Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

EZEKIEL CHAPTERS 7 & 8

by Kevin Young Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:42 pm

This week we will be discussing EZEKIEL Chapters 7 & 8. After you read the chapters, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapters 7 & 8
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: EZEKIEL CHAPTERS 7 & 8

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:15 pm

I wrote this stuff at like 1-2am this morning by the way...because for some reason I'm like "we're half asleep and up in the middle of the night, time to go study the bible and ramble about it!"

NIV

7:17 Every hand will go limp;
every leg will be wet with urine.

NKJV

7:17 Every hand will be feeble,
And every knee will be as weak as water.

Sooo is it urine or not? I like the pee free versions personally.

7:19 “‘They will throw their silver into the streets,
and their gold will be treated as a thing unclean.
Their silver and gold
will not be able to deliver them
in the day of the Lord’s wrath.
It will not satisfy their hunger
or fill their stomachs,
for it has caused them to stumble into sin.
20 They took pride in their beautiful jewelry
and used it to make their detestable idols.
They made it into vile images;
therefore I will make it a thing unclean for them.

Wow, money and jewels being unclean. “Their sheepie doodles will be made unclean” NOOOO!!! Lol, anyway, yeah like something that you loved and it became an idol to you then being turned against you or something and becoming as if its unclean to you, imagine that.

7: 27 The king will mourn,
the prince will be clothed with despair,
and the hands of the people of the land will tremble.
I will deal with them according to their conduct,
and by their own standards I will judge them.

“‘Then they will know that I am the Lord.’”

Hmm…”by their own standards I will judge them” Because you know we are kind of flawed and stuff and our standards probably aren’t that great. So it would probably be bad to be judged by our own standards.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:16 pm

8:2 I looked, and I saw a figure like that of a man.[a] From what appeared to be his waist down he was like fire, and from there up his appearance was as bright as glowing metal.

Hmm fire and glowing metal…I’ve gone over this before. Descriptions you see a few times.

8:3 He stretched out what looked like a hand and took me by the hair of my head. The Spirit lifted me up between earth and heaven and in visions of God he took me to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the north gate of the inner court, where the idol that provokes to jealousy stood.

Wait, grabbed him by the hair? Ouch.

They are doing all kinds of stuff here. Everyone is just worshiping all kinds of junk.

8:17 “Have you seen this, son of man?” he asked. “Is it nothing to the people of Judah that they commit these detestable sins, leading the whole nation into violence, thumbing their noses at me, and provoking my anger?

Oh even today it is nothing for some people, isn’t it?

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:25 am

Chapter 7

For the number of times that God says, "the end has come" in this chapter, we should realize that He is not just talking about the end of Israel the nation, He's talking about the end of this earth age - the apocalypse. In verse 2, He says "the end is come upon the four corners of the land"; the word "land" is "'eretz" in Hebrew, which means the physical ground, which can either mean a territory, or the whole earth.

He also says that everyone will be judged according to their ways in verse 3. Paul just talked about this in 2 Corinthians 5, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to what he has done, whether it be good or bad."

Verse 7 says "the morning has come", which Paul and Peter also both talk about, "The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light (Romans 13:12)." "We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto you do well that you take heed, as unto a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts (2Peter 1:19)."

All of these things that are spoken of are things that also appear in Jesus' end times speech in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. The are the "days of vengeance" that Jesus speaks of in Luke 21:22: "For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled."

There is also a connection to 1 Thessalonians 5 in Ezekiel 7:

Destruction comes; and they shall seek peace, and there shall be none.
~Ezekiel 7:25

But of the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord [will come] as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, "Peace and safety;" then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. You are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
~1 Thessalonians 5:1-6

Unfortunately, the more we forget what the Old Testament has to say, the more the prophecy of Ezekiel 7:26 -- AND WHAT PAUL IS SAYING ABOVE -- comes true, which basically says that many people won't know what's going on in those times because they have forgotten what the Old Testament had to say.

Mischief shall come upon mischief, and rumour shall be upon rumour; then shall they seek a vision of the prophet; but the law shall perish from the priest, and counsel from the ancients.
~Ezekiel 7:26

And the final verse of chapter 7 states a principle that Jesus teaches in the Sermon on the Mount:

"According to their judgments will I judge them"
~Ezekiel 7:27

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you measure, it shall be measured to you again.
~Matthew 7:1-2

Jesus gave advice that was good for all time, right up to the time of the end -- instruction to the servants who will still be found doing what they should be doing when He returns.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:I wrote this stuff at like 1-2am this morning by the way...because for some reason I'm like "we're half asleep and up in the middle of the night, time to go study the bible and ramble about it!"

