Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 10

by Kevin Young Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:18 am

This week we will be discussing 2 CORINTHIANS Chapter 10. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 10
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 10

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:49 am

10:1 By the humility and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am “timid” when face to face with you, but “bold” toward you when away!

I just like it when he says stuff like this because I can relate to it. Because I can talk about all sorts of stuff in blogs, and then have a panic attack trying to walk up and talk to someone I’ve known for a while lol.

10:3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.

I have definitely fought this war this year. I haven’t really talked about it much outside of here and maybe more cryptically through art. I just don’t want to worry people that might not get it. I really struggled the first half of this year, but I kept going and make some really cool pieces to glorify God and speak out about self harm, depression, and addiction in ways the people I wanted to reach would listen to me. Every single time I doubt, but its always worth it if I go for it.

10:4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

Love and forgiveness are powerful weapons. There is nothing more powerful than love. Love can break through anything and endure everything. I have reached people and gotten people to listen to me more when I let up on the word God and not throw bible verses at people at first…but just speak about love. Like I said, God told me that when I speak of love and hope I am speaking about him even if I don’t use the word God. Guns run of of bullets, knives get dull, bombs detonate and are in pieces…and all of that stuff only tears flesh and destroys life. Love defeats evil and melts hearts frozen in the hardest blackest ice. And love never has to reload, love never runs out.

10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 6 And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.

Still working on that taking captive every thought part.

7 You are judging by appearances.[a] If anyone is confident that they belong to Christ, they should consider again that we belong to Christ just as much as they do.

Matthew Henry’s Commentary:

There is room in Christ for many; and those who differ much from one another may yet be one in him. It would help to heal the differences that are among us if we would remember that, how confident soever we may be that we belong to Christ, yet, at the same time, we must allow that those who differ from us may belong to Christ too, and therefore should be treated accordingly. We must not think that we are the people, and that none belong to Christ but ourselves. This we may plead for ourselves, against those who judge us and despise us that, how weak soever we are, yet, as they are Christ’s, so are we: we profess the same faith, we walk by the same rule, we build upon the same foundation, and hope for the same inheritance.

When God has picked out people for me to message…which he totally does pick out people…I’ve said before that he picks people I don’t think want to hear from me. I have said the words “Why that person? They don’t seem like someone who would want to hear from me.” Which is totally judging them. God always proves me wrong because those are always the people that reply back that I said exactly what they need to hear, in those words.

There is people you will think could never be a Christian. But sometimes I look at myself and think the same thing. We’re really all the same. Maybe you go to church more and pray a little more, but really we all mess up just as much as the other. You could say we have better morals than some people who don’t really follow the same morals as Christians, but we really do fail ourselves and fall away many times also. So there’s really no point in saying we are better than some people, because we aren’t.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
notebooknut

by notebooknut Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:32 am

*Pauses Disciple and opens Bible*

3 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 6 And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.

We aren't physical being temporarily experiencing a spiritual place. But we're rather spiritual beings temporarily experiencing a physical place. The wars of this world aren't the same as the wars we wage in our daily fight against the enemy. In fact- I'd say the wars of the world are of little concern to us. We need to be focusing on the literal battle 24/7 against sin in our minds. It's constant. Your decisions effect the future- the future whether you did RIGHT, or WRONG. That's the battle we wage in. And there are no nukes in our spiritual battle. We have faith, and hope, and trust on our Cornerstone.

7 You are judging by appearances.[a] If anyone is confident that they belong to Christ, they should consider again that we belong to Christ just as much as they do.

Ooooooooh! Okay, I'd like to stand up on the pulpit at church this Sunday and say that one...because I get bad looks from some of the old folks when I come in sporting my cut-off RADICAL vest. Or a hoodie. And they all have something awful against rock- ALL because of LOOKS. Looks do not matter! The soul is what matters! (I know you all know this but I'm just ranting.) I mean, long hair, tattoos, piercings- NONE OF THAT MATTERS. You are judging a book by it's cover- by it's costume. Because our bodies and our looks aren't eternal. But our soul is. So I think we all need to start looking at the part that matters and the part that is eternal and not worry about what isn't our business.

