Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 4

by Kevin Young Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:52 pm

This week we will be discussing 2 Timothy Chapter 4. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 4
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Kevin Young
Bouncer

Re: 2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 4

by Kevin Young Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:42 pm

1I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he comes to set up his Kingdom: 2Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.

This is so cool. Paul, instructing his fellow pastor Timothy with some wise words... Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. That is good for all of us. Being prepared when the time is favorable is much easier. But the moment that we will need to be prepared the most is when the time is not favorable. Correcting and rebuking are tricky. People don't like to be corrected which doesn't make sense, because of none of would use a GPS and just expect it to keep its mouth shut when we are going the wrong way for fear that it would offend us ;). But boy we don't like it when someone comes to us and says that there are things about our behavior that need to change according to the Word of God. But Paul wisely says "patiently" correct and rebuke. We all need correction, and it sure does help when the correction comes with patience, mercy, and grace.

3For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.
This is an easy trap to fall in to. Most of our prayers revolve around our wants and our needs. I would say a small percentage of our prayers include the needs of others and the desires of God. So of course it is very natural that we would rather hear "messages" that give us what we want to hear. You know most of us have asked questions like "Is it ok to smoke cigarettes?" or "how far is too far when dating someone?" If you look at these questions, they are coming from a selfish point of view. What if we instead just simply asked, "God what is your desire of me?" Most of the answers to those questions become irrelevant when you dare to ask the most important question.

5But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.
Don't be afraid of suffering for the Lord? How in the world are we supposed to do that?!!! right? But here Paul clearly instructs Timothy with those words. God will sometimes use our suffering to advance His kingdom (Jesus is a perfect example of this). We must not fear it, and must be ready for it. These are the moments where we become extremely depressed (been there recently), and don't "feel" like doing anything. And it is in these moments that we have to let out a righteous raging shout/scream that we will not give up.... that God is on our side. And if He is for us, than who can be against us?

6As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 8And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing..

.... And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing. Now that is exciting. Paul has come to the end of his life. He knows it will be over soon (for what reason we don't know). But he is not afraid. He is looking forward to it. My prayer is that all of us can have that same attitude at the end of our days. To reject fear, and embrace death, knowing the crown of righteousness that lies ahead.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:42 pm

Being prepared or not can maybe include whether you are really being the best example you can be or not. My anger and bitterness have been way out of control lately. I've blogged about it recently because I've been trying to figure it out a little more since its actually been a huge problem for me for years that I don't really talk about with anyone. I've been looking into this leadership of kind class at at the same time and I've been thinking today if I even should do any sort of leadership class while my anger and bitterness have such a hold on me.

The best I can do is to just use my shortcomings for something useful for God so maybe something good can come from it....

Suffering for God.....oh yeah for sure....when you get onto something and get on the right track there's a very good chance evil is going to get onto you with everything they've got. I deal with it all the time when I start something new in my outreach. And that's not even mentioning when the people in the world lash back....because they certainly do lash back at times in their at times very backwards thinking on things.

3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

There is so much of this. I personally think of that "do whatever makes you happy" thinking. Doing just whatever makes you happy isn't always going to be the right answer. Chasing that fleeting fickle feeling is like chasing a ghost because happiness can not endure all the time. And we aren't always the best children of God when can be when everything is good and we have no worries. And that "I'm spiritual" thing some people say really is just pickling and choosing whatever pieces of a belief you want and discarding the rest in a way. Its so broad and general and says nothing really.

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Is that something I am even worthy of saying when my time here is drawing to a close?
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Columbia

by Columbia Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:23 pm

"Preach the word" was once a personal admonition, to me, from mentors who were instructing me to be a preacher. So I preached the word and have been troubled by many for doing so. These are times when church people often seem to be more concerned with their own passions than with holding closely to God's precious word. It's okay, it seems, to cling to celebrity speakers who have many years in successful communication. It kind of reminds me of when Jesus corrected His own followers for trying to stop a person from casting out demons in Christ's name. Jesus more or less told them that there was no competition issue here. He rather said, "Do not stop him" (Matthew 9:38 & 39). How different from our way of doing things! Did you get the pastor's permission to do that? or Who told you you could do that? is a normal response from Christians. Any attempt to exercise spiritual freedom is so often quashed. I am not promoting anarchy here. But there are times when followers of Christ overstep their own authority because they are insecure about themselves. Christ wants us to be secure in Him. When we come to a place of trusting the authority of Christ we have no reason to fear anyone who is His partner in His ministry. A good pastor recognizes that he is not the only pastor in his congregation. Rather than trying to stop gifted people from exhibiting pastoral qualities, he will allow them to flow in their gifting. Jesus was, is, and always will be the ultimate pastor. He is the Lord who is our shepherd (Psalm 23:1). He entrusted Paul with the task of being a mentor to Timothy. Timothy is not put into his place here. He is told to "be sober minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry" (verse 5 of the text). The scrapping over position junk that often goes on in ministry is contrary to the will of Christ. Paul mastered being an equipper's equipper. He was equipped by the great Equipper......
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 am

