Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Kevin Young Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:41 am

This week we will be discussing 2 Timothy Chapter 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Kevin Young
Bouncer

Re: 2 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Kevin Young Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:16 am

2 Timothy seems to have been written shortly before Paul's death. So this is a glimpse of the "last written words" of Paul. Which is pretty cool considering how much he wrote.

5I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you. 6This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. 7For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
8So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord.
The verse "God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity" is directly related to sharing our faith. Paul is encouraging Timothy... telling him to continue to share his faith, and "fan into flames the spiritual gift" of God. "So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord." This is a great verse for all of us. Sharing our faith can be terrifying. Sometimes when we share our faith we get nervous and our heart rate shoots through the roof... and honestly we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to say the right thing or we might miss "the chance" to bring someone to Christ or give them the words they needed to hear in that moment. Here is a verse that helped me get over my fear of sharing my faith with people.
I (Paul) planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow. It's not important who does the planting, or who does the watering. What's important is that God makes the seed grow. (1 Corinthians 3:6-7 NLT)
This verse takes so much pressure off of us when sharing our faith. It is our job to plant the seed of faith in people's hearts. But it is God's job to make it grow. So it really doesn't matter how well we present the gospel (although we should take it very seriously, but should not be over-anxious and fearful)... the seed is the seed. And once it's planted, it is in the hands of God. Another verse is this one
For no one can come to me (Jesus) unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and at the last day I will raise them up.
So I am not winning anyone to Christ unless the Father was drawing them in. This takes the pressure off of us in producing results and instead leaves us with the mandate to simply obey and share our faith with boldness.

So we must be ready to share our faith. We need to fan into flames the spiritual gift that God has given us, and not concern ourself with results. God is the one who brings the results. We are the farmers. AND GOD CONTROLS THE WEATHER. So be bold. Casting fear aside, we share our faith with POWER, LOVE, AND SELF-DISCIPLINE.

9For God saved us and called us to live a holy life. He did this, not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan from before the beginning of time—to show us his grace through Christ Jesus.
In the age of grace, God still calls us to holiness. We focus a lot on being free from the law. Our selfish nature would have us believe "then it's ok to sin all we want because there is grace." But our spiritual nature and unselfish LOVE for God tells us "He saved us so that we could live HOLY LIVES that would bring Him glory." So we should strive for holiness.

10And now he has made all of this plain to us by the appearing of Christ Jesus, our Savior. He broke the power of death and illuminated the way to life and immortality through the Good News.
This gives me so much hope after just losing my best friend to cancer. Jesus broke the power the of death and has presented us with LIFE AND IMMORTALITY. This is literally lifting the weight of my sorrows right now... knowing there is life after death through Jesus Christ

God bless you guys
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Jess

by Jess Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 am

I don't attend church but do believe in God and Jesus. But after being in such a strict religion I couldn't take it anymore. Church scares me and I I struggle with vs 13 “What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭1:13 NIV
I just I don't understand that if we should following Paul's teaching why does everybody fight or disagree about what's true? So many denominations how do you know what truth and what's not? I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am

I love verse 7 too. I know I've gotten way bolder sharing my testimony and talking about Jesus. I feel that strength when I get going on a thought I know he wants me to share...I feel that fire.

I still get a little nervous sometimes though because I just feel like the lowest of sinners who deserves nothing but pain and death...I feel unworthy to talk about Jesus sometimes. Sharing the inner workings of addiction and mental illness is tough, but I want that out there and I want to be able to bring it back to Jesus too. I like to have the ups and downs in my posts...so people can see my lowest and how I do come back up every time.

I get way nervous messaging people still...you would think after 600+ PMs I wouldn't, but I still do lol. You don't have to cram verses down people's throats right off the bat when you don't even know their beliefs. God told me to just speak love and hope because he is love and hope...so if I spoke of love and hope he would be there even if I didn't say the word God.

