Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 5

by Kevin Young Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:19 am

This week we will be discussing 1 Timothy Chapter 5. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 5
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Kevin Young
Bouncer

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 5

by Kevin Young Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:34 am

So cranking back up into 1 Timothy, we first have to remember that Paul is writing to Timothy here... as a Pastor to Pastor. So he is giving him Pastoral advice in all kinds of matters that will come up in church. One of the big topics in this chapter is "widows."

James 1:27 says
"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."
Now in our modern Christianity, our religion is dominantly focused on ourselves. Not so in the early church. The early church served in the role of helping those who were in need. This role has been virtually stripped from the church because of modern government. If someone needs help with groceries or medical expenses, they will first turn to the government for help in our modern society. Thus, leaving the church with the mindset that it is no longer our responsibility to help those in need. But government intervention or not, IT IS the church's responsibility to care for widows, orphans, and the the less fortunate. You can see how important it was for a Pastor to know how to handle these situations here in chapter 5.

3-4 "3Take care of any widow who has no one else to care for her. 4But if she has children or grandchildren, their first responsibility is to show godliness at home and repay their parents by taking care of them. This is something that pleases God."

This is something that is very relevant to us "children." In God's eyes, it is our responsibility to take care of our parents when they can no longer take care of themselves. God even sees this as "repayment" for them taking care of us when we were kids.

"8But those who won’t care for their relatives, especially those in their own household, have denied the true faith. Such people are worse than unbelievers."

9A widow who is put on the list for support must be a woman who is at least sixty years old and was faithful to her husband. 10She must be well respected by everyone because of the good she has done. Has she brought up her children well? Has she been kind to strangers and served other believers humbly? Has she helped those who are in trouble? Has she always been ready to do good?
I found this to be so interesting. I do not mean to "bad mouth" the current church (because I love the church, flaws and all) .... but I thought it was so awesome that there was a LIST. They were so intentional about helping the widows of their community that there was a list.

Now we can also see that this was a financial burden to them, because they were asking relatives to take care of the widows so they wouldn't have to. And if there was an immoral widow that she should be excluded from the list. But again, this letter is a Pastor talking to a Pastor about how a church should function. Even though immoral widows were to be excluded from the church list, I don't think this means that we should exclude them from OUR list. Jesus set this example many times by showing favor and kindness to the worst of sinners... and we should do the same.

Question: What widows or orphans are in your family, or within your realm of influence that you think God is calling you to care for?

11The younger widows should not be on the list, because their physical desires will overpower their devotion to Christ and they will want to remarry. 12Then they would be guilty of breaking their previous pledge. 13And if they are on the list, they will learn to be lazy and will spend their time gossiping from house to house, meddling in other people’s business and talking about things they shouldn’t. 14So I advise these younger widows to marry again, have children, and take care of their own homes. Then the enemy will not be able to say anything against them.
I found this comment to be very enlightening. Paul distinguishes the younger widow saying she is not "truly alone" and will more than likely want to remarry. If they are put on the list "they will learn to be lazy." I think the same is true today, we become lazy when there is no need to provide for ourselves. But the opposite is also very true. When you and your family are hungry, you will work.. even the humblest of jobs. I know this very well in Disciple. We only get paid when we are working. And we do not work all year long. Around this time of year, we always take off from playing shows which means no money is coming in. And if we have not been diligent in saving and "preparing for the winter" we will have to go find work. I have done all kinds of jobs during this time - UPS driver helper, State Of Kentucky OSHA attorney's assistant, bailed hay for cash, factory worker, roofing, pizza restaurant, sandwich maker, exercise equipment store, Christian bookstore, pizza delivery..... you name it I have more than likely done it. But if someone was taking care of me, I would have never worked any of those jobs. When we are able to work but someone else takes care of us, we will "learn to be lazy."

20Those who sin should be reprimanded in front of the whole church; this will serve as a strong warning to others.
Yikes!!! Well, I guess I'm' glad that the modern church is not exactly like the early church. Sheesh!!! Even though I have experienced this too. Long story so I won't go into all the details, but I used to be the worship pastor of my church in my early 20's and did something wrong and embarrassing that became very public. And I did have to go in front of the church and ask for forgiveness. Whew! So.... maybe that is a good thing. But I still have a bunch of sins that I would not want to stand in front of the whole church for..... so..... I'm not lobbying for that change any time soon ;)

23Don’t drink only water. You ought to drink a little wine for the sake of your stomach because you are sick so often.
A lot of people love to use this verse to say that it is ok to drink alcohol. While I have an opinion on the subject, I don't think this verse applies to the debate. Paul is clearly writing a prescription for a stomach ailment, and not saying "have some wine in your spare time cause you like it."

