Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 2

by Kevin Young Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:49 am

This week we will be discussing 2 Timothy Chapter 2. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 2
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:24 pm

20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21 Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.

That part is so confusing because that is not the way I would use that image.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
BLACK KNIGHT

by BLACK KNIGHT Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:19 pm

Hmmm, favorite passage, verse 12 if we endure, we will also reign with him.

Things that challenged me...wow there is a LOT in there! First off, verse 4...how many times do I get caught up in the world's affairs rather than trying to please God? And then from verse 23...that one is especially tough on Facebook! Hahaha.

As for the above post...I was thinking that he's saying that not doing all the common stuff but doing God's will make us more useful to him and essentially make us shine more. The story of Martha and Mary comes to mind where Martha was doing busy work, good stuff like cleaning, but Mary was at Jesus' feet listening to him. Martha got upset about it and Jesus replied that Mary had chosen the better thing. Sometimes we get so busy doing common tasks even if they're good, that we don't take the time to what God really wants us to do and so we don't shine for him like silver and gold as we could. Just my 2 cents, if it makes any sense. ;)
Columbia

by Columbia Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:48 pm

Verse 15 is a phenomenal stand-alone statement. We all want to be approved by God. This verse suggests that we can be approved in the handling of His word. That's what we all try to do on this site. If we are seriously saved, we already have God's general approval. This verse does not suggest that we have need for further approval. This is an approval that we should realize as we present ourselves to God. To be given to irreverent babble is carnality that wars against God. To rightly handle the word of the Lord is a result of the work of the Spirit. Shame is alleviated as we present the word of God in truth.
rollerbladegirl

by rollerbladegirl Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 pm

"But God's truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: 'The Lord KNOWS those who are his..." 2 Timothy 2:19

I really needed to read this verse today. To know that I'm known.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:40 am

rollerbladegirl wrote:"But God's truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: 'The Lord KNOWS those who are his..." 2 Timothy 2:19

I really needed to read this verse today. To know that I'm known.

I felt the same way when I read it :)

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:47 am

Reformation study bible about verses 20,21

"2:20, 21 These verses provide an example from everyday life of the importance of holiness—being set apart for a noble (godly) task."

So yeah seeing that image for setting apart confused me at first because I think of other ways first, like treasure in jays of clay and the church being like a human body and each different parts....and those don't fit this image since its saying to BE the gold and silver articles instead of some of like this and some are a like this.

All the stuff about quarreling is good too. Its really easy to get caught up in that online right now.

Good week to see the athlete/race/victor's crown image again for me personally. I have felt even more out of my mind than I usually am...which I did not think was possible lol.

K.mart13

by K.mart13 Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 pm

2 Timothy: 2. 15. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 16. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. - Bible offline

THESE verses remind me every day that my hope and direction in life comes from Him. Share the hope friends, people around you notice the difference trust me, someone asked at work last week, Why are you so joyful and Happy? Speak light in to darkness. We all know someone chose to with us.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:41 am

5 Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules.

Reformation Study Bible: 2:5, 6 crowned . . . crops. These two analogies add a promise of future reward (vv. 10–12).

1 cor 9:
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

phil 3:
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

hebrews 12:
12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

which means you have to to keep going....EVEN IF IT HURTS TO KEEP GOING!!!!! This race is worth finishing even if you're limping by the end and it takes the last bit of energy you have to cross that finish line.

because it really does hurt to keep going sometimes...sometimes it hurts ALL THE TIME to keep going....and that little path to the side looks REALLY TEMPTING and you think it might MAKE THE PAIN STOP...but it won't make it stop! but those stray trails lead to nowhere good and the road becomes far worse than it appears at first

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:57 pm

I've read this chapter every day this week, and there's so much stuff I love in there. I'm finding something different every time I read it. I've loved reading your posts. I'll write my thoughts once I manage to pick enough pieces of my brain off the floor.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:43 am

4 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

a lot of times I'll be really angry about something I think is going to happen or something someone is doing...just something that has set off one of my stupid triggers like too much change or feeling abandoned or rejected....anyway I will be really angry and be wanting to tell someone off or something....and a lot of times God will either block me so I can't or he'll take care of whatever I am angry about before I can say something

God does that a lot...I guess he's trying to show me I should just wait on him and not go fly off the handle and try to fix it myself when I am angry and not in a good frame of mind. He'll mercifully take care of something that is giving me intense anxiety sometimes too....and its something crazy that he doesn't have to take care of because I'm being stupid and having anxiety about something dumb...but he'll take care of it anyway. I guess just to show me that he is still in control and taking care of everything.

But God’s word is not chained.

I don't know what to say about that, but I like it!!

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:52 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
20 In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21 Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.

That part is so confusing because that is not the way I would use that image.

