Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 5

by Kevin Young Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:58 am

This week we will be discussing 1 Thessalonians Chapter 5. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 5
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 5

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:49 am

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Its amazing how much peace doing those 3 things can give you. And they are all really hard to keep up with all the time. I'm glad Paul used that Rejoice word again I needed it. Been battling some wicked depression and I can not stop feeling like a useless worthless piece of garbage. But its true, joy is still here because its not dependent on how I feel...its dependent on Christ and Christ is forever. And there is always stuff to be thankful for because even if you have nothing on this earth as your own...you still have Christ who doesn't rot and decay like objects of wealth do.

Like I've said...you could have all the wealth in the world and have nothing if you don't have God...but you could have nothing at all in your possession but the clothes on your back and have everything because you have God.

I read a whole bunch of Revelation commentary last night so my brain is kind of fried lol.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:05 am

Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers,[a] you have no need to have anything written to you. 2 For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. 4 But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief. 5 For you are all children[b] of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness. 6 So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

From William Barclay:

We shall not fully understand the New Testament pictures of the Second Coming unless we remember that they have an Old Testament background. In the Old Testament the conception of the Day of the Lord is very common; and all the pictures and apparatus which belong to the Day of the Lord have been attached to the Second Coming. To the Jew all time was divided into two ages. There was the present age which was wholly and incurably bad. There was the age to come which would be the golden age of God. In between there was the Day of the Lord, which would be a terrible day. It would be a day in which one world was shattered and another born.

Many of the most terrible pictures in the Old Testament are of the Day of the Lord (Isa 22:5; 13:9...Zeph 1:14-16; Amos 5:18; Jer 30:7; Mal 4:1; Joel 2:31). Its main characteristics were:

1. it would come suddenly and unexpectantly
2. it would involve a cosmic upheaval in which the universe was shaken to its very foundation
3. it would be a time of judgment

Very naturally the New Testament writers to all intents and purposes identified the Day of the Lord with the day of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. We will do well to remember that these are what we might call stock pictures. They are not meant to be taken literally. They are pictorial visions of what would happen when Go broke into time.

Naturally men were anxious to know when that day would come. Jesus himself had bluntly said that no man knew when that day or hour would be3, that even he did not know and only God knew (Mark 13:32; cp. Matt 24:36; Acts 1:7). But that did not stop people speculating about it, as indeed they still do, although it is surely almost blaphemous that man should seek for knowledge which was denied even to Jesus.

He repeats that the coming of the day will be sudden. It will come like a thief in the night. But he also insists that that is no reason why a man should be caught unawares. It is only the man who lives in the dark and whose deeds are evil who will be caught unprepared. The Christian lives in the light and no matter when the day comes, if he is watchful and sober, it will find him ready. Waking or sleeping, the Christian is living already with Christ is therefore always prepared.

No man knows when God's call will come for him and there are certain things that cannot be left until the last moment. It is too late to prepare for an examination when the examination paper is before you. It is too late to make the house secure when the storm has burst. When Queen Mary of Orange was dying, her chaplain wished to read to her. She answered, "I have not left this matter till this hour." It was similar with an old Scotsman to whom someone offered comforting sayings near the end. The old man's reply was, "Ah theekit (thatched) ma hoose when the weather was warm." If a call comes suddenly, it need not find us unprepared. The man who has lived all his life with Christ is never unprepared to enter his nearer presence.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:15 am

For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:9‭-‬11 NIV

I love the emphasis on encouragement right here. I tend to get lost in the fact that I keep messing up and I really don't deserve to live with God; I rarely make the connection that everyone else is in the same boat. Encouragement can really make or break a life. It just needs to be the proper kind of encouragement.

As a kid, my dad "encouraged me" by telling me that my friends and brother were better behaved every time I did something wrong. There's the root of my perfectionism. Since then, I've gotten used to another type of encouragement where people tend to say, "No, you're great! You can do it!" every time I point out one of my flaws or insecurities. That's much better, but I still have that voice telling me those comments are lies.

It's not until I pointed out one of my flaws to my best friend at camp and he responded, "Yeah, I've noticed that about you" that I really understood true encouragement. After he agreed that I'm basically a terrible person, he followed it up by saying, "Since you know that, you can accept it, then you can better yourself."

True encouragement doesn't deny that there's a problem; it offers advice to overcome the problem.

And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
1 Thessalonians 5:14‭-‬15 NIV

This sounds like babysitting and camp life. I desperately need to take what I've learned from being around kiddos and apply it spiritually.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not treat prophecies with contempt but test them all; hold on to what is good, reject every kind of evil.
1 Thessalonians 5:16‭-‬22 NIV

I love all these little tidbit verses! They're little keys for life.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
savedandmadenew

by savedandmadenew Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:06 am

Greetings from Arizona! I have been saved and made new (hence the name) lol

So, in response to reading 1 Thessalonians Chapter 5, I had some questions; Seeking help.

Well, verse 17: "Pray without ceasing." Does Paul write this as a literal sense like I should pray without stopping in prayer until I say Amen? Or does Paul write this as in never stop praying? Just curious. Perhaps it could mean both. I practice both either way, but just looking for clarity.

Also, can someone explain in further detail what it means in verse 21: "But test everything; Hold fast what is good." ?
My bible is a NIV I believe, "Placed by The Gideons" People often tell me its the bible you find in the drawers of most hotel rooms. Which I think is just fascinating to be honest. What a awesome way to spread the word. Amen. God bless The Gideons. Amen

Oh! One more thing. As I read verse 11, "Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." I just thought of Proverbs 27: 17 which states, "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." Thanks Brothers/Sisters! God Is With You. Jesus Cristo es con tu !
We have been saved and made new.
Columbia

by Columbia Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:12 pm

"Do not despise prophecies" is often quoted by those persons and groups of persons who claim to have a word from the Lord. However, this is not a strand-alone verse. It is actually part of a complete statement. Because the traditional chapter and verse divisions bring this statement out as verse 20, there exists a tendency to present this statement as authoritative without qualification. Verse 21 actually completes this partial sentence with, "but test everything;hold fast what is good." This changes the understanding of verse 20. Verse 21 must be kept in unison with verse 20. We are not to just write off any and all prophecies. Especially the prophecies of Scripture. Neither are we to just accept any and all extra-biblical prophecies as if they are authentic. We are to "test everything." When approached by someone who claims to have a prophecy the first question to ask is whether it contradicts the Bible. A good second consideration is to determine how it relates with the gospel. Next, does it glorify God? Finally, can it be tried by details unknown to the presenter of the prophecy? - Can it be weighed by specifics within the prophecy that will determine whether it is true? Many "safe" prophecies are given that cannot be tested. If a prophecy is real, it will not only be true. It will also be biblicaly sound. It will somehow relate to the dynamics of the true gospel of Jesus Christ. And it will always glorify God. A common mistake is to test a prophecy according to how "edifying" it may be. Consider Nathan's prophecy to David about David's sin with Bathsheba: Do you honestly think it was edifying? The correct answer is, no. It was convicting. It was true. The revelation of David's sin did not contradict Scripture. It glorified God while shutting down David in his arrogance. This prophecy was certainly not safe. Nathan could have been killed or otherwise punished and discredited. Prophecy is a tricky subject across denominational lines. But if a prophecy is "good," we should hold fast to it.
barn43

by barn43 Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16‭-‬18 NLT

As Christians I think these are crucial to the way we conduct ourselves so that others will see Christ in us and hopefully we can have an opportunity to share the Gospel with them.
jy_nm

by jy_nm Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi, my name is Jyryx, and I've been seeing this Bible Study for a for a while and only this time that I get to share my devotion in this kind of manner that I adopted from our church so I hope I get to encourage you guys! Here we go!

