Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 8

by Kevin Young Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:37 am

This week we will be discussing 2 CORINTHIANS Chapter 8. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 8
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
sassy1506

Re: 2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 8

by sassy1506 Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:27 pm

2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people. 5 And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us.

This is a beautiful thought. The Macedonian churches weren't joyously doing something they were asked to do; they begged for the opportunity to do something greater than necessary. I think that kind of faith and service is definitely evident in many third-world countries today, but less evident in more privileged society.

9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

This is obviously talking about heavenly riches and not worldly stuff. Personally, I think the poor are a lot better off than the rich where faith is concerned. They have less meaningless distractions. *cough* the internet *cough*

10 And here is my judgment about what is best for you in this matter. Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. 11 Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.

I've always tithed out of habit. It's never been a grudging, "I have to do this because God said so" thing, but I probably haven't thought about the significance behind it enough.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
notebooknut

by notebooknut Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:36 pm

I have been ultra stressed lately, trying to finish writing my novel in time for publishing, and I really haven't had time to do anything but school and write. But I know that skipping even one Bible study session is just what the enemy wants for me, and I'm not letting that happen. I'm keeping the Bible first. It's pretty bad that I even have to fight myself on that, huh?

7 But since you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in complete earnestness and in the love we have kindled in you[a]—see that you also excel in this grace of giving.

I want to be that kind of person, man.

I think in a way, giving goes hand and hand with love. And the Bible says that we can speak with the tongue of angels, and do all of this righteous stuff but without love- we speak and it sounds like nothing more than a banging gong. Jesus is a God of love. He gave the ultimate thing you can give- his life. So how selfish are we to not even give someone a winter coat? We're hypocritical in so many ways, it's sad. I'm probably one of the worst. We watch Star Wars, (well, I mean, at least I do lol) and we see Darth Vader giving up his life to save Luke... We think, "wow, so selfless. He's amazing!" And God reminded me that Jesus actually did that. He actually gave up his life for US. Not only that, but he had to feel what it was like to have COMPLETE separation from his Father. That killed him. And not only that. He wasn't only beaten until it was no longer lawful to say that he looked like a man anymore, he wasn't only mocked and adorned a crown of thorns, he wasn't only complying without a fight as nails were driven through him. No. After all of this utter torment, he still knew that he had to face the most horrid thing of this whole experience. Now Jesus had to stand before the Holy, Sinless, Eternal, Infinite, Perfect Father- looking like the scum that we are. He had to lose his innocence. I'd say that he gave the most that anyone ever, and WILL ever give, don't you? And we are to excel in this grace of giving. I'm not too good with that one, to be honest. It's so easy to be selfish that our human nature, our flesh, tends to gravitate towards whatever will give us what WE want, whatever will benefit US the most. Jesus said to take up our cross, to not be afraid. So, I said all of that to say this one thing: Love, and Giving, do go hand and hand. Quite dramatically, actually! He GAVE his life, out of LOVE for us.... Amazing.

10 And here is my judgment about what is best for you in this matter. Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. 11 Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.

This sounds like it's about Tithe and Offering... Is it?

22 In addition, we are sending with them our brother who has often proved to us in many ways that he is zealous, and now even more so because of his great confidence in you. 23 As for Titus, he is my partner and co-worker among you; as for our brothers, they are representatives of the churches and an honor to Christ. 24 Therefore show these men the proof of your love and the reason for our pride in you, so that the churches can see it.

Haha, when I saw the part that says, "So that the churches can see it." part, I heard Loki's voice in my head saying to that old dude in Germany who stood up against him in The Avengers - "Look to your elder, people. Let him be an example." (Woah, I'm a geek.)

Just like that guy, we should be examples of Christ so that not only the church sees it but that everyone does. We are to be examples.

Thank you, and this has been Maddie using too many geek references to explain the Bible. Have a good night. :lol:
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Columbia

by Columbia Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:03 am

Imagine being a part of a church that was highly commended by the Apostle Paul! The Macedonians were essentially Greeks who were poor as Job's turkey. The Corinthians were a more cultured group of Greeks than the Macedonians. The Corinthian church was also extremely wealthy. In America, the Corinthians would have been considered predominantly upper class while the Macedonians would have been well below the poverty level. Yet it is the Corinthians who earned the ire of Paul. He had great hopes for them but was dismayed at their ungodly mess of a church. Had Paul been mainly concerned with personal financial support, the letters to the Corinthians would not have been written as corrective and instructive. To top it off, Paul uses the poorest church of their culture as an example to them. Macedonians didn't tithe. They poured out a huge portion from what little they had! They seem to have caught on to the fact that everything they had belonged to God. They acted as they actually believed. The relief offering for the church at Jerusalem was a priority to the Apostle Paul. Still, he did not commend those who tossed big bags of coins into the offering. He commended the poor little church that would have otherwise most likely been ignored. The language Paul uses almost gives the impression that the Macedonian church floated down from heaven to earth. That is how pure they were. That is how unusual they were. Imagine a person who has enough food to last them for today but they give it to another hungry person. That is about the extent of the generosity of the Macedonians. Do I sound impressed by the Macedonians? You bet I am. These are Christians to be proud of. These are Christians we rarely hear about in church. These are the Christians I used as an example to the poor little church, in the Philippines, where I was once commissioned to preach. When the earthquakes hit Nepal I used the Macedonian example to encourage the church to give a nominal amount for relief. I was only trying to prime the pump. My effort did not turn out like the Apostle Paul's. My wife and I ended up being kicked out of the church! The Macedonians stand as a personal example to me. Living on a dwindling retirement account, that will soon be exhausted, is easier when I look at the Macedonian example. When times of temptation come to cut back or to stop giving, the Macedonians stand strong as examples to follow. Looking to the Macedonians, in the context of the Corinthians, it is clear to me that it is better to die of honest poverty than to live dishonestly for the sake of financial security. (This is verses 1-15 that I am commenting on.) Paul goes on to commend Timothy. Not very sure I can be a Timothy. But I can be inspired to walk in generosity by the Macedonians. The Macedonians, who did not consider adding percentages but gave to those who had great need. These were believers in the statement, "It is better to give than to receive."
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:07 am

Totally random...but you know me I'm random here lol...anyway I just realized that I think today is the day 15 years ago that I tried to kill myself. Well it was a really bad attempt, but it was an attempt. I don't have my old poetry journals to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure its today...ugh I don't wanna read those old things anyway lol.

In case anyone needs a story about why you should stay with us and not end your life, here's my story about my really bad suicide attempt.

Its actually a day I call the worst and best day of my life. I tried to take a bunch of these pills, and it wasn't enough to kill me or even close...but it was enough to make me really sick. I was actually at a college at a weekend church camp in high school, and I was up all night sick while everyone slept. So in the morning I said I needed to go to the doctor and my youth minister took me. I was fine since it was a really bad attempt (it was energy pills -_-). But I was way sick to my stomach so they gave me a shot for that. Then I had to go join the rest of the youth. I didn't have a group because I was late so I didn't know what to do.

I felt terrible still. They were all at lunch and I wasn't hungry. I was sick to my stomach still and on the verge of tears trying to hold them in. I was sitting in the entry way almost crying...and this young man came out of nowhere and asked if I wanted to talk about it. I have no idea who he was if he was a student in college or high school or what...he just hung around all day but wasn't leading a group but he seemed to know other college students there. He was the first person I ever met that understood what I was going through. I talked to him then and later on that night one last time. He told me his name and we exchanged addresses, but he never wrote me back. After that last meeting he disappeared. I couldn't find him later before we left to go back home.

He did so much for me that day, and I still to this day have no idea if he was a real person or if he was an angel. I can't find him anywhere on social media.

So much awesome stuff has happened in those 15 years, plenty of bad stuff, but tons of good stuff too. So much stuff I would have missed, so many awesome people I never would have met. God promised if would be okay, and I clung to that promise and stayed alive. And God kept his promise :).

Anyway, in honor of this day I just wanted to tell anyone reading that it'll be okay and God keeps his promises. Stay with us, it'll be worth it I promise.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
notebooknut

by notebooknut Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:16 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:Totally random...but you know me I'm random here lol...anyway I just realized that I think today is the day 15 years ago that I tried to kill myself. Well it was a really bad attempt, but it was an attempt. I don't have my old poetry journals to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure its today...ugh I don't wanna read those old things anyway lol.

In case anyone needs a story about why you should stay with us and not end your life, here's my story about my really bad suicide attempt.

Its actually a day I call the worst and best day of my life. I tried to take a bunch of these pills, and it wasn't enough to kill me or even close...but it was enough to make me really sick. I was actually at a college at a weekend church camp in high school, and I was up all night sick while everyone slept. So in the morning I said I needed to go to the doctor and my youth minister took me. I was fine since it was a really bad attempt (it was energy pills -_-). But I was way sick to my stomach so they gave me a shot for that. Then I had to go join the rest of the youth. I didn't have a group because I was late so I didn't know what to do.

I felt terrible still. They were all at lunch and I wasn't hungry. I was sick to my stomach still and on the verge of tears trying to hold them in. I was sitting in the entry way almost crying...and this young man came out of nowhere and asked if I wanted to talk about it. I have no idea who he was if he was a student in college or high school or what...he just hung around all day but wasn't leading a group but he seemed to know other college students there. He was the first person I ever met that understood what I was going through. I talked to him then and later on that night one last time. He told me his name and we exchanged addresses, but he never wrote me back. After that last meeting he disappeared. I couldn't find him later before we left to go back home.

