Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

EZEKIEL CHAPTERS 9 & 10

by Kevin Young Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:16 am

This week we will be discussing EZEKIEL Chapters 9 & 10. After you read the chapters, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapters 9 & 10
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: EZEKIEL CHAPTERS 9 & 10

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:52 am

9: 2 And I saw six men coming from the direction of the upper gate, which faces north, each with a deadly weapon in his hand. With them was a man clothed in linen who had a writing kit at his side. They came in and stood beside the bronze altar.

Matthew Henry’s Commentary:

Note, It is a matter of great comfort to all good Christians that, in the midst of the destroyers and the destructions that are abroad, there is a Mediator, a great high priest, who has an interest in heaven, and whom saints on earth have an interest in.

I hadn’t thought of the word mediator there I until this commentary used that word. Sounds familiar ;)

9:4 and said to him, “Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it.”

1. The distinguishing character of this remnant that is to be saved. They are such as sigh and cry, sigh in themselves, as men in pain and distress, cry to God in prayer, as men in earnest, because of all the abominations that are committed in Jerusalem. It was not only the idolatries they were guilty of, but all their other enormities, that were abominations to God. These pious few had witnessed against those abominations and had done what they could in their places to suppress them; but, finding all their attempts for the reformation of manners fruitless, they sat down, and sighted, and cried, wept in secret, and complained to God, because of the dishonour done to his name by their wickedness and the ruin it was bringing upon their church and nation.

2. The distinguishing care taken of them. Orders are given to find those all out that are of such a pious public spirit: “Go through the midst of the city in quest of them, and though they are ever so much dispersed, and ever so closely hid from the fury of their persecutors, yet see that you discover them, and set a mark upon their foreheads,”

(1.) To signify that God owns them for his, and he will confess them another day. A work of grace in the soul is to God a mark upon the forehead, which he will acknowledge as his mark, and by which he knows those that are his.

(2.) To give to them who are thus marked an assurance of God’s favour, that they may know it themselves; and the comfort of knowing it will be the most powerful support and cordial in calamitous times. Why should we perplex ourselves about this temporal life if we know by the mark that we have eternal life?

(3.) To be a direction to the destroyers whom to pass by, as the blood upon the door-posts was an indication that that was an Israelite’s house, and the first-born there must not be slain. Note, Those who keep themselves pure in times of common iniquity God will keep safe in times of common calamity. Those that distinguish themselves shall be distinguished; those that cry for other men’s sins shall not need to cry for their own afflictions, for they shall be either delivered from them or comforted under them. God will set a mark upon his mourners, will book their sighs and bottle their tears. The sealing of the servants of God in their foreheadsmentioned in Rev. 7:3 was the same token of the care God has of his own people with this related here; only this was to secure them from being destroyed, that from being seduced, which is equivalent.

Revelation 7

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3 “Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.”

You’ve been his since before you were born you know? Even knowing everything you would do, he still marked you as his.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:53 am

10:6 When the Lord commanded the man in linen, “Take fire from among the wheels, from among the cherubim,” the man went in and stood beside a wheel.7 Then one of the cherubim reached out his hand to the fire that was among them. He took up some of it and put it into the hands of the man in linen, who took it and went out. 8 (Under the wings of the cherubim could be seen what looked like human hands.)

Revelation 8

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand. 5 Then the angel took the censer, filled it with fire from the altar, and hurled it on the earth; and there came peals of thunder, rumblings, flashes of lightning and an earthquake.

Its the same kind of image, but used in different way. I’ve really liked the image there in Revelation 8 since I studied the book more. Its a striking image of God hearing our prayers.

But in Ezekiel is a striking image of God’s presence leaving. Its still a really awesome thing to picture, the vision of God’s presence leaving here in chapter 10. One commentary I read said it like this is what is going on in the spiritual realm that is normally unseen. Just like when there is a spiritual war raging within us and both sides fight for us, there is so much going on we can’t see with our own eyes.

10:18 Then the glory of the Lord departed from over the threshold of the temple and stopped above the cherubim. 19 While I watched, the cherubim spread their wings and rose from the ground, and as they went, the wheels went with them.They stopped at the entrance of the east gate of the Lord’s house, and the glory of the God of Israel was above them.

