Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere Out There ;)

1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Kevin Young Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:10 am

This week we will be discussing 1 Thessalonians Chapter 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:26 am

First of all, here's Acts 17:1-9 when Paul was in Thessalonica!

"Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. 2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and proving that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and saying, “This Jesus, whom I proclaim to you, is the Christ.” 4 And some of them were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a great many of the devout Greeks and not a few of the leading women. 5 But the Jews[a] were jealous, and taking some wicked men of the rabble, they formed a mob, set the city in an uproar, and attacked the house of Jason, seeking to bring them out to the crowd. 6 And when they could not find them, they dragged Jason and some of the brothers before the city authorities, shouting, “These men who have turned the world upside down have come here also, 7 and Jason has received them, and they are all acting against the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, Jesus.” 8 And the people and the city authorities were disturbed when they heard these things. 9 And when they had taken money as security from Jason and the rest, they let them go."


Thessalonica was an important city. It was on the a road that linked Rome and the East. So bringing the gospel there could also bring it to the East and to the world!

So he only preached 3 Sabbaths there. It talks about in 1 Thess 3 that Timothy was sent back to see if that short time had done any good. And there was good news! There was also some not so good news of some of the things they were struggling with:

(From William Barclay)

1. The preaching of the second coming had produced an unhealthy situation in which people had stopped working and had abandoned all ordinary pursuits to await the Second Coming with a kind of hysterical expectancy. So Paul tells them to be quiet and to get on with their work (1 Thess 4:11)

2. They were worried about what was to happen to those who died before the Second Coming arrived. Paul explains that those who fall asleep in Jesus will miss noen fo the glory (4:13-18)

3. There was a tendency to despise all lawful and authority; the argumentative Greek was always in danger of producing a democracy run mad (5:12-14)

4. There was a ever-present danger that they would relapse into immorality. It was hard to unlearn the point of view of generations and to escape the contagion of the heathen world (4:3-8)

5. There was at least a section who slandered Paul. They hinted that he preached the gospel for what he could get out of it (2:5,9); and that he was something of a dictator (2:6,7,11)

6. There was a certain amount of division in the church (4:9; 5:13)
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Finally have a night off from one job. Will work my day job still tomorrow. But too tired to comment for now. God's blessings to Courtney and all.
navygirl78
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by navygirl78 Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:54 am

Favorite passage.... of course vs 10 however,this is also one of the challenges. It is so hard when it seems that satan is attacking all the time to WAIT.... we have the urge to be home now instead of waiting. I can also say that vs 9 is a challenge for me,one that until this past year I had not thought about much. Every time I watch TV or read a book i am interested in and it takes away form my Bible study and devotion time with my Lord. It is so easy to think of idols as the golden calf or some other statue of old but I find that TV and whatever leisure time (I can steal away from my nine year old that is) ;) does the same.

Sarah
User avatar
lappinglivingwater
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:36 am
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by lappinglivingwater Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:49 am

I'm really developing an admiration for Paul's opening style. As a leader, he does a great job of showing gratitude, pointing out the good things, and strengthening the courage of those who look up to him and try to follow his example. I was recently promoted to a supervisory position and have really taken notice of people coming to me to look for direction, feedback, and advice (which I had never really had much experience with in prior positions). Giving feedback can be a very sensitive job, and great skill, wisdom and gentleness is required (something I require a lot more experience with!). Watching Paul in these situations, now being able to see it from a leader's perspective, is like watching a master at work.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:I'm really developing an admiration for Paul's opening style. As a leader, he does a great job of showing gratitude, pointing out the good things, and strengthening the courage of those who look up to him and try to follow his example. I was recently promoted to a supervisory position and have really taken notice of people coming to me to look for direction, feedback, and advice (which I had never really had much experience with in prior positions). Giving feedback can be a very sensitive job, and great skill, wisdom and gentleness is required (something I require a lot more experience with!). Watching Paul in these situations, now being able to see it from a leader's perspective, is like watching a master at work.


