Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 3

by Kevin Young Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:02 pm

This week we will be discussing 2 Timothy Chapter 3. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 3
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
shaymags308

Re: 2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 3

by shaymags308 Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:13 pm

So this verse hit me hard. I've been struggling with a lot of things over the past year, and in every way I feel like I'm being attacked. In verse 12 it says, "Yes, and all who desire to live godly lives in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution". I cried when I read this. Most people hear persecution and think about the people going against them, but sometimes the hardest part of our lives is the spiritual battle. Satan is constantly throwing new attacks, trying to get to our hearts. We have a target on our foreheads and over our hearts. And I keep getting frustrated because I keep falling back into old ways and thinking, especially when I'm determined to get out of it once and for all. The hardest battles are fought when we're trying to leave behind old sin, and it's when we need fellow Christians the most...

So, I don't know if you answer these, Kevin, but my one question is, what can you say to a young teenager (me) who's trying to fight her way out after a year of depression and multiple types of self-harm?

Thank you if you answer this

-Shannon
"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2:20 I AM SECOND
Bigcuzdave

by Bigcuzdave Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Hey guys, I just found the forum and decided to join in. I look forward to going through some scripture with you guys!
Bigcuzdave

by Bigcuzdave Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:21 pm

Hey guys, I just found the forum and decided to join in. I look forward to going through some scripture with you guys!
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:22 am

12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it,

Sometime last year I said whatever happens in the future, our work isn't finished so we must continue it. Before this it says all that awful sounding stuff that will happen and one could be like "what do I do??"...but then Paul just tells him to keep doing what he's doing based on what he's learned.

That's all we can do really when the world is going insane...stick to the teachings and keep going based on them. There are so many things out of our hands and so many people we will never convince otherwise because they are stuck in their ways. So all you can do is keep going, keep up the good fight, and keep God's work going as he's called you to do in your time on this earth.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
HisDisciple319

by HisDisciple319 Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:45 am

Though verses 16-17 are common verses to hear, they are still powerful to me. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

The parts of this chapter that really challenged me were the first 9 verses. It is almost scary how close we are to all of those types of behavior and sin being "norms" in our society. They are a challenge to me to resist those things and live a life testimony to show others that they do not need to rely on those things to be happy and satisfied in life.

Though verses 16-17 are common verses in Christian society, I think it is important for us to look at them closely and to dig in deep to scripture and how God can use it in each of our individual lives, and to glorify Him.

What kinds of things can we do in our world today to combat in a way Jesus would the things mentioned at the beginning of the chapter? Sometimes the world and its problems seem so big, what are some small steps we can take to make a lasting, impacting change in peoples lives?
Once4All

by Once4All Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Joining in the study a couple chapters late but I figured this is a good time to put more effort toward my relationship with God and it's an opportunity I'm wanting to take. So here goes nothing!

The very first paragraph is so telling of how the times are now:

You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

I know everyone's always assuming "oohhh right NOW the end times are here!" and I can see why they might think that. But honestly I look at the world now and it just seems...so bad and corrupt. Everything in this little chunk I see daily and some of them even I commit! It's good to take a step back and look over this to check yourself. Things like pride and disobedience are easy to slip into.
One thing in particular I like about this paragraph is "They will consider nothing sacred." I first opened my eyes to this particular idea via Switchfoot's song "Selling The News" when Jon sings "when nothing is sacred, there's nothing to lose." How true this message is! It seems once the boundaries on something are broken it just keeps getting pushed further and further until everything is acceptable and nothing is deemed sacred.

11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it. 12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived.

I always have to remind myself that I'm going to be hated for my love of Christ and my relationship with Him. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the "I'm right, you're wrong" sort of thinking when people hate on me for my faith (especially in politics lol). But I need to gladly and faithfully follow God no matter who beats me down. Words are just words and I value my Father's love and my relationship with Him much more than I value being a friend with the world.
Verse 13 is also really important to remember since Satan is prowling around like a roaring lion. He's using the evil people and impostors to try and sway us and others and we need to be aware and actively ready.

6 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

And this is the difference between how we view the world and how the world views itself. The world will eventually have no rules or morality. They're all rapidly deteriorating. But God uses his Word to show us what we need to do and what is right and wrong.

Well hopefully my rambling made some sort of sense :lol:
"I'm done trying to hide my life away from Mercy's eyes."
- Disciple, Once and For All
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:29 am

Wells it the 5 year anniversary of me joining the boards date so I better make a post! Wow y'all have been stuck with me forever :P

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.

