Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere Out There ;)

1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Kevin Young Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:59 am

This week we will be discussing 1 Timothy Chapter 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Kevin Young
Bouncer
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere Out There ;)

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Kevin Young Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Paul, again begins a letter cautioning against those who place such a large importance on following the Law of Moses.... saying that they want to be known as teachers of the Law of Moses instead of having a genuine faith in Christ... even going as far as saying they have missed the whole point. I think Paul was so vocal and outspoken against these folks because that is exactly how Paul was before his faith in Christ. He placed such a high importance on the law of Moses and his ability to keep it. You can see Paul's point of view more clearly here in Philippians 3:5-9...

5I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am a pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin—a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. 6I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault.
7I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ 9and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith


Following the law was Paul's way of saying "I'm righteous." But now Paul says "I now longer count on MY OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS THROUGH OBEYING THE LAW; rather I BECOME RIGHTEOUS THROUGH FAITH IN CHRIST." Pretty eye opening.

5The purpose of my instruction is that all believers would be filled with love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith.
This is great. God wants us to have a pure heart, a clear conscience, and genuine faith. If our conscience isn't clear, now is the time to go to God and make it clear.

9For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who kill their father or mother or commit other murders. 10The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching 11that comes from the glorious Good News entrusted to me by our blessed God.
Wow. That's harsh. But I guess he made his point.

14Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus.
15This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”—and I am the worst of them all. 16But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.
This is so great. Paul is saying "If God can save me, He can save anybody!" I love this so much. Such a hope filled verse. There is hope for the worst of sinners!!! God loves them.

19Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
This is an amazing verse. So many times I have violated my conscience and that violation indeed shipwrecked my faith. It is interesting to note the correlation in of FAITH IN CHRIST and our CONSCIENCE. These two go hand in hand. Trying to do the right thing relies on our own human effort. But clinging to our faith in Christ gives us the strength to not go against what our conscience is telling us is wrong.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
laceyg
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:18 pm
Location: Nature Coast, Florida

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by laceyg Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Greetings from Florida! This is my first time joining this Bible study, and I'm so excited to jump in. Thank you, Disciple, for offering the chance to study alongside believers from around the world.

Ok, so when reading this, I'm drawn to v16 "But I received mercy for this reason, so that in me, the worst of them, Christ Jesus might demonstrate His extraordinary patience as an example to those who would believe in Him for eternal life." (HCSB). Patience is 'fruit' that I struggle with in almost every form - I'm the kind of person who needs a snack while I'm cooking supper, I'm so impatient, lol. And I struggle having patience with people who sin or wrong me. If someone sins, and repeatedly commits the same sin, I write them off, because I don't have patience to deal with that. It's a real struggle for me.

How humbling is it to know that I do the exact same thing to God. I sin, apologize, ask for forgiveness, and sin again, repeating the cycle. Yet, in his extraordinary patience, he waits for me with loving arms.

There's a situation with a loved one that is calling for patience (extraordinary patience), and I find myself burned by his choices, hurt, and almost unwilling to extend mercy. This passage is what I needed to hear - I need to extend patience...and it's not going to be easy. Please pray for me -that I can forgive.

Also, please keep everyone in Hurricane Matthew's path in your prayers.
---
Lacey G
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Kevin, I honestly have never thought of faith being shipwrecked as an isolated incident thing. That is a good observation. Not a good thing to happen but this opens another venue where failure - repentance - restoration can cycle under individual settings. The idea of a more permanent consequence may also still be implied by Paul. But your understanding of the passage broadens the application. Thanks. Will be looking at the chapter a bit more before I put in my own 2 pesos. God bless you, brother.
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 pm

That's one thing that has always helped me come back when I have strayed, my conscience. Even though I have failed it many times, it has never failed me. I know its the reason I have never strayed more than I have because of its constant speaking to me. Even when I tried to be all those other things when I was a teen as I desperately put on any identity I could just to belong somewhere and feel wanted...my conscience was there saying "this isn't you, you don't belong here, you're better than this". I don't know where I would be without it.

16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.


I love that "display his immense patience"....because certainly God displayed it again with me all those years when I said so many times he had abandoned me and he never had....all those years he was there anyway and waited for me to see that he was there the whole time. All those years he waited for me to see that all these addictions couldn't help me....all those years it took me to figure out depression and anxiety. All those years it took me to figure out he had a plan for all that suffering I had to go through and still go through so I could do what he wanted me to do to serve the kingdom. Because I can't do anything I do without all of it.

