Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 3

by Kevin Young Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:25 am

This week we will be discussing 1 Timothy Chapter 3. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 3
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 3

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:01 am

Oh its the good old chapter we always go over when the church is picking new deacons or elders :P
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Columbia

by Columbia Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Yeah, most people interpret this as a list that is exclusively for potential church leaders and currently serving church leaders. The problem with that is such an interpretation relieves the rest of the church of the same responsibility for good conduct. In actuality, these are standards that are required of all believers in Scripture. A church leader is to be an emotionally healthy mature Christian. A "husband of one wife" is more accurately translated as "a one woman man." The issue about this is not with marriage. The loyalty of commitment to one woman only can be applied to single men, to widowers, and to men who have been divorced. This understanding allows for the possibility of a church leader having been married more than once. It also disqualifies any man who lusts after women, to whom they aren't married, from valid church leadership. Where the standard may seem weakened by this interpretation, it is in fact, strengthened to a standard that is compatible with Christ's description of adultery that is committed within the heart. The spirit of the law, therefor, outweighs the letter of the law. My personal take on this is that the traditional church interpretation of this chapter is legalistic in nature. Taking this to its logical conclusion is rather disarming. That conclusion is: No mortal is 100% qualified to be a church leader. The requirements listed are solid absolutes. This is where grace comes into play. This is where Christ in us bridges imperfections. Incidentally, on the eligible widows list, "wife of one husband" may be better interpreted "one man woman." This suggests a commitment to only one man at a time. The overall text of 1 Timothy 3 seems to support heterosexual relationships only. The moral fiber of the church is to be no-nonsense and deep. (I really like Courtney's comment. LOL Seriously, I like her comment.)
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Yeah for sure! That drunkenness part always got me in trouble though. Because I would be like "see it says just don't get drunk!"...but I would drink too much anyway because stopping was the part I was bad at. So Courtney just can't drink lol.

speaking of elders....my grandfather that passed was one for many many years in this small church by his house...I can't imagine the task of replacing him after he passed away....because he's irreplaceable to me....

Anyway, I have WAY off topic story for y'all!!

So today was a crazy day! My first post for my column at Jesus Wired just went up, and I got a job offer!! I started thinking about how a few months ago 2 really bad things happened in the same week, and now 2 really good things are happening in the same week. Its amazing how God did that. What would you call it, I guess God's mercy since David and Bathsheba lost their first child but then they had Solomon. And now God gave me a week with good things after I had a week with 2 bad things.

I just thought it was cool how God did a 2 for 2 there so I thought I would share here.....

cindyddavis

by cindyddavis Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:38 am

1 Timothy: 3. 1. Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. -

I have the upmost respect and admiration for anyone who steps into a leadership position of any ministry. When you step into a position like that your automatically held to a higher standard. Your watched more closely so any little thing you do that someone doesn't agree with is put on a billboard! We had a pastor at our church that gave into lust. The church was heartbroken that their leader did such a thing. But our leaders are flesh and blood just like us. Jesus is the only leader who was completely blameless and although we strive everyday to be like Him we all mess up. Even leaders. I've turned down positions with both youth and the little ones because when I mess up I tend to mess up to the extreme and I don't want the responsibility of all those souls that may turn away from Gods way because of my actions. I'm sure when I'm more stable and mature in my faith I'll feel differently but I feel like I keep having to start from the beginning because I keep messing up so stability and maturity in my faith seems beyond reach to me. So until then I'm content with being used as a helper here and there when I'm needed.
Columbia

by Columbia Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:17 pm

cindyddavis wrote:1 Timothy: 3. 1. Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. -

I have the upmost respect and admiration for anyone who steps into a leadership position of any ministry. When you step into a position like that your automatically held to a higher standard. Your watched more closely so any little thing you do that someone doesn't agree with is put on a billboard! We had a pastor at our church that gave into lust. The church was heartbroken that their leader did such a thing. But our leaders are flesh and blood just like us. Jesus is the only leader who was completely blameless and although we strive everyday to be like Him we all mess up. Even leaders. I've turned down positions with both youth and the little ones because when I mess up I tend to mess up to the extreme and I don't want the responsibility of all those souls that may turn away from Gods way because of my actions. I'm sure when I'm more stable and mature in my faith I'll feel differently but I feel like I keep having to start from the beginning because I keep messing up so stability and maturity in my faith seems beyond reach to me. So until then I'm content with being used as a helper here and there when I'm needed.

I know all about messing up with the best of intentions. Maybe it's a matter of taking the risk? I don't know. I do know this leadership thing really has my attention more than ever. My wife and I are planning to look into this more closely, at my lead, LOL. We are going to turn to the separate writings of a husband and wife who have been married for a very long time. They have been in successful family ministry for over 40 years. Always good to turn to trustworthy grandparents for help. We already know that women do lead. It's just that men are usually the leaders by position. Women are often leaders by influence.
RaiserofCain

by RaiserofCain Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task.

This is one of those chapters I tend to gloss over. As I read and actually focused on it this afternoon, I couldn't help thinking of our political climate. So often, the standard is to mock/ridicule/slander our political leaders. Every decision is questioned. We often treat them(especially those not on our side) with disrespect, or outright hostility. It often feels like it is us against them.