12 We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. 13 We, however, will not boast beyond proper limits, but will confine our boasting to the sphere of service God himself has assigned to us, a sphere that also includes you.

There is the looks again. Sometimes we all get caught up in trying to look good that it can really tear us down. Because that's when the comparing Jane to Lucy begins and we'll all never measure up to the high standards of our own imagination! Now, there's nothing wrong in looking at someone, let's say Kevin- and looking at where he is spiritually, and thinking how we'd like to grow in the Lord until we get there. Because that kind of comparison GET'S US SOMEWHERE! That's how I've gotten as close to the Creator as I am now. Because I looked at them at their signing table and thought..."man, what do they have that I don't? I don't get it..." I like the last night of that verse. Because a lot of people think they were nothing but a big mistake that shouldn't of even of been brought into the world. But it says right there that EVERYONE has a purpose. God has called EVERYONE ON THIS EARTH to do something for his kingdom? So what's your calling? Think about it, I know I will.
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Lightupthedarkness

by Lightupthedarkness Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:09 am

17 As the Scriptures say, “If anyone is going to boast, let him boast about what the Lord has done and not about himself.” Love this scripture due to it saying to boast about the Lord. Too many are following preachers and not God.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:21 pm

i wore all black with my hood from my hoodie up and boots to a new church this past Sunday...yeah no one talked to me lol!

notebooknut

by notebooknut Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:29 pm

I know the feeling, Court. :cool:
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
bandmonkey08

by bandmonkey08 Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:13 pm

For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds.
We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ

-vs 4& 5

I've read this a thousand times because verse 5 has been something God spoke to me back in 2012-- I was letting my mind run amuck with emotions and letting anything sway me that I was feeling. After a really hard and stern, rebuking conversation with a close friend, I realized I had to start learning to control my mind better. It's the hardest thing, but worth it. Repeating this verse also helps, especially when you're not sure where your mind is going.
"is this obedient to Jesus? is this something He would want me to think? is this something He would say to me?" -- it helps.
BUT I shared this section because I've never before noted the part in vs 4 that says "the weapons of our warfare... have divine power to destroy strongholds" (I omitted a few other words to capture the point more concisely)- is anyone else sitting here going WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? cuz i am.
I'll accept any answers or wisdom in that verse :!:

"Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved,
but the one whom the Lord commends."
-vs 17 & 18

simple enough- only God's approval matters. challenging to me especially right now in life.

good stuff :cool:
~Liz

"i choose to be alive
especially because the
odds say i should die"
-lacey sturm

We are the Alliance:
http://www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
Columbia

by Columbia Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:43 am

The Apostle Paul asserts a bold style of correction with the restored Corinthian church here. He makes it clear that he is operating solo in his words of correction about status-pride in the church. The Corinthians appear to have become so big for their britches that Paul and his team are now somehow beneath them. Paul finds it necessary to remind the Corinthians that it was he and his team who were the first to present the gospel in Corinth. He also finds it necessary to remind them that he and his team are every bit as much "in Christ" as are the Corinthians. Boastful arrogance has been a recurrent problem in this church. Most of the people seem to want to be known as the greatest. Whether this carries over into actual positions or not is debatable but the spirit of the thing is ugly. Approval from God is never self-determined. How many times have we heard a preacher say something that indicates they are highly favored by God above others? Paul smashes this attitude with,"For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends" (Verse 18, ESV). Back in the days of Bible college, we were all given a theme verse: "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15, KJV). Many of us were good at literally studying but failed in the broader concept of an overall acceptable presentation to God. It is the daily recognition of that failure that keeps me conscious of the wonderful mercy that the Lord has for me and all my brothers and sisters in Christ. Want some humility? Take a graduate course in Koine Greek. If that doesn't show you the need for progressive sanctification in your life, you may want to research the biblical concept of "boasting" more thoroughly. Why does Paul caution against boasting in ourselves? - Because when it all comes down to it, none of us has anything to boast about apart from Christ. May the Lord continue to impart the powerful truth of this passage to us all.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:22 am

