reason is Christ. ie: fasting (for breakthrough, to see angels, for purification etc <-- examples of reasons why people fast on principle). that's not to say that fasting isn't a good thing to do, but what is your goal? WHY are you fasting?
if the goal isn't Christ, then we've missed the target.

...and that's what Paul is bringing back here in this section of Titus. What i find particularly interesting is how Paul (multiple times in scripture) equates 'adding to the gospel' to false teaching. i think that's interesting because when i've always thought of a false teacher, i think of someone spewing out fire and brimstone threats almost like a cult, but here Paul is actually saying, no it's simply trying to make the gospel be more than about Christ.

i've literally been chewing on this for over a month and i love that it keeps coming back around. :mrgreen:
~Liz

"i choose to be alive
especially because the
odds say i should die"
-lacey sturm

We are the Alliance:
http://www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
jrowe3737

by jrowe3737 Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 am

This seems to be about why we need elders, as well as what their qualifications and responsibilities should be.

So, we need them in every town, and the person should be of good reputation (lots of description there, so I simplify). It seems interesting to me that it specifically mentions one wife, though elsewhere in the Bible there are multiple wives. I wonder if this is a cultural shift over a period of time (I cant say I actually have looked into that), or if it is because an elder needs to be focused on God, and the more wives you have, the more "earth bound" you are. Dunno.

What I struggle with in this passage is that the children of an elder cannot be rebellious. I have seen many good people with difficult children. Does that mean they are disqualified from service as an elder? Or does it simply mean that having children prone to disobedience could make an elder SEEM less credible. Or is it that an elder would be too distracted by their family to do the church any good? Finally, could it be that the word "rebellious" means something else, and this was the best translation we have in English for that word, or that the word has evolved over time. I'm a language teacher, so I deal with things "lost in translation" on a daily basis.

I found it interesting what it says about how the pure see the world, and how that compares to how the corrupt see the world. It makes sense, though I had never thought of that before.
Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
daniraedeisher

by daniraedeisher Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:44 am

bandmonkey08 - "if the goal isn't Christ, then we've missed the target."
Eye-opening observation! Reminds me of "I Just Know". Thanks for the reminder to keep Jesus first!

Verses 9 and 13 stuck out to me.
"He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it."

and
"This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith..."

I love Jesus, undoubtedly. I don't know if it's a character flaw or something, but I feel like I'm naturally wired to avoid conflict. When I read about how Jesus rebuked people (i.e, calling the Pharisees a brood of vipers), I feel uncomfortable, as if I'm in the room with two people arguing. If someone I love is doing something or believes something harmful, I really struggle with how / if I should lovingly correct them. My hubby loves to debate, and he's good at it. I think that I worry about hurting other people's feelings. It reminds me of Matt. 10:28

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."
Please pray for me to have wisdom to do what God wants me to do and that He would give me boldness in a way that honors Him.
Colossians 3
barn43

by barn43 Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 pm

7 An elder is a manager of God's household so he must live a blameless life.

I think we are all held to this standard as Christians, not just the leaders of the Church. Living a "blameless life" can prove difficult at times but also rewarding. Like not having a foul mouth at work when all the other guys and gals use profane words constantly. People notice this sort of thing so I think trying to live a blameless life is pretty serious stuff that God has called us to.

Really enjoy all the excellent comments on this topic.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:25 pm

matthew henry on 1:15

To good Christians that are sound in the faith and thereby purified all things are pure. Meats and drinks, and such things as were forbidden under the law (the observances of which some still maintain), in these there is now no such distinction, all are pure (lawful and free in their use), but to those that are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; things lawful and good they abuse and turn to sin; they suck poison out of that from which others draw sweetness; their mind and conscience, those leading faculties, being defiled, a taint is communicated to all they do. The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, Prov. 15:8. And Prov. 21:4; The ploughing of the wicked is sin, not in itself, but as done by him; the carnality of the mind and heart mars all the labour of the hand.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 pm

16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

matthew henry on 1:16

There are many who in word and tongue profess to know God, and yet in their lives and conversations deny and reject him; their practice is a contradiction to their profession.

Sometimes i wonder if God should just leave me depressed, maybe I will remain silent then. This hasn't really been one of my better weeks out in the world as a child of God. Here's another reason why you should keep your mind and hearts out of the gutter and out of perverted things...perhaps it can keep you from the foul sense of humor I have a hard time resisting sometimes.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:52 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

matthew henry on 1:16

There are many who in word and tongue profess to know God, and yet in their lives and conversations deny and reject him; their practice is a contradiction to their profession.

Sometimes i wonder if God should just leave me depressed, maybe I will remain silent then. This hasn't really been one of my better weeks out in the world as a child of God. Here's another reason why you should keep your mind and hearts out of the gutter and out of perverted things...perhaps it can keep you from the foul sense of humor I have a hard time resisting sometimes.

Ouch. I really feel you on this one, unfortunately...

An elder is a manager of God’s household, so he must live a blameless life. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered; he must not be a heavy drinker, violent, or dishonest with money. Rather, he must enjoy having guests in his home, and he must love what is good. He must live wisely and be just. He must live a devout and disciplined life.
Titus 1:7‭-‬8 NLT

It hurts to read this and realize that I'm doing more on the "don't be like this" list than on the "live this way" list.