Scripture: Thessalonians 5

Observation:
Apostle Paul wants to remind us and to remind ourselves our position in Christ. We are in the last days and I believe that Jesus will return for us soon, so the enemy will try everything in his will to question our faith, to question God's love for us. Satan will use theories, philosophies and conspiracies of this world to drift us away from the Truth - that God loves us by sending Jesus Christ for us as a substitute to die on the cross for our sins, and through His resurrection, we can be saved by Grace through faith.

And as who are in Christ, let's do our best to encourage and pray for one another for we are not a no man's an island but a body and Jesus is the head, we may have many parts in His ministry but one cannot perform alone to do the task at hand. There are still many more soul who are in dying need this gospel and this love that we are already professing. As Jesus said, 'Let you light shine before men...' Let your life be a living testimony to others as people will read you first before the Bible, its not how many verse you know (although that is important as you grow spiritually), but how you meditate and live out a simple verse that makes the difference. Knowing that it's God who moves through you that leads a person to encounter Jesus, gives us the freedom to simply live for God and not for people. Remember that what we are doing for God will not be in vain and His reward for us will come in due time. Be strong in the LORD!

Application:
I believe and declare that nothing can separate us from God's love for us and through Him we have the strength to do all things for His glory, we need each other to encourage and straighten one another so that through Him, we can reach out to more souls who are thirsty for the Truth. As per the band, we are the rebels who defy the norms of society and refuse to be another face in the crowd that follows the cycle of this life. So Let's be firm with what we believe in and let that live out towards others.

Prayer:
I pray that everyone of us can reach out to someone and they might know Jesus and have a relationship with Him and may this platform be a empowerment for us to go out and do what we were intended to do. In Jesus name. Amen!
buck

by buck Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:44 am

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in ALL circumstances for this is Gods will for you in Christ Jesus.

This is my favorite passage and at the same time the challenge to give thanks in ALL circumstances. No problem when things are going good/your way. But when news comes along in the name of cancer, divorce,tragedy, or just a bad day we are not so thankful. I believe in America we expect much and dont realize how thankful we should be.

I love the opening in this chapter.."now brothers and sisters about times and dates we do not need to wrie to you for you KNOW VERY WELL that the day of the Lord will come...
and thats all that Truly matters He is coming back. the day of the Lord will come. Yet much of the church has got caught up in spending money and debating how it will take place from the"thief in the night" from the 60's to the Left Behind series. Why dont we just agree Hes coming back and live in such way that leads people to ask us about Him (and His return)

and in verse 19 Do Not quench the Spirit.
"the Spirit is life itself when Paul writes, "do not quench the Spirit" he is saying Do not quench life. Reverence fro life is synonymous with reverence for the Father, the source of life. Human life is incomparably sacred because it mirrors divine life as no other life can."- Brennan Manning
JustineM

by JustineM Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:58 am

I have so enjoyed reading through and pondering over 1 Thessalonians these last weeks! Paul offers so much encouragement to the Thessalonians for times of spiritual growth and also times of hardship and doubt. It just reminds me that God is consistent and never-changing and that what He gives us sees us through every step of our lives! v.24 What an awesome God He is!! What blesses me most through this chapter and the last is the beautiful Hope we have in Christ! We are reminded in verses 9-11 of all He has done for us and all He will do. It is the hope of His returning and our eternal life with Him that sees us through our lives on earth! It is the incentive for striving to be like Him and for loving all people in our world so that all can see Him through us! It is why we try to obey our Heavenly Father so that we may be who He wants us to be, and then are able to serve Him in all ways that He needs us to! v.12-22.
v.1-8 reminds us that we should be daily surrendering to the Holy Spirit, working for the Lord v.12-14 because we need to be ready for the day the Lord returns, even more so because we don't know when it will be.... if we are children of God, we have been told and know it will happen. Thank goodness we won't be caught by total surprise, as those who are sleeping! We need to keep this in front of us daily. It is our constant hope! These verses point back to the glorious Hope of chapter 4:13-18. Our joy comes from this hope! The victory is won, and what a wonderful thought that at the trumpet call of Christ, the dead will rise and the believers among them will be caught up with Christ in the air with the believers who are yet living. How I cannot wait for that day! But, how much more it reminds me of what there is to accomplish for God here first!
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 is etched on my parents' tombstone. My mother died when I was 26, and my father when I was 31. They were an irreplaceable example to me and my sisters of God's love, mercy, and grace. I am so glad that I know that they are now in Heaven! What a wonderful testimony and reminder it is for all who walk by their headstone of the Hope we have in our Precious Savior!! As I continue to read the Bible, I am so thankful to Almighty God for His wonderful words of life, penned through the hands of those who were so faithful to Him! I am reminded how important it is for me to read them continually. Paul again reminds us here, in 1 Thess. 5:8 of God's protection offered us through faith, love, and salvation. We can walk with the Lord, in the day, in the light, without fear, keeping out of the darkness!! Eph. 6:10-20
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:43 am

