Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

DANIEL CHAPTER 11

by Kevin Young Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:43 am

This week we will be discussing Daniel Chapter 11. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 11
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Texas Watchman

Re: DANIEL CHAPTER 11

by Texas Watchman Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:02 am

Its important to note, if your not aware, the introduction to chapter 11 is all of chapter 10. Chapter11 is an amazing chapter of what has been vs. 1-39 and what is to come vs. 40-45. When studying the tactics the past rulers there are stricking similarities to the same corrupt devices being deployed against us today. As Solomon said "there's nothing new under the sun". It is certain the same powers and principalities are still working against God and his elect. As children of the living God we have been given the heads up. We serve the omnipresent creator of all things. He alone has reserved the power of creation, thus leaving the enemies of our soul with the same old bag of tricks.
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. -Ps 119:11
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:52 am

I'll be posting more hopefully on the weekend, but I personally believe that this chapter is what Paul was teaching from in 2 Thessalonians 2, which we just read last week.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 am

My Bible tracks verses 1-20 as being history, history even when Jesus walked the earth. But 21 onward is future even for us. There is talk in verses 1-20 of kingdoms and wars. Jesus summed this up in His end times speech by saying, "And you shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that you do not get troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of [birth pangs] (Matthew 24:6-8)."

But when there are no more wars, then you have peace. World peace. And that is pretty much how the antichrist is noted by this prophecy given to Daniel to operate.

And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries.
~Daniel 11:21

He shall enter peaceably even upon the fattest places of the province; and he shall do that which his fathers have not done, nor his fathers' fathers; he shall scatter among them the prey, and spoil, and riches: yea, and he shall forecast his devices against the strong holds, even for a time.
~Daniel 11:24

And even after this happens in Daniel we have a two-verse passage that talks of wars and rumours of wars, and notes that the end is not yet:

Yes, they that feed of the portion of his meat shall destroy him, and his army shall overflow: and many shall fall down slain[wars]. And both these kings' hearts shall be to do mischief, and they shall speak lies at one table [rumours of wars]; but it shall not prosper: for yet the end shall be at the time appointed.
~Daniel 11:26-27

And you shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that you do not get troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
~Matthew 24:6

The messenger also speaks of "them that forsake the holy covenant" in verse 30. I believe this is where we start into what Paul is discussing in 2 Thessalonians 2. I believe these are the people he describes in the "falling away" ("apostasy" in the Greek) in 2 Thessalonians 2:3 - those whom the false prophets have deceived in Matthew 24:11.

Then we see without a doubt the culminating event that Paul describes in 2 Thessalonians 2, and which Jesus spoke of by name, referencing Daniel:

And forces shall be mustered by him, and they shall defile the sanctuary fortress; then they shall take away the daily sacrifices, and place there the abomination of desolation.
~Daniel 11:31

Verses 32 to 39 describe exactly what Paul was warning of in 2 Thessalonians 2. And we also see those who are allowed to believe the lie in verse 32, because they didn't love the truth. But verses 33-35 speak of those who believe the truth, and who will do mighty things to stand against the antichrist - not to be raptured out, but to put on the armour of God, stand, and fight.

All of this happens before the call of the archangel, and the return of the Lord, which we see in the next chapter.

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:41 am

My focus and concentration is way out of whack right now, and this chapter is kind of long so I've had trouble reading it. I'll just post what some of my usual go-to's say about it.

Just because I post these doesn't mean I 100% agree with them...I don't 100% agree with any one person on earth because I don't rely on people's opinions on these for my beliefs on scriptures. Not parents, not preachers, not Christian bands, no one. So if you don't agree, well that's nice but go take it up with them.

Both of these focus more on past events for us it seems like.....

Matthew Henry's Commentary intro for Chap 11:
The angel Gabriel, in this chapter, performs his promise made to Daniel in the foregoing chapter, that he would “show him what should befal his people in the latter days,” according to that which was “written in the scriptures of truth:” very particularly does he here foretel the succession of the kings of Persia and Grecia, and the affairs of their kingdoms, especially the mischief which Antiochus Epiphanes did in his time to the church, which was foretold before (Dan. 8:11-12). Here is,

I. A brief prediction of the setting up of the Grecian monarchy upon the ruins of the Persian monarchy, which was now newly begun, Dan. 11:1-4.
II. A prediction of the affairs of the two kingdoms of Egypt and Syria, with reference to each other, Dan. 11:5-20.
III. Of the rise of Antiochus Epiphanes, and his actions and successes, Dan. 11:21-29.
IV. Of the great mischief that he should do to the Jewish nation and religion, and his contempt of all religion, Dan. 11:30-39. V. Of his fall and ruin at last, when he is in the heat of his pursuit, Dan. 11:40-45.

Reformation Study Bible

11:1 in the first year of Darius the Mede.
Two years earlier (10:1 note) the angel who was speaking to Daniel had given assistance to Michael (10:13 note), perhaps in connection with the Persian decree to permit the Jews to return to their homeland.

11:2–12:4
The revelation given to Daniel in 11:2–12:4 is in three parts: 11:2–20 depicts Near Eastern history from the time of Daniel until the time of Antiochus IV Epiphanes; 11:21–35 describes the rule of Antiochus IV; and 11:36–12:4 apparently describes the time of the Antichrist.

11:2 three more kings. They are Cambyses, 529–523 b.c.; Pseudo-Smerdis (Gaumata), 523–522 b.c.; and Darius I, 522–486 b.c.

a fourth. Xerxes I, 485–464 b.c., known in the Old Testament as Ahasuerus.

11:3 a mighty king shall arise. Alexander the Great, 336–323 b.c. See notes 7:6; 8:5, 8.

11:5 the king of the south. Ptolemy I Soter, 322–285 b.c.

one of his princes. Seleucus I Nicator, 312–280 b.c. Seleucus broke with Ptolemy, became king of Babylon, and controlled territories from the Indus River in the east to Syria in the west.

11:6–20
These verses contain detailed predictions of relations between the king of the North (the Seleucid kingdom) and the king of the South (the Ptolemaic kingdom). The section concerns events involving Laodice and Berenice (vv. 6–9), the career of Antiochus III (vv. 10–19), and the reign of Seleucus IV (v. 20).

11:6 the daughter of the king. Berenice, the daughter of Ptolemy II Philadelphus, 285–246 b.c.

to make an agreement. This is a marriage alliance (about 250 b.c.) between Antiochus II Theos (261–246 b.c.) of Syria and Ptolemy II of Egypt.

he and his arm shall not endure. Laodice, the former wife of Antiochus II, led a conspiracy that resulted in the death by poisoning of Berenice, Antiochus II, and their infant son.

11:7 a branch from her roots. Ptolemy III Euergetes, 246–221 b.c., the brother of Berenice (v. 6 note).

enter the fortress. Ptolemy III attacked the Seleucid kingdom, executed Laodice (v. 6 note), and returned to Egypt with considerable booty.

11:9 the latter. Seleucus II Callinicus (246–226 b.c.), the son of Laodice, led an unsuccessful campaign against the Ptolemaic kingdom in 240 b.c.

11:10 His sons. Seleucus III Ceraunus, 226–223 b.c.; Antiochus III the Great, 223–187 b.c.

shall wage war. Antiochus III began to fight against the Ptolemies in 219 b.c. and for a time gained control of Palestine and western Syria.

his fortress. This probably refers to Raphia, a Ptolemaic fortress in southern Palestine, where a major battle was fought in 217 b.c.

11:11 the king of the south. Ptolemy IV Philopator, 221–203 b.c.

with the king of the north. Antiochus III. Antiochus suffered great losses, over 14,000 men, at the battle of Raphia in 217 b.c.

11:13 the king of the north. In alliance with Philip V of Macedon, Antiochus III raised an even larger army to invade the Ptolemaic kingdom. Ptolemy IV died under mysterious circumstances and was succeeded by Ptolemy V Epiphanes, 203–181 b.c., his four-year-old son.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:46 am

Reformation Study Bible:

11:15 take a well-fortified city. The victory of Antiochus III over the Egyptian general Scopas at Sidon in 198 b.c. marked the end of Ptolemaic rule in Palestine.

11:17 it shall not stand or be to his advantage. After Cleopatra was given in marriage to Ptolemy V by her father Antiochus III, she aligned herself with the Egyptian cause, seeking Roman help against her father’s attempt to take coastal cities in Asia Minor that were controlled by Egypt.

11:18 a commander.
The Roman general Lucius Cornelius Scipio, who defeated Antiochus III in several battles and forced him to cede Asia Minor to Roman control (the Peace of Apamea, 188 b.c.). At this time the second son of Antiochus III, who became Antiochus IV Epiphanes, was taken hostage to Rome.

11:20 in his place one. Seleucus IV Philopator, 187–175 b.c. (the older son of Antiochus III).

tribute for the glory of the kingdom. For an account of Heliodorus’s attempt to collect these taxes for Seleucus, see 2 Macc. 3:7–40.

11:21 a contemptible person. Antiochus IV Epiphanes (175–164 b.c.), who was not the legitimate successor of his brother Seleucus IV, since Seleucus IV had a son. See notes 8:9–14.

11:22 even the prince of the covenant. Perhaps this is a reference to the assassination in 171 b.c. of the high priest Onias III by supporters of Antiochus IV based in Jerusalem (see 2 Macc. 4:32–43).

11:25 the king of the south. Ptolemy VI Philometor, 181–146 b.c., son of Ptolemy V and Cleopatra, and the nephew of Antiochus (v. 17 note).

he shall not stand. Antiochus IV defeated Ptolemy VI at Pelusium, on the border of Egypt (cf. 1 Macc. 1:16–19).

11:28 he shall return . . . his heart shall be set against the holy covenant. In response to intrigues in Jerusalem against his supporters, Antiochus IV plundered the temple when he returned from Egypt to Syrian Antioch (cf. 1 Macc. 1:20–28).

11:29 into the south. Antiochus IV invaded Egypt again in 168 b.c.

11:30 ships of Kittim shall come. Roman armies under Gaius Popilius Laenas forced Antiochus IV to retreat from Egypt.

take action against the holy covenant. Antiochus IV determined to exterminate Jewish religion. See note 8:11.

11:31 the abomination that makes desolate. The desecration of the temple in December, 168 b.c. by Antiochus IV (cf. 1 Macc. 1:54, 59; 2 Macc. 6:2). See notes 8:11; 9:27; 12:11.

11:32 the people who know their God. Daniel speaks of those who opposed the Hellenizers and were ready to die for their faith (1 Macc. 1:60–63).

11:34 they shall receive a little help. Possibly this is a reference to Mattathias, an elderly priest, and his five sons (John, Simon, Judas, Eleazar, and Jonathan) who waged a guerrilla war against the forced hellenization of the Jews. Mattathias died in 166 b.c. His sons, known as the Maccabees, carried on the struggle. Victory was achieved under Judas Maccabeus in December, 164 b.c., when the temple was cleansed and daily sacrifices were restored (1 Macc. 4:36–39).

11:36–12:3 Certain details in 11:36–12:3 cannot be harmonized with the events surrounding the death of Antiochus IV. For this reason some interpreters understand these verses to describe the Antichrist, who like Antiochus IV will persecute God’s people just prior to the Second Advent of Christ (cf. 12:1–3). These verses describe the character of the Antichrist, his activities, and the destiny of God’s people. This understanding requires a time interval between the events depicted in 11:21–35 and those in 11:36–12:3. Consequently, other interpreters have understood vv. 36–39 as a summary of Antiochus’s religious policies; vv. 40–45 as a description of how his ambition leads to his defeat; and 12:1–3 as an anticipation of his defeat. The anticipated invasion of the Holy Land may be presented as a parallel to Nebuchadnezzar’s earlier invasion, using the names of the nations of that time, sparing Israel’s old enemies (v. 41), and climaxing in the anticipated defeat of Egypt itself (vv. 42, 43; cf. Ezek. 29). At his proudest moment Antiochus is destroyed at Mount Zion in the heart of the Holy Land (vv. 44, 45). Antiochus’s defeat in 12:1–3 is described in terms of the absolute end of history. Because the prophecies in 11:40–12:3 have not been fulfilled historically, it is difficult to discern how literal or metaphorical they are, and their interpretation must be speculative. The interpretation that the future Antichrist is in view will be followed in the remaining notes.

11:36 till the indignation is accomplished. Just as with Antiochus IV (8:17 note; 11:35), the time of persecution is subject to God’s control.

11:40 At the time of the end. Here “end” carries an eschatological sense and refers to the end of this present age (8:17 note).

11:45 his end. See Joel 3; Zech. 14:1–4; 2 Thess. 2:8; Rev. 16:13–16; 19:11–21.

bandmonkey08

by bandmonkey08 Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:10 pm

“The king will do as he pleases, exalting himself and claiming to be greater than every god, even blaspheming the God of gods. He will succeed, but only until the time of wrath is completed. For what has been determined will surely take place.

while reading this whole chapter there were two things that struck me:

1. this verse is so much like what people who belong to the world today are like, they do everything for themselves and live for their own pleasure.
it can be the hardest when working with these kinds of people 40+ hours a week... my heart aches for them because they can't even see what they are doing and when advice is offered, they scoff and jest.
BUT... what God has determined will surely take place.
you guys.
SOVEREIGNTY.

God is in control.
just think about it for a second.

2. the second thing that struck me (which i usually end up in awe of while reading any of the OT prophets) is how much and how clear God reveals Himself and His plans to the people and the prophet(s). He's a God who not only knows us intricately, but He also wants to be known in DETAIL.

blowing my mind.
~Liz

"i choose to be alive
especially because the
odds say i should die"
-lacey sturm

We are the Alliance:
http://www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:17 am

I really like your post, Liz. It reminds me of two other passages that tell us that God wants us to know His plan.

The first is when Jesus is teaching the four fishermen disciples what will happen in the end times; He says, "...false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect. But you take heed: behold, I have foretold you all things (Mark 13:22-23)." The plan has been laid out in detail for anyone who wants to know.

The second passage is what I believe to be a spiritual decoding of what some of the offerings and sacrifices were actually meant to represent from the law that Moses gave to the people. "For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings (Hosea 6:6)."

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Forgive my grim thoughts...I watch Discovery ID and forensic filed a lot....it's amazing what people will do for money and "riches"....so many people perfectly willing to kill for money and the chance to live it up without working....KILLING THEIR SPOUSES FOR MONEY! Not even enough money to live on for a long time usually. Killing people for even small amounts of money.

That is being a slave to money....when you can toss love aside if it was ever there...toss aside something that is eternal and everlasting for something temporary and fleeting and worthless...because money is worthless it only has value because we say it has value...and even that could vanish overnight if the right circumstances happened

Return to Disciple Bible Study