NIV

7:17 Every hand will go limp;
every leg will be wet with urine.

NKJV

7:17 Every hand will be feeble,
And every knee will be as weak as water.

Sooo is it urine or not? I like the pee free versions personally.

I think this might be implying that people are becoming paralyzed... So it shouldn't really matter which one you're reading...

8:18 Therefore I will deal with them in anger; I will not look on them with pity or spare them. Although they shout in my ears, I will not listen to them.”

Chapter 8 is all about those stupid idols... I think we have way too much idolization going on today without people even realizing it. I've had moments where I've been hit with the realization that I'm letting something else get in between God and me... but sometimes it's weeks or months after that thing starts to get in the way. Distraction from God is so painful and dangerous. I'm so glad for Jesus.

But when the end comes, we don't get pity. We get what we deserve.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:37 am

Chapter 8

This is a strong chapter with strong imagery. Very strong imagery. Let's not isolate this chapter to "what Israel did", but consider that the last chapter was talking about the end of time (which is still future to us). This chapter too is talking about things that are occurring now, and that will occur in the future. Remember what Paul said about the Old Testament:

Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
1 Corinthians 10: 11

So let's take a look at when this chapter in Ezekiel is recorded to happen. The first verse records the "date" as the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day. That's 6,6,5. That's one day before 6,6,6. If that isn't a clue that we're talking about the impending apocalypse, I don't know what is. But let's talk about what happened here. Ezekiel was taken in "the visions of God" (verse 3) to Jerusalem and is shown "abominations" there -- abominations that have caused God to leave the Temple (verse 6), which have made the Temple desolate.

"Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains."
~Matthew 24:15-16

The Temple scene that Ezekiel is describing is primed to accept the antichrist. While I believe that Ezekiel is describing Jerusalem proper, in the spiritual connotation of the vision, I believe Ezekiel is describing the spiritual Temple of God - our own hearts, and the collective heart of the church. "Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you (1 Corinthians 3:16)?"

The image of jealousy in verse 5 I believe is the antichrist, as Paul says will stand in the Temple pretending to be God in 2 Thessalonians 2:

Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day [of Christ's return] will not come unless "the falling away" comes first, and the man of sin [the antichrist] is revealed, the son of perdition [see John 17:12], who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as "God" in the temple of God, [pretending to be] God.
~2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

This is just one of the conditions of that time shown, before the "days of vengeance" come. More to come...

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:31 am

When Paul says that our bodies are the temple of the Lord, this leads me to believe that when Ezekiel digs in the wall and finds the door to the inside of the temple in Ezekiel 8:8, he actually is looking into the heart of the elders and the priests. They have the images of all sorts of gross things and false religions portrayed on the walls of their hearts. This actually reminds me of movie theatres, where many things that God would find abominable can be "portrayed on the wall." And, quite frankly, I wonder if this is what that is an allusion to. I enjoy movies, I enjoy comic book movies and science fiction movies... but I have to wonder how pleasing it is to God that these movies can literally raise billions and billions of dollars so that people can "escape from the harshness of reality" while many people go hungry in the streets because their reality is that they probably couldn't afford to purchase a movie ticket. I wonder how pleasing it is to God that churches begin to give sermons based on comic books (one of my local rural churches actually wrote a newspaper article on what people could learn about God from The Incredible Hulk; and Warner Bros. commissioned a professor of religion to write a sermon on how Superman was very similar to Christ as promotional material for Man of Steel to get Christians to watch the movie.) I wonder how pleasing it is that people have literally made a religion based on Star Wars - Jediism. I have literally heard the comment on youtube movie shows, "I have no religion, so comic books and comic book movies are my religion". I'm not saying this to put anyone on a guilt trip, but rather to recognize how these visions are coming to fruition in this day and age.