Because seriously I sound insane probably talking about my own mental illnesses and addictions as candidly as I do....I'm sure it deters many people from me...but I feel its what he wants me to do because there's people that need to see that other people are going through it too....and I purposely like to show the ups and downs in my blogs and stuff because I want to show that I do go through all of this stuff BUT that hope is still there because I never lost my hope and faith in God through all that darkness. David does that in his psalms...he'll go up and down too and I like to do that like he did.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
Leah
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Leah Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here. :) I don't have any input right now, but I enjoy reading along! Thanks for doing this!
~This is where I draw the line; this is where the old me dies~
User avatar
sassy1506
 
Posts: 2552
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by sassy1506 Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Kevin Young wrote:
19Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
This is an amazing verse. So many times I have violated my conscience and that violation indeed shipwrecked my faith. It is interesting to note the correlation in of FAITH IN CHRIST and our CONSCIENCE. These two go hand in hand. Trying to do the right thing relies on our own human effort. But clinging to our faith in Christ gives us the strength to not go against what our conscience is telling us is wrong.


This hit me hard... If I'm being completely honest, my faith has definitely taken a huge hit since camp happened. I think it's been a bit obvious, but I don't think I've blatantly talked about the extent of it.

Working at a Christian camp is so full of God moments, but it's also full of a lot of crap that comes with 50 young adults in charge of a couple hundred children. Everyone gets sick and sleep deprived and stretched thin. It's physically, mentally, and spiritually exhausting; but the rule of thumb is, "fake it 'till you make it". I definitely grew some aspects of my faith at camp, but I also let my guard down a bit. Two months of constant christian community and Spirit filled moments is quite the experience. Then it's time to go home and try to continue that experience without the family that's been created. It's hard to readjust to being alone after being in that constant community, and I slipped up. I stopped studying the bible and pursuing God; I let depression start taking over my life. I started ignoring my conscience and turning to self-harm when it caught up to me. I thought about suicide way too much during the past two months.

14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.


I'm ashamed at how far away I've gotten from where I need to be. I'm still not there, but I'm working on it. If there's anything I've learned, it's that acknowledging weakness is an important step in becoming stronger.

Sorry for dumping this on you guys. Thank you for being in my life.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:14 pm

sassy1506 wrote:
Kevin Young wrote:
19Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
This is an amazing verse. So many times I have violated my conscience and that violation indeed shipwrecked my faith. It is interesting to note the correlation in of FAITH IN CHRIST and our CONSCIENCE. These two go hand in hand. Trying to do the right thing relies on our own human effort. But clinging to our faith in Christ gives us the strength to not go against what our conscience is telling us is wrong.


This hit me hard... If I'm being completely honest, my faith has definitely taken a huge hit since camp happened. I think it's been a bit obvious, but I don't think I've blatantly talked about the extent of it.

Working at a Christian camp is so full of God moments, but it's also full of a lot of crap that comes with 50 young adults in charge of a couple hundred children. Everyone gets sick and sleep deprived and stretched thin. It's physically, mentally, and spiritually exhausting; but the rule of thumb is, "fake it 'till you make it". I definitely grew some aspects of my faith at camp, but I also let my guard down a bit. Two months of constant christian community and Spirit filled moments is quite the experience. Then it's time to go home and try to continue that experience without the family that's been created. It's hard to readjust to being alone after being in that constant community, and I slipped up. I stopped studying the bible and pursuing God; I let depression start taking over my life. I started ignoring my conscience and turning to self-harm when it caught up to me. I thought about suicide way too much during the past two months.

14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.


I'm ashamed at how far away I've gotten from where I need to be. I'm still not there, but I'm working on it. If there's anything I've learned, it's that acknowledging weakness is an important step in becoming stronger.

Sorry for dumping this on you guys. Thank you for being in my life.


Dude, you can message me an hour of the day if you are thinking about turning to self harm. I promise I won't just say "don't do it" because that's stupid and I HATED it when people said "stop hurting yourself" and nothing else like I was magically going to be able to stop when they said that. I am available all hours of the day you know...I have nothing else going on.

That choice to say no is incredibly hard, I know I have to say no every day and its hard! Man that line "yesterday I might have said yes, not today!" line in "come my way" or however it goes....I live that all the time! But that choice is always there...we get fooled into thinking we can't say no but that isn't true!