Its really heartbreaking picturing that, God’s glory leaving the temple. Take comfort knowing that if just the idea of God’s presence leaving hurts your heart…that means that God won’t leave you. God won’t leave anyone that desires to be with him. It is those that could care less, those are the ones he is leaving here.

But observe with how many stops and pauses God departs, as loth to go, as if to see if there be any that will intercede with him to return. None of the priests in the inner court, between the temple and the altar, would court his stay; therefore he leaves their court, and stands at the east gate, which led into the court of the people, to see if any of them would yet at length stand in the gap. Note, God removes by degrees from a provoking people; and, when he is ready to depart in displeasure, would return to them in mercy if they were but a repenting praying people.

Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:26 am

Wow Courtney. I love what you said about us being marked. That is so awesome.

The Old Testament gives us such a clear understanding and imagery of "the wages of sin is death." Often times we think of sin as mistakes or bad decisions, but God views sins (or the lifestyle of sin) as an ultimate rebellion worthy of death. We see this here in verse 10 "So I will not spare them or have any pity on them. I will fully repay them for all they have done.” When we think of a wage, we think of getting paid for the work we have done, = what we have earned. And that is exactly how God speaks of dealing with sin, "He will repay." So reading these verses are healthy for a Christian. We must never forget that Christ "PAID" the penalty for our sins. And it reminds us how precious this freedom that we have been given is, and to not abuse this freedom by continuing to sin. Seeing the fury of God is terrifying and heartbreaking.... and we have seen that fury unleashed on Jesus Christ on our behalf.

I read some of John Gill's commentary on this chapter. It was very very interesting. He looks at the wrath in the vision of Ezekiel in chapter 9 as something that actually happened. He believes that that the Chaldeans (Babylonians) were the ones who brought God's wrath, and that the six men/angels who had weapons to slaughter were actually the six generals of the Chaldean army. He also believes the 7th man was the Son of God. Very interesting. He quotes a Rabbi a lot named David Kimchi who lived in the late 1100's. I read a little about this Kimchi guy... he is a highly respected Rabbi who helped bring the Talmud and Old Testament commentary to Jews and Christians in the 12 century. Very influential figure. Anyway, here's an excerpt from John Gill's commentary on verse 2

Ezekiel 9:2
And, behold, six men
Either angels the form of men; or the generals of Nebuchadnezzar's army, as Kimchi interprets it; whose names are, Nergalsharezer, Samgarnebo, Sarsechim, Rabsaris, Nergalsharezer, Rabmag, ( Jeremiah 39:3 ) ; these six executioners of God's vengeance are, in the Talmud, called

``wrath, anger, fury, destruction, breach, and consumption:''
came from the way of the higher gate,
Kimchi observes, from the Rabbins, that this is the eastern gate called the higher or upper gate, because it was above the court of the Israelites. Maimonides says, the upper gate is the gate Nicanor; and why is it called the upper gate? because it was above the court of the women; see ( 2 Kings 15:35 ) ; which lieth toward the north:
where were the image of jealousy, and the women weeping for Tammuz, and other idolatrous practices were committed; which were the cause of the coming of these destroyers: moreover, the Chaldean army with its generals came out of the north; for Babylon lay north or northeast of Jerusalem; and so this gate, as Kimchi says, was northeast; and he adds, and Babylon was northeast of the land of Israel; see ( Jeremiah 1:13 Jeremiah 1:14 ) ( Jeremiah 4:6 Jeremiah 4:7 ) ; and every man a slaughter weapon in his hand;
as ordered, ( Ezekiel 9:1 ) , a different word is here used; it signifies a hammer, with which rocks are broken in pieces, as the above mentioned Jewish writer observes. The Septuagint render it an axe or hatchet: and one man among them;
not one of the six, but who made a seventh. The Jews say this was Gabriel; but this was not a created angel, as they; nor the Holy Spirit as Cocceius; but the Son of God, in a human form; he was among the six, at the head of them, as their leader and commander; he was but one, they six; one Saviour, and six destroyers: [was] clothed with linen;
not in the habit of a warrior, but of a priest; who, as such, had made atonement for the sins of his people, and intercession for them; and this may also denote the purity of his human nature, and his unspotted righteousness, the fine linen, clean and white, which is the righteousness of the saints: and with a writer's inkhorn by his side;
or "at his loins"; nor a slaughter weapon, as the rest; but a writer's inkhorn; hence Kimchi takes him to be the king of Babylon's scribe; but a greater is here meant; even he who took down the names of God's elect in the book of life; and who takes an account, and keeps a book of the words, and even thoughts, of his people and also of their sighs, groans, and tears; see ( Malachi 3:16 ) ( Psalms 56:8 ) ; but now his business was to mark his people, and distinguish them from others, in a providential way; and keep and preserve them from the general ruin and destruction that was coming upon Jerusalem: or, "a girdle on his lions", as the Septuagint, Syriac, and Arabic versions render it; and so was prepared and fit for business; which sense of the word is approved of by Castel; and he asks, what has an inkhorn to do at a man's loins? but it should be observed, that it was the custom of the eastern people to carry inkhorns at their sides, and particularly in their girdles, as the Turks do now; who not only fix their kes and poniards in them, as Dr. Shaw relates; but the "hojias", that is, the writers and secretaries, hang their inkhorns in them; and by whom it is observed, that that part of these inkhorns which passes between the girdle and the tunic, and holds their pens, is long and flat; but the vessel for the ink, which rests upon the girdle, is square, with a lid to clasp over it: and they went in;
to the temple, all seven: and stood beside the brasen altar;
the altar of burnt offering, so called to distinguish it from the altar of incense, which was of gold; here they stood not to offer sacrifice, but waiting for their orders, to take vengeance for the sins committed in the temple, and at this altar; near to which stood the image of jealousy, ( Ezekiel 8:5 ) .
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:25 pm