Anyway, so yeah I've felt that spirit of power and boldness for sure.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Jess wrote:I don't attend church but do believe in God and Jesus. But after being in such a strict religion I couldn't take it anymore. Church scares me and I I struggle with vs 13 “What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.”
I just I don't understand that if we should following Paul's teaching why does everybody fight or disagree about what's true? So many denominations how do you know what truth and what's not? I'm not sure if that makes sense or not.

I have struggled with church a lot personally so you are not alone for sure. For me, I just don't fit it and what I'm working on for the kingdom just doesn't fit there that well. Don't give up on it though. We're all imperfect and so is everyone in the church. There is some corrupt people, but most of them are good and incredible ppl.

Some people just take what they want from scriptures sometimes instead of the truth. They cherry pick and do the buffet Christianty to make it fit what they want instead of what God wants. So not everyone is accepting the entire complete truth written here.

Jules68

by Jules68 Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm

My favorite verses from this chapter are 2 Timothy 1:9-10.
It is hard to wrap my head around the fact that grace is given freely, but I have felt the power of grace in my own life and intend to show others the grace of God. Sometimes witnessing comes from others observing how you live your life.
brittvs

by brittvs Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:36 pm

This weekend I was just learning more in-depth about Paul and his background. It's crazy to think that this guy used to be completely feared; a murderer, a man of power and feared by many (when he used to be Saul). Then he heard the Lord and had a huge heart transplant - to go on to a be a guy that wrote most of the New Testament! So awesome to see this because for many who may not feel worthy of God or what Jesus did for us, look at Paul! Talk about a transformation!

My favorite passage is verse 7 "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

This I knew but it wasn't truly until 2016 that I started living that way. 2016 was a year I faced a lot of fears, from flying to meeting my biological mother. It's amazing what God can do in your life if you give Him the chance to work in it. Step out in faith. When you are trying to make decisions in life ask yourself, "Am I doing this out of fear?"
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:28 am

9 He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

Love these kind of verses because my deep rooted perfectionism that can never be fulfilled means that I will never ever feel good enough. These verses are comforting for someone like me who suffers from what I call "perfect or failure".

10 but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

Yeah I appreciate the destroyed death a lot too after losing my grandfather last year which left both those grandparents gone from this world now. Its still weird...I was in town and we drove near their old neighborhood...except its not their neighborhood or their house anymore. I heard "american pie" by Don McLean yesterday and that song always make me cry...some of the most amazing lyrics ever written. And what its really about always makes me cry...and then on top of that I thought about my grandparents and that big piece of my life gone now. So I was sobbing at work listening to it lol, luckily no one was around.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:02 am

12 That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.

"he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him"

That sticks out to me...probably because trusting is not something i do easily. If my germaphobe-ness is acting up really bad I don't trust people with any of my stuff or my food...I don't want them to touch it because i don't trust their hands. I was at the grocery store and the cashier sat there and sneezed INTO HER HANDS and then rang up people's stuff.....this is why Courtney has trust issues lol.

And anxiety feels like part of me doesn't trust God with my life...which IS SOMETHING entrusted to him that YOU CAN trust him with!! he's the only one you can 100% trust your life with because he in the only one 100% in charge with 100% of the power. Even your family something out of control could happen and they can't totally protect you.

And you can entrust a shattered heart or broken spirit to him because he's the only one that can make you feel whole again even if its not willed for you to be healed in this life of that suffering.

Anyway, you guys sure let me ramble on a lot these days over here lol

Beanie19

by Beanie19 Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Hey guys. It has been a while since I have participated in the Bible study here so I am really excited to get back into the Bible and talk about God's word with everyone.
A verse that stood out to me was verse 7. The footnotes in my Bible point out that here spirit is probably referring to the Holy Spirit. We have been empowered by the Holy Spirit who is not of fear but of power, love, and self control. It is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that we are able to speak boldly about what God has done for us. This is a really good thing because alone I have no idea what to say or do.
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:25 am

For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1:7 NIV

As most of you stated, this verse is about sharing our faith. But I also find it to be a comforting verse in the midst of anxiety. I've been seriously struggling over the past few months; the reminder that the Holy Spirit has given me power makes it a little bit easier to deal with.