This sounds like an episode I've seen on Discovery ID. If I sat here and thought about it I could pick which show on that channel even sadly.

Reformation Study Bible on 3:8-3:8 Jannes and Jambres. In Jewish tradition, these names were given to two Egyptian magicians who opposed Moses before Pharaoh (Ex. 7; 8).

For some reason that wasn't clicking with me so I had to look it up.

9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

Well it seems like people get away with stuff for a long time and people don't see their folly more than this happening in my opinion.....

10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them.

Yeah, God does rescues us from it all...and that's hard to admit sometimes because many times it feels more like back in the day that I am that sheep left to die somewhere out on the middle of nowhere away from the flock.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:32 am

Once4All wrote:Joining in the study a couple chapters late but I figured this is a good time to put more effort toward my relationship with God and it's an opportunity I'm wanting to take. So here goes nothing!

The very first paragraph is so telling of how the times are now:

You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

I know everyone's always assuming "oohhh right NOW the end times are here!" and I can see why they might think that. But honestly I look at the world now and it just seems...so bad and corrupt. Everything in this little chunk I see daily and some of them even I commit! It's good to take a step back and look over this to check yourself. Things like pride and disobedience are easy to slip into.
One thing in particular I like about this paragraph is "They will consider nothing sacred." I first opened my eyes to this particular idea via Switchfoot's song "Selling The News" when Jon sings "when nothing is sacred, there's nothing to lose." How true this message is! It seems once the boundaries on something are broken it just keeps getting pushed further and further until everything is acceptable and nothing is deemed sacred.

11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it. 12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived.

I always have to remind myself that I'm going to be hated for my love of Christ and my relationship with Him. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the "I'm right, you're wrong" sort of thinking when people hate on me for my faith (especially in politics lol). But I need to gladly and faithfully follow God no matter who beats me down. Words are just words and I value my Father's love and my relationship with Him much more than I value being a friend with the world.
Verse 13 is also really important to remember since Satan is prowling around like a roaring lion. He's using the evil people and impostors to try and sway us and others and we need to be aware and actively ready.

6 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

And this is the difference between how we view the world and how the world views itself. The world will eventually have no rules or morality. They're all rapidly deteriorating. But God uses his Word to show us what we need to do and what is right and wrong.

Well hopefully my rambling made some sort of sense :lol:

I'm 5 days late on this, but great post!!

Columbia

by Columbia Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:03 am

Nasty. That's how I view all the sinful behavior listed in this chapter. The list is rather comprehensive. Yet, Paul very simply offsets this intensive power of evil by mentioning salvation and the power of God's word. No matter how much the awful designs of men and demons may bother us, we are secure in the salvation of the Lord and the absolute solid truth of His word. As a bunch of threat swirls around me the Lord has me in His hand. Getting a little grasp on this biblical concept ruined scary movies for me. Things just don't seem that spooky any more. In the mean time, I have demoted myself to sub-laity in my local church. That seems to take the edge off the increasing division between clergy and laity. And when confronted about a Facebook post that the church does not like, it makes it easier to just ask, "Why do want to waste your time on a small fry like me?" By the way, did you notice that unity is not the primary focus in this passage? It is not even on the screen. So if a church that was divided before I came along accuses me of causing division, it's just a joke. No reason to get upset. It does not delete anything from the salvation of the Lord nor from His word. Paul mentions "persecutions" and "impostors" that will plague "those who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus." So I may complain like Job did. But that complaining is foolish for me to do. Been saved for decades and am still growing in Christ. What a miracle! Maybe I won't die as a crusty old dude after all.
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:00 pm

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
2 Timothy 3:16 NLT

I'm not gonna lie, I saw more of myself in the icky sinful bits at the beginning than I'd want to. That killed me this week. But also, it did exactly what it was supposed to; it stopped me in my tracks and made me rethink where I'm going. So it's time to get back on track. Again.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 pm

shaymags308 wrote:So this verse hit me hard. I've been struggling with a lot of things over the past year, and in every way I feel like I'm being attacked. In verse 12 it says, "Yes, and all who desire to live godly lives in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution". I cried when I read this. Most people hear persecution and think about the people going against them, but sometimes the hardest part of our lives is the spiritual battle. Satan is constantly throwing new attacks, trying to get to our hearts. We have a target on our foreheads and over our hearts. And I keep getting frustrated because I keep falling back into old ways and thinking, especially when I'm determined to get out of it once and for all. The hardest battles are fought when we're trying to leave behind old sin, and it's when we need fellow Christians the most...