For a person who is fascinated with end times prophecy, and who doesn't believe in pre-tribulation rapture theory (I simply haven't seen where the Bible says it will happen), there are so many cool things in this chapter.

The chapter begins with Paul asserting that he doesn't have to explain to the Thessalonians what will happen in the end days. I believe that's because he had already given them these Bible lessons when he was with them in person. That's what he says in the next letter:

Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day [i.e. the day of Christ's return] will not come unless the falling away [i.e. the great apostasy] comes first, and the man of sin [i.e. the antichrist] is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself [claiming] that he is God.

Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things?
~2 Thessalonians 2:3-5

For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
~1 Thessalonians 5:3

This cry of "peace and safety" has also been discussed numerous times in the Old Testament. It is the cry of false prophecy. It is the beast of Revelation against which no one believes that any could make war (when there is no war, there is peace):

So they worshiped the dragon who gave authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with him?”
~Revelation 13:4

It is also how the antichrist destroys many souls, as we just read in Daniel.

And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people. And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision [i.e. "roll up and put away the scroll for now"]; for it shall be for many days [i.e. "it will not happen for a long time yet"].
~Daniel 8:23-26

The vision of the evening (night) and the morning (day) is what Paul discusses from verses 5 to 10. He also refers to the armour of God in verse 8. What did he tell the Ephesians that the armour of God was for? To run away from battle when it comes? No way. To stand. To stand and fight.

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
~Ephesians 6:13

I get so pumped when I read about this stuff. What an honour it would be to be chosen to stand against the antichrist.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
Columbia

by Columbia Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:05 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:For a person who is fascinated with end times prophecy, and who doesn't believe in pre-tribulation rapture theory (I simply haven't seen where the Bible says it will happen), there are so many cool things in this chapter.

The chapter begins with Paul asserting that he doesn't have to explain to the Thessalonians what will happen in the end days. I believe that's because he had already given them these Bible lessons when he was with them in person. That's what he says in the next letter:

Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day [i.e. the day of Christ's return] will not come unless the falling away [i.e. the great apostasy] comes first, and the man of sin [i.e. the antichrist] is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself [claiming] that he is God.

Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things?
~2 Thessalonians 2:3-5

Hey Lapping, you presented an excellent example of the cohesiveness of the Scripture! Thanks. As for the placement of the rapture, I have gone from pre to mid to post-tribulation views. You can "prove" any of them from the Bible's text. Finally determined that the Bible is an eternal writing so time issues are sometimes swallowed up in eternity. (That cost me a pastoral position because I was required to sign that I believed and would only ever teach a pretribulation rapture. Didn't sign although I was told many who felt as I did signed in order to get onto the ministry! Makes you wonder how many liars there are behind pulpits!) Nail on the head: We are not to be as concerned with the when as we are with the fact of the certain return of Christ. That means always be ready. I would rather be spiritually prepared to go through anything and be mistaken than to not be prepared and to be mistaken. Okay, now I'm getting preachy cleaver. Time to go. Thanks again for demonstrating the unison among the books of the Bible.

For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
~1 Thessalonians 5:3

This cry of "peace and safety" has also been discussed numerous times in the Old Testament. It is the cry of false prophecy. It is the beast of Revelation against which no one believes that any could make war (when there is no war, there is peace):

So they worshiped the dragon who gave authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with him?”
~Revelation 13:4

It is also how the antichrist destroys many souls, as we just read in Daniel.

And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people. And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: wherefore shut thou up the vision [i.e. "roll up and put away the scroll for now"]; for it shall be for many days [i.e. "it will not happen for a long time yet"].
~Daniel 8:23-26

The vision of the evening (night) and the morning (day) is what Paul discusses from verses 5 to 10. He also refers to the armour of God in verse 8. What did he tell the Ephesians that the armour of God was for? To run away from battle when it comes? No way. To stand. To stand and fight.

Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
~Ephesians 6:13

I get so pumped when I read about this stuff. What an honour it would be to be chosen to stand against the antichrist.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:58 am

Columbia wrote:Hey Lapping, you presented an excellent example of the cohesiveness of the Scripture! Thanks. As for the placement of the rapture, I have gone from pre to mid to post-tribulation views. You can "prove" any of them from the Bible's text. Finally determined that the Bible is an eternal writing so time issues are sometimes swallowed up in eternity. (That cost me a pastoral position because I was required to sign that I believed and would only ever teach a pretribulation rapture. Didn't sign although I was told many who felt as I did signed in order to get onto the ministry! Makes you wonder how many liars there are behind pulpits!) Nail on the head: We are not to be as concerned with the when as we are with the fact of the certain return of Christ. That means always be ready. I would rather be spiritually prepared to go through anything and be mistaken than to not be prepared and to be mistaken. Okay, now I'm getting preachy cleaver. Time to go. Thanks again for demonstrating the unison among the books of the Bible.

That's good way of putting it!

I'm reading 2 Revelation commentaries that are kind of opposing. Its funny because one will say "You're crazy if you believe this" and then the other will believe that lol.

One really cool thing Coffman said about Rev 16:16 was why would God need an army? He's God, he doesn't need an army. He believes that the battle of Armagedden is symbolic of the spiritual battle in the hearts of men..."the final struggle between the powers of evil and the kingdom of God. (that part is George Eldon Ladd actually) And where is any such place if it is not in the hearts of men"

"Remember who God is. He needs no army"

I just loved what Coffman said there. That's a cool thing to think about when you feel overpowered by temptation or just feel like everything is out of your control...that God doesn't need an army to conquer and have his will done...He's God, he needs no army, he will always reign and his will is always going be done.

Anyway I just loved that God needs no army line he said.

navygirl78

by navygirl78 Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:34 am

He's God he needs no army......love that

This chapter reminds me of how God requests such easy things from us and yet, they are the hardest for us to do in the flesh.

6 Rejoice always!
17 Pray constantly.
18 Give thanks in everything,
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Don’t stifle the Spirit.
20 Don’t despise prophecies,
21 but test all things.
Hold on to what is good.
22 Stay away from every kind of evil.

I think of times i was watching a TV show that maybe I shouldn't be (supernatural junkie) and I am in essence stifling the Spirit and not holding onto what is good. Filling myself with things that are not God based. There are plenty of times when we do not give the Thanksgiving HE deserves. All this said this chapter has loads of encouragement to those who love Christ. But, you brothers are NOT in the dark and we have His armor to protect us. We just do not put it on. ;)
cindyddavis

by cindyddavis Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:46 am

1 Thessalonians: 5. 16. Rejoice always, 17. pray continually, 18. give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 19. Do not quench the Spirit. 20. Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21. but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22. reject every kind of evil. - Bible Offline

