Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 3

by Kevin Young Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:44 am

This week we will be discussing 2 Thessalonians Chapter 3. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 3
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 2 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 3

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:51 am

2 And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith. 3 But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.

I have been fighting evil pretty hard in the intrusive thoughts going on my head right now with this depression and anxiety. It was pretty bad last night, I'm glad the bible study got posted because of it. It was just Satan fueling my social anxiety just trying to get me to just give up on being around people because no one wants me around. Everything from church and why do you bother going when no one cares that you're there...to even like everyone here and Disciple Alliance saying no one really cares that you are a part of that group why do you bother calling them friends. Just thoughts of not feeling a part of anything and not mattering...ugh it was awful I couldn't get the thoughts to go away.

Anyway, I was having a horribly hard time with Satan in my thoughts last night so it was nice to read these verses this morning.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Texas Watchman

by Texas Watchman Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:04 pm

I understand exactly how you feel. Depression/ insecurity is a generational curse in my family. If you were not a Threat to the enemy you would not be under attack. 2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. James 1:2,3

It will always feel like people don't want to hear the truth, but rather, will seek out what their itching ears want to hear. We must keep planting the seeds even if we are not present for the harvest.
The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. John 15:20

I just wanted to take the time to let you know you are NOT alone in this time of trials. I have read your words, and considered your feeling.

Father God I come before you on behalf of my sister. I ask that you strengthen her against the lies of the enemy. That you open her eyes to the warfare surrounding her. God I ask in the name of Jesus that you bind the evil around her. That you bind the spirits of deception, insecurity, confusion and any other attack coming against her. God I pray there if there be any sin acute or generational that allows the enemy rights to her persecution and oppression, that you reveal it to her so she, through You, can eradicate it from her life. Finally Father I ask that you give your angels charge over her, that you place a hedge of protection around her. Fill her with the power and love of the Holy Spirit that she may heal from the firery arrows and stand cleansed and strengthend with the full armor of God.

In the Name of Jesus Christ I pray.
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. -Ps 119:11
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:12 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
2 And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith. 3 But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.

I have been fighting evil pretty hard in the intrusive thoughts going on my head right now with this depression and anxiety. It was pretty bad last night, I'm glad the bible study got posted because of it. It was just Satan fueling my social anxiety just trying to get me to just give up on being around people because no one wants me around. Everything from church and why do you bother going when no one cares that you're there...to even like everyone here and Disciple Alliance saying no one really cares that you are a part of that group why do you bother calling them friends. Just thoughts of not feeling a part of anything and not mattering...ugh it was awful I couldn't get the thoughts to go away.

Anyway, I was having a horribly hard time with Satan in my thoughts last night so it was nice to read these verses this morning.

I love you so much, Courtney. I've been dealing with heavy bouts of depression lately as well. I honestly don't think I'd be able to keep up the fight if I didn't have you in my life.

7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

Ouch. Who knew reading the bible would make me hate my terrible job hunting skills even more....
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:08 pm

REFORMATION STUDY BIBLE:

3:9 have that right. Paul consistently teaches that those who labor in the gospel deserve their wages (1 Cor. 9:6–18). Paul normally accepted support for his ministry, but when he feared his motives would be called into question, or when (as in Thessalonica) a strong example was needed for those who refused to work, Paul forsook his rights and would not accept compensation.

3:10 Apparently the problem of idleness had surfaced before Paul and his companions left the city. Even then they had felt it necessary to urge the “idle” to work (vv. 6, 11).

3:11 not busy at work, but busybodies. Without any business of their own, these idlers attended to the business of others.

Haha I am the worst person to talk about this part.

I know Barclay talked about the fact that Thessalonica had a problem with people just quitting their jobs so they could wait around for Jesus to return...like they just sat there way too amped up thinking the end was going to happen very very soon. So yeah some of these people who were "idle" probably did start getting into other people's business.

Columbia

by Columbia Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Looking at Courtney's post makes me wonder if the idea was to let the lazy ones get the message that Jesus might not come back before dinner! It may have went like, "Hey, get a job." Then, "What's the use? Jesus is coming back." Then, "Oh yeah? We'll see if He comes back before you starve to death." Then, "Whaaat?" Then, "That's right. The Apostle said if you guys refuse to work that we aren't to feed you anymore. Also that you are just going around causing trouble when you should be working." And so on and so forth. They might have gotten pretty hungry praying "maranatha" all day on an empty stomach. It's actually an ingenious tactic on the part of Paul. I heard John MacArthur talking about this. He was pretty clear about this not applying to everyone who is not employed. But I'll bet it worked beautifully in this situation. The busy bodies were no doubt surprised by this.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Well I had a normal avatar for too long time for a weird one again....

Paul was a great example here and worked instead of just living off donations. Its not totally related because Paul seems to be making a different point, but that makes me think of when something you might be passionate about might not be what puts food on the table. You can work other jobs but still also work on your passions. You might not be able to just be a missionary or an artist or musician...you might have to work other jobs too...where you work could be part of your mission field too and that's why God wants you there too.

cindyddavis

by cindyddavis Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:14 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:

It's crazy how easy it is to fall into depression just from your thoughts. We've all been there . Koodos to you for pushing through it and not drinking because of it! If you ever feel useless know that God is using you constantly in my life. Not only for your example of sobriety but also your knowledge of the Scriptures and your passion for this bible study. God is using you even though you may not always know it
cindyddavis

by cindyddavis Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:30 am

2 Thessalonians: 3. 5. May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance. -

In one of the commentaries I read it said we live in a time where there are more nervous breakdowns then ever. It's sad. Very sad. But I can see how it happens.
I apologize if I've shared this story before but it's the first thing I thought of.
The night before I went into rehab I came close to a nervous breakdown and even closer to suicide. I've never felt so low and helpless and scared and worthless in my life. I thought God left me. I was sure He left me. All I could do was srare at blank walls and cry. It's crazy the thoughts that ran through my head. I was convinced nothing would keep me sober and I would be like that for the rest of my life.
I went into the kitchen for something and as I was walking back to the living room pastor Ed, who is a pastor at one of the churches I had went to in the past, popped into my head. His church is just down the road from me. I drove our there as my last hope. He was there and was actually having open prayer. Go figure.
If I had nothing left to live for God would not have done that for me. I remember being numb sitting there while the pastor prayed over me. I remained numb as I drove home but peace slowly took over.
I try to keep this in mind when I feel down. I haven't experienced those feeling since and hope I never will again!
GloryRachelle3:5

by GloryRachelle3:5 Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:47 am

16 Now may the Lord himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.

I get angry, stressed, and irritated easily and typically it's nothing, really.
So, I have been working on staying in peace about stuff.
It is hard not to get mad at little things it seems like.
Even when I do get mad at something small then, I get irritated that I got mad in the first place.
I'm a perfectionist so that doesn't help because It has to be perfect and if it is not perfect I get mad.

I just need to keep reminding myself to keep my peace.
I now can come to this verse when I get mad and remind me that God is there with me and He is the peace.

I know I'm like two days late on this chapter/verse, but I am working on finding something to help me read the bible every day.
Hopefully, it's all good with me submitting this a couple days late, I just signed up for this-this morning.
Columbia

by Columbia Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Verse 3 is an inspiration to me. Us older Christians, who have seemingly been saved forever, go through the same stuff you younger brothers and sisters do. I need all the protection against the evil one I can get! And the faithful God who made me and keeps me in His hand is more than big enough to do that. In my family, I am the oldest of four siblings. One sister is two years younger. Then another sister, and my brother, are twelve years younger than me. They are twins. So giving protection is not foreign to me. Receiving protection is another matter. Believing I have protection is hard for me. The tendency is to stand on my own two feet.
The Lord taught me a valuable lesson the night before my wife and I married. We were in Manila looking for some shoes for my wife's dad to wear to the wedding. We found a suitable pair of shoes which my merchant wife paid wholesale price for. On our way out of that district a man charged me with a large chunk of cement held over his head. I quickly pushed my lady behind me and prepared to ram the man in the stomach with my head. My little 5' 90 pound sweetheart ran between the man and me before I realized what was happening. She pleaded with the man, in Tagalog, and he dropped the cement. The tiny little woman, who I can easily lift, was my protector that night. We married on schedule the following day with me wondering who was going to be protecting who. Since then I can cite several instances of absolute courageous acts by my wonderful wife. Great things come in small packages indeed! We have mutually protected each other throughout our marriage. So with one instance, as the early example, the Lord teaches me how to receive needed protection. Have I ever mentioned that my wife is also a prayer warrior?
As much as I am awed by my wife, the Lord deserves my awe much much more. I will be meditating more on the concept of being established by God. But for now I will pay attention to the many instances of God's protection in just one day. It's actually pretty phenomenal. Praise God.
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:59 am

A lot of people unhinge the discussion in chapter 3 from what was discussed in chapter 2 - but it goes hand-in-hand. Paul taught the understanding of what Jesus' return would look like. In this chapter we get the impression that he had to because people were making up stories about it that weren't Biblical and were disrupting and leeching off of the church. They don't seem to be willing to put the work in to gain the knowledge to help the church...

I believe this is still an issue in this day and age, especially in circles where people believe that they will not have to face the antichrist because they will be pulled off of the earth in a rapture before the antichrist ever shows up. I'm not sure, but it seems that the mentality is "Why should I study what will happen in the end times? I'm not going to be here." I simply don't believe this and haven't found where the Bible says that will happen. Other folks I've discussed it with have said, "Why should we study it? We don't know when it will happen, or whether we'll even be here. I mean, they thought Jesus was going to return in Paul's time, and He didn't." To me, this is the exact opposite logic of what is being taught in this letter to the Thessalonians. It might not happen in our time - but it might. Would it be better to be prepared for it, or unprepared, in the event that it did happen? If Paul believed it might happen in his time and made sure to prepare for it, why shouldn't we? The reason I get so adamant about it is that, to me, teaching a pre-tribulation rapture or that people don't have to worry about the tribulation at all because we don't know if it will happen in our time tells people "you don't have to worry about what the Bible says." My pastor would preach against other pastors that would teach "you don't have to worry about what the book of Revelation says, because you will be out of here before that in a rapture." It's dangerous to teach people that they don't have to study the Bible. I personally believe that Paul is preaching against that type of thinking in this chapter too.

I realize that some people get really freaked out by this subject, and I'm not here to scare anyone. I would rather try to learn and teach the truth about what will happen in the end days than to give people a comforting but fictitious story about it. God loves us and will not let anything come upon us that He doesn't believe that we can not handle (1 Corinthians 10:13). Let's take comfort in that and prepare for triumph because we are more than conquerors through Him.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
Return to Disciple Bible Study