So, I don't know if you answer these, Kevin, but my one question is, what can you say to a young teenager (me) who's trying to fight her way out after a year of depression and multiple types of self-harm?

-Shannon

Hey Shannon! I'm gonna jump in here because I have been in your shoes...I'm still in your shoes in many ways.

I'm 33 now, and I've been fighting depression since high school. I was addicted to self harm through cutting for several years of high school and college. I've fought other addicted like alcohol and drugs...I quit drinking in July 2015 for good finally.

The first thing I would tell you is yes it is a fight, BUT ITS WORTH IT!! You know, hope is always with you because God is always with you! Hope can not be taken away from you by this world because it is based in the eternal promises of God. And this hope is even better because IT WILL be fulfilled one day because God promised Eternity for his children after this world! All the suffering we deal with here is temporary. its a blink compared to eternity! so even if you suffer from birth until death, its still temporary! So all you have to do is keep up the fight a little while longer and keep hold of God and don't give up, and heaven is yours forever!

But why do we suffer? I know why I have suffered....so I could sit here and tell you that I've been through it all and I'm still here and still faithful, and you can get through this too!

Depression is something we have to just fight, and its REALLY HARD to fight! Depression is telling you to give up, lay down and die. Its telling you to stop doing all those things we love and avoid all those people who care about you. And its feeding lies into our heads and poisoning us. The best thing you can do is fight against it. Keep doing those things you love even if you don't want you. Keep getting out and seeing friends and family. Keep getting up. Keep going. Even if its hard, and even if it takes everything in you, keep going.

When it comes to self harm...I know how hard it is to quit, believe me. The last time I relapsed that feeling that I was going to have to say no and drop it again felt awful. You've never lost the choice to say no. I know when we get lost in addiction we get poisoned into thinking we can't say no, but we never lost the choice to say no. its just become really really really hard to say no. I absolutely believe you can beat this and get through this, and I always will believe in you.

A relapse doesn't take away your amazing progress, don't ever forget that! Relapses are a part of the process, we all fall down along the way. The important part isn't how few or many times your relapse....the important is that you get back up EVERY SINGLE TIME you fall down. You have to get back up each time and keep going.

So yeah, I've been there, you're not alone here! This is a fight you can win, I know it! God knows it too :).

shaymags308

by shaymags308 Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:26 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
shaymags308 wrote:So this verse hit me hard. I've been struggling with a lot of things over the past year, and in every way I feel like I'm being attacked. In verse 12 it says, "Yes, and all who desire to live godly lives in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution". I cried when I read this. Most people hear persecution and think about the people going against them, but sometimes the hardest part of our lives is the spiritual battle. Satan is constantly throwing new attacks, trying to get to our hearts. We have a target on our foreheads and over our hearts. And I keep getting frustrated because I keep falling back into old ways and thinking, especially when I'm determined to get out of it once and for all. The hardest battles are fought when we're trying to leave behind old sin, and it's when we need fellow Christians the most...

-Shannon

Hey Shannon! I'm gonna jump in here because I have been in your shoes...I'm still in your shoes in many ways.

I'm 33 now, and I've been fighting depression since high school. I was addicted to self harm through cutting for several years of high school and college. I've fought other addicted like alcohol and drugs...I quit drinking in July 2015 for good finally.

The first thing I would tell you is yes it is a fight, BUT ITS WORTH IT!! You know, hope is always with you because God is always with you! Hope can not be taken away from you by this world because it is based in the eternal promises of God. And this hope is even better because IT WILL be fulfilled one day because God promised Eternity for his children after this world! All the suffering we deal with here is temporary. its a blink compared to eternity! so even if you suffer from birth until death, its still temporary! So all you have to do is keep up the fight a little while longer and keep hold of God and don't give up, and heaven is yours forever!

But why do we suffer? I know why I have suffered....so I could sit here and tell you that I've been through it all and I'm still here and still faithful, and you can get through this too!