"Do not quench the Spirit"
Since I've been back from rehab I've struggled a lot with my faith and with what my purpose is and where I need to be. I was so depressed the first few weeks. I didn't want to be home and I came very close to going back to Florida which would have been a disaster for many reasons. I didn't pray, didn't go to church, did nothing to help with staying sober. Finally.. I was going through some stuff and found a book called 40 days in Jesus cafe so I started reading it every morning. Then one of my friends gave me a Bible study book that I started doing too. Then I came across my celebrate recovery Bible and started reading it every morning. I started doing my 12 steps again also started getting involved in this Bible study again. Slowly I started feeling happy again. I still hadn't decided on what church to go to and actually started praying about it, which is not something i normally do because I think I know more then God... Not only did God put me in the right church He also has lead me to help with youth group. As needy of a person as I am I don't work well with needy teens so the fact that I even considered doing youth group is definitely the Holy Spirit leading me. It's been quite a blessing. I have really enjoyed working with these kids and found that because of my past experiences I can really relate to a lot of what they are going through. Since all of this I've really learned to listen to the Holy Spirit. It's really easy to "quench" the Spirit when your feeling led to do something you really don't want to do. For me, if I hadn't finally listen I would probably be drinking again.
Omega

by Omega Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:36 am

9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

This passage really stuck out to me, in that, I feel that it is a good reminder of what Christ has done for all of us. "For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath" - God appointed us, He chose us, out of all of the people in the world He chose us. I mean, if you think about it, everyone is a child of God, but not everyone has a relationship with God. God chose us to have this relationship with him, that "we may live together with Him". We are all sinners, there is not one thing that sets us apart from a murderer or an adulterer, we all are sinners. God hates all sin, and yet he sent His Son to die for us, so that no matter what, we will live with Him. That's powerful. Kinda makes you feel special.
JustineM

by JustineM Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:30 am

I so enjoy everyone's comments.

Thessalonians 5 brings all of Paul's encouragement to a good close, I think. We are so reminded that our hope lies in Jesus, what he has done for us, what he will do when he comes back. If we can keep that in front of us, we can have full joy always, even in the low times. And, that hope is what fuels our love for others! Paul gives us such a wonderful list of how God wants and needs us to be at the end of the chapter, v.12-24, and reminds us that God is faithful to us, never changes, always keeps his word.

My mother died when I was 26, and my father died when I was 31. I have 3 sisters and we were a very close family. It was hard on us, but we knew that God knows what we need, he loves us, and never leaves. He is our loving Father. We had the words of the verses of Thessalonians 4:14-17 carved on the front of their tombstone as a testimony to the hope, as believers, we have in Christ.

"For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep...For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord."

I thank him every day for the blessing of my parents and others he has put in my life who point me towards him.

The verses at the beginning of chapter 5 remind me that even though, I don't know when, I have no excuse to be surprised when Jesus returns, for we have been told it will happen, and I shouldn't waste a moment in the in between in my service to him, and I can't wait for that glorious day! ;) Thanks to God for his beautiful words he has given us through the pen of faithful men for us to find comfort in!
aSwedishDisciple

by aSwedishDisciple Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:39 pm

Well, verse 17: "Pray without ceasing." Does Paul write this as a literal sense like I should pray without stopping in prayer until I say Amen? Or does Paul write this as in never stop praying? Just curious. Perhaps it could mean both. I practice both either way, but just looking for clarity.

I think more like your second suggestion. But I think of it more like a good relationship, you don't need to talk constantly when you spend time together. But you are aware of and enjoying the other's company. Sort of like a silent conversation some times, you are aware and ready if God wants to speak and you speak to him when things come up.

In verses 23-24 Paul speaks about keeping yourself blamless for the day of the Lord. Such a comfort that he says that God will do it. If I just love him with all I got he will do the rest. That takes a lot of pressure out of it :p
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:18 am

I agree with Swedish. You can pray anytime, any place. You don't even need to speak out loud. God loves to hear from you.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
Return to Disciple Bible Study