The smoke from the incense in prophetic imagery represents thoughts and prayers, so Ezekiel shows that the thoughts and prayers of the church in the vision are dark and make it difficult to see, rather than giving off a sweet aroma to God. They believe that God can't see what is going on inside of them. They believe that God has forsaken the earth because of what is going on around them - times have gotten that bad. It's important to recognize this because the visions that Ezekiel is having are a vivid way of describing other examples that are given to us in other areas of the Bible. The condition of the elders and the priest hearts in Ezekiel 8 could literally explain the condition of the Pharisees hearts that Jesus dealt with. The fact that times had gotten so bad that people may have thought that God had forsaken the earth could explain another period of "harsh conditions" - Jesus' 40 days without food and water (God being the provider of "the bread of life" and being the "fountain of the water of life"), which I personally believe was also representative of the end days also. This forsaking God is literally played out in John 19:15, when the chief priests stirred the crowd to have Jesus crucified, and answered Pilate's questions by saying, "We have no king but Caesar." And again, I still believe that the things Ezekiel is describing, and the things that happened to Jesus are still all examples of what the church will face in the last days, the Pharisees being so similar to a group that Jesus warned two of the churches of Revelation about: "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee (Revelation 3:9)." How similar this is to a direct statement Jesus made to the Pharisees in one of their arguments, "
Jesus said to them, 'If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God (John 8:42-27).'"

More to come...

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:01 am

Tammuz was the Babylonian god of food and vegetation. In today's culture, we are also rather concerned with how our lifestyle affects the plant and animal life on the planet because of pollution. Thirty years ago you wouldn't have heard much about global warming - now it's a household word. Jesus also said that there would be much consternation in the end times over the phenomena that would begin happening to the earth: "And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven... And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken (Luke 21:11 & 25-26)." It's my personal belief that these things happen because we do not follow God's instructions on how to treat the earth... we (humans) broke nature by our ways and for our own convenience. "The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant (Isaiah 24:5)." "Notwithstanding the land shall be desolate because of them that dwell therein, for the fruit of their doings (Micah 7:13)."

As a point to note, Tammuz was the husband of Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess of fertility. This goddess had been inherited from more ancient religions - Ashtoreth (see 1 Kings 5:11). The name "Ishtar" subsequently morphed in other religions into the names "Aphrodite", "Astarte" and "Eostre". The fertility symbols of these goddesses included the stork (think of the myth of babies being delivered by storks), the rabbit (well known for its fast multiplication), and the egg (an eternal symbol of fertility). A spring month was named after the goddess "Eostre" because of the symbolism of spring bringing forth new life. And there were celebrations in ancient times that included hunting eggs and bunny symbolism to celebrate this goddess.

For whatever reason, these things were adopted into Passover celebrations, which are now known as "Easter" - a word derived from the name of the goddess "Eostre". I've had Christians get very upset with me for even bringing this up but, to me, these are the exact kind of things that many of the areas of the Bible warn against. Please allow me to ask, just what the heck does Passover have to do with eggs, rabbits, and Eostre? (There are explanations that have been created, but they all seem to be pretty weak explanations to me.) Food for thought.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:34 pm

lappinglivingwater wrote:When Paul says that our bodies are the temple of the Lord, this leads me to believe that when Ezekiel digs in the wall and finds the door to the inside of the temple in Ezekiel 8:8, he actually is looking into the heart of the elders and the priests. They have the images of all sorts of gross things and false religions portrayed on the walls of their hearts. This actually reminds me of movie theatres, where many things that God would find abominable can be "portrayed on the wall." And, quite frankly, I wonder if this is what that is an allusion to. I enjoy movies, I enjoy comic book movies and science fiction movies... but I have to wonder how pleasing it is to God that these movies can literally raise billions and billions of dollars so that people can "escape from the harshness of reality" while many people go hungry in the streets because their reality is that they probably couldn't afford to purchase a movie ticket. I wonder how pleasing it is to God that churches begin to give sermons based on comic books (one of my local rural churches actually wrote a newspaper article on what people could learn about God from The Incredible Hulk; and Warner Bros. commissioned a professor of religion to write a sermon on how Superman was very similar to Christ as promotional material for Man of Steel to get Christians to watch the movie.) I wonder how pleasing it is that people have literally made a religion based on Star Wars - Jediism. I have literally heard the comment on youtube movie shows, "I have no religion, so comic books and comic book movies are my religion". I'm not saying this to put anyone on a guilt trip, but rather to recognize how these visions are coming to fruition in this day and age.

