Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 6

by Kevin Young Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:38 am

This week we will be discussing 1 Timothy Chapter 6. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 6
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 6

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 am

I just had to talk about the week we studied Phil 4 for my column since I learned so much from it, so Kevin and this bible study get a mention in my column this month. Link is down there in my signature.

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

If you have the entire world with all its riches and pleasures but not God...you have nothing. If you are poor without a penny or possession to your name and you have God...YOU HAVE EVERYTHING!!

So don't worry about gaining large amounts of nothing when you already have everything.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
dawntreader

by dawntreader Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:14 am

:)
dawntreader

by dawntreader Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am

Teach and urge these things. 3 If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4 he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing.

We cannot understand His word on our own. We need the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to us.
All knowledge is hidden in Christ. All knowledge begins with Him! There is no knowledge without Him!

2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Colossians 2: 2 & 3
Ellizz

by Ellizz Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:52 am

I really like that this chapter gives clarity about our job as servants of God.
I get lost so often in study, work and all other things from this world, but as I read this chapter, I became calm and now know again what the most important thing is:

1 Timothy 6:11 - But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

Thanks for sharing this Bible study!
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 am

All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare[a] of their slaves.

No one gets out of responsibility because in verses like these Paul says something for everyone to do...there is no "oh but you're a victim so you get out of doing this". Nope, even slaves were told something here. There is no amount of suffering or victimizing that gets you out of serving the Kingdom of God...because its actually in that suffering that you should be all the more stronger for the Kingdom of God.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:23 pm

All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered.

This goes for everyone under an authority figure. Honestly, my first boss put me in some uncomfortable positions and expected me to work insane hours for a 16-year-old still in school. But I still did everything she asked me to the best of my ability. Sometimes authority sucks, but if you don't have frustrating leaders, you won't be able to appreciate the good ones for what they are.

9 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

I've definitely made my jokes about marrying a rich old guy and then killing him off for his life insurance money, but I'd never actually do it... I can't even let someone pay for a movie ticket or lunch without feeling terrible...

I feel like my generation seems to revolve around money way too much. Obviously, that's kind of an important thing when everything costs something. But when I see my friends blowing their entire paychecks on a shopping spree for clothes they don't need, then complaining about how they don't have the money to pay for necessities, it drives me insane. I think if more people started learning proper money management and kept up with a regular budget, we'd have a lot less people caring so much about always having a paycheck to spend.

Or maybe I'm just a nerd...

11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Yes.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:14 am

I've always thought those verses could be used with work relationships to a degree. Mostly because if you feel too much like a slave/master relationship with your boss maybe you should look for another job because they don't sound like a good boss lol. But the general every day doing stuff for your boss and sometimes personalities clash and don't get along works for it.

12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

I love that 'fight the good fight' because it is seriously a fight, but it is definitely a good fight and one worth continuing always. The fight is keep hope is a difficult one for sure. Because evil never gives up and they are always launching an attack or preparing for their next move.

I know evil for sure does not like me here and as a part of the Disciple Alliance because he is always trying to convince here that everyone here hates me and they don't actually want me here and that I should just give up and leave. Thankfully God gives me more assurances than my insecure heart deserves.

Eternal life is the only thing you can take hold of and it won't fall through your fingers like sand when the temporary things of this life fail you, so take hold and never let go. Keep up the fight today and never give up.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:48 am

dawntreader wrote:Teach and urge these things. 3 If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, 4 he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing.

We cannot understand His word on our own. We need the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth to us.
All knowledge is hidden in Christ. All knowledge begins with Him! There is no knowledge without Him!

2 that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, to reach all the riches of full assurance of understanding and the knowledge of God's mystery, which is Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Colossians 2: 2 & 3

Ellizz wrote:I really like that this chapter gives clarity about our job as servants of God.
I get lost so often in study, work and all other things from this world, but as I read this chapter, I became calm and now know again what the most important thing is:

1 Timothy 6:11 - But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

Thanks for sharing this Bible study!

Welcome to the bible study! :)

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:56 am

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

I think the main purpose of money being brought into this world is as a means for us to be generous. I think we were given money so we could give it away. Not to be ruled by or survive on...because we live and survive because of God and it is he who tends to our needs, not money. He gives it to us to give away...because money means nothing to God he can give you all them money you need or want if he wills it. Although I think you are better off if he gives you a little instead of a lot as to avoid the temptation and greed of money.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:46 am

Here you go, so you don't have to listen to my rambles anymore :P

Reformation Study Bible:

6:1, 2
Finally, Paul addresses the problem of slaves who have not been showing proper respect for their Christian masters.