Congratulations on your promotion.
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Most sermons I have heard, on this book, ignore the fact that this is a cooberative work. Three authors are credited with its writing. Sylvanus and Timothy may play a lesser role than Paul in the presentation of the content but that cannot be guaranteed. "We," "our," and "us" are sprinkled throughout the book. This is, indeed, a three person anointed writing that hints at an intimate relationship between these three and the church at ancient Thessalonica. A similarity may be if a regional church leader and two of his associates were to draft a letter to a local church under their care.
Verse 5 indicates that the original evangelization, of Thessalonica that led to the establishment this church, was performed by these same three people. The expression of a united effort also follows through to the members of this church. The Thessalonians had a strong part in the evangelization of Macedonia and Achaia. That being by "example" of turning from idols to believe and serve the Lord Jesus Christ (verses 7, 9, and 10). And their faith in God going out as a testimony "everywhere" (verse eight). This is not the Paul team. This is the God team to whom Paul, Sylvanus, Timothy, and the Thessalonians belong. The usage of three names seems to be synonymous with the mention of the three persons of the Trinity in this chapter. Significant? - Maybe. A typologist certainly would not let that fall through the cracks. These ten verses of profound encouragement exemplify a healthy relationship of unity. Perhaps typologically there can be a remote comparison with all who are involved with this site? Kevin certainly stands out here. But there is a cooperative group action that makes it happen. And, of course, that originates with the Lord. - Just a thought.
aSwedishDisciple
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:00 am
Location: Malmö, Sweden

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by aSwedishDisciple Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:46 am

As previously mentioned I am too struck by what Paul mentions first in many of his letters. "We always thank God for ALL of you..." not some but all. I tend more to lean towards complaining than thanking when it comes to others. And surely there is a good number I thank God for but to thank God for the entire congregation and to always do that. Paul must have had a different perspective than most of us. That is both encouraging and challenging.

"You became imitators of us and of the Lord.." Leaders have a great responsibility indeed. As Paul writes in his letter to Timothy chapter 3v1-7 there is a lot of positive demands involved with leadership. Because people look at the leader and should imitate both Christ and the leader and then it is so important that the leader reflects Christ. If the leader falls many more people will get hurt and disappointed so it is important that a leader follows the instructions in Timothy 3 but to be able to do that one certainly needs the grace and power of the Holy Spirit.

Great that there is a bible study place on the boards, so good to trade experience and insights with other belivers.
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Reading William Barclay's books alongside the bible study has been awesome! In fact, after 2 Thess I am going to have a gap and not have a matching book until 1 John so I'm kind of dreading that.

But earlier I was trying the Romans one and I started thinking about that the only reason I have these books and have learned all this stuff is because they were my maternal grandparents' and they are both gone now. And I started crying because I don't even now what I say to that....because I've learned all this stuff only because they are both gone and I have their books....but if I had them back right now I wouldn't have ever learned all this stuff....like about joy!!! So there's a bunch of blogs that wouldn't have been written and I wouldn't be going on about joy without these books....but I only have them because my grandparents are gone :(

So yeah that conundrum of getting something so awesome only because both of them are gone now was just tough today.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 pm

lappinglivingwater wrote:I'm really developing an admiration for Paul's opening style. As a leader, he does a great job of showing gratitude, pointing out the good things, and strengthening the courage of those who look up to him and try to follow his example. I was recently promoted to a supervisory position and have really taken notice of people coming to me to look for direction, feedback, and advice (which I had never really had much experience with in prior positions). Giving feedback can be a very sensitive job, and great skill, wisdom and gentleness is required (something I require a lot more experience with!). Watching Paul in these situations, now being able to see it from a leader's perspective, is like watching a master at work.


yeah I noticed that about his letters!!

aSwedishDisciple wrote:As previously mentioned I am too struck by what Paul mentions first in many of his letters. "We always thank God for ALL of you..." not some but all. I tend more to lean towards complaining than thanking when it comes to others. And surely there is a good number I thank God for but to thank God for the entire congregation and to always do that. Paul must have had a different perspective than most of us. That is both encouraging and challenging.

"You became imitators of us and of the Lord.." Leaders have a great responsibility indeed. As Paul writes in his letter to Timothy chapter 3v1-7 there is a lot of positive demands involved with leadership. Because people look at the leader and should imitate both Christ and the leader and then it is so important that the leader reflects Christ. If the leader falls many more people will get hurt and disappointed so it is important that a leader follows the instructions in Timothy 3 but to be able to do that one certainly needs the grace and power of the Holy Spirit.

