Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

EZEKIEL CHAPTERS 5 & 6

by Kevin Young Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:36 am

This week we will be discussing EZEKIEL Chapters 5 & 6. After you read the chapters, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapters 5 & 6
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: EZEKIEL CHAPTERS 5 & 6

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:06 am

5:1 “Now, son of man, take a sharp sword and use it as a barber’s razor to shave your head and your beard. Then take a set of scales and divide up the hair. 2 When the days of your siege come to an end, burn a third of the hair inside the city. Take a third and strike it with the sword all around the city. And scatter a third to the wind. For I will pursue them with drawn sword. 3 But take a few hairs and tuck them away in the folds of your garment. 4 Again, take a few of these and throw them into the fire and burn them up. A fire will spread from there to all Israel.

5:12 A third of your people will die of the plague or perish by famine inside you; a third will fall by the sword outside your walls; and a third I will scatter to the winds and pursue with drawn sword.

Verse 12 explains what the hair means. Its just what is going to happen to everyone. Notice very few will survive.

5:6 Yet in her wickedness she has rebelled against my laws and decrees more than the nations and countries around her. She has rejected my laws and has not followed my decrees. 7 “Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: You have been more unruly than the nations around you and have not followed my decrees or kept my laws. You have not even conformed to the standards of the nations around you.

That's pretty bad there. God has said before don't marry woman from the other areas and don't do what they do....yet here they are doing worse than that. What they are doing now is worse than just going for whatever everyone else around them is doing.

5:10 Therefore in your midst parents will eat their children, and children will eat their parents. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds. 11 Therefore as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, because you have defiled my sanctuary with all your vile images and detestable practices, I myself will shave you; I will not look on you with pity or spare you.

Reformation Study Bible:
5:10 eat their sons. Cannibalism could be a consequence of a protracted siege (2 Kin. 6:26–29; Lam. 2:20). Moses had warned that this would happen if the nation did not obey (Deut. 28:53–57).

Deuteronomy 28:53-57
53 Because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege, you will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the Lord your God has given you. 54 Even the most gentle and sensitive man among you will have no compassion on his own brother or the wife he loves or his surviving children, 55 and he will not give to one of them any of the flesh of his children that he is eating. It will be all he has left because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege of all your cities. 56 The most gentle and sensitive woman among you—so sensitive and gentle that she would not venture to touch the ground with the sole of her foot—will begrudge the husband she loves and her own son or daughter 57 the afterbirth from her womb and the children she bears. For in her dire need she intends to eat them secretly because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege of your cities.

You know the famine is bad if you're willing to eat your family to stay alive.

So I went back and read Deuteronomy 28...hmmm that all sounds familiar. Its like they really were warned forever ago about this kind of stuff.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Leviticus 26 is the chapter you want to read to find out about all of the warnings that are coming to pass here. Pretty much everything in chapter 5 that is happening is what was warned in Leviticus 26. Seven times seven times seven. But note the hope in Leviticus 26 -- even after all that, if they repent, they will be forgiven. There's hope there yet!!
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:08 pm

lappinglivingwater wrote:Leviticus 26 is the chapter you want to read to find out about all of the warnings that are coming to pass here. Pretty much everything in chapter 5 that is happening is what was warned in Leviticus 26. Seven times seven times seven. But note the hope in Leviticus 26 -- even after all that, if they repent, they will be forgiven. There's hope there yet!!

Yep! It all looks awfully familiar.

Of course God has warned me a million times about stuff that I need to stay away from...yet time and time again I find myself right in that mess he warned me about. Thankful for that hope that's always there.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 pm

10 Therefore in your midst parents will eat their children, and children will eat their parents. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds.

*Insert that one 5-syllable word here*

14 And I will stretch out my hand against them and make the land a desolate waste from the desert to Diblah—wherever they live. Then they will know that I am the Lord.’”

Sometimes it's gotta get really, REALLY terrible before people repent... Humanity is stupid like that...
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:12 pm

sassy1506 wrote:
10 Therefore in your midst parents will eat their children, and children will eat their parents. I will inflict punishment on you and will scatter all your survivors to the winds.

*Insert that one 5-syllable word here*

14 And I will stretch out my hand against them and make the land a desolate waste from the desert to Diblah—wherever they live. Then they will know that I am the Lord.’”

Sometimes it's gotta get really, REALLY terrible before people repent... Humanity is stupid like that...

Lol! I was waiting for someone to do that.

We're still like that though. It has to get really bad before we realize what we are doing. We still fall for idols and we still fall to temptations and lusts of the flesh. And sometimes we gotta get in trouble to finally get our eyes opened. I know I have had to plenty. I have plenty of bad stories from drinking since high school, and it still took me this long to quit. I'm glad God didn't give up on me.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:16 am

Does everybody get the metaphor that's going on with shaving the face in chapter 5?