Unfortunately, it doesn't take much for this attitude to bleed into other areas, such as the church and its leaders. I would hope we aren't hostile towards them, but it can be so easy to fall into the mindset of always questioning, always picking apart those in leadership positions. Reading verses 2-7, I feel confident I go to a church with a good pastor. I think most(if not all) of our congregation would agree. Yet, it still doesn't take much to turn petty differences into issues.

A couple of weeks ago, it was announced we would have our Christmas gathering at night, on Christmas eve, rather than the usual Sunday morning(and Christmas is on a Sunday this year). A few of us(myself included) are less than thrilled about this. During different conversations, some of us(myself included) have expressed pretty negative opinions.

As I read the above verse, it began to sink in that God refers to being pastor as a noble task. Even if I don't see eye to eye with him on a decision(and it is acceptable to question things), I at least need to do so in a more respectful way. Honestly, as I type this, I am seeing how silly it seems to have made an issue out of such a minor thing.

Also, I am new here, so...Hi, everyone!
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:33 am

I am a manager in a city government. I've earned a bachelor in management, and I'm currently working on a master's of public administration. What I mean by this is that I've had plenty of management and leadership training. Many of these courses deal with neutral administrative topics such as accounting, finance, marketing, production management, human resource management styles. Some deal with more personal matters such as ethics, policy creation, good governance and decision-making models. Few deal with the characteristics of what makes a good leader/supervisor/boss. I have to tell you folks that, if you are looking for a good listing of leadership qualities, you are going to be hard pressed to find a better list than what Paul has given here. In fact, any leadership course that is worth it's salt is going to basically cover the same qualities as what you will find in 1 Timothy 3. Lesson? You've just taken an excellent leadership course in your own home for free without having to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars to go to a course or seminar. That's the kind of knowledge that your Father has provided you. How to grow, mature, and exhibit these qualities is something else (and comes with time, patience, and experience). But knowing that these qualities are something that should be pursued, whether you are aspiring to leadership within or without the church, is really quite priceless. And if you go into leadership courses already preloaded with these concepts, you are primed to get even more out of those courses than you would have without, because you will be already prepped with great discussion materials. God bless :cool: :cool: :cool:

p.s. Are we officially stopping the Old Testament studies? I was primed and prepped to go into Hosea.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:57 am

I need to throw in a few quotes from my book! Just not right now lol.

Oh my gosh I had a kind of leaderish position at my very first full time job when my manager quit. I was terrible at it. it was a stressful place during the peak months, and my temper and patience were really bad then....well they still are but I bet I could handle stuff better now...at least a little bit better.....

well there you go that pretty much proves I can't do the job in 1 Tim 3

5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?)

I like that point a lot, its not something I really appreciated until more recent years.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:30 am

2 Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

From J. Vernon McGee:

"'Apt to teach.' This is something I emphasize, because I do not feel any man ought to be an elder in a church unless he can teach the Word of God. I used to say to my church officers that I wished it was possible to give a theological exam to each one of them to determine if he was qualified to be an officer. I never actually did that, but I always thought it would be a good idea."

That never stuck up to me before, but that's really important actually, especially being someone people are going to come to first with questions and asking for advice probably.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:35 am

6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil.

After living with and knowing people who drink whatever Kool-Aid is handed to them and wondering if they actually believe in anything, I've come to find this one super important too. We might not care if our president has any experience anymore (because some people keep falling for the celebrity thing), but someone who has stood the test of time and not faltered from faith is important for church leadership.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:38 am

Anyway, yeah we should all strive for these qualities, but especially those in positions of leadership should lead the way on these qualities. Like I said, those are the people that members will look to and seek for questions and guidance. They have a potential to interact a lot with new members and people new to the faith. So yes they need to stand out on these qualities and be a good example of them on behalf of the church.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:36 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil.

After living with and knowing people who drink whatever Kool-Aid is handed to them and wondering if they actually believe in anything, I've come to find this one super important too. We might not care if our president has any experience anymore (because some people keep falling for the celebrity thing), but someone who has stood the test of time and not faltered from faith is important for church leadership.

Yes. This.

They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience.
1Ti 3:9 NIV

Also this. I've encountered so many people who seem to put politics above faith. My parents stream sermons that seem to be more about the government than faith. My dad even went as far as questioning my spiritual beliefs when I didn't vote for the same presidential candidate he did.

Then there are church politics going on in my denomination/conference right now. It just hurts to see people I know leaving the denomination to stay true to their faith, while other people I know bash them about the slight political aspect of the departures.

There's just so much hurt going on because people throw things into their faith that shouldn't be there. But I love our studies, because we put our faith first and respectfully talk through differing beliefs. I love you guys :)
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Oh yeah this past election people have just gone nuts. It was really interesting sitting back this time...because I didn't even like the top 4 choices on the ballot for president so I've been way neutral all this time.

My preacher gets a little political and I really don't like it. And we probably agree on a lot of stuff, but I don't like politics in sermons. I've walked out before when he got too political honestly.

I feel bad for a few people though. One person I know is still angry Hillary didn't win and she's still spewing poison all over her Facebook page. She keeps talking about stopping all this hate, but the only hate I see is coming from her. It's sad.

Anyway, ramble complete lol.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:27 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:Oh yeah this past election people have just gone nuts. It was really interesting sitting back this time...because I didn't even like the top 4 choices on the ballot for president so I've been way neutral all this time.

Same. I only voted so I'd have the right to complain.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Return to Disciple Bible Study