You run your body into the ground for sin, toiling all your days for pleasures and lusts that are never satisfied....and for all your efforts you get paid with death. Sounds like a bad deal to me. And no one can help you because Satan pays you under the table so one one else even knows you even existed.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:38 am

I mostly read Matthew Henry's commentary out of convenience, because its on Biblegateway and that's what I use when I read online. And he says some stuff really poetically sometimes and its cool :). I take other people's commentary VERY lightly though, I just don't like relying on it too much. But you just need a jump start sometimes on chapters like this. Anyway, he doesn't say the same thing about 9:2, but he doesn't rule it out I guess. He just doesn't go that far maybe.

Their appearance, upon this summons, is recorded. Immediately six men came (Ezek. 9:2), one for each of the principal gates of Jerusalem. Two destroying angels were sent against Sodom, but six against Jerusalem; for Jerusalem’s doom in the judgment will be thrice as heavy as that of Sodom. There is an angel watching at every gate to destroy, to bring in judgments from every quarter, and to take heed that none escape. One angel served to destroy the first-born of Egypt, and the camp of the Assyrians, but here are six. In the Revelation we find seven that were to pour out the vials of God’s wrath, Rev. 16:1. They came with every one a slaughter-weapon in his hand, prepared for the work to which they were called. The nations of which the king of Babylon’s army was composed, which some reckon to be six, and the commanders of his army (of whom six are named as principal, Jer. 39:3), may be called the slaughter-weapons in the hands of the angels. The angels are thoroughly furnished for every service.

1. Observe whence they came—from the way of the higher gate, which lies towards the north (Ezek. 9:2), either because the Chaldeans came from the north (Jer. 1:14; Out of the north an evil shall break forth) or because the image of jealousy was set up at the door of the inner gate that looks towards the north, Ezek. 8:3, 5. At that gate of the temple the destroying angels entered, to show what it was that opened the door to them. Note, That way that sin lies judgments may be expected to come.

2. Observe where they placed themselves: They went in and stood beside the brazen altar, on which sacrifices were wont to be offered and atonement made. When they acted as destroyers they acted as sacrificers, not from any personal revenge or ill-will, but with a pure and sincere regard to the glory of God; for to his justice all they slew were offered up as victims. They stood by the altar, as it were to protect and vindicate that, and plead its righteous cause, and avenge the horrid profanation of it. At the altar they were to receive their commission to destroy, to intimate that the iniquity of Jerusalem, like that of Eli’s house, was not to be purged by sacrifice.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:46 am

Chapter 9 is one of my favourite chapters in the Bible. The connections to Revelation are undeniable here.