I compared a few versions of those verses and this one seemed to make the most sense:

Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.
2 Timothy 2:20‭-‬21 ESV

So would you wanna be a chamber pot, or a lampstand? If we live like everyone else, how can we be expected to show people what Christ looks like? We need to be set apart in our actions and our faith in order to do the best work.

Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them.
2 Timothy 2:3‭-‬4 NLT

I met a guy a few months ago who's a chaplain's assistant in the army, and I definitely get this verse so much better after being friends with this guy. I mean, he's got the drive of Captain America, both in regular soldier duties and in pursuing Christ. It's this awesome "I need to push harder and never stop developing" mentality that's sort of contagious. Yes, there are frustrations and doubts, but this guy is so determined to push through them that they barely slow him down. That's the kind of faith Paul had. That's the kind of faith I'm determined to pursue.

So I am willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen.
2 Timothy 2:10 NLT

Something I've been praying for lately is for God to break me. I've spent the last 6 months or so hardening my heart to avoid the possibility of letting people hurt me. But a hardened heart and head knowledge isn't how people come to know Christ. I could probably endure physical beatings and still proclaim the name of Jesus, but physical pain is the easy stuff to work through. I want to be completely wrecked if that's what it takes for people to see Jesus.

Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.
2 Timothy 2:22 NLT

This is one of my all time favorite verses. I've always focused on the first two points more than the last one. But now I'm finally realizing how important a community of Christ-like friends is. Thank you guys for being a part of my community. You inspire me so much.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:39 pm

I already feel like I'm walking around broken most of the time...I would hate to see what would happen if I was broken further. yeah, don't wanna see it....

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:48 am

What do you do when this "not doing enough, not good enough" pit in your chest won't stop bothering you?

I'm actually super busy doing all kinds of stuff both paid work and voluntary, music and non music. Stuff I like and enjoy.

.....but I keep feeling like I'm not doing good enough, like I'm not good enough, like I'm not doing enough, like none of it matters!!!! I don't think there is enough assurance in the world to make it go away....

BLACK KNIGHT

by BLACK KNIGHT Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:38 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:What do you do when this "not doing enough, not good enough" pit in your chest won't stop bothering you?

I'm actually super busy doing all kinds of stuff both paid work and voluntary, music and non music. Stuff I like and enjoy.

.....but I keep feeling like I'm not doing good enough, like I'm not good enough, like I'm not doing enough, like none of it matters!!!! I don't think there is enough assurance in the world to make it go away....

We'll never be good enough this side of heaven, you have to remember it's not about what you do it's about who you know. Ephesians 2:8-9.
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:09 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:What do you do when this "not doing enough, not good enough" pit in your chest won't stop bothering you?

Sheepie, I have two thoughts for you.
"It's not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What's important is that God makes the seed grow." 1Cor 3:7 NLT

Different version puts it this way

"So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." NIV

So that being said... We do what God has called us to do, and then we put our faith in Him to make something work. Even when it doesn't work, He has some kind of weird plan it for some purpose. We have to take the pressure off of ourselves to perform. Our role is to be obedient and act. His role is to perform.

One other thought

"Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and blessed them. Then, breaking the loaves into pieces, he kept giving the bread and fish to the disciples so they could distribute it to the people." Luke 9:16 NLT

Jesus took a boy's "small and tiny offering" and did miracles with it. Again, it was just up to the boy to be obedient and give it. God is the one who does the miracles with our gifts. You are PLENTY ENOUGH. MORE THAN ENOUGH. Your work is not in vain....

"So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up." Galatians 6:9 NLT
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Kevin Young wrote:

"It's not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What's important is that God makes the seed grow." 1Cor 3:7 NLT

"So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." NIV

So that being said... We do what God has called us to do, and then we put our faith in Him to make something work. Even when it doesn't work, He has some kind of weird plan it for some purpose. We have to take the pressure off of ourselves to perform. Our role is to be obedient and act. His role is to perform.

One other thought

"Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and blessed them. Then, breaking the loaves into pieces, he kept giving the bread and fish to the disciples so they could distribute it to the people." Luke 9:16 NLT

Jesus took a boy's "small and tiny offering" and did miracles with it. Again, it was just up to the boy to be obedient and give it. God is the one who does the miracles with our gifts. You are PLENTY ENOUGH. MORE THAN ENOUGH. Your work is not in vain....

"So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up." Galatians 6:9 NLT

thanks

you didn't have to use time answering my crazy question

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Kevin Young wrote:

One other thought

thanks

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:58 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
Kevin Young wrote:

One other thought

thanks

Courtney Courtney Courtney! Guess what!

We love you. We love your crazy. We love you even when you doubt yourself. You're enough for God.
-Sam

Return to Disciple Bible Study