Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

DANIEL CHAPTER 10

by Kevin Young Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:54 pm

This week we will be discussing Daniel Chapter 10. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 10
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: DANIEL CHAPTER 10

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:23 pm

2 At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. 3 I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.

Oh noes! no lotion sounds terrible lol

"She ate no choice pizza, and no sheep doodles were drawn from her hands" XD

Dude can you imagine being called highly esteemed? I imagine if it was me the man rolling his eyes and being like "okay you little freak get over here and listen, don't space out again" lol.

The descriptive words are always interesting, and always similar to other books.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
AshlynBracewell

by AshlynBracewell Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:10 pm

My favorite passage was Daniel 10:17-19. Daniel was really weak due to his fasting and couldn't even muster a word to speak to the {angel} dude. But the man in the vision was super awesome and just gave him strength. We look for so many ways to gain strength in our daily lives, but just like Daniel asked (not directly) this guy for strenth, we can directly ask God for strength and it will be granted! God answers our prayers, especially when we were desperate for Him, which Daniel was really desperate at that time to even simply breathe. I think that Daniel 11 will help to tie in what the man in the vision wants to tell Daniel because the party doesn't stop at the end of chapter 10!
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:08 pm

I keep getting Creed's song "faceless man" stuck in my head when I open this chapter lol

I love how like Jesus and any heavenly being will say things like don't be afraid, be strong, fear not, and peace. I'm kind a dork and cry at those parts a lot when I'm doing my own bible reading.

11 And he said to me, “O Daniel, man greatly loved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for now I have been sent to you.” And when he had spoken this word to me, I stood up trembling.

18 Again one having the appearance of a man touched me and strengthened me. 19 And he said, “O man greatly loved, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage.”

Just a cool vision seeing how the man was like "you have to get up" like you have to keep going when Daniel was weak and struggling there. Makes me think of all those times that seemed unbearable to continue and I wanted to give up, but I couldn't give up...I had to keep going. And sometimes we do have to struggle a bit and try to stand up on weak legs, but God also gives us strength when we need it too.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:28 am

This chapter is the introduction to the most in-depth prophecy in Daniel yet. Notice that the description of the man (v.5-6) is remarkably similar to the description that John gives of Jesus in Revelation chapter 1.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
barn43

by barn43 Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:48 pm

My favorite verse is 12: "Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.

This is my verse because so many times we wonder if your prayers/words are getting through and we assume if there is a delay in our presumed answer, that perhaps God is not listening. This verse helps Daniel find comfort, that his words were heard on the very first day even if the response took 21 days. The man in the vision explained to Daniel that he acknowledged his fasting and humility. Furter explaining his delay in getting to him. Even though we don't always deserve an explanation for a delay, God's timing is always better than our own.

Challenge: who is the man in the vision? Gabriel? Just going by the history of Gabriel being the messanger and Michael being the warrior...
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:00 am

Many believe it to be Gabriel - Daniel is not specific here, where he was in chapter 9. However, by the description (almost identical to Christ in Revelation 1) and the fact that Daniel keeps calling him "my lord" makes me wonder if it isn't Christ Himself. The only thing here that would make me think that it isn't is the fact that the "prince of Persia" (Satan) "withstood" him 21 days. But I don't take this to necessarily mean that Satan prevented the man from coming through force. Maybe it was through argument, which we know that Satan is prone to use, and God does allow and take part in. Look at the example of God and Satan in the book of Job, or the fact that Jesus underwent 40 days of temptation (argument with the devil) in the wilderness. I would not discount that it could be Christ that is speaking to Daniel in chapter 10.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
Return to Disciple Bible Study