I can see why people might think that this one "man" of the seven is Jesus - the text calls the six men "enosh", which is a Hebrew word for "men" that normally symbolizes some kind of frailty, or weakness. But the seventh man Ezekiel calls "ish", which normally is the word used for someone who is strong, or is in authority. But I still don't think that this means that this man is Jesus, rather the mark that he sets in the foreheads of people is symbolic of Jesus. I believe this is the same angel that is told to put the mark of God in the foreheads of the elect in the end days in Revelation:

And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, saying, "Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads." And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
~Revelation 7:2-4

Further, I believe the seven angels noted in Ezekiel 9 are the seven angels that pour out the bowls of God's wrath in Revelation. Ezekiel clearly states in verse 8, "Ah Lord GOD! will You destroy all the residue of Israel in Your pouring out of Your fury upon Jerusalem?" And this pouring out is also described in Revelation:

And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles. And one of the four beasts gave unto the seven angels seven golden vials full of the wrath of God, who lives for ever and ever. And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple, till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled...
~Revelation 15:6-8

But let's get back to that mark... what is that "mark" that is put in the forehead? The Hebrew word is "tav", which is a special word for a mark. "Tav" is also a Hebrew letter. Now, the modern-day Hebrew tav almost looks like a lower-case cursive English letter "r" (that is, almost like a square with the bottom side missing)... but this isn't what the ancient Hebrew letter looked like. (The look of the Hebrew alphabet went through some big changes when Judah was in captivity in Babylon.) The Paleo-Hebrew "tav" evolved into the Greek letter "tao", and into our modern-day English "t". The Paleo-Hebrew letter "tav" looked like a "t"... which is to say that it looked like a CROSS. And that "tav" was used to brand the horses that a farmer owned, which is to say it was used as a mark of ownership. (For anyone who looks at that web link that shows the shape of what a Paleo-hebrew tav looks like... my avatar should look familiar...)

So, the angel in Ezekiel is literally going and placing a cross on the foreheads of God's elect. What is another name for your forehead? How about your "skull"? It's the place where your skull is. So, stated a different way, the angel in Ezekiel is placing a cross on the skull of God's elect. So... where was Jesus' cross placed? Wasn't it placed on "Calvary" (in Greek) and "Golgotha" (in Aramaic). The words "Calvary" and "Golgotha" both mean the same thing but in different languages. Do you know what those words mean? They mean "the place of the skull". Jesus' cross was placed in "the place of the skull". So, the angel in Ezekiel is placing crosses on skulls, and Jesus' cross was placed on "skull" hill. But what could that mean to us?... (I know what it means to me.)
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:54 am

9:6 Kill them all—old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin right here at the Temple.” So they began by killing the seventy leaders.

Sometimes it feels like evil is just having a heyday with us doesn't it? I know I've felt that before. Like they have full reign over you with no restrictions. Like they can throw whatever they want at you and no one is doing anything to help you. Its not true though. It's completely opposite of that if you are a believer actually and you put your trust in God. They can actually only do what God allows. However, what God allows is probably more than you think should be allowed to happen to you. So if God is allowing it that means you can get through it and that something good is going to come of it in some way.

Look at this...even good is coming out of the destruction of Jerusalem at this moment. Because we are reading this now and learning to be stronger, more obedient, and more faithful because of their mistakes. See all the good that is coming out of something that you see here was so bad for them. Don't you just wish sometimes you could tell someone like King David or Paul all the good that has happened to your faith because of their hardships, and tell them not one single struggle was in vain?

So yeah, sometimes it feels like evil is doing whatever they want. Sometimes God could be saying "Don't you dare touch them!"

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:56 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:But let's get back to that mark... what is that "mark" that is put in the forehead? The Hebrew word is "tav", which is a special word for a mark. "Tav" is also a Hebrew letter. Now, the modern-day Hebrew tav almost looks like a lower-case cursive English letter "r" (that is, almost like a square with the bottom side missing)... but this isn't what the ancient Hebrew letter looked like. (The look of the Hebrew alphabet went through some big changes when Judah was in captivity in Babylon.) The Paleo-Hebrew "tav" evolved into the Greek letter "tao", and into our modern-day English "t". The Paleo-Hebrew letter "tav" looked like a "t"... which is to say that it looked like a CROSS. And that "tav" was used to brand the horses that a farmer owned, which is to say it was used as a mark of ownership. (For anyone who looks at that web link that shows the shape of what a Paleo-hebrew tav looks like... my avatar should look familiar...)

So, the angel in Ezekiel is literally going and placing a cross on the foreheads of God's elect. What is another name for your forehead? How about your "skull"? It's the place where your skull is. So, stated a different way, the angel in Ezekiel is placing a cross on the skull of God's elect. So... where was Jesus' cross placed? Wasn't it placed on "Calvary" (in Greek) and "Golgotha" (in Aramaic). The words "Calvary" and "Golgotha" both mean the same thing but in different languages. Do you know what those words mean? They mean "the place of the skull". Jesus' cross was placed in "the place of the skull". So, the angel in Ezekiel is placing crosses on skulls, and Jesus' cross was placed on "skull" hill. But what could that mean to us?... (I know what it means to me.)

I like that!

Yeah I know the commentary I have been reading the most says that person is Jesus.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:43 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:Chapter 9 is one of my favourite chapters in the Bible. The connections to Revelation are undeniable here.

I can see why people might think that this one "man" of the seven is Jesus - the text calls the six men "enosh", which is a Hebrew word for "men" that normally symbolizes some kind of frailty, or weakness. But the seventh man Ezekiel calls "ish", which normally is the word used for someone who is strong, or is in authority. But I still don't think that this means that this man is Jesus, rather the mark that he sets in the foreheads of people is symbolic of Jesus. I believe this is the same angel that is told to put the mark of God in the foreheads of the elect in the end days in Revelation:

And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, saying, "Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads." And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
~Revelation 7:2-4

I like your theory! It makes more sense. Theophanies in the old testament are usually depicted as giving orders; I mean, Jesus is God, so He already knows what's up. But we see this guy in Ezekiel being told what to do. He's not referred to as the Angel of the Lord or Commander of the Armies of the Lord or any of the other names theophanies are called, either.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:54 pm

I love reading everyone's posts on these chapters

ECCENTRICSHEEP said
You run your body into the ground for sin, toiling all your days for pleasures and lusts that are never satisfied....and for all your efforts you get paid with death. Sounds like a bad deal to me. And no one can help you because Satan pays you under the table so one one else even knows you even existed.

Wow. the way you worded that was so heavy.

I think that's the second time I've heard Lapping share about the mark/cross on the skull. I love that so much. You asked what it means to me..... I would think it symbolizes putting our faith (mind/believe) in the work that Jesus did for us on the cross.

Believe and have eternal life - John 3:16
by Faith we're saved - Ephesians 2:8
be transformed by the renewing of your mind - Romans 12:2

Plus... how many times did Jesus ask people to have faith or believe? So many times! From Marth to Peter. From a man born blind to a lame man. So my first impression would be that the mark is placed on the skull to symbolize having faith in Jesus and the work of the cross.

I would love to hear lapping expound on what it means to him. So... Micheal, what does it mean to you?
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Kevin Young wrote:I love reading everyone's posts on these chapters

ECCENTRICSHEEP said

Wow. the way you worded that was so heavy.

I think that's the second time I've heard Lapping share about the mark/cross on the skull. I love that so much. You asked what it means to me..... I would think it symbolizes putting our faith (mind/believe) in the work that Jesus did for us on the cross.

Believe and have eternal life - John 3:16
by Faith we're saved - Ephesians 2:8
be transformed by the renewing of your mind - Romans 12:2

Plus... how many times did Jesus ask people to have faith or believe? So many times! From Marth to Peter. From a man born blind to a lame man. So my first impression would be that the mark is placed on the skull to symbolize having faith in Jesus and the work of the cross.

I would love to hear lapping expound on what it means to him. So... Micheal, what does it mean to you?

DUDE!

Okay so reading this I started thinking about like a mark being burned into a skull...like a brand or something. Something permanent like if you could carve it into a skull by chipping away. Not like ink or dust that would wash away. Like the mark is burnt or carved into you. PERMANENT!

Because as long as we choose God, we are God's children forever, permanently. FOREVER!

John 6:37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

And he KNEW all that stuff you would do, all that stuff you would say, ALL OF IT! He knew it all the whole time!

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:15 am

Kevin Young wrote:I would love to hear lapping expound on what it means to him. So... Micheal, what does it mean to you?