I have struggled with that time after getting overloaded with God filled moments before. I think concerts can do the same thing, especially Christian shows where we get to worship with friends. They do give a high...and even a spiritual high can be difficult when you crash. Life just can't be all high moments like that. I don't think it would be good for us for it to be like that all the time. I see people spend insane amounts of money and travel insane distances to keep living in that high especially for concerts....they have to keep going to keep that high. Because when that fleeting moment is gone you are left empty and wanting...Because those highs can't fulfill you. even something like that can turn into a high.

so being content in everything be it quiet days or loud days...feeling fulfilled no matter what you are doing or where you are as long as you are following God's plan for your life.....if you can do that those highs won't own you and leave you a slave to them, seeking any way to fill that hole left behind when that high is gone. watching everyone get to see Disciple all the time is tough because I don't get to do that as much...watching friends hang with bands when I am not getting to is tough (which is illogical since people don't even want to sit by me most of the time)....but that's not what fulfills me...those highs can't fill me!! these quiet days where I am helping on Jesus Wired's instagram and doing my thing on tumblr or working on a photo piece....quiet stuff that doesn't get fame and recognition....THAT is what leaves me fulfilled and content....doing what God wants me to do. those shows are going to go on without me and no one will care I am missing or notice I am absent, but God has something he wants me to do that maybe only I can do because of the carefully made path I have been placed on that qualifies me for it...and that is more important than seeking those highs.

Anyway...not sure if that helped or stayed on topic even...but yeah those highs even from a Christian event can be just as tough to deal with as any sort of highs. I think its not keeping that feeling that matters as much as maybe being able to find that feeling even on quiet uneventful days as much as the loud epic days.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:09 pm

sassy1506 wrote:
Kevin Young wrote:
19Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked.
This is an amazing verse. So many times I have violated my conscience and that violation indeed shipwrecked my faith. It is interesting to note the correlation in of FAITH IN CHRIST and our CONSCIENCE. These two go hand in hand. Trying to do the right thing relies on our own human effort. But clinging to our faith in Christ gives us the strength to not go against what our conscience is telling us is wrong.


This hit me hard... If I'm being completely honest, my faith has definitely taken a huge hit since camp happened. I think it's been a bit obvious, but I don't think I've blatantly talked about the extent of it.

Working at a Christian camp is so full of God moments, but it's also full of a lot of crap that comes with 50 young adults in charge of a couple hundred children. Everyone gets sick and sleep deprived and stretched thin. It's physically, mentally, and spiritually exhausting; but the rule of thumb is, "fake it 'till you make it". I definitely grew some aspects of my faith at camp, but I also let my guard down a bit. Two months of constant christian community and Spirit filled moments is quite the experience. Then it's time to go home and try to continue that experience without the family that's been created. It's hard to readjust to being alone after being in that constant community, and I slipped up. I stopped studying the bible and pursuing God; I let depression start taking over my life. I started ignoring my conscience and turning to self-harm when it caught up to me. I thought about suicide way too much during the past two months.

14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life.


I'm ashamed at how far away I've gotten from where I need to be. I'm still not there, but I'm working on it. If there's anything I've learned, it's that acknowledging weakness is an important step in becoming stronger.

Sorry for dumping this on you guys. Thank you for being in my life.


The only thing I can say about self-harm and suicide is please don't do that. You have great value beyond anything you can imagine. Don't let your feelings lie to you and rob you of your precious life. Sorry about the "don'ts". Just trying to appeal to you as your brother in Christ. None of us have any idea how valuable our earthly lives and well being are to the Lord. They are His gift to us no matter how much we go through. The seventeen year old guy I used to see in the mirror has been quickly replaced with a 61 year old. Life really goes by fast! I know where you are. I've been there from time to time. Am only reminding you of what you already know. Things will get better. You will be stronger for hanging in there. Then you will be ready to successfully beat the next trial. Give the Lord a big fat chance to show others Himself through you. Many here need you and need your help. YOU ARE LOVED.
User avatar
sassy1506
 
Posts: 2552
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by sassy1506 Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Thank you guys so much. I'm definitely getting back on track; I think the worst is behind me for now. I appreciate your presence in my life. I love you.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Sadly I don't have Barclay's book with 1 Timothy, but I do have J Vernon Mcgee's book for it!

Stuff from the Intro:

-1 Tim, 2 Tim, and Titus are called the Pastoral Epistles because they have to do with local churches

-"these three epistles were written to 2 young preachers who worked with Paul: Timothy and Titus. They were part of his fruit; that is, they were led to Christ through the ministry of Paul. He had these men with him as helpers, and he instructed them about the local church."