The smoke from the incense in prophetic imagery represents thoughts and prayers, so Ezekiel shows that the thoughts and prayers of the church in the vision are dark and make it difficult to see, rather than giving off a sweet aroma to God. They believe that God can't see what is going on inside of them. They believe that God has forsaken the earth because of what is going on around them - times have gotten that bad. It's important to recognize this because the visions that Ezekiel is having are a vivid way of describing other examples that are given to us in other areas of the Bible. The condition of the elders and the priest hearts in Ezekiel 8 could literally explain the condition of the Pharisees hearts that Jesus dealt with. The fact that times had gotten so bad that people may have thought that God had forsaken the earth could explain another period of "harsh conditions" - Jesus' 40 days without food and water (God being the provider of "the bread of life" and being the "fountain of the water of life"), which I personally believe was also representative of the end days also. This forsaking God is literally played out in John 19:15, when the chief priests stirred the crowd to have Jesus crucified, and answered Pilate's questions by saying, "We have no king but Caesar." And again, I still believe that the things Ezekiel is describing, and the things that happened to Jesus are still all examples of what the church will face in the last days, the Pharisees being so similar to a group that Jesus warned two of the churches of Revelation about: "Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee (Revelation 3:9)." How similar this is to a direct statement Jesus made to the Pharisees in one of their arguments, "
Jesus said to them, 'If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me. Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God (John 8:42-27).'"

More to come...

We do think we can hide what's in our hearts so easily sometimes don't we? We think that the wall of bone and can hide all the sins and lusts seeping out between the layers of membranes and muscles. That mask we put on for the world might fool the people around us, but not God. God bores right through that mask and that barrier and sees all the sins and lusts carved across the inner walls of our hearts that no one else can see.

It's the sins inside our hearts that hurt us the most though. There is so many wrongs we can do on the outside to other people, but those sins no one sees that have no form are poisons to our souls. They have no limits. Those thoughts in our minds can repeat over and over despite what is going on in our world around us. Those feelings like anger, hate, and jealousy can burn and boil endlessly if we do nothing to end it. Lust can completely rewire your brain and make you forget what real love and happiness is and fool you into thinking pictures and writings of fake affection is what will make you happy...and then leave you empty. All these unseen invisible sins can that rip your apart. All this darkness inside us hiding behind a wall.

But you know...when Jesus died for you...when God created this earth long ago...he knew about all that, and he chose you anyway. He saw it all the whole time, you couldn't hide anything from him. And he's always loved you evening knowing all this about you. And he knows you can overcome all of this. Because he's there with you now in that broken heart you thought was so unworthy of being a residence for him.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:59 am

Once again, I become a bit gobsmacked at the perfect timing that God has set for going through these books in the Old Testament and the New Testament at the same time. We are literally seeing the same messages come through in Ezekiel 8 as Paul has been discussing in 2 Corinthian 6 & 7. In Ezekiel 8, God shows Ezekiel a number of visions in and around the Temple, and what is going on inside the Temple, and how worldly things (other idols and religions) begin to creep into the Temple and begin to corrupt the perfect instruction and path that God had laid out. Well, what has Paul been saying in 2 Corinthians 6 & 7? What is that Temple?

And what agreement has the Temple of God with idols? For you are the Temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people [Leviticus 26:12].” Therefore “'Come out from among them and be separate,' says the Lord. 'Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you [Isaiah 52:11].'" "'I will be a Father to you, and you shall be My sons and daughters,' says the Lord Almighty [2 Samuel 7:14].”
~2 Corinthians 6:16-18

You are that Temple, and we (the church) are that Temple. In Ezekiel 8, God is showing Ezekiel all of the things that the church was bound to let in, and in 2 Corinthians 6, Paul is using that warning to encourage the church to push all of that stuff right back out of the church.

In Ezekiel 7, what was the warning there?

The sword is without, and the pestilence and the famine within: he that is in the field shall die with the sword; and he that is in the city, famine and pestilence shall devour him.
~Ezekiel 7:15

And the sword, the famine, and the pestilence all hearkened back to a prophecy given by Moses, in "the Song of Moses" (see Revelation 15:3), if the Israelites turned away from hearing God's word (which would be a true famine!).

The sword without, and terror within, shall destroy both the young man and the virgin, the suckling also with the man of gray hairs.
~Deuteronomy 32:25

The sword is a symbol of division and war and conflict and fighting; the pestilence is a symbol of fear and terror, which feels like a sickness ("sick to my stomach with fear") and paralyzes people from doing anything (which makes me think of Jesus' constant statements to "fear not"); and the famine is a symbol of not hearing or receiving God's word, which is the true bread of life. And this is exactly what Paul is fighting against in 2 Corinthians 7:

For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears.
~2 Corinthians 7:5

These things tie together so perfectly to allow us to hear the warning of the Old Testament and the instructions of how to conquer it in the New Testament. What a blessed Bible study this morning! I hope that yours is just as blessed.