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:31 am

6:1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face against the mountains of Israel; prophesy against them 3 and say: ‘You mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Sovereign Lord. This is what the Sovereign Lord says to the mountains and hills, to the ravines and valleys: I am about to bring a sword against you, and I will destroy your high places.

"Reformation Study Bible:
6:1–3
Ezekiel’s address to the mountains and hills of Jerusalem as if they were in sight has prompted some to suggest that for part of his ministry Ezekiel was in Israel instead of with the exiles in Babylon. However, though the hills and mountains of Israel were his metaphorical audience, the real audience was the exiles themselves. Compare Ezekiel’s prophecy regarding the people of Edom addressed to Mount Seir (ch. 35)."

Hmm....never really thought about that.

6:5 I will lay the dead bodies of the Israelites in front of their idols, and I will scatter your bones around your altars. 6 Wherever you live, the towns will be laid waste and the high places demolished, so that your altars will be laid waste and devastated, your idols smashed and ruined, your incense altars broken down, and what you have made wiped out.

Sounds like a "look how these other Gods couldn't help you" statement. I've felt God do that to me, not the dead bodies...the show me how worthless my idols are part. Showing me over and over that something I'm not letting go of is worthless and only hurting me, and also saying that I can rid myself of it with him there with me.

6:8 “‘But I will spare some, for some of you will escape the sword when you are scattered among the lands and nations. 9 Then in the nations where they have been carried captive, those who escape will remember me—how I have been grieved by their adulterous hearts, which have turned away from me, and by their eyes, which have lusted after their idols. They will loathe themselves for the evil they have done and for all their detestable practices. 10 And they will know that I am the Lord; I did not threaten in vain to bring this calamity on them.

Reformation Study Bible:
6:8 escape.
Ezekiel introduces the remnant theme (9:8; 11:12, 13; 12:16; 14:22, 23; 20:39–44). The remnant is a group or individual who has experienced some calamity, ordinarily in judgment for sin, and has survived. This group of survivors becomes the nucleus for the continuation of the group: they embody the future hopes of the people, and they inherit the promises of God afresh. The Exile was to be a period of purging and refining so that a pure people would emerge from it.

That's like what God is doing inside us. Purging, refining and leaving only a remnant. Because when you've got a lot of stuff to purge, when its all gone you should feel like only a remnant of you is left because you are a new person. And some impurities are easier to get rid of than others...no wonder God allows us to go through what we do sometimes to purify us when some impurities take a lot more work to burn away.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:34 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:Does everybody get the metaphor that's going on with shaving the face in chapter 5?

Well they weren't suppose to shave it off at all right? So it was shameful to even shave it off in the first place.

Matthew Henry's Commentary:
He must shave off the hair of his head and beard (Ezek. 5:1), which signified God’s utter rejecting and abandoning that people, as a useless worthless generation, such as could well be spared, nay, such as it would be his honour to part with; his judgments, and all the instruments he made use of in cutting them off, were this sharp knife and this razor, that were proper to be made use of, and would do execution. Jerusalem had been the head, but, having degenerated, had become as the hair, which, when it grows thick and long, is but a burden which a man wishes to get clear of, as God of the sinners in Zion. Ah! I will ease me of my adversaries, Isa. 1:24. Ezekiel must not cut off that hair only which was superfluous, but cut it all off, denoting the full end that God would make of Jerusalem. The hair that would not be trimmed and kept neat and clean by the admonitions of the prophets must be all shaved off by utter destruction. Those will be ruined that will not be reformed.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:40 am

I'm not sure where people get this idea of not being able to shave your head, or to cut your beard from. Leviticus 19:27-28 says not to cut a tuft of hair on the top of your head (which was a Canaanite priest practice) or to round the beard (which was how the Egyptian priests styled their beards). Leviticus 21:5 says not to do it -- but this chapter is clearly only addressed to priests, "the sons of Aaron", and not to the general population. Deuteronomy 14:1 says not to cut yourself or make baldness between the eyes for the dead. So these to me aren't warnings about anything really to do with the hair, but rather not to observe the religious worship practices of other religions. If one was to observe the vow of the Nazarite from Numbers 6 (which Paul does as described in Acts 18 and 21) that person was to shave off all of their body hair at both the beginning and ending of the vow, which was an honour to do.

The hair on the face is a natural thing placed ("planted") their by God in the most prominent and visible part of the body. Having a full head of hair has always been associated with strength; and to shave yourself bald was a symbol of sadness and mourning (see Isaiah 3:24). Similarly, Israel (Jerusalem) was planted prominently in the earth for all of the other nations to witness and see. It was meant to be a land of teaching to all other nations how to live according to God's natural ways. (God compares Jerusalem to the hair of the head in Ezekiel 5:5.) But God was so appalled with how Israel chose to live that he showed what He was going to do to them through the example of Ezekiel's hair. God says through Ezekiel "Not only will you (Israel) not follow My instructions in righteousness, but you won't even observe the laws of righteousness that other lesser nations have written," making Israel -- which was meant to be an example to other nations -- actually much worse than other nations. So, God was going to deliberately wipe them off of the "face" of the earth, just like Ezekiel had to deliberately wipe (shave) the hair off of his face. This isn't the first time that God had thought about wiping them all off of the face of the earth. After the Israelites had made the golden calf in Exodus 32, God told Moses, "I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked ["stubborn"] people: now therefore let Me alone, that My wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of [you alone] a great nation." But Moses pleaded for the people, and God stayed His wrath.