What does it mean to me? One thing that I don't discuss very much is about Jesus' walk for His 3 1/2 year ministry. We live in a time where people are fascinated with "meta" things - like how a story can reach out and comment on things that aren't only happening in the story, but how they also comment on things in our own personal lives.... but I've never heard people really discuss the meta-ness (is that a word?) of Jesus' ministry. I personally believe that the instructions that He gave during that time, and the things that happened to Him - while they could be generally applicable to people throughout history - are directly focussed on people, especially God's "very elect", who will live in the very last days. To me that's why the disciples recorded what Jesus said about people who will live in the very last days - what good did it do to the four disciples He told it to? They went to go be with Jesus and the Father almost 2,000 years ago. They weren't going to be walking the earth to see it. But it was recorded for posterity for the folks who would see it.

So a couple of other "meta" things that are recorded. Jesus' ministry is commonly recognized as being 3 1/2 years - the time of the very last days before the end is also noted in both Daniel and Revelation as being 3 1/2 years (remember that Jesus said in Matthew 24 that He wanted people to both read and understand the book of Daniel). When Jesus is placed on the cross, two Old Testament prophecies come to pass while He is on the cross that are also foretold to occur in the very last days: (1) the skies go dark at midday, and (2) there is a great earthquake. So, when these things occur in the OT, and happen when Jesus walked the earth, and are foretold to happen in the very last days, it is a reassurance to me that God is saying, "Hey, even in the very end, I am with you. These things also happened to My Son to let you know that I am with you, no matter what."

So, in Ezekiel God tells the angel to mark a cross on people's skulls who recognize the signs of the coming end - Jesus' cross was placed on "skull hill", and He taught people about the end - the angel in Revelation places the "seal of God" (which is still symbolized by the cross) on people's skulls at the end. He puts it on the skulls of people who "sigh" for all of the evil that is coming on the world. This sigh to me symbolizes despair - that feeling of "Oh no. It's all over." But it's not over - there is still work to do in the coming end. Jesus still did that work from the cross. He still taught people while He was bearing the cross, and while He was on the cross. He had a mindset that I believe that cross symbolizes. And the single most touching thing that He is recorded to have said while He was on the cross was, "Forgive them, Father; for they know not what they do." That to me is what the cross in the forehead symbolizes. That no matter what happens on this earth (and we are given plain warning as to what exactly is going to happen on the earth) no matter what happens, we keep working for repentance, both for ours and for those around us. That is "what the good servant is found doing" when the Lord returns. That is even what is recorded when all of the "crazy" events are going on in Revelation, even up to the fifth bowl of wrath being poured out on the earth (which is so very close to the end you can almost taste it) - the angels in heaven seem to be flabberghasted that the people on the earth still will not repent.

And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain, and blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds.
~Revelation 16:10-11

So that's what the cross on the forehead symbolizes to me. To have these words locked and loaded in your mind, no matter what may come: "Forgive them, Father; for they know not what they do."

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:12 pm

The Bible Panorama

Ezekiel 9
V 1–2: GUARDS INSTRUCTED Six armed guards, probably angels, are instructed to draw near. One of them has a writer’s ink horn, and they all stand by the bronze altar.

V 3: GOD’S INTENTION God’s intention to destroy the city and the temple is marked by the departure of His glory from the cherubim. This departure is noted in stages, and this is the first stage.

V 4: GOSPEL INITIATIVE In the midst of the impending doom and judgement, God graciously instructs the holder of the ink horn to go to Jerusalem and mark the forehead of each person who sighs and cries over all the abominations of idolatry and rebellion against God. In judgement, God is remembering with mercy those who repent—a precursor of the wonderful gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

V 5–8: GOD’S INDIGNATION The other angel guards are told to go into the city and slay everyone who does not bear the mark. As this is being done, Ezekiel falls on his face, cries out to God, and asks Him if He is going to destroy all the remnant of Israel as He pours out His fury on Jerusalem.

V 9–10: GREAT INIQUITY God repeats His earlier emphasis that the iniquity of Israel and Judah is so great that He will neither spare nor have pity, but will judge those unrepentant people in the city.

V 11: GRACIOUS INTERVENTION As a reminder of God’s forgiveness to the repentant, His gracious intervention is underlined to Ezekiel, as the holder of the ink horn reports that he has marked all the repentant on the head. God never judges truly repentant people who trust Him.