He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,
2 Timothy 1:9 NIV

This. Oh my gosh... Sometimes I feel like my brain shuts off after "He has saved us". I try to set myself apart and live a holy life, but I forget that human efforts will always fail. And when I inevitably fail, I beat myself up and tell myself that I don't deserve grace. Which is kind of the point, but it always takes me forever to realize that.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:22 am

brittvs wrote:This weekend I was just learning more in-depth about Paul and his background. It's crazy to think that this guy used to be completely feared; a murderer, a man of power and feared by many (when he used to be Saul). Then he heard the Lord and had a huge heart transplant - to go on to a be a guy that wrote most of the New Testament! So awesome to see this because for many who may not feel worthy of God or what Jesus did for us, look at Paul! Talk about a transformation!

My favorite passage is verse 7 "for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

This I knew but it wasn't truly until 2016 that I started living that way. 2016 was a year I faced a lot of fears, from flying to meeting my biological mother. It's amazing what God can do in your life if you give Him the chance to work in it. Step out in faith. When you are trying to make decisions in life ask yourself, "Am I doing this out of fear?"

Jules68 wrote:My favorite verses from this chapter are 2 Timothy 1:9-10.
It is hard to wrap my head around the fact that grace is given freely, but I have felt the power of grace in my own life and intend to show others the grace of God. Sometimes witnessing comes from others observing how you live your life.

Welcome to the bible study! :)

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:22 am

Beanie19 wrote:Hey guys. It has been a while since I have participated in the Bible study here so I am really excited to get back into the Bible and talk about God's word with everyone.
A verse that stood out to me was verse 7. The footnotes in my Bible point out that here spirit is probably referring to the Holy Spirit. We have been empowered by the Holy Spirit who is not of fear but of power, love, and self control. It is only through the power of the Holy Spirit that we are able to speak boldly about what God has done for us. This is a really good thing because alone I have no idea what to say or do.

Welcome back!

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:24 am

sassy1506 wrote:
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
2 Timothy 1:7 NIV

As most of you stated, this verse is about sharing our faith. But I also find it to be a comforting verse in the midst of anxiety. I've been seriously struggling over the past few months; the reminder that the Holy Spirit has given me power makes it a little bit easier to deal with.

He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,
2 Timothy 1:9 NIV

This. Oh my gosh... Sometimes I feel like my brain shuts off after "He has saved us". I try to set myself apart and live a holy life, but I forget that human efforts will always fail. And when I inevitably fail, I beat myself up and tell myself that I don't deserve grace. Which is kind of the point, but it always takes me forever to realize that.

I'm not sure if that verse is one of the first ones I think of for anxiety, I'm going to have to remember that.
Last edited by ECCENTRICSHEEP on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 am

Sorry for the spam lol.

I've been thinking a lot about the holes you leave in yourself when you dive into addiction...or as I call my holes my trenches since I dug so deep into my soul looking to fill something that was already filled. I know a lot of people struggle with feeling a hole that isn't there so I figure its worth talking about.

At least I know that God can fill that even though inward thoughts and evil forces are always at work to convince me otherwise....

I was super busy this week with all kinds of stuff that was new to learn and actually really cool to learn and do. It kind of fried my brain doing so much at once even though I love it lol. Like at work I was doing all sorts of new stuff, and some of it reminded me of the chemistry labs I failed in college so I was like "I finally got it!" XD. And learning new stuff for Jesuswired has been great and really fulfilling and something in a totally different field which is cool. And then of course I try to squeeze in a little outreach work and study on here.

Once you start digging holes in yourself with addiction though...those holes don't go away. Sometimes though I think its evil poking at those holes more than anything trying to remind me that they are still there. I was struggling with these thoughts yesterday saying "this is all background work no one cares about...you are wasting your time with all of this no one cares about any of this."...and that familiar voice that once got me to fall away into old addictions spoke again....it said "YOU ARE STILL EMPTY!!!" over and over it said "look, you are still empty none of this matters, and you still don't matter"

Oh I know that voice now, and it won't get me to fall again...but its still hard trying to get through it without believing it. It knows it can wear me down a little if it keeps saying that over and over..."you are still empty".....