Depression is something we have to just fight, and its REALLY HARD to fight! Depression is telling you to give up, lay down and die. Its telling you to stop doing all those things we love and avoid all those people who care about you. And its feeding lies into our heads and poisoning us. The best thing you can do is fight against it. Keep doing those things you love even if you don't want you. Keep getting out and seeing friends and family. Keep getting up. Keep going. Even if its hard, and even if it takes everything in you, keep going.

When it comes to self harm...I know how hard it is to quit, believe me. The last time I relapsed that feeling that I was going to have to say no and drop it again felt awful. You've never lost the choice to say no. I know when we get lost in addiction we get poisoned into thinking we can't say no, but we never lost the choice to say no. its just become really really really hard to say no. I absolutely believe you can beat this and get through this, and I always will believe in you.

A relapse doesn't take away your amazing progress, don't ever forget that! Relapses are a part of the process, we all fall down along the way. The important part isn't how few or many times your relapse....the important is that you get back up EVERY SINGLE TIME you fall down. You have to get back up each time and keep going.

So yeah, I've been there, you're not alone here! This is a fight you can win, I know it! God knows it too :).

Thanks for answering me. It's been a struggle so many times, and it's only gotten easier in some areas and harder in others. But thank you so much for the encouragement!!! It really helped put a smile on my face tonight. Thank you ^_^
"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2:20 I AM SECOND
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Columbia wrote:Nasty. That's how I view all the sinful behavior listed in this chapter. The list is rather comprehensive. Yet, Paul very simply offsets this intensive power of evil by mentioning salvation and the power of God's word. No matter how much the awful designs of men and demons may bother us, we are secure in the salvation of the Lord and the absolute solid truth of His word. As a bunch of threat swirls around me the Lord has me in His hand. Getting a little grasp on this biblical concept ruined scary movies for me. Things just don't seem that spooky any more. In the mean time, I have demoted myself to sub-laity in my local church. That seems to take the edge off the increasing division between clergy and laity. And when confronted about a Facebook post that the church does not like, it makes it easier to just ask, "Why do want to waste your time on a small fry like me?" By the way, did you notice that unity is not the primary focus in this passage? It is not even on the screen. So if a church that was divided before I came along accuses me of causing division, it's just a joke. No reason to get upset. It does not delete anything from the salvation of the Lord nor from His word. Paul mentions "persecutions" and "impostors" that will plague "those who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus." So I may complain like Job did. But that complaining is foolish for me to do. Been saved for decades and am still growing in Christ. What a miracle! Maybe I won't die as a crusty old dude after all.

Wow I was just thinking about how I haven't gotten to see a great post from you on this chapter and this post shows up :)

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:15 am

Since its gone a little quiet here I'm gonna ramble....because I never stay on topic and just say what I want sometimes anyway lol :P

Just wanted to tell anyone crossing through here before the next chapter goes up that this life is worth living even if you are like me and can't even get those words "I want to live" to come from your lips. Yep its true, I can't say those words. Even on my best days I am still weary of my own struggles that I would rather go home and be freed from this any day God wishes.

But God has a purpose for us here, and if you are still here you aren't done with that task yet. And its a brilliant amazing purpose to bring others to Christ and lift up those already in his arms that are facing darkness and despair. Its a noble task worthy of living here a little while longer even though you face demons and evil forces with every step.

The fight is worth it, trust me. I have fought this fight with my inner demons for many years now, and I've gone through it all to sit here today to tell you this. AND IT WAS ALL WORTH IT TO SIT HERE TELLING YOU THIS NOW!

And for those facing the battle of self harm, I wanted to plug my post for Self Injury Awareness Day that was this past March 1st over at JesusWired.com ...you are the ones that will always have my heart as long as I live here....

So in honor of Self Injury Awareness day I am here to tell you that you are not alone if you self injure. When I see you, I see scars that are matching.

I want to tell you that it’s possible to quit self injuring. The road isn’t easy, buts it’s doable because I am on that path now. If you take my hand and come with me you won’t have to be alone on this journey to quitting self injury. There are many of us here that will be walking beside you.

I want to tell you that relapses are a part of recovery. I’ve relapsed too, and it’s hard and it makes you feel like you are back at square one. You’re not at square one though. All the amazing progress you had before a relapse is still valid and amazing. I’m proud of you! I always will be no matter how many times you relapse.

I want to tell you that I believe in you, and I always will believe in you. I went through this and made it through with God forever at my side just so I could sit here and tell you all this!

You have my heart always, all of you who share these scars with me.

Return to Disciple Bible Study