So this anger thing....I'm at this point where I'm trying to give up something that is HUGE part of me. Haha a huge part I've covered up, how many people know the real me then? I've got 2 questions for that are haunting me right now...

How in the world do I give it up? I don't know how except find who I'm actually angry with...and that I am still trying to figure out...my only guess is that I'm angry with me....and that is going to be hard to let go if that is the case...

Also....once this anger if gone, if its ever gone.....what will be left of me afterwards? will anything be left? will there be anything worth putting back together or will there be only bits of bone and flesh left behind?

16 At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. 17 But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

This is a really cool part I can seriously relate to. I know I've never been deserted in that way, but sometimes it has felt that way. Its amazing how he follows that up with "may it not be held against them"...that's really hard to say. Years have gone by before I can say it wasn't their fault. All the deliverance and rescue there is awesome and just what i needed to hear. I'm sitting here like "please do the same for me I'm tired of this".

Columbia

by Columbia Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:So this anger thing....I'm at this point where I'm trying to give up something that is HUGE part of me. Haha a huge part I've covered up, how many people know the real me then? I've got 2 questions for that are haunting me right now...

How in the world do I give it up? I don't know how except find who I'm actually angry with...and that I am still trying to figure out...my only guess is that I'm angry with me....and that is going to be hard to let go if that is the case...

Also....once this anger if gone, if its ever gone.....what will be left of me afterwards? will anything be left? will there be anything worth putting back together or will there be only bits of bone and flesh left behind?

16 At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. 17 But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

This is a really cool part I can seriously relate to. I know I've never been deserted in that way, but sometimes it has felt that way. Its amazing how he follows that up with "may it not be held against them"...that's really hard to say. Years have gone by before I can say it wasn't their fault. All the deliverance and rescue there is awesome and just what i needed to hear. I'm sitting here like "please do the same for me I'm tired of this".

This is a really cool part I can seriously relate to. I know I've never been deserted in that way, but sometimes it has felt that way. Its amazing how he follows that up with "may it not be held against them"...that's really hard to say. Years have gone by before I can say it wasn't their fault. All the deliverance and rescue there is awesome and just what i needed to hear. I'm sitting here like "please do the same for me I'm tired of this".[/quote]

Have been hearing some insightful preaching about anger from Chip Ingram on Moody Radio. That's a big one for me too. It really helps to have a calm praying wife. Being angry is not always a sin. It really is more what you do with it that counts. Satan loves to make us feel ashamed when we are angry for good reasons. None of us handle it perfectly but there is hope. I was so angry this morning that my stomach cramped. The anger lasted for two hours before I could pray decently. It was over my hearing the news that my friend was found guilty of murder without adequate evidence against him. That was kind of the last straw for me. But you know, I am not the one who will spend life in a maximum security prison. Suddenly my problems seem pretty small. And there is still eternity to look forward to.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:59 am

Pretty sure most of mine is just a burning intense hatred of myself that causes me to feel like all I deserve in this life and the next is pain and death....oh yeah Satan torments me with it that's for sure. I'm at step one of figuring it out and admitting it I guess.

I think God is like "okay now its time for you to put this one down"....just like alcohol before it.....