Ezekiel 5 is heavily tied to the prophecies that were given in Leviticus 26. So there ends up being a bit of word play between these two chapters. The word "Jerusalem" means "lessons in peace", and it is called "the city of peace" in the Bible. Many of you have heard that the word Salem (shalom) means "peace" in Hebrew. It also means "rest". So Jerusalem was meant to be a city of rest and peace, and example to the world. But it wasn't -- it was a city of abomination. So God said He would remove the Israelites from Jerusalem, which would mean that the city would be able to have peace once the Israelites were gone. Which is exactly what the prophecies of Leviticus 26 say:

And I will scatter you among the heathen, and will draw out a sword after you [just like the blade that would remove the hair from Ezekiel's face]: and your land shall be desolate, and your cities waste. Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths. As long as it lieth desolate it shall rest; because it did not rest in your sabbaths, when ye dwelt upon it.
~Leviticus 26:33-35

And if you compare the punishments of Leviticus 26 with Ezekiel 5, and then compare that to Revelation 6, you will see that all four horsemen of the apocalypse -- pestilence, famine, war, and death -- are given in all three of those chapters. Most notably, 1/3 of Jerusalem is given to pestilence and famine, 1/3 to war, and 1/3 to death (being scattered in the wilderness with a sword chasing them) in Ezekiel 5:12:

A third part of thee shall die with the pestilence, and with famine shall they be consumed in the midst of thee: and a third part shall fall by the sword round about thee; and I will scatter a third part into all the winds, and I will draw out a sword after them.
~Ezekiel 5:12

And the few that were bound in Ezekiel's skirt are the "remnant" discussed at the end of Leviticus 26. These are God's "very elect" that He protects throughout the ages for the benefit of all mankind. And even the elect's work will be tested by fire (see Ezekiel 5:3), as all men's work will be in the day of judgment.

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
~1 Corinthians 3:13-15

notebooknut

by notebooknut Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Kevin, off topic, but not really but totally lol.

I decided to put a little scene in my book (the one where you guys are in the dedication... You should get a copy in January) with you guys, you cool with that? It's super funny and actually, you all help to save the day a little bit!

But I wouldn't want to use that against your permission. So yeah... Just asking.

Is that legal? Lol...
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:20 am

Thus says the Lord God: “Pound your fists and stamp your feet, and say, ‘Alas, for all the evil abominations of the house of Israel! For they shall fall by the sword, by famine, and by pestilence. He who is far off shall die by the pestilence, he who is near shall fall by the sword, and he who remains and is besieged shall die by the famine. Thus will I spend My fury upon them. Then you shall know that I am the Lord, when their slain are among their idols all around their altars, on every high hill, on all the mountaintops, under every green tree, and under every thick oak, wherever they offered sweet incense to all their idols. So I will stretch out My hand against them and make the land desolate, yes, more desolate than the wilderness toward Diblah, in all their dwelling places. Then they shall know that I am the LORD.”
~Ezekiel 6:11-14

This describes the same scene that we see in Isaiah, and in Revelation:

The loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be brought low; the Lord alone will be exalted in that day, but the idols He shall utterly abolish. They shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, from the terror of the Lord and the glory of His majesty, when He arises to shake the earth mightily. In that day a man will cast away his idols of silver and his idols of gold, which they made, each for himself to worship, to the moles and bats, to go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the crags of the rugged rocks, from the terror of the Lord and the glory of His majesty, when He arises to shake the earth mightily.
~Isaiah 2:17-21

So what scene is Ezekiel describing that Israel was to be an example of? Pestilence, famine, and war are three of the four horsemen of the apocalypse that we see in Revelation 6... so where are all of the idols broken in that sequence of events?

I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake [i.e. the earth was shaken]; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind. Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place. And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”
~Revelation 6:12-17

My pastor would always say after this verse, "If you love God, you will be able to stand in that day," because He's not mad at those who love Him. He only pours His wrath out on those who couldn't care less about Him, or who oppose Him.

Ezekiel is describing the return of Christ in these chapters -- the "day of visitation". In the next chapter, when God says, "An end is come, the end is come." That is representative of this present earth age. Remember what Paul said about the Old Testament scriptures:

Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
~1 Corinthians 10:11

That certainly gives us something to think about going forward in this book.

Return to Disciple Bible Study