((McGee commented on how Paul said some of the stuff he stuff in this chapter is because of the fact that he was talking to them))

-"in all 3 epistles Paul is dealing with 2 things: the creed of the church and the conduct of the church."

-"Paul deals with these 2 topics in each of the 3 epistles. For instance, in 1 Tim., chap 1, is faith, the faith of the church--its doctrine. In chap. 2 is the order of the church. Chapter 3 concerns the officers of the church. Chapter 4 describes the apostasy that was coming, and chap 5 and 6 tell of the duties of the officiers."

8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.


"the law served a purpose, but God did not give it as a means of salvation. the law condemns us; it reveals to man that he is a sinner in need of a savior. Under the law the best man in the world is absolutely condemned, but under the gospel the worst man can be justified if he will believe in Christ.

the sinner cannot be saved by good works for he is unable to perform any good works. Paul wrote in Romans, "so then they that are in the flesh cannot please God" (8:8). This idea that in and of yourself you can please God absolutely contradicts the Word of God. It is impossible to please Him---you cannot meet his standard.

Good works cannot produce salvation, but salvation can product good works. We are not saved by good works, but we are saved unto good works. (insert ephesians 2:8-10 here).

"We know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully." The law reveals the will of God---it is morally excellent. It is good for moral conduct but not obtaining salvation. It cannot save a sinner, but it can correct him or reveal that he is a sinner. That is its purpose."

9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine


((an illustration))

"After teaching at an Indian conference in Flagstaff, AR, Dr. Ironside took one of the Christian Indians with him to Oakland, CA. Among other things, this Indian was asked to speak at a young people's group that was mixed up on the ideas of law and grace. They were confused about the place of the law in the Christian life. The Indian told the group, "I came here from Flagstaff on the train, and we stopped over for several hours in Barstow. There in the station's waiting room I noticed signs on the wall which said, "DO NOT SPIT ON THE FLOOR". That was the rule there. I looked down on the floor, and observed that nobody had paid any attention to the law. But when we got here to Oakland I was invited to stay in a lovely Christian home. As I sat in the living room I looked around and noticed pretty pictures on the walls, but no signs which said "DO NOT SPIT ON THE FLOOR'. I got down on my hands and knees and felt the rug and, you know, nobody had spit on the floor. In Barstow it was law, but in the home in which I'm staying it is grace."
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:17 pm

Off topic, but I was thinking about lessons that the old law taught recently. I've said for a while you see a learning of differentiating between good and evil for sure in the old laws. One thing I hadn't thought of was the lesson of not always going the way the world is. I had never put that and the whole separation part of the old testament together. Like how they were taught to be separated from other groups and not be like them, don't worship their gods, don't marry them, etc. Its where that starts, that lesson that we can't be like the world and that sometimes when the world goes one way we have to go another.

anyway random thought I had recently....
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:31 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:Sadly I don't have Barclay's book with 1 Timothy, but I do have J Vernon Mcgee's book for it!

Stuff from the Intro:

-1 Tim, 2 Tim, and Titus are called the Pastoral Epistles because they have to do with local churches

-"these three epistles were written to 2 young preachers who worked with Paul: Timothy and Titus. They were part of his fruit; that is, they were led to Christ through the ministry of Paul. He had these men with him as helpers, and he instructed them about the local church."

((McGee commented on how Paul said some of the stuff he stuff in this chapter is because of the fact that he was talking to them))

-"in all 3 epistles Paul is dealing with 2 things: the creed of the church and the conduct of the church."

-"Paul deals with these 2 topics in each of the 3 epistles. For instance, in 1 Tim., chap 1, is faith, the faith of the church--its doctrine. In chap. 2 is the order of the church. Chapter 3 concerns the officers of the church. Chapter 4 describes the apostasy that was coming, and chap 5 and 6 tell of the duties of the officiers."

8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.


"the law served a purpose, but God did not give it as a means of salvation. the law condemns us; it reveals to man that he is a sinner in need of a savior. Under the law the best man in the world is absolutely condemned, but under the gospel the worst man can be justified if he will believe in Christ.

the sinner cannot be saved by good works for he is unable to perform any good works. Paul wrote in Romans, "so then they that are in the flesh cannot please God" (8:8). This idea that in and of yourself you can please God absolutely contradicts the Word of God. It is impossible to please Him---you cannot meet his standard.