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:05 pm

3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

This makes me so sad, because I've been seeing this for years within the Methodist church. I know it's happening everywhere, but to watch it unfold so close to home is painful. I have a good number of friends who are clergy; I have sat in on many discussions concerning controversial decisions within the church; heck, I even had a vote on some of the conference-wide decisions a few years ago. A good number of clergy no longer focus on teaching from the Bible, but instead turn to heated discussions on The Book of Discipline and current church politics. I look at this verse and I see the modern church.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Columbia

by Columbia Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:12 am

sassy1506 wrote:

This makes me so sad, because I've been seeing this for years within the Methodist church. I know it's happening everywhere, but to watch it unfold so close to home is painful. I have a good number of friends who are clergy; I have sat in on many discussions concerning controversial decisions within the church; heck, I even had a vote on some of the conference-wide decisions a few years ago. A good number of clergy no longer focus on teaching from the Bible, but instead turn to heated discussions on The Book of Discipline and current church politics. I look at this verse and I see the modern church.

It amazes me how many solid gospel preaching churches and organizations have gone into error in the past three decades. It takes a lot of guts to hold to the truth in our own churches today. The world is tame by comparison. But there is great hope in Christ.
Tnmartin86

by Tnmartin86 Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello, my name is Teddi. I'm new to this bible study. I'm a wife & mom to 2 handsome boys; 9 & 2 (next month). I am very excited to jump in & get started. 2 Timothy 4 is one of my favorite chapters!

2 Preach the word; be prepared in season & out of season; Correct, rebuke, & encourage - with great patience & careful instruction.

The bible tells us it is our responsibility as followers of Christ to spread His word to the ends of the earth. We must always be prepared for the moments/opportunities God puts before us so an unbeliever does not miss out on the chance to receive God's grace.

God tells us to correct, rebuke, & encourage others with great patience & careful instruction. This can be very difficult on both sides. You don't want to hurt someone but if they are doing something wrong, it is our duty to show them..... in a loving manner of course. On the other hand, it can be hard to hear that we're messing up & others are noticing it. I have recently received God correction. I was saved at any early age & within a couple years went through a major crisis in my life. I didn't rely of God like I was taught. Instead, I went down a dark path that took me about 13 years to fully recover from. This path was full of drugs & alcohol. After recovering from the drug use, the alcohol lingered. Recently, within the last year & a half I got really drunk. I felt so ashamed of my behavior. I felt guilty for not obeying God's word. He had specifically told me at an early age to be sober in all situations. I finally decided that alcohol had to go as well. My husband is still lost on that journey & I pray daily for God to bring him back. I know that my part here is to be a wife that has her eyes focused on Christ, submissive to her husband, who gently corrects & encourages. I will be patient & wait on the Lord, for He is good.

5 But you, be sober in all situations, endure hardships, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

When I was young, probably around 11 years old, I was doing my morning devotional at church camp. I was supposed to be reading out of Titus 1 but found that the two weren't matching up. I could feel God tugging on my heart & saying this is my plan for you. I read the verse over & over. I was reading 2 Timothy 4:5 "But you, be sober in all situations, endure hardships, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill the duties of your ministry." It makes me sad & angry to look back & know that within 2 years I would let Satan pull the wool over my eyes for the next 17 years. I haven't put this into action yet but I feel Him tugging at my heart. I know I will never find fulfillment until I surrender to His calling. I'm not sure exactly what it is yet but my heart is open & I trust He will lead me there.
Teddi Martin

But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. 2 Timothy 4:5
Tnmartin86

by Tnmartin86 Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:Pretty sure most of mine is just a burning intense hatred of myself that causes me to feel like all I deserve in this life and the next is pain and death....oh yeah Satan torments me with it that's for sure. I'm at step one of figuring it out and admitting it I guess.

I think God is like "okay now its time for you to put this one down"....just like alcohol before it.....

I would highly recommend reading Fervent by Priscilla Shirer. It is an amazing book full of prayer strategies to stay on guard & fight against Satan's attacks. Your comment made me think of one of her quotes in particular.... "If I were your enemy, I'd devalue your strength & magnify your insecurities until they dominate how you see yourself, disabling & disarming you from fighting back, from being free, from being who God has created you to be. I'd work hard to ensure that you never realize what God has given you so you'll doubt the power of God within you." From my experience, when Satan is after me hard it's because God has something really good in store & he doesn't want me focused in on it. I have a lot of experience in letting Satan push me around. My passion is singing but in the past I've always let Satan make me think I'm not good enough & that I'll never amount to anything. I don't even know how to write songs. I just love to sing. But I have to remind myself that it's not about me, it's about God.
Teddi Martin

But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. 2 Timothy 4:5
Return to Disciple Bible Study