Great that there is a bible study place on the boards, so good to trade experience and insights with other belivers.


Paul is so awesome at being thankful for those he's writing to and being joyful in his letters

Columbia wrote:Most sermons I have heard, on this book, ignore the fact that this is a cooberative work. Three authors are credited with its writing. Sylvanus and Timothy may play a lesser role than Paul in the presentation of the content but that cannot be guaranteed. "We," "our," and "us" are sprinkled throughout the book. This is, indeed, a three person anointed writing that hints at an intimate relationship between these three and the church at ancient Thessalonica. A similarity may be if a regional church leader and two of his associates were to draft a letter to a local church under their care.
Verse 5 indicates that the original evangelization, of Thessalonica that led to the establishment this church, was performed by these same three people. The expression of a united effort also follows through to the members of this church. The Thessalonians had a strong part in the evangelization of Macedonia and Achaia. That being by "example" of turning from idols to believe and serve the Lord Jesus Christ (verses 7, 9, and 10). And their faith in God going out as a testimony "everywhere" (verse eight). This is not the Paul team. This is the God team to whom Paul, Sylvanus, Timothy, and the Thessalonians belong. The usage of three names seems to be synonymous with the mention of the three persons of the Trinity in this chapter. Significant? - Maybe. A typologist certainly would not let that fall through the cracks. These ten verses of profound encouragement exemplify a healthy relationship of unity. Perhaps typologically there can be a remote comparison with all who are involved with this site? Kevin certainly stands out here. But there is a cooperative group action that makes it happen. And, of course, that originates with the Lord. - Just a thought.


yeah I don't even know if I've read anything on that yet
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
Steph
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:41 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Steph Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:54 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:Reading William Barclay's books alongside the bible study has been awesome! In fact, after 2 Thess I am going to have a gap and not have a matching book until 1 John so I'm kind of dreading that.

But earlier I was trying the Romans one and I started thinking about that the only reason I have these books and have learned all this stuff is because they were my maternal grandparents' and they are both gone now. And I started crying because I don't even now what I say to that....because I've learned all this stuff only because they are both gone and I have their books....but if I had them back right now I wouldn't have ever learned all this stuff....like about joy!!! So there's a bunch of blogs that wouldn't have been written and I wouldn't be going on about joy without these books....but I only have them because my grandparents are gone :(

So yeah that conundrum of getting something so awesome only because both of them are gone now was just tough today.
Courtney...that is definitely a tough situation. :| But it kinda makes me think of that verse in Romans where it says that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him. So even though you're going through this difficult time, God is using these things to help you learn more about Him and to encourage and reach out to others.



I think it's inspiring that they received the message with joy given to them by the Holy Spirit, even though they were in the midst of suffering. (v6) That would definitely be a good example to others of the power of the Holy Spirit, and would probably make people wonder why the Thessalonians were still joyful despite their circumstances. That is definitely challenging for me. I've been letting my circumstances get to me and focusing on the negative, and then I end up feeling so discouraged. I know that I wouldn't be feeling so discouraged if I were spending more time with God and focusing more on things above, rather than the things of this world. I imagine we can all think of someone we know that just seems to exude joy and peace, no matter what, because they have such a close relationship with God. And it always inspires me when I spend time with someone like that. I want to get to that point so that maybe I could be a positive example to someone else.
~How precious to me are your thoughts O God? How vast is the sum of them? Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139:17-18~
Kevin Young
Bouncer
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere Out There ;)

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Kevin Young Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:21 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:So yeah that conundrum of getting something so awesome only because both of them are gone now was just tough today.


I had a thought as I was reading your post....

6So you received the message with joy from the Holy Spirit in spite of the severe suffering it brought you. In this way, you imitated both us and the Lord. 7As a result, you have become an example to all the believers in Greece—throughout both Macedonia and Achaia.
8And now the word of the Lord is ringing out from you to people everywhere, even beyond Macedonia and Achaia, for wherever we go we find people telling us about your faith in God.