He did so much for me that day, and I still to this day have no idea if he was a real person or if he was an angel. I can't find him anywhere on social media.

So much awesome stuff has happened in those 15 years, plenty of bad stuff, but tons of good stuff too. So much stuff I would have missed, so many awesome people I never would have met. God promised if would be okay, and I clung to that promise and stayed alive. And God kept his promise :).

Anyway, in honor of this day I just wanted to tell anyone reading that it'll be okay and God keeps his promises. Stay with us, it'll be worth it I promise.

Ohhhhhh, Courtney. I'm hearing angel. That's what I think, anyway. Because where he came from, and when he came to you. This is amazing. :D I love you, and you're an inspiration to all of us, I believe.
- Maddie

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:05 am

If I could have one wish it would be to know who that guy was and be able to tell him thank you. More than money or anything. Or just to know if he was real and what happened to him. It's the greatest mystery of my life that I don't think God is ever going to solve here. I go searching around Facebook a few times a year looking for him to this day lol.

notebooknut

by notebooknut Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:53 pm

Dude, that is so awesome. God is amazing. He has me speechless which is a pretty hard thing to do haha!
- Maddie

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:55 pm

2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people.

It seems like having more almost keeps you from giving more. Like you're afraid to give it away because you've gotten use to having so much and enjoying it that you don't want to give it up. But really, what are you missing out on? If you give more you might miss out on buying more junk you don't need. Do you see all the ridiculous junk out there for wealthy people? Do you really need all that junk? Well some music out there isn't junk so maybe we need that lol. Or having money for travel...what are you looking at? A bunch of buildings and monuments of wood and stone...some of it historical with meaning, but really still a bunch of wood, dirt, and rocks. The sky above you paints an amazing picture every day that nothing we can build compares to...and you don't have to spend a dime to see it.

Having more just ties us down to greed and want. We get use to all this stupid stuff we can get, and its all meaningless really. When you don't have as much, you aren't tied down to all those wants. And when you don't have much, you know first hand what its like so you want to help people. Its amazing seeing people with little give and say they did it because they know what its like to lack so they wanted to give.

9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

Jesus didn't come to this world as a rich king to rule over us. He came as a servant without riches. He came with nothing and gave everything. So we who were rich in sin and poor in grace could be rich in grace and mercy instead. Which is worth far more than any worldly riches.

11 Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means.

That's something you can remember throughout your life. Finish strong and don't give up when something seems tougher than you thought. We talk a lot of talk, and we don't always follow through and walk the walk. We have so many ideas even with passion, but then nothing comes of it. So whatever you start be sure to stay strong, see the course, and finish strong.

notebooknut

by notebooknut Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:08 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:

It seems like having more almost keeps you from giving more. Like you're afraid to give it away because you've gotten use to having so much and enjoying it that you don't want to give it up. But really, what are you missing out on? If you give more you might miss out on buying more junk you don't need. Do you see all the ridiculous junk out there for wealthy people? Do you really need all that junk? Well some music out there isn't junk so maybe we need that lol.

I just said, "ooooohhhhhhh" at my table... It's a wonder I didn't get weird looks. LOL! Very good point, Court! :D
- Maddie

Columbia

by Columbia Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:47 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:
2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people.

It seems like having more almost keeps you from giving more. Like you're afraid to give it away because you've gotten use to having so much and enjoying it that you don't want to give it up. But really, what are you missing out on? If you give more you might miss out on buying more junk you don't need. Do you see all the ridiculous junk out there for wealthy people? Do you really need all that junk? Well some music out there isn't junk so maybe we need that lol. Or having money for travel...what are you looking at? A bunch of buildings and monuments of wood and stone...some of it historical with meaning, but really still a bunch of wood, dirt, and rocks. The sky above you paints an amazing picture every day that nothing we can build compares to...and you don't have to spend a dime to see it.

Having more just ties us down to greed and want. We get use to all this stupid stuff we can get, and its all meaningless really. When you don't have as much, you aren't tied down to all those wants. And when you don't have much, you know first hand what its like so you want to help people. Its amazing seeing people with little give and say they did it because they know what its like to lack so they wanted to give.

Jesus didn't come to this world as a rich king to rule over us. He came as a servant without riches. He came with nothing and gave everything. So we who were rich in sin and poor in grace could be rich in grace and mercy instead. Which is worth far more than any worldly riches.

11 Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means.

That's something you can remember throughout your life. Finish strong and don't give up when something seems tougher than you thought. We talk a lot of talk, and we don't always follow through and walk the walk. We have so many ideas even with passion, but then nothing comes of it. So whatever you start be sure to stay strong, see the course, and finish strong.

Good points. People work hard to collect a bunch of "junk they don't need." Then when they are old they see it as junk. Then they get rid of it.
Return to Disciple Bible Study