Good works cannot produce salvation, but salvation can product good works. We are not saved by good works, but we are saved unto good works. (insert ephesians 2:8-10 here).

"We know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully." The law reveals the will of God---it is morally excellent. It is good for moral conduct but not obtaining salvation. It cannot save a sinner, but it can correct him or reveal that he is a sinner. That is its purpose."

9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine


((an illustration))

"After teaching at an Indian conference in Flagstaff, AR, Dr. Ironside took one of the Christian Indians with him to Oakland, CA. Among other things, this Indian was asked to speak at a young people's group that was mixed up on the ideas of law and grace. They were confused about the place of the law in the Christian life. The Indian told the group, "I came here from Flagstaff on the train, and we stopped over for several hours in Barstow. There in the station's waiting room I noticed signs on the wall which said, "DO NOT SPIT ON THE FLOOR". That was the rule there. I looked down on the floor, and observed that nobody had paid any attention to the law. But when we got here to Oakland I was invited to stay in a lovely Christian home. As I sat in the living room I looked around and noticed pretty pictures on the walls, but no signs which said "DO NOT SPIT ON THE FLOOR'. I got down on my hands and knees and felt the rug and, you know, nobody had spit on the floor. In Barstow it was law, but in the home in which I'm staying it is grace."


J Vernon McGee is an encouraging blast from the past. I am ancient enough to have actually listened to his broadcast when he was alive. He was talking about the animosity of the unregenerate once. He was encouraging us about standing firmly and calmly against their attacks. Then he used a personal example: He said that when someone told him to, "go to hell," that he would reply with, "No. I refuse to go there." He would then explain to the person why he could say that with confidence. His confidence was not misplaced. He is in heaven now. I sure miss hearing his heavily Southern accented voice applied to solid biblical exposition. He was a highly educated man who knew how to relate to people.
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:20 pm

Paul writes a semi-personal letter to Timothy. This breaks away from Paul's letters to churches. It amazes me that a personal letter is included in God's word to us. Paul doesn't waste time before zeroing in on false teachers. He lists their characteristics giving us a real advantage in identifying such people. False teachers abound today just as they did in Paul's day. Perhaps the desire to not offend and to place unity as a high priority were also problems then? Not that these are always problems. But in the extreme, these desires can become counter-gospel. Paul then rotates to a focus upon Christ. He calls himself the biggest sinner ever. This brings a real contrast between him and Christ. This also appears to me as a real contrast against the bragging of most church leaders I know. This is a statement that reveals a humble attitude. This is a statement that brings Timothy, and us, an example of how a real man of God sees himself. Transparency is what we crave in our leaders. Transparency is appreciated by the pure in heart and mockingly despised by those with bad motives. Transparency is common among those who use this site. Perfect people do not fit in here :) . Kevin emits the same type of honesty which makes it easy for the rest of us to follow suit. "But I received mercy for this reason..." That is the good news. We have all likewise received mercy despite our failings. Praise God for this! Not real sure about the handing people over to Satan part. Doing exhaustive research on that concept could drive a person nuts. This was no doubt an apostolic authority thing. Receive mercy and hand someone over to Satan. That can be a real mind bender. So I'll leave that one alone and say, "Good night."
User avatar
lappinglivingwater
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:36 am
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by lappinglivingwater Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:03 pm

This letter to Paul's most advanced protégé is a really cool one. You see how Paul talks to a person who has an advanced knowledge of the Word, and the prophetic symbolic language that Paul uses for a person who understands what it means. I love it... and marvel at it. It really helps to decode some of the mystery.

One other thing I note is the slight irony when Paul says that the law is not for the righteous, but for sinners... and then a little while later turns around and says "I'm the biggest sinner of the bunch." I feel this way. The law was written for a sinner like me to know the difference from right and wrong - because I suck at doing right. I suck at hospitality, and compassion, and grace, and common courtesy... but the writings in the Word teach me to do better and for that I am truly grateful.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
User avatar
cindyddavis
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by cindyddavis Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:48 am

1 Timothy: 1. 4. or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God's work—which is by faith.

I feel like this happens soooo much today! Christians arguing over what belief is right or wrong. I have a friends who almost ended their marriage because the husbands beliefs changed. It's all about Jesus. I don't think it really matters whether or not I believe or disbelieve in controversial stuff as long as I'm walking the right path which is right to Jesus. Its not my job to argue with someone over whether their belief is "right" or "wrong" who am I to tell people what's right or wrong.