((okay I read Columbia's post and all this junk started running through my head, so that's where it came from lol))

So they say that social media causes things like depression and jealousy...to the point many say you should just stay away from sites like Facebook. Its because we see our friends doing all this stuff that we don't always get to do, and we start comparing ourselves to everyone around us. And when someone else is saying "I love my life" and maybe we aren't so much at the moment...that's when it starts, all the jealousy and sadness. I have found over the years friending many concert enthusiasts of both Christian and NonChristian music that you will friend the entire spectrum of those who have experience more than you and those who have experienced less. People who have done things you dream of, and those who are dreaming of the things you have gotten to do.

We can't get caught in this jealousy. I have said it before...God has different paths laid before all of us. Your path is just as amazing and beautiful as anyone else's out there, even if you look over at their road and think the grass is greener there. That is never true, you don't always see all the struggles each other go through between the nice spots. Besides, God knows what things here make you happy...even when he thinks it's meaningless and not important. He knows those simple things you enjoy, and sometimes he blesses us with them and lets us indulge for a little while. I know I've said it before "Wow, you didn't have to give me that, but thank you for giving it to me."

Maybe you see one of these Christian bands bringing 20 or more people to Jesus every night and think your work for God isn't as good because you don't bring people to Christ night after night...or that no one says you saved their life. So you think you aren't as important. That is never true. Your service to God is just as precious as any band standing on stage performing or any speaker out there on stage speaking.

You don't always know what your impact is doing. When you encourage and love on your brothers and sisters in Christ, you don't always know just how important your love is to them. I guarantee you are saving souls from the death of sin by acknowledging the presence of those around you and showing your appreciation of them. There are many on the edge of giving up on the church and God out there that you don't know about. Your simple love is saving souls and you don't even know it. And what if your simple love encourages them to love others and then they in turn bring new souls to Christ...and those new souls wouldn't be with us if it wasn't for you loving on someone. See how one small thing you do can turn into something big...and you don't even know it.

Did you know that people like you guys kept me in the church? I bet you didn't. I was ready to give up on church this past spring. There is no telling where I would have gone after that if Satan had won that battle over me. Y'all didn't even have to do anything different or extravagant either. You just showed that simple love and were your beautiful selves. I have the strength to keep going to church, even when its lonely, because of y'all...because I know I can come here and not be lonely.

There is one simple gesture I know many think don't mean much that I will tell you from experience means everything. The simple gesture of sitting with someone. That acknowledgment and appreciation of someone's existence I will tell you from experience means everything. And you didn't have to do much at all, you don't even have to say much. Some people have done that simple gesture for me, and they didn't even think of it as a gesture of love, but it was, and its something I will never forget.

There is so many ways to show simple love to people that seem so small and meaningless to you, but those things echo through the souls of people and ring out through eternity in ways you might not even always know. And whether it's one person or 20, they are all precious and valuable to God. Anything you do for God is just as valuable as the person next to you.

So don't get caught up in how many people you impact or how extravagant of a thing you do to make an impact...because it could be something small with one person...but that small thing could mean everything to them, and that one person means everything to God.

Love is simple sometimes. Something simple to you could be something powerful to someone else.

Columbia

by Columbia Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:45 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:i wore all black with my hood from my hoodie up and boots to a new church this past Sunday...yeah no one talked to me lol!

I hope someone will look past the hood and be friendly. These are troubled times and people are cautious I suppose. Then, sometimes, there are just those churches...........
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Columbia wrote:
ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:i wore all black with my hood from my hoodie up and boots to a new church this past Sunday...yeah no one talked to me lol!

I hope someone will look past the hood and be friendly. These are troubled times and people are cautious I suppose. Then, sometimes, there are just those churches...........

Gotta be a little weird to do all the art and writing I do I guess lol. I'd rather serve God doing all that and be an outsider in the church than try to please people.

Return to Disciple Bible Study