Vambram

by Vambram Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:20 pm

In Ezekiel Chapter 7, I really like how the whole chapter abounds in bold and beautiful figures, flowing in an easy and forcible language. This chapter, which also forms a distinct prophecy, foretells the destruction of the land of Israel, or Judah. Remember that after the captivity of the ten tribes these terms are often used indiscriminately for the Jews in general. This destruction is because of the heinous sins of its inhabitants as prophesied by Ezekiel in the first half of this chapter, verses 1 through 15. In Ezekiel 7:16-19, the prophet continues speaking the Word of the Lord by describing the great distress of the small remnant that would escape the judgment upon Israel and Judah. The Lord proclaims that the temple itself in Jerusalem, which they had polluted with idolatry, is devoted to destruction, in verses 20-22. Then, the Lord commands the prophet Ezekiel to make a chain, as a type of that captivity, in which both king and people should be led in bonds to Babylon. Ezekiel 7:23-27.

The Eighth chapter of Ezekiel begins a section of prophecy that extends to the Twelfth chapter of this book. In Ezekiel 8:1-4, the prophet Ezekiel is carried in vision to Jerusalem, and there shown the idolatry committed by the rulers of the Jews, even within the temple. With the 5th verse of this chapter, Ezekiel is shown that idolatry itself is personified, and made an idol; and the image sublimely called, from the provocation it gave God, the Image of Jealousy. Chapter 8 of Ezekiel then proceeds to describe the three principal superstitions of this unhappy people: the Egyptian, Ezekiel 8:6-12, the Phoenician, Ezekiel 8:13-14, and the Persian, Ezekiel 8:15-16; by giving the striking features of each one of those idolatrous superstitions, and then concluding with a declaration of the heinousness of their sins in the sight of God, and the consequent greatness of their punishment in verses 17 and 18 of chapter 8.

What is sad to see is that even today in this modern world, far too many Christians are too often guilty of the same sins of idolatry as the people were in Ezekiel's time, although we tend to look to different superstitions, false gods, and idols as did Ezekiel's audience when he wrote his book of prophecy.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:36 am

Vambram wrote:What is sad to see is that even today in this modern world, far too many Christians are too often guilty of the same sins of idolatry as the people were in Ezekiel's time, although we tend to look to different superstitions, false gods, and idols as did Ezekiel's audience when he wrote his book of prophecy.

You point out some very technical points about the various worship styles from the Egyptian, Phoenician, and Persian religions. That's awesome. The question is, are these all really that different? Are they different from the more ancient Akkadian and Sumerian pantheons, or is this basically the same group of gods that has adapted from society to society, later being adopted by the Greeks, and the Romans, and even today where comic book companies state that their groups of superheroes are clearly based on the Greek pantheon (look at the 7th quote down in the list), and have other comics that they call the "new gods"? Superman's kryptonian name "Kal-El" - אֵלקוֹל - in Hebrew literally means "the voice of God". I like a good story, but I think we have to be careful about how far we take these things. So was this a warning directed solely at the Jews, or was it meant for all of us?

There are numerous big-budget movies that will showcase "the apocalypse" in the coming years, but only drawing some inspiration from the biblical version, and rewriting the rest. These movies carry the risk of teaching people not familiar with the Bible an erroneous version of what the Bible says, and also confusing the knowledge of those who are not all that familiar with what the Bible says. I think it's important to point that out, and to be ready for it.

empup234

by empup234 Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:23 am

Hello sorry that I haven't written for awhile, been crazy busy, I am still reading Ezekiel!! It is a crazy chapter isn't it!! The things that were going on in that time!! You really experience the wrathful side of the Lord!! Which some people tend to forget a lot!! Yes our God is full of love and grace and he is as gentle as a lamb but He is also a God of wrath and He is holy!! He is the only thing that makes demons and satan himself tremble in fear! Our God is as fierce as lion, The Lion of the Tribe of Judah! It just makes even more thankful that I am His when I think about more of who my God is and that His wrath will never be pointed at those are redeemed in the Blood of Jesus Christ, but my heartbreaks and I pray for those that refuse to ear about the Truth of Gospel and especially those I know personally!!! So those were my thoughts on the chapters of Ezekiel that I have been reading!! Have a blessed week everyone!!! :D <3
Return to Disciple Bible Study