Some friends of mine had some Mormons come to their door one day and instead of arguing with them about who's belief was correct they invited them in their home and sat and listened to them which in turn the Mormons listed to what they had to say. They formed a relationship rather then arguing with them. We are called to love on people no matter what!

A post went up on Facebook recently where a young man came forward with something he feels very strongly about. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Some of the replies to this made me sick! "I'm dissapointed in you" "you are wrong"....what about.. "I'm here for you" and "you are loved!"

Satan looooves when we Christians can't agree on things because it takes us away from our main focus. Jesus and the love of Jesus..
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:01 pm

I'm tired of the "is this right or wrong" argument. I don't like arguing so maybe that's why lol. It doesn't even feel right because I just think of all the stuff I do every day as I say it and it I don't feel right. I'm more about the why you are still doing it I guess...the easiest way to put it.

Like if you think its wrong....why are you still doing it? Are you still doing it because you don't care that its wrong....or are you wanting to stop and you try and try and can't stop? There's a difference between doing stuff because you don't care if its wrong or not you are going to do what you want....and battling sins day after day and knowing its wrong and wanting to change and not always being able to stop yourself.

If you know its right....why aren't you doing it? Are you not doing it because you could care less about doing the right thing...or are you an imperfect human who just messes up and doesn't do the right thing sometimes no matter how hard you try?

And all that comes down to the heart....something we can't see clearly in people the way God can....
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I kind of had a thought today....and I don't really want to put in anywhere else in this way so I guess I'll put it here.....

I've had a rough time with the...well I don't know if its suicidal thoughts...but wanting to die thoughts....like really legitimately feeling like a burden and really feeling like I'm better off gone. I haven't figured out a way I can express it and not disturb people. I've had a few times I couldn't stop picturing myself putting a gun to my head. See....how do you tell someone you keep picturing that?

I went to a funeral today for one of my husband's great aunts I guess...a sister of his grandmother. I think she was Jehovah Witness, but the service didn't seem different. They didn't do hymns, but they quoted scriptures from Revelation (like 21 the no tears part, and the great multitude part), one of Paul's letters about being transformed into heavenly beings, and even Job the "the lord gave and the lord has taken away" part...and the part in Hebrews the verse about faith in the unseen.

She dealt with illness for many years...I don't know her that well honestly but that I know. But she was faithful and liked to help people and pray for them. She sounded like she stayed very faithful and positive despite years of illness. One woman came up and talked about how she doesn't know where she would be without her.

I even said it out loud how you know if this great aunt of my husband hadn't of gone through that...she might not have had that kind of faith or prayed with people like she did. Because suffering can really shape your faith and make it so much stronger. So this woman up at the front of her funeral might not have gotten what she needed if the great aunt that had passed had not had the faith she did through trials. I said I can't speak for the great aunt, but I bet knowing she helped people would have made those trials worth it or at least easier to bear. Even after she was gone she was making an impact...because I kept hearing people talk about how positive she was despite all of her trials. And who knows what ripples will happen with that impact she had made through her life of trials and death.

Because I have even said it to people....I could have gone through all these 15+ years of depression and anxiety JUST to be here right now saying this to you....and it would ALL be worth it just to encourage you. So I got reminded that I could never wish any of this away because everything I do is tied to all of these thorns.

So yeah....I guess this great aunt of my husband....whom I did not know very well....her life of faith through trials impacted me too....I guess her ripples reached me too.....
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
notebooknut
 
Posts: 2105
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:11 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: 1 TIMOTHY CHAPTER 1

by notebooknut Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:31 am

First off, sorry for not being on lately, but God has been helping me so much. I've been reading my Bible every single morning and I've grown a lot closer to the Lord, and so I guess with my morning Bible Study I forgot to come on here, but I'll try to remember!!

5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.


To me, I feel like the Bible stresses love so much because if you truly love someone then everything should just follow it. You're going to want what's best for them, you're going to want to help them, you're going to want to do what will please, you're going to respect them, and everything else! Love is the greatest commandment because it has so much tied in with it.

8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.


Ooooh, I like this a lot. The law is a VERY good and needed thing- IF it's used properly. The problem comes in when we have the enforces of the law in here who don't want what God wants. Who couldn't care less. That's when the law turns to something immorally wrong. That's when we have to stand up for God's word, (to be rebels *cough cough*)

12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.


Amen! We're all this! God's grace is so amazing.
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Return to Disciple Bible Study

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest