Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 9

by Kevin Young Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:38 pm

This week we will be discussing 2 CORINTHIANS Chapter 9. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 9
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 9

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 pm

((hold on I've got a rabbit trail first!!))

When you step out in faith and get a little bolder for God, evil forces will for sure be on the attack. They won’t like the new bolder you, and they are going to try to stop you. Just know that even though evil will step up their game, God will too…and God’s game is way better than evil’s. God is going to have your back when you step out in faith for him and get bold even though you might be afraid to.

God taught me earlier this year that I could show him to people without saying the word God and without debating over what is wrong or right. When I PM people or message them in some way on their blogs, I don’t use the word God. I talk about love and hope and how valuable they are. That’s what God wants me to tell all those strangers that I have no clue what they really believe in. Those 3 things are what God told me to focus on, that’s it. Love, hope, and self worth. Just show love and not worry about if they appreciate it or show any back. And by some chance they go visit my blogs…they can read about God there without having God pushed in their face.

Satan didn’t like that. That’s when he was spiritually attacking me so strong at the City Rockfest dates and when he was trying to push me out of the church for good. God told me to keep going, and he never left me. God has had my back the whole time. He’s even released me from struggles completely and allowed me to call on the name to Jesus to force evil to leave my presence. That is how I can keep going with what I’m doing even when those insecurities kick in every time I’m about to release a new photography or video.

Anyway, kind of random, but I started thinking about that after going to some of the One Life Tour dates and not feeling those same spiritual attacks this time. It was nice.

6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.

It is so true, and you can sow in many different ways…you can sacrifice in different ways. Not just giving money. I have said it before, but I have felt a big difference in my life ever since I started getting up earlier for bible study time. I send out a lot of love and hope through blogs and individual messages to people, and even though many never reply…some of that love and hope always comes back. I don’t do it for the replies though, not at all I would keep going if none of them replied. But out of about 350-400 PM’s on tumblr I can count the number of negative replies on one hand…ONE HAND! If you sow love and hope, you will reap love and hope.

7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

I think its soooo important to be happy with what you are giving. Because with tithing you can get caught up in the percentages…well maybe I do, I might suck at math but I’ve worked in laboratories for about 9 years so percentages and numbers are something I just gravitate to. And most of us probably don’t even give near 10% do we? We can all give more, that’s what God wants us to do! To have faith to give because he wants to give to us so we can give to others.

8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good w
ork.

Because God isn’t limited by jobs and bills and life like we are. We feel way limited in what we can give, but we aren’t as limited as we think we are. I’m not saying if you start giving your whole paychecks God is gonna make you a millionaire tomorrow, but if you step out in faith and give more and really mean it…God is going to take care of you because he wants you to be able to give.

10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

Like I said, you aren’t limited to just giving more money. Giving our time is big too because we only have so many hours in the day and so much time to relax in life…giving some of your precious time is stepping out in faith too.

So if you are wishing to give more in some way, even if you have to increase little by little just go for it. Do it because you want to not because you think you have to. God is going to back you up when you take those steps of increase I promise.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:46 pm

I'm sorry I'm gonna go out in left field again...

So we're all big concert people here? Duh, we're all Disciple fans mostly lol. There's always certain things that make people feel like they matter. Like what bands know you or what bands have let you get on their bus. What bands you've gotten pictures with and what bands you've gotten guitar picks or setlists from. There's all these status symbols in the concert world. And sometimes people can get carried away with them and feel more important because some band knows them or some band has handed them a guitar pick from the stage. Like they matter more now because of this and they didn't matter as much before.

You know what? NONE OF THAT STUFF DEFINES YOU! None of that junk gives you any value. Music is a thing, guitar picks are a piece of plastic, setlists are a piece of paper, pictures are a piece of paper or an image on your phone. Its all temporary junk! These concerts, songs, and mementos are all junk that will be gone when this world is gone.

You know what gives you value? The fact that you belong to God. God is the only thing that gives value because God is the only thing that is forever. God is supreme and over everything on heaven and earth, and nothing on earth we love so much compares to him. And none of that stuff can save you, only God can save you. None of that stuff can love like God can. Those people won't ever love you as much as God does.

We are all equal here, there is no person here greater than another. We are given different tasks by God while we are here. Some tasks are in the spotlight, and some aren't. God has different people he's placed in your life. Some people he has chosen to be close to you...some will be acquaintances or just passing through for a short time....and some people will be placed more distant. Everyone in your life is where they are for a reason, whether how close or how far. And sometimes we don't agree with what God has chosen. Its okay, but God knows what he's doing so we need to accept the path he's laid for us.

God has a brilliant plan for you greater than any concert or meet and greet you can dream of! You are worth more than anything on earth. There is nothing on earth that can compare to you. That photo with that band and that brief conversation might seem worth more than gold, but it is worthless compared to the value your soul has because you are God's precious child he has moved heaven and earth to save.

So keep your eyes on what's important. Keep your eyes on God and what he has planned for you while you are here. What he wants you to do here, and what you can do to help more of his precious children get home one day. You are already worth more than anything on earth, you don't need worldly temporary junk to have an identity.

Columbia

by Columbia Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:08 am

This chapter is not about tithing. This entire chapter is a treatise about what many churches refer to as a "love offering." This particular love offering was a large scale offering for the church at Jerusalem. The church at Jerusalem was, at this time, persecuted and greatly scattered. Properties had been seized from Christians and many were placed in jail. This was a dual frontal assault. The Roman authorities were beginning to remove the religious exemptions that Jewish Christians had once enjoyed for being Jews. This was because, on the other front, the Temple authorities had rejected Christians as blasphemers. Without the identification with the Temple the Jewish Christians were expected to "hail Caesar" with the pagans. This "hail" was a form of worship to a man who was considered to be a half-god. Most Christians refused to perform this "hail" and so were open to prosecution by the Roman authorities. As already mentioned, properties had been seized, family members had been killed or jailed, and the Jewish Temple authority also made life miserable for these believers. Many lived in hiding. The Jerusalem church was quickly becoming like the underground church, in Rome, that would meet among the graves under the city. Poverty and suffering were hallmarks of this church. Having already used Macedonia as an example to the Corinthian church, Paul now announces that he will hold the Corinthians to a former pledge they had made to aid the Christians in Jerusalem. He will not demand this offering but does warn them of the potential for grand embarrassment should the Corinthians balk in any way. That embarrassment would be due to the presence of Macedonians when the offering was scheduled for pick-up. Notice the apostle's leadership proficiency as he places himself in direct partnership with the Corinthians? Despite their horrible former corruption they will not be treated as a basket-case church. The Corinthians were part of the team. They were, after all, spiritual family members with the churches who had been faithful. The Corinthians were in the same spiritual family that the Jerusalem and the Macedonian Christians belonged to. It was now time to put their money where their mouths had been. - Money that the Corinthians loved so much that they were willing to sue brothers and sisters in Christ to retain it. The way the apostle and his staff, if you will, approach this matter is a display of exemplary quality leadership. This chapter should serve as an honest model for church administrators. This is the way to call in a financial pledge for the sake of those who are in desperate need. The Corinthian church had not been cast aside from fellowship. This church had been restored into spiritual and moral fellowship with the whole. Now they would be restored so fully that even their financial support will be restored as well. So how many churches do we know of where the people use the communion service to banquet and to get drunk? How many churches do we know of where immorality is considered a virtue? How many churches do we know of where a secular brand of intellectualism is considered to be superior to God's word? And how many churches do we know of where their highest godly leaders are openly slandered and reviled? The Corinthian church had been guilty of all of these things and more. How many of our church groups would not have written a group like the Corinthians off for good? Yes, this chapter is not about tithing. It is about a love offering but this love offering carries a lot of clout for Corinth. This offering is the symbol of final and complete restoration within the body of Christ. In these perilous times the 9th chapter of 2 Corinthians packs a powerful message about how we view our churches. Believers and churches are all worth pursuing for godly correction when necessary. Restoration is the goal of godly correction. Not just part way. But, all the way.
Last edited by Columbia on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:42 am

Love offering...I like that...because when you are giving out of love all you care about is supporting the person you are giving to...you don't care about getting anything back, you're just happy to be able to help and have that opportunity to be of service of them. But sometimes greed, selfishness, or just fear can hold us back from giving out of love and our hands get tied down.

Because maybe that going out and showing that love in faith and not knowing what will happen next can hold us back sometimes. But you have to happily give even if nothing happens and its like no one even knew you gave. You have to almost want nothing to happen and want almost no one to know when you give out of love. So just the opportunity to step up is the reward.

when you offer up love you are putting your heart into it, it can't be heartless...

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:33 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:If you sow love and hope, you will reap love and hope.

I love that, Courtney!

7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

When it comes to giving money, I tend to let it become a habit. But I overthink money stuff way too much, so I think keeping that as a habit is probably the best thing for me right now... As for other things, I think I'm starting to learn how how to cheerfully give my time and talents. Right now, those things are more valuable to me than money; I think people appreciate them more as well.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
notebooknut

by notebooknut Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:43 am

First off wanted to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING! You all mean a lot to me, and I'm thankful for all of you! Kevin, I am very thankful for you, and all you've done for me in the short time I've been with you guys- and that you take time from your very very busy schedule to do this Bible Study with all of us- I KNOW it really means a lot to everyone!

6 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 9 As it is written:

“They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor;
their righteousness endures forever.”[a]

I like this. We're supposed to give out of the kindness of out heart- not some obligation! Jesus wants to see us loving others as he has loved us!

10 Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

BRUH. DID KEVIN PLAN FOR US TO BE ON THIS CHAPTER THAT LITERALLY SAYS THE WORD THANKSGIVING?! \
My mind is blown....................

12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. 13 Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. 14 And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

Wow, never thought of it that way...When we give with kindness and out of compassion and love- it's like we're gratifying the Lord for all he has given us!
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:07 am

man I loved reading these posts this morning. What a huge blessing. God has given to us freely, and He is teaching us how to be like Him and freely give.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
notebooknut

by notebooknut Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:25 am

Amen, Kevin. I love how this lesson landed on today, too.
God bless, everybody!
Good gosh, I love you all! Seriously! You guys are all amazing! :D
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:39 pm

You know, forgiveness is an offering. At least to the person doing to the forgiving. You think you are holding onto something you have to because someone has wronged you. You think its something you can't let go of like you have some sort of advantage. You might think you are right so you can't let it go. And to forgive you have to let of of everything. All of it. All of your pride, anger, and all those opinions of who is right and wrong. You have to give it all up. And you will probably get nothing for it because the other person either doesn't care or maybe even will think they won because they think you gave up. And sometimes no one even knows you did it, no one but God. Its definitely not something we freely give enough. And its something if we would, God would completely back us up on.

rollerbladegirl

by rollerbladegirl Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:50 am

"Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread and food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness." 2 Corinthians 9:10

I'm sitting here at my computer, crying, because of this. Some days it's really hard to trust in a God you can't see. And even when you've seen miracles in the past performed, you wonder, if one day God will stop. He will stop showing up. I seriously thought about calling a guy posting an ad on Craiglist for...THAT word today. Would selling my body to him be enough to get my family through the holidays? I wanted to scream at God, "where are you? Don't you know I need you?" I have nothing in my account. My dad has just about as much as me. "How am I gonna make it to next week on nothing? Through the rest of the holidays...with nothing?" Every place I applied to get a job this year...fell through. The only reason why I didn't respond to the ad I saw, is because I believe God will show up. He has in the past. He will again. I don't know how. I don't know WHEN. But he is the provider of my needs. God provided a way out last year when I nearly went into the porn industry as an atheist to find love. He will find a WAY to show up again.

"Men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ.." 2 Corinthians 9:13

The Christian walk isn't promised to be easy. But God is worth it. He's worth waiting for an answer I can't see right now.
Beanie19

by Beanie19 Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi everyone. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. This is my first week participating in our study of 2 Corinthians. I am very thankful to be able to be able to go through the Bible with everyone.

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
You know what gives you value? The fact that you belong to God. God is the only thing that gives value because God is the only thing that is forever. God is supreme and over everything on heaven and earth, and nothing on earth we love so much compares to him. And none of that stuff can save you, only God can save you. None of that stuff can love like God can. Those people won't ever love you as much as God does.

Thank you Courtney for posting your second post. I needed to read the whole post but the part I quoted above was really impactful. I know I get really caught up in the things of this world. Your example about obsessing over bands and concerts hit the nail on the head because those type of things tend to be the things that I obsess and find value in. Thank you for reminding me that my value is found in God. I especially liked " God is the only thing that gives value because God is the only thing that is forever." I had never thought about it in those terms before.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Beanie19 wrote:Hi everyone. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. This is my first week participating in our study of 2 Corinthians. I am very thankful to be able to be able to go through the Bible with everyone.

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:

Thank you Courtney for posting your second post. I needed to read the whole post but the part I quoted above was really impactful. I know I get really caught up in the things of this world. Your example about obsessing over bands and concerts hit the nail on the head because those type of things tend to be the things that I obsess and find value in. Thank you for reminding me that my value is found in God. I especially liked " God is the only thing that gives value because God is the only thing that is forever." I had never thought about it in those terms before.

I guess just going to concerts all these years and seeing people want that acknowledgment from a band so bad...a look, a follow on social media, a shout out from the stage...whatever is it, its like that acknowledgment from that person and being known by them makes them mean more. And its not true because we are already worth everything so who cares if some other person equal to you knows you or not. And there's so much more to life and more to our purposes here than becoming known to people who we hold higher than ourselves.

I'm glad you benefited from it. I know it was way random, but something I saw somewhere else just concerned me and I felt like I was suppose to put it here too.

Return to Disciple Bible Study