Its not really about trying to fill those holes in, because you can't...if you try to you will only dig them deeper. Its more about accepting they are there for now while you are here and earth, and having faith that God will remove them in eternity if you hold to your faith and keep fighting and keep going. God's hand is the only thing that can fill that hole in, but even then we will always fight to have faith that his hand is filling in those holes...and evil forces will always be at work poking at those holes and reminding us of them until the day we die.

Columbia

by Columbia Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:59 am

Jess wrote:I don't attend church but do believe in God and Jesus. But after being in such a strict religion I couldn't take it anymore. Church scares me and I I struggle with vs 13 “What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.”

Hi Jess: My name is Jerry. I really understand your frustration. My wife and I are are active attendees at a Bible preaching church but I have to brace myself every time we walk into an activity. Church can be a hostile environment if you don't fit an exact mold. Unfortunately, that characterizes churches that sincerely want to submit to God and to honor the Bible as His absolute authoritative writing. And, whether or not they are successful at it, they try to provide a place of united assembly for God's people. The important thing is where I am in my relationship with Christ. I once accepted the facts of the Bible about the Lord but was confronted with the fact that I did not truly believe in Him! The Bible really came alive for me after turning myself over to Christ. Churches have actually caused more problems for me than have helped me but, hey, it's not about me. It's not about church people. It's about the Lord. Over time, I have become saturated with the Bible by personal reading and study. That's what I would like to recommend that you continue to do. Shut out the bias of people who think they know it all and let God be your teacher. No one else can help you with this. This will take patience as you develop strong beliefs from God's word. You don't have to argue. You don't have to agree with things you don't understand. But you can associate with fellow Christians who actually care about you. Not many caring Christians around these days but I have found it is good to associate with God's annoying people. My heart goes out for you. I pray that the Lord will personally minister to you in a mighty way and be glorified through your life.
Columbia

by Columbia Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Biblical women of God are often disregarded. Yet the Bible is filled with exemplary ladies. I've already expressed my best interpretation of the role of women in the church. That does not minimize the outstanding importance of women of God. Timothy was obviously a Christian because of the influences of his mother and his grandmother. Paul mentions them with regard that is a progressive notch above his reference to Timothy's faith. Paul is finally convinced that Timothy's faith measures up to the faith of these two ladies whom he has known longer than he has known Timothy. I always remember my godly grandmother when I read this passage. She was a strong woman. Recently, ladies of my grandmother's caliber are referred to as "fierce women." There is no indication that the ladies in this passage can be classified this way. However Timothy's mom, Eunice, was married to a Gentile. Possibly a Gentile who was not a believer. That makes a Christian lady tough. Being a tough woman does not remove the possibility of her being a submissive woman. My grandmother was saved at the same time as my grandfather. Yet a very hard life made her tough as nails with a beautiful loving heart inside. She taught me to fish. She made me work my tail off when I stayed at grandma's and grandpa's farm. Yet she was all lady. And my grandfather was all man. Timothy was blessed to have the influence of ladies like my grandmother in his life. He was blessed to have a man like Paul take him under his wing and treat him like a son. I hope you all will excuse me for diverting a bit from direct biblical interpretation. It is just that the memory of my grandmother always comes back powerfully when I read Paul's comment about these two dear ladies.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:58 am

I shamelessly divert to completely off topic rambles every week so you're probably fine :)

meanwhile if I think about my grandparents anymore than I am now I will probably cry...

Xformat

by Xformat Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 am

Hello gang,

Great thread you have going here. I'd like to add nothing less than this....2 Timothy completely transformed my understanding of scriptures, making many things incredibly clear for me. In fact, this amazing book gave me the shocking ability to see what is happening to us all and by us all. We love to hurt each other and the effect, in the case of we Christians, are the potentially lost souls in the Church of Ephesus. Timothy has completely fallen back worse than Peter and Barnabas had in Galatians, Chapter 2.