Ezekiel 10
V 1–8: DIVINE PREPARATION God prepares to move His glory from the temple. With a throne, the wheels, the cherubim, and the man clothed in linen all ready, His cloud fills the inner court and He passes over the threshold of the temple. The wings of the cherubim sound like the voice of God Himself. The man in linen is given coals to spread on the earth, signifying judgement.

V 9–17: DETAILED PARTICULARS The details of the cherubim, the wheels, and the faces of the cherubim are given, and are very similar to the details given before. The symbolism seems to refer to God’s mobility, control over timing, ability to see everything at all times, sovereignty over all aspects of nature, and holiness.

V 18–22: DEPARTING PRESENCE At this stage, God’s glory departs from the threshold of the temple and stands over the cherubim. Always in unison, God’s party moves straight forward.

Beanie19

by Beanie19 Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:28 am

Hey everyone, I want to say first of all that I have really liked reading about what other people have gotten from this chapter. It has really made me think about some ideas that I had not even considered the first time reading through.

Chapter 9, Verse 4 “Pass throughout the city of Jerusalem,” the Lord said to him, “and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the detestable practices committed in it.”

One thing that struck me reading this the first time was that the people who were marked were deeply grieved over the abominations happening around them. That really convicted me. It is easy to become numb to the evil going on around us and to try to ignore them. It is also easy to not care about the salvation of the people around us. We should be grieved because they will not repent and will be subject to God's wrath.

Reading this chapter reminded me of two very important things. Firstly, the people who grieved over the abominations in their city were marked so God's wrath would passed over them. Like them, we have been marked to have judgement pass over us. Jesus bore the weight of God's wrath on the cross. It is only by His grace and mercy that we are saved. The second thing is the reality of God's wrath against those who will not repent. This is real. This judgment that Ezekiel writes about happened and will happen. But God is merciful and proves innumerable opportunities to repent. Jesus' death on the cross proved away for all who will come to be made right with God. This is way being reminded of the reality of God's judgement is so important. It makes us more grateful for the cross and reminds us how important it is to share the hope that we have through Jesus.
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:14 pm

thank you Lapping for sharing that. that was awesome

thank you Beanie for sharing as well. we need to be reminded to "groan" for our cities and pray for them. great stuff
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:17 am

The patience and mercy of Christ on the cross is something that is always contrasted in my mind with Moses as Israel was about to enter the promised land. Christ spoke to our Rock, God the Father, saying, "Forgive them, Father; they know not what they do." Moses on the other hand lost his patience with Israel (Numbers 20), saying, "Listen up, you rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock?" and then proceeded to strike the rock God had told him to speak to. I believe this act by Moses was a direct contrast of what Christ did on the cross, and was also a type for the "unforgiveable sin", seeing as Moses asked God to forgive him for this act later, but God would not allow Moses into the land for "Israel's sake", telling Moses not to even bring up the matter with Him again (Deuteronomy 3:23-26).

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:38 am

There's a parallel that happens between Ezekiel 10 and Revelation, in the final seal. God tells one of the angels in Ezekiel 10, "Go in between the wheels, even under the cherub, and fill thine hand with coals of fire from between the cherubims, and scatter them over the city." And the angel does it. And as this happens, the temple is filled with a cloud, which would be from the censer that contained the incense. But the smoke of this incense in prophetic imagery is quite usually symbolic of the prayers of the saints (and in olden times, the Israelites would gather at the temple to pray at the time that the incense was burned, believing that the smoke would carry their prayers up to God). The temple (we are the temple) being filled with smoke (prayers) reminds me of a passage:

Ask of the Lord rain in the time of the latter rain; so the Lord shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every one grass in the field.
~Zechariah 10:1

Remember in Revelation where the locust army that bring destruction are told not to hurt any green grass or tree?

And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
~Revelation 9:3-4

So in the time of latter rain, it would make sense that lightning and thunder would accompany it. Rain, thunder and lightning normally all occur together. And so we see the same image, of the coals of the fire being cast to the earth, of the smoke filling God's temple, of rain, and thunder and lightnings, all right before the seven angels sound their trumpets, after the breaking of the seventh seal:

And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand. And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake. And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
~Revelation 8:3-6

These overlapping images fascinate me about Ezekiel and Revelation. A trumpet is a call to action. Let's see what the book of Ezekiel trumpets out in the following chapters.

Return to Disciple Bible Study