Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

DANIEL CHAPTER 12

by Kevin Young Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:42 pm

This week we will be discussing Daniel Chapter 12. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 12
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
lappinglivingwater

Re: DANIEL CHAPTER 12

by lappinglivingwater Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:20 pm

The first verse of this chapter is what Paul was identifying in 1 Thessalonians 5 when he said the Lord would return with the shout of the archangel. That is when the last trumpet is blown (1 Corinthians 15:52). Daniel was told that those who understood these things would teach many - Paul was one of those people who understood. Actually... compare these two verses because Paul is directly referencing Daniel 12!

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
~Daniel 12:2

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
~1 Corinthians 15:51-52

"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:37 pm

“At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered.

like that "will be delivered" part...I had horrible dark thoughts of how if I ever planned to kill myself that I would do it on my birthday. Not dark leaning towards actions, just dark thoughts thinking about that last week. I didn't really talk about it because I don't want to worry anyone....I just waited it out...waited for the thoughts to lift because God always gets me through. So I always like the parts talking about being delivered.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:51 pm

10 Many will be purified, made spotless and refined, but the wicked will continue to be wicked. None of the wicked will understand, but those who are wise will understand.

The wicked will continue....

Evil will always remain here. On this earth until the day you die, evil will remain here. You can work until your hands bleed to make the world around you a better place....but evil will still be here. People will keep doing bad things and getting away with it, and the good will die young and be poor while the wicked are rich and live on. This will not end.

but that doesn't mean we give up or give in...do not lose faith when the wicked prosper around you. Stand firm in the truth and don't let go. When the world goes one way and says it's right that doesn't make them right when God is saying go the other way. Be prepared to stand firm even when they criticize you.

I just heard Ted Cruz completely back track and falter on weak feet instead of standing firm despite opposition. People will always fail you. But God will never fail you. If you stand firm in the truth that comes from God, you will not fail. because it's not about what you have in this temporary fleeting world....it's about what you have in the next world

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:55 am

that's a neat little chapter. I haven't been through Daniel in a while, but I'm going through old testament again right now so I'll get back over there eventually (I'm in the middle of psalms right now).

“As for you, go your way till the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days you will rise to receive your allotted inheritance.”

kind of something we all need to hear from time to time...just keep going all the way to the end, one day you will rest and receive your inheritance.

I don't know what is harder, the foggy path ahead where you keep walking and can't see what is ahead...or something like this where you have heard what will be in the way Daniel did and you're sitting there wondering when all of this is going to happen that you know will indeed happen.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:58 am

Reformation Study Bible:

12:1 a time of trouble.
This unparalleled time of trouble is sometimes identified with the “great tribulation” predicted by Jesus (Matt. 24:21; Mark 13:19).

your people shall be delivered.
This deliverance is not necessarily from martyrdom (v. 2), but from the power of Satan, understood as his attempts to destroy people’s faith during the time of distress.

12:2 everlasting life . . . and everlasting contempt.
This verse is a clear prediction of the bodily resurrection of the godly and ungodly for the final judgment (Matt. 25:46; John 5:28, 29).

12:4 seal the book.
Sealing the book preserves it unaltered as it awaits fulfillment (8:26 note).

12:11 the abomination that makes desolate is set up.
See third note on 9:27. The similar activity of Antiochus IV prefigured this activity of the Antichrist (8:13).

The significance of these time frames is obscure. Three and one-half years is 1260 days of a 360-day year, or 1278 days of a 365-day year.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:59 am

Matthew Henry's Commentary Intro:

Chapter 12
After the prediction of the troubles of the Jews under Antiochus, prefiguring the troubles of the Christian church under the anti-christian power, we have here,

I. Comforts, and very precious ones, prescribed as cordials for the support of God’s people in those times of trouble; and they are such as may indifferently serve both for those former times of trouble under Antiochus and those latter which were prefigured by them, Dan. 12:1-4.

II. A conference between Christ and an angel concerning the time of the continuance of these events, designed for Daniel’s satisfaction, Dan. 12:5-7.

III. Daniel’s enquiry for his own satisfaction, Dan. 12:8. And the answer he received to that enquiry, Dan. 12:9-12.

Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:08 pm

We were talking about this verse this morning on the bus....

13“As for you, go your way until the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days, you will rise again to receive the inheritance set aside for you.”

It made me think of the two schools of thought of what happens to us when we die. Here we see God saying to Daniel "you will rest" and then rise again later. One could assume from this passage that when someone dies that nothing happens to them at that moment... they just rest (die), but then at the last day they will rise from the dead. The other school of thought comes from a passage where Paul says "to absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8). And one could assume from this passage, that when someone dies they are immediately in the presence of Jesus the moment that their soul becomes "absent from the body."

At first glance these two schools of thought seem at odds with each other. Our conversation this morning was.... that when we die, if we go to rest, then there is no concept of time. And that the moment we open our eyes it will be when we rise again. In light of that, these two ideas can now co-exist.

That was just a peek of the conversation on the Disciple bus this morning. Of course I prefer to believe that we immediately go to be with the Lord when we die. But regardless of now or later, being with Him eternally is the ultimate prize.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Kevin Young wrote:We were talking about this verse this morning on the bus....

13“As for you, go your way until the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days, you will rise again to receive the inheritance set aside for you.”

It made me think of the two schools of thought of what happens to us when we die. Here we see God saying to Daniel "you will rest" and then rise again later. One could assume from this passage that when someone dies that nothing happens to them at that moment... they just rest (die), but then at the last day they will rise from the dead. The other school of thought comes from a passage where Paul says "to absent from the body is to be present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8). And one could assume from this passage, that when someone dies they are immediately in the presence of Jesus the moment that their soul becomes "absent from the body."

At first glance these two schools of thought seem at odds with each other. Our conversation this morning was.... that when we die, if we go to rest, then there is no concept of time. And that the moment we open our eyes it will be when we rise again. In light of that, these two ideas can now co-exist.

That was just a peek of the conversation on the Disciple bus this morning. Of course I prefer to believe that we immediately go to be with the Lord when we die. But regardless of now or later, being with Him eternally is the ultimate prize.

I ponder on this from time to time. I've wondered if there is a paradise and hades that people go to until judgement...and then there is heaven and hell. Then you would just be with God when you die.

Rev 20 " 13 The sea gave up its dead, and death and the grave[b] gave up their dead. And all were judged according to their deeds."

....that whole section in there is one that made me think about that....well no one can die and come back and tell us the answer so I guess we'll have to wonder about it lol

But seriously, God isn't limited by time so we could just all appear at judgment at what seems right away or something when we die even dying all at different times across history, not even remembering a time of resting

Return to Disciple Bible Study