24Remember, the sins of some people are obvious, leading them to certain judgment. But there are others whose sins will not be revealed until later. 25In the same way, the good deeds of some people are obvious. And the good deeds done in secret will someday come to light.
I love this verse. It basically says "one day the truth will come out." That's why it is so imperative that our faith in Jesus for our righteousness is part of our everyday lives. If we are hoping our righteousness will somehow vindicate us in the end, we will be disappointed. But our hope is not in our own deeds. Our hope is not in what we have done well or not well. Our hope is in what He has done. And He will present us blameless because of what He has done. We can't keep ourselves from falling away, but He can.

Jude 1:24 Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:51 pm

I've had experience seeing people not take care of their aging parents in recent years. Yes it can be a hard task especially if they have health needs building up too. I love that repaying part, because you really are. You even can do a lot of similar things that they did for you as a child when they become more advanced in age...everything comes full circle in a way I suppose. For all those years they took care of you for what like 18 years, I think you can give them a few years of care back. You never know how long they will be here. They could live to be 80 something or leave you much sooner than that.

I'm proud to say my mom was not one of those who didn't take care of her parents. She was actually pretty amazing to see how she took care of my grandfather in those last weeks. I know someone else who has been left with a big burden because of those who won't take their responsibility to their parents, and I always hope that their service and hard work won't go ignored.

------------------------------------------

Its so important to try to keep working and not sit idle for too long. Sitting idle and taking unemployment for too long breaks people's spirits. I refused to take unemployment those 6 months this year I was out of a job. I never considered it. Not just because we have the comic book business, but because getting use to getting something handed to you without you working for it can break your spirit. People need to be out there working or trying to get working.

when you are out of a job for a long period of time its hard to keep that fighting going and not let your spirit get broken.....

I did have my spirit broken in there honestly those 6 months...which is the longest period I have gone unemployed these almost 15 years of full time employment. I did get really depressed and not leave my recliner all day a lot. I had a lot of bad thoughts this year feeling like a burden and not good for anything and feeling like I should blow my brains out to save everyone the trouble of me. Its cool that Jesus Wired came along just when I needed it. It doesn't pay, but it brought my spirits back up doing something again and being responsible for something. Plus, I get to give back to some great bands when is another plus.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:36 pm

23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Okay if anyone is using this as an excuse to drink that's stupid because this sounds like a more medicinal reason to drink...which is not the amount to get drunk. I would assume the water quality wasn't always that great back then. I'm pretty much an recovering alcoholic and I don't see it.

19 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses. 20 But those elders who are sinning you are to reprove before everyone, so that the others may take warning.

A serious job that needs to be taken seriously...yes we all need to be following everything and blah blah blah, but those up front leading need to take it all the more seriously because of the ripples that can happen when they falter in front of those who are new to the faith and not as strong. Don't think you can handle it? Don't do it then.

4 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.

remember all the years your parents had to dress you, bathe you, deal with all the bodily fluids coming from every orifice, deal with your tantrums and bad attitudes and all the times you said "i hate you" from the time you were young through when you were a teenager, all the times they tried to teach you and sometimes you took it and sometimes they still had to watch you learn the hard way...all the broken bones and broken hearts, all the sickness they had to drop everything for to take care of you....all the times you weren't sure if you believed in God or not and made them worry and pray for your soul....all the crap they had to deal with from you over all those years from the terrible 2's to adolescence and adulthood that isn't always quite right because some of us have to move back home and they have to deal with us all over again....

yeah, you owe your parents a lot....there will come a time when they need helping getting dressed and getting cleaned and groomed...there will come a time not everything works properly in their body and they will need help getting up and walking....there will come a time they need to be protected from all the cowardly criminals who try to take advantage of them at their old age....there will come a time where you will need to carry them like they carried you....

yeah, repaying is a perfect word for that....

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:56 am

22 Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.

OCD Courtney is like "way ahead of you Paul, I don't want to touch anything"

lol.....well its kind of not funny because its true....

Columbia

by Columbia Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Before getting into the passage, I want to say that I really appreciate the practical examples in Courtney's and Kevin's posts. Kevin is very well known but he does not see himself as too good to work in what many see as menial jobs. Courtney recognizes the great value in the way her mother took care of her own widowed mom. I put this in an independent post so that any observation I make about the passage will be kept separate from what I see in the examples that Kevin and Courtney presented. Glad I read their comments before venturing into 1 Timothy 5.
Columbia

by Columbia Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:43 pm

This chapter begins with an imperative not to rebuke an older man but to encourage him as you would a father. This means I need to know who an "older man" is. I like this translation better than use of the word "elder" because it clarifies that the original intent was not directed solely to a church officer. This is not to say church elders are excluded from receiving this specific manner of respect. So is this saying that I am only required to encourage men who are older than me? If that is the case, I can leave anyone out who is less than 62 years old! No, if I start that nonsense, I'll be creating a letter of the law to follow mechanically. Then I would be giving myself permission to ask a man how old he is to see if I can yell at him. Well, let's try to sincerely look to the spirit of the law while being accurate about this: I did a Greek peek. Πρεσβυτερω is the word used and is derived from πρεσβυσ which means "elderly." So it is a safe bet that this does not refer to young dads who are exhausting themselves by chasing their toddlers around. An elderly man may or may not be a dad. So this is not directed exclusively toward a church elder or men who are fathers. It's general in application. However, this is a pastoral epistle that is written to a young man. Therefor, it could apply to elderly male social contacts in addition to elderly men of the church. Now here are some million dollar questions: How old is elderly? - Where is the line of distinction drawn? - Am I elderly? - If I am elderly and some young person rebukes me, can I yell at them? (Just kidding) Man, if I am elderly, my less than perfect church is blowing this command! Lots of questions but I have come to a conclusion. ----- Be nice to old people. Men AND women. Especially to those who are troubled. At the same time I will not demand the respect of those who are younger than me but rather do my best to present an example that will encourage them to give me respect. This can work inside or outside the church. This can work with believers and nonbelievers. After all, this is a relational, not a performance oriented directive. Oh, shoot, I need to run and pick my wife up from work!
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:45 am

Treat younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.

I love that....because everyone IS someone's mother or someone's brother, etc. So just because you aren't connected to them in that way doesn't get you off the hook. People jump to criticizing online so easily and forget that. How would you feel if your family member was humiliated on the internet? But we don't care because we don't know them...yet you should treat them as if they were your family.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:55 pm

You guys always bring it. I love reading your thoughts.

Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.
1 Timothy 5:1‭-‬2 NIV

My generation definitely does not have this down for the most part. I've been known to be a bit harsh to my dad sometimes (he told me that I've even been bullying him in his dreams lately)... But at the end of the day, I do respect him and he's usually right about stuff. I see so many people my age bashing their parents for absolutely everything. I see them using people their own age and bragging about it. The shallowness of people drives me insane.

Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
1 Timothy 5:8 NIV

It's taken me a while to realize this, but providing for your family is much more than making sure there's food on the table and a roof over their heads. The material aspect is important, but there's also discipline and spiritual teaching that go along with that. I was raised in the church, but I was also raised knowing I had to make my own decision after a certain time.

Since I've started working full time, my parents have started charging me rent. My dad has explained numerous times the reasoning behind that is to get me used to having expenses and paying bills. Even though my responsibilities and expenses are increasing, my parents are still providing me with help figuring out how to take care of it on my own.

The point I'm trying to make is that enabling kids is not providing for them. There's a point where parents have to make their offspring take care of themselves. I think that's something a lot of the world has been losing its grip on.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Jesusfreak777

by Jesusfreak777 Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:14 pm

Do not rebuke an older man, but exhort him as a father, younger men as brothers, 2 older women as mothers, and with all propriety, the younger women as sisters

I know a lot of people at my school who could learn from this.

however, she who is self-indulgent is dead even while she lives.

That escalated quickly.

But if anyone does not provide for his own, that is his own household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Paul doesn't play around, he tells it straight and how it is. Personally, I think we need some more people like Paul in society today.

Don’t continue drinking only water, but use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Wait, what if your family, or in my case, entire culture, has issues with alcoholism? Edit: After reading everyone else's comments, I can see this isn't saying "Yeah go drink some wine for the heck of it" it's some kind of medical prescription.
- Jesse
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Of course just about anything with benefits to your health can turn around and become not good for you if not used properly....like if consumed in excess or consumed wrong or for the wrong reasons.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm

6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives.

Anyone that lives from one pleasure to the next is dead. Worldly pleasures can't fill you, and they can't keep you alive. It's like you think you are feeding yourself, but really you are carving a hole in your gut...so you just starve to death. Pleasure addiction does that...you think you are completing yourself, but really you are digging a hole in your heart that won't ever be filled. And your blood can't pump, and your life can't function while you are digging trenches in your chest and leaving behind what really keeps you alive...that's what's bleeding in the floor while you are chasing ghosts.

Those trenches take a while to fill back in after you've dug them, I don't recommend going down that road. I will probably always feel an emptiness that doesn't exist because of all the holes I carved in myself chasing after things that could never complete me.

Only God's hand is big enough to close the gap in these self inflicted carved trenches that make one empty instead of filling them. Even then I must always ask him if he's still there and request constant assurance that he is in fact completing me while my mind continues to try to convince me that I am empty.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:34 am

Quick off topic thought for the new year.

So a little over 3 years ago I had just starting trying to do some sort of outreach after being inspired by Kevin at Rock The Desert 2013. I posted my first message here and on Facebook. I felt absolutely powerless to do any good for God. I sat there and wondered how in the world little 'ol me is going to get my message out there and make a difference to anyone. But God said keep going so I kept going. God has all the power...all we have to do is have faith in him and step out there even when what he is asking makes us a little nervous.

He's definitely make me nervous over the last 3 years. Like my videos I was like "are you sure? I'm terrible at this". And when I was doing that Secret X photo series I was soooo worried that all the Disciple guys would hate it and hate me if they saw it. I was legit scared of them seeing that series. Because I kept going in faith despite my fear some good stuff has come out of all that. God has always backed me up when I stepped out in faith for him.

Like I've said before, you will never know the entire impact you are making. Very few will speak up to you. You have to just have faith in what God is asking of you and keep going. Its not about what you get out of it anyway, its about serving God and serving others. So it shouldn't matter if you get any recognition or praise out of it...you should be able to keep going even if you never get a single good thing out of it. Its hard for sure believe me...I get those round of doubts of it I am doing any good all the time. You can't let that doubt stop you.

Now I'm sitting here at the start of 2017 and working on my third post for my column....something I never imagined would happen. Its something God knew would happen all along...which is why he always told me to keep going even when I doubted what he was asking.

So yeah, welcome to 2017. I'm glad you're still here. We had some loss and heartache along the way because not everyone we love made it to 2017, but here we are still standing and still fighting. Some of us had an easy valley to cross in 2016, but some of us had a giant mountain to climb that made us wonder if going on was really worth it. Either way, I'm glad you made it and you're still here. There's no telling what this year holds...you have to just keep going to find out.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 am

Hi folks,

Merry Christmas, happy New Year, and I hope you have a fantastic 2017. I'm feeling led to go through Hebrews to get the interpretation of many of the figures in the old testament laws so that I can dive back through those laws again and refamiliarize myself with them. (Since we finished Daniel, I have continued on in the prophets and found they refer to the OT laws in technical ways, which I want to understand better so that I can understand more of what God is saying through the prophets.) I'm having trouble maintaining both this study and the study that I am feeling led to do and, to be quite honest, I am pretty bummed that we have stopped the OT study entirely, which was just getting to what I believe are some of the most amazing prophecies in the entire Bible. I am feeling a significant amount of frustration from it, which I don't want to pour out in my writing: you all don't deserve that.

So, after a long period of prayer and reflection on it, I bid you all best wishes as you continue along in these studies. There are still a number of really fascinating figures and lessons as you continue along in the path that has been set. God bless and please, whether it be here or however you feel led, continue in His Word every day. There is no better advice than what He has given in life, leadership, relationships, love, ethics, environmental care, or otherwise.

May the Lord bless you, and keep you: may the Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you: may the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace. God bless.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 am

I'm up for an Old Testament book study again any day...even if it just ramble on like an idiot lol. The Old Testament is the biggest influence on my poetry and other writings so I'll nerd out over those books in here anytime lol.

Soooo we should just do Ecclesiastes since oh my gosh I love that book! :P

Return to Disciple Bible Study