Everything is pure to those whose hearts are pure. But nothing is pure to those who are corrupt and unbelieving, because their minds and consciences are corrupted. Such people claim they know God, but they deny him by the way they live. They are detestable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good.
Titus 1:15‭-‬16 NLT

This is painful.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Oh no the NLT says you have to enjoy having guests in your home? I actually hate having people at my house, its sad. Its the germaphobe "I don't want people touching my stuff" part of me that hates it.

But yeah, I've been on the "do not be like this" part too much lately too. I've been thinking a lot about all the anger, bitterness, and crude/perverted language and thoughts that need to be removed lately. All the stuff I don't really talk about much....but stuff that I should talk about more...but seriously who in the world wants to hear about this stuff? No one does, they just want to have fun and enjoy their lives and time with people...

Not really sure what to do though with this daunting task God has been nudging me with for a while. Its not something I can do on my own...yet I haven't really talked to God about it. I don't like asking for prayers, it feels like attention seeking...and I'm sure no one wants to hear about inner demons that I have lived with half my life or more and all the spiritual torment I have dealt with lately,

Vambram

by Vambram Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Code: Select all
To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.
(Titus 1:15 ESV)

"To the pure, all things are pure"
There is probably references the distinctions made in respect to meats and drinks among the Jews. Some articles of food were regarded as “clean,” or allowed to be eaten, and some as “unclean,” or forbidden. Paul says that those distinctions ceased under the Christian dispensation, and that to those who had a conscience not easily troubled by nice and delicate questions about ceremonial observances, all kinds of food might be regarded as lawful and proper; see 1 Timothy 4:4-5.
If a man habitually maintains a good conscience in the sight of God, it will be accepted of him whether he do or do not abstain from certain kinds of food; see Colossians 2:16. This passage, therefore, should not be interpreted as proving that all things are right and lawful for a Christian, or that whatever he may choose to do will be regarded as pure, but as primarily referring to distinctions in food, and meaning that there was no sanctity in eating one kind of food, and no sin in another, but that the mind was equally pure whatever was eaten.
The phrase has a proverbial cast, though I know not that it was so fused. The principle of the declaration is, that a pure mind - a truly pious mind - will not regard the distinctions of food and drink; of festivals, rites, ceremonies, and days, as necessary to be observed in order to promote its purity. The conscience is not to be burdened and enslaved by these things, but is to be controlled only by the moral laws which God has ordained. However, I believe that there is also a higher application of the phrase "To the pure, all things are pure" Every ordinance of religion, every command of God, every event that occurs in divine Providential control of the Lord does tend to promote the holiness of one who is of pure heart. He can see a sanctifying tendency in everything, and can derive from all that is commanded, and all that occurs, the means of making the heart more holy. While a depraved mind will turn every such thing to a pernicious use, and make it the means of augmenting its malignity and corruption, to the pure mind it will be the means of increasing its confidence in God, and of making itself more holy. To such a mind everything may become a means of grace.

"but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure"
No matter what ordinances of religion they observe; what distinctions of meats, or drinks, or days they regard, and what events of Providence occur, all are the occasion of augmented depravity. Such distinctions in food they make the means of fostering their pride and producing self-righteousness. Those whom are false believers and not truly born again with the indwelling Holy Spirit, they abuse the mercies of God to pamper their own lusts. Naturally, the unsaved are still corrupt at heart, and no ordinances of religion, and no events of Providence, make them any better, but all tend to deepen their depravity.

"but both their minds and their consciences are defiled"
In their consciences, the unsaved, both to offered and received grace, nothing is pure. They have no part in Christ, and the wrath of God abides upon them. Their mind is contaminated with impure and unholy images and ideas, and their conscience is defiled with the guilt of sins already committed against God.

Code: Select all
They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.
(Titus 1:16 ESV)

It was for this reason; from the character of the people of the island of Crete, and of those who claimed to be teachers there enforcing the obligation of the Mosaic law, that it was so important for Titus to exercise special care in introducing men into the ministry, and in completing the arrangements contemplated in the organization of the churches there. Yet is this character confined to them? Are there none now who profess that they know God, but in works deny him; whose conduct is such that it ought to be abhorred; who are disobedient to the plain commands of God, and whose character in respect to all that pertains to true piety is to be disapproved by the truly pious, and will be by God at the last day? The sad truth is that when looking at the Church at large, there are many who profess to know the Lord but in truth deny Him by their works, and the fact that there are such persons is the grand hindrance to the triumphs of true Christianity on the earth. “The way to heaven is blocked up by dead professors of religion.”
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Columbia

by Columbia Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 am

Wow! Didn't realize people are still posting on this one. To Sam, I just want to say "growing pains." They never go away this side of heaven. It's easy for me to look back and say, "It's worth it." A bit tougher when we are going through it. The Lord is faithful to purge us. Sam, Courtney, and everyone else on here really encourage me with your honesty. As for me, I am trying to get back on that proverbial horse. New church as of five weeks ago. Not sure where this is going but have availed myself for service there or in an outreach from that church. Will meet with the pastor to discuss the details. This is risky. This is usually the place where other saints, and sometimes the leaders, shut me out. This church has been around for a few decades and has the generations who have grown up there. But our hearts are to serve the Lord, my wife and I. Please pray for both of us. Thanks
Return to Disciple Bible Study