Isn't it compelling that Paul teaches us that even while in prison, he could still look out for and help others?! If Paul could do this from prison, what is our excuse for not assisting the emotional developments of our fellow believers? It's sad to walk into a church and essentially see a sea of cattle, milling in, around and quickly out when the service is over. Are we looking out for each other? Are we really, truly helping the weak? I we identifying the insecure behavior in others and running to their emotional aid? Or, are we recognizing the behavior and crediting the person with insufficiency and criticism? If so, Paul shows us his greatest and best way of dealing with insecurity. Deal with the mind and pay little attention to the behavior. Our behavior is the proof of what we believe, so it only makes sense that we are to focus on the emotional security of others and when we've got others on this elevated emotional plane, their behavior follows. We're backwards in our thinking, and we have been since Paul died.

In Paul's finest letter, we see growth. We see further maturity. We see a man that knows how to reach another who is feeling "timid". Let's be honest, Timothy was flat out afraid for his life. Paul was ridiculously placed in prison, Christians were dying and the two renegade teachers in the church were causing the problems. What's at stake? The souls that have yet placed their faith in Christ, and where is Timothy? He's collapsed emotionally. But wait! I thought that confidence comes from the Lord? Well, apparently God wasn't in the business of zapping young Timothy into emotional gear. (Confidence is not listed as a Spiritual Gift in 1 Corinthians.) Instead, God sends a human being....God sends Paul to Timothy's aid, and from Prison of all places. Shouldn't it have been the other way around? Nonetheless, Paul is gentle and hardly even addresses the unreal thing that Timothy has done. Ask yourself what's worse? Leaving lost souls at the hands of two renegade teachers or the rape of a little boy? Unsaved souls are always the bigger travesty....those in heaven whom have been raped will swiftly agree. So what Paul moves on to complete over these four amazing chapters is his latest art of knowing how to restore a person from a weak and frightened place of heart and mind. In fear, we shut down in so many ways, thus fear is our personal enemy and wow, does Satan ever love it! Paul shows us how to abolish it.

There are reasons for why Paul wrote what he wrote, or did Timothy really forget the names of his mother and grandmother? No, Paul was "reeling Timothy in", so to speak, and he does this throughout the entire book. I was afraid for the first 48 years of my life until I discovered why. I had no "Paul" in my life. No one was looking our for me, helping, guiding and even allowing me to fail without criticism. Here, we see what love really is. It's is the ability to overlook the incredible yet still know how to gently love and instruct. We must stop harping on each other. If Paul does not lay into Timothy for what he has done, then we ought to get off the backs of those that are simply imperfect and utterly unable to be. No one is perfect, therefore, we must build each other up instead of tearing each other down. And this is particularly difficult in our homes with our wives, husbands and children. It is difficult, but it is of utmost importance that we follow this amazing example that Paul lays before us and apply it to our families. Building others up is what builds confidence in others. And in the case of Timothy, confidence came from Paul. It certainly wasn't coming from the Spirit that was indwelling him, for Paul told Timothy to "fan into flames" the Spirit. Note that the Spirit of God was not causing Timothy to be confident, no, confidence comes from men and women like ourselves as we go out into the world, prepared to complete all good work. Sound familiar? We've got to help one another, for our God is not in the business of zapping us out like a cookie cutter. Galatians and the Corinthians prove that we've got to grow, mature, develop and change. Change from what? To one who is strong, can endure/persevere to the very end. We cannot win the race if we do not follow the rules, and 17 times Paul asks us to model ourselves after him....and if we were to do just that, that will be when we understand what he meant when he talked about being transformed by the renewing of our minds in Romans 12.

2 Timothy, the most looked-over and misunderstood book in the New Testament.
Confidence: the overarching, systematic way of perceiving one's self,
the world and everything in it.
Return to Disciple Bible Study