"the teaching".
Presumably this is in contrast to the false teaching, which may have encouraged insubordination among some of the Christian slaves.

((interesting since there is certain groups these days that just flat out encourage chaos and unrest and rioting and all that disrespectful behavior some people have been doing when they don't get their way...like tearing up businesses as they protest...no riot since its disrespectful and not peaceful....in the streets....I'm really sick of this throwing a fit when we don't get our way mentality going on....))

6:3–10
Paul returns one last time to the problem of the false teachers, noting especially their divisiveness and their greed. This leads him to reflect upon the proper perspective one should have on material possessions.

((still no much divisiveness going on these days....Jesus is the only one that brings people together...so many out there talk about uniting yet all they do is divide people...))

6:4 controversy and for quarrels about words.
Contentiousness was one of the prominent characteristics of the false teachers (1:4; 2 Tim. 2:14, 23; Titus 3:9).

6:5 a means of gain.
Perhaps some of the false teachers were seeking the position of elder out of greed (v. 10; Titus 1:11).

6:6 contentment.
Christians can be content because their needs are met by Christ (2 Cor. 12:9, 10; Phil. 4:11, 13).

6:11–16
As he has done previously, Paul follows his comments about the false teachers with personal exhortations to Timothy, concluding with a marvelous doxology.

6:12 Fight the good fight of the faith.
A metaphor for the Christian life viewed in terms of faithfulness to Christ (2 Tim. 4:7).

"Take hold of the eternal life."
That is, do not become complacent. While faith in Christ begins new life (4:8), the goal of the Christian life is always future (v. 19; 1:16 note; Phil. 3:12; 2 Tim. 4:8).

"to which you were called."
Eternal life is not something we naturally choose, but something to which God supernaturally calls us (Rom. 8:30).

"good confession in the presence of many witnesses."
This probably refers to Timothy’s baptism. The “good confession” that one has come to faith in Christ leads naturally into the “good fight” of seeking to live in faithfulness to Him.

6:13 before Pontius Pilate made the good confession.
This may refer to Jesus’ trial before Pilate (Matt. 27:11; Mark 15:2; Luke 23:3; John 18:33–37; 19:8–11), but is more likely an allusion to His death.

6:17–19
Having condemned the love of money and affirmed the future orientation of Christian hope, Paul provides an exhortation for those who do find themselves rich in this world (presumably not from greed).

6:20, 21
Paul brings the letter to a close with one final charge to Timothy, once again set within the context of dealing with the false teachers.

what is falsely called “knowledge.”
The false teachers emphasize “knowledge” (Greek gnosis, from which the word Gnosticism is derived; see Introduction to 2 Timothy: Interpretive Difficulties).

6:21 Grace be with you.
This abrupt conclusion, lacking Paul’s usual personal greetings, suggests that Paul saw the situation he was addressing to be quite serious. Some of the earliest Greek manuscripts have the plural form of “you” (as in 2 Tim. 4:22; Titus 3:15) in this benediction, suggesting that Paul intended for the letter to be read to the entire church.

Columbia

by Columbia Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Had a rough week and accidentally looked at 1 Thessalonians 6. :D Now I have to do laundry before I pick my wife up from work. We both work so am trying to be some help to her. Have been joining some guys in a study that relates to a passage in this chapter. So will check in later. :cool:
Columbia

by Columbia Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Whew! My one day off each week is Sunday. Between church, buying groceries, and football; I put up this post that will probably not be read. In a recent men's Bible study we discussed false prophets and false teachers from 2 Peter 2. Guess I kind of ruined things by convincing the guys that the text was not exclusively talking about nonbelievers. That, in fact, any of us have the capacity to become false prophets and false teachers in a variety of extremes. That all are candidates for restoration. That the example of angels in hell did not directly state that the harsh consequences for being false would always end in the false prophet/teacher going to hell. The conclusion? An agreement was made that we are to follow Christ instead of each other. So I will go to a couple of "buts" in this chapter: "But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content, ...." Contentment is a godly value. After all, everything belongs to God. He allows us to use and to manage a portion of His stuff. The less I have to manage, the less headaches I have. The more I have to manage, the more I have to enjoy. It seems possible to have godliness without contentment but then godliness would not be complete. The TV throws all kinds of stuff at us that we "need." "Food and clothing." That's all we need.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Columbia wrote:Whew! My one day off each week is Sunday. Between church, buying groceries, and football; I put up this post that will probably not be read. In a recent men's Bible study we discussed false prophets and false teachers from 2 Peter 2. Guess I kind of ruined things by convincing the guys that the text was not exclusively talking about nonbelievers. That, in fact, any of us have the capacity to become false prophets and false teachers in a variety of extremes. That all are candidates for restoration. That the example of angels in hell did not directly state that the harsh consequences for being false would always end in the false prophet/teacher going to hell. The conclusion? An agreement was made that we are to follow Christ instead of each other. So I will go to a couple of "buts" in this chapter: "But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content, ...." Contentment is a godly value. After all, everything belongs to God. He allows us to use and to manage a portion of His stuff. The less I have to manage, the less headaches I have. The more I have to manage, the more I have to enjoy. It seems possible to have godliness without contentment but then godliness would not be complete. The TV throws all kinds of stuff at us that we "need." "Food and clothing." That's all we need.

Your theory about this not being read is incorrect since I have in fact just read it :P

Columbia

by Columbia Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:04 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
Columbia wrote:Whew! My one day off each week is Sunday. Between church, buying groceries, and football; I put up this post that will probably not be read. In a recent men's Bible study we discussed false prophets and false teachers from 2 Peter 2. Guess I kind of ruined things by convincing the guys that the text was not exclusively talking about nonbelievers. That, in fact, any of us have the capacity to become false prophets and false teachers in a variety of extremes. That all are candidates for restoration. That the example of angels in hell did not directly state that the harsh consequences for being false would always end in the false prophet/teacher going to hell. The conclusion? An agreement was made that we are to follow Christ instead of each other. So I will go to a couple of "buts" in this chapter: "But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content, ...." Contentment is a godly value. After all, everything belongs to God. He allows us to use and to manage a portion of His stuff. The less I have to manage, the less headaches I have. The more I have to manage, the more I have to enjoy. It seems possible to have godliness without contentment but then godliness would not be complete. The TV throws all kinds of stuff at us that we "need." "Food and clothing." That's all we need.

Your theory about this not being read is incorrect since I have in fact just read it :P

:p :p :p :p
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am

I posted a big long post for this chapter... and now as I go back to read over everyone's comments, it is no longer here. I found half of it, where I had saved it for some reason. So.... here it is

1All slaves should show full respect for their masters so they will not bring shame on the name of God and his teaching. 2If the masters are believers, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. Those slaves should work all the harder because their efforts are helping other believers who are well loved.

I just looked up a lot of the verses in the Bible on slavery. The Bible never explicitly challenges slavery... but does make mention that masters setting their slaves free is good "because it is the right thing for you to do" in Philemon 1:8. I personally think that slavery is the worst kind of evil... even worse than genocide. The Bible often compares sin ruling our lives like a master/slave relationship, like in John 8:34 "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin." And Jesus also seems very intent on setting us free from slavery in the following verses. "A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free." So while it doesn't seem that the Bible challenges slavery, it is very clear that Jesus death on the cross is the pathway to our ultimate freedom from slavery to sin.

A practical way for us to look at this verse would be to change the word slave to employee, and change the word master to employer. God is very clear about authority. And this verse definitely applies to us in matters of how we should respond to those that are in authority over us.

6Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. 7After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. 8So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
9But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
LET US BE CONTENT.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
bandmonkey08

by bandmonkey08 Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Kevin Young wrote:
6Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. 7After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. 8So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
9But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
LET US BE CONTENT.

just gonna go hide in my conviction corner.
dang.
~Liz

"i choose to be alive
especially because the
odds say i should die"
-lacey sturm

We are the Alliance:
http://www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Contentment is hard. It might even feel impossible if you've screwed your brain up from rewiring it to find it in all the wrong places. I'm trying to just find contentment that those trenches I've dug in myself are just gonna be there while I remain here ...and try to just ignore those calls to dig the trenches deeper.

Sometimes when I hesr those little voices I call out in the darkness...to either myself or whoever is there trying to pull me away...I ask "what WILL make you content? What will end this? What will end these feelings of worthlessness? What will make you feel valid?"

....and I never get an answer, I don't think there is an answer...

Return to Disciple Bible Study