God always takes our suffering and turns it into something beautiful. In this case, the Thessalonians endured severe suffering because of their faith in Christ.... but as a result the word of the Lord was ringing out to "people everywhere." This is obviously at work in your life as well, the suffering of you losing your grandparents has also brought you great joy... and the word of the Lord is reaching far more people because of you. God causes the trials, tribulations, and sufferings to ultimately bring out about "good" in our lives. He is an amazing Father. We could not ask for more.

So great to see lapping, columbia, navygirl78, aSwedishDisciple, and Steph on here this week!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
Columbia
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Columbia Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:05 pm

So sorry sister Courtney. It gets better with time but we always miss our grandparents when they are gone. My maternal grandparents were also born again and very instrumental in me coming to Christ. They have been gone a long time now. But like with your grandparents, I am sure, their godly legacy burns inside me. May the Lord grant you the greatest of comfort as you grieve.
User avatar
sassy1506
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:08 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by sassy1506 Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:07 pm

We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Thessalonians 1:2‭-‬3 NIV


I know I haven't been very active on here for several weeks, but I feel this so deeply for you. You guys inspire me so much.


You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.
1 Thessalonians 1:6 NIV


One of the hardest things I've learned how to do this summer is stay excited and positive while inwardly wanting to lay down and die. It kind of sucks at the time, but being able to look back at those hard days and weeks is so rewarding when I think about the kids who are touched by God during that time.

Camp life is wonderfully insane. I miss you guys.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks everyone! It just hit me REALLY hard I was having a hard time dealing with it.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
ECCENTRICSHEEP
 
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 am

sassy1506 wrote:
We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers. We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Thessalonians 1:2‭-‬3 NIV


I know I haven't been very active on here for several weeks, but I feel this so deeply for you. You guys inspire me so much.


You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.
1 Thessalonians 1:6 NIV


One of the hardest things I've learned how to do this summer is stay excited and positive while inwardly wanting to lay down and die. It kind of sucks at the time, but being able to look back at those hard days and weeks is so rewarding when I think about the kids who are touched by God during that time.

Camp life is wonderfully insane. I miss you guys.


Oh yeah seeing the positive is hard sometimes. It makes getting through tough stuff easier when you can see the good though :).
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
User avatar
cindyddavis
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by cindyddavis Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:20 am

1 Thessalonians: 1. 5. because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. -

I like how Paul mentions the conviction of the Holy Spirit. It's easy to get caught up in pride and think that WE bring others to Christ when really we're just saying the words straight from the Bible. The Holy Spirit is the one that does all the work. I've always been nervous about saying the wrong thing to non believers or not being able to answer their questions and because of me stumbling over my words someone would lose out on a chance to give their life to God. Then I learned that all I really have to do is teach what the Bible says. Not what I think God is but what the bible says God is. You can't go wrong with that.
User avatar
Lainie
Bouncer
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:53 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by Lainie Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 am

"Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

Something simple, yet so powerful. I'm so busy beating myself up and being my own worst critic, it's so easy to forget about His GRACE. It's almost always easier to extend grace to others before yourself.
The Disciple fan-mily are just the friends I haven't necessarily met yet :)
barn43
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by barn43 Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:26 pm

What's great about this chapter is that it is a testimony of how the people who once worshipped idols, turned their lives around and became imitators of Paul, Silas, Timothy and the Lord. Even though they were suffering and going through hard times, they had joy given to them by the Holy Spirit. We can learn from them and apply it to our lives presently. We can find joy and comfort in the midst of suffering knowing that our Lord, Jesus, will rescue us from the coming wrath. In the world, such as it is today, it would be easy to be bogged down in fear and turn to idols, but we can use the Thessalonians as an example of how to lead our lives.
barn43
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: 1 THESSALONIANS CHAPTER 1

by barn43 Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:26 pm

What's great about this chapter is that it is a testimony of how the people who once worshipped idols, turned their lives around and became imitators of Paul, Silas, Timothy and the Lord. Even though they were suffering and going through hard times, they had joy given to them by the Holy Spirit. We can learn from them and apply it to our lives presently. We can find joy and comfort in the midst of suffering knowing that our Lord, Jesus, will rescue us from the coming wrath. In the world, such as it is today, it would be easy to be bogged down in fear and turn to idols, but we can use the Thessalonians as an example of how to lead our lives.
Return to Disciple Bible Study

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests