Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 7

by Kevin Young Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:51 pm

This week we will be discussing 2 CORINTHIANS Chapter 7. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 7
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
notebooknut

Re: 2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 7

by notebooknut Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:28 pm

So, half the time I feel like what I put isn't really an insight and is kinda stupid.... But putting aside my lost for words- I shall continue!

8 Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9 yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance.

I really love those verses. Because sometimes we have to be driven to the place of sorrow to be truly repentant.
So many preachers and teachers leave out the part about repenting when they give their altar calls. And it's such an important thing that simply can not be left out! We have to be sorry to be forgiven. You can't have forgiveness if you never fess up and apologize to the sins that you committed.

11 See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter. 12 So even though I wrote to you, it was neither on account of the one who did the wrong nor on account of the injured party, but rather that before God you could see for yourselves how devoted to us you are. 13 By all this we are encouraged.

All I can say is YES. Once you realize what hot water you're in, it should drive you to the point that you can't handle even looking at yourself. I think God takes delight in this.... Because that's usually when we finally cry out to him pleading for forgiveness at the cross. And that, my friends, is when the heavens shake and the angels cry out with victory because a prodigal son has come home- to where we were intended to be. At the foot of the cross, begging for the blame to be taken away.

2 Make room for us in your hearts. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have exploited no one. 3 I do not say this to condemn you; I have said before that you have such a place in our hearts that we would live or die with you. 4 I have spoken to you with great frankness; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds.

So, I usually don't ask questions, and I usually don't like to... But I read Kevin's post again and that reminded me that there are no quote on quote dumb questions.... So what in the world is he talking about here? I'm really lost when I read that part.... It's embarrassing because I feel like I somehow completely missed something in the story line here. Kevin, anyone, what's he talking about? :lol:
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:28 am

1 Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

Reformation Study Bible:
"let us cleanse ourselves.": We must play an active, vigorous role in sanctification

Absolutely. Its actually really hard to get rid of some of the things in your life that can contaminate you. That's because naturally this stuff is just all around us because the world think its okay. So you can't get away from it that easily.

Like how sometimes when you quit drinking people talk about it like you have cancer like its bad that you quit -_-.

But yeah, to get the stuff out of your life that is causing you to sin and is contaminating you, you are really going to have to work at it.

8 Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it—I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while— 9 yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

Godly sorrow is so important. When you know what you are doing is wrong and you feel bad about it. There's so many people who don't care if what they are doing is wrong as long as it makes them feel good. It's good that you feel that Godly sorrow when you have sinned. The problem would be if you felt nothing.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Columbia

by Columbia Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:41 am

Right at the first part of this chapter I am scratching my head once more. The ESV uses the word "body" where it states, "let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body" (verse 1). The other major English versions use the word "flesh." That's easy. Those two words are interchangeable. But what about "every defilement"? Does this mean we must become perfect in all physical conduct? Well, that doesn't fit the overall message of the Bible to sinful men. Then what about the "spirit"? As a person who believes man is a tri-part being I always thought a person's spirit is perfected at salvation while the body and soul are still faulty. The spirit, as a separate element, has an eternal destiny. The previous destiny for hell is completely reversed to be destined for heaven by the imputation of the righteousness of Christ. This makes sense if you consider the soul as being made up of Intellect, emotions, and will. The naughtiness of the soul is superseded by the perfection of the spirit. The soul becomes perfect as it departs from the body, along with the spirit at death, and the body will be glorified at the end time appearing of Christ. Nice and neat, huh? My conviction that man is a tri-part being holds water so far because if the mind were part of the spirit the spirit would be corrupt. I know my mind is corrupt because I am puzzling over this simple statement now. Whew! Okay, so why is it important to understand the meaning of this idea of cleansing the body and spirit? The answer to that is because this appears to be an imperative. This is a command of Scripture. So, of course, I do not want to ignore it. If the wording was "let us be cleansed" there would be no doubt that the command would be to allow God to cleanse me. But that isn't what it says. Somehow there is to be a conscious act on my part that does not infringe upon the grace of God. So how do I cleanse [u]myself[u] from every defilement? The only thing I can figure out is that I stop willfully doing things that I know are not pleasing to God. The reconciliation for this could be found in Isaiah 26:12 (NET). It says, "O Lord, you make us secure, for even all we have accomplished, you have done for us." So even in cleansing myself it is God who does it for me? Appears so. Now back to the spirit. πνευματος is the Greek noun used here. It is singular and means: spirit, wind, breath, inner being. Ahhhh, inner being! If "inner being" is used along with "body" then it seems to be telling me to cleanse myself inside and outside. The outside may be easy. Staying free of dressing immodestly could take care of that. Not giving the finger or shaking my fist could be two more examples of outward cleansing. Not cussing or using nasty verbiage could also be examples. The inside... Not fantasizing doing harm to someone who hurts or irritates me. Not imagining a bunch of naked women. Not being overpowered by intense unjust anger. Not making decisions to rebel. And so on and so forth. So, this really is not a dilemma to my understanding of man as a tri-part being. "Inner being" can be used as "soul." So with all due respect to dichotomists, a little research while writing seems to have solved my head-scratching. Oops, lots of words. Thanks for reading.
bandmonkey08

by bandmonkey08 Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Now regarding your question about the young women who are not yet married. I do not have a command from the Lord for them. But the Lord in his mercy has given me wisdom that can be trusted, and I will share it with you. Because of the present crisis, I think it is best to remain as you are. If you have a wife, do not seek to end the marriage. If you do not have a wife, do not seek to get married. But if you do get married, it is not a sin. And if a young woman gets married, it is not a sin. However, those who get married at this time will have troubles, and I am trying to spare you those problems.
verses 25-28 NLT

it's pretty black and white to me-- young people need to stop seeking out marriage. i know far too many my age who are OBSESSED with it.
as for me? i've taken that thought off the agenda-- taking Paul's wisdom as advice.
~Liz

"i choose to be alive
especially because the
odds say i should die"
-lacey sturm

We are the Alliance:
http://www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
Carrie t

by Carrie t Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:50 pm

First just to say I LOVE reading all your insights and ideas in these Bible Studies- although I rarely post anything. And Notebooknut, yes I call yours insight and thank you for sharing your thoughts and heart!

To me this chapter speaks Relationship. -Because of His promise that He lives in us and calls us His children( end of Ch 6 leading into this), we strive to keep ourselves clean and pure . - not that we can but that when we don't we repent and sometimes I just have to ask Him to make that my heart's desire, because often it isn't.. He wants to walk with us!
The rest of the chapter speaks to me of relationship with our adopted family. Because we are human relationships are messed up. They take work and trust and forgiveness and decision and sacrifice. Not always my heart's desire either! There were so many false teachers that would slander and backstab Paul and others,They made people question whether Paul was genuine. He spoke truth in love in order to keep believers from falling into sin and being swayed by false teachers- they can sound so right! I for one can get pretty offended when I think I'm right but wow can I ever be wrong sometimes! Wow does that kind of thing put a strain on relationships! But he continues to work at encouraging and building up all those he travels to and writes to. He keeps proving that we can trust God, over and over. He IS who He says He is, and He KEEPS His promises!
You were the only one that could ever calm my sea
That separated me from what You knew I could be
Only You
notebooknut

by notebooknut Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:52 pm

Carrie t wrote:First just to say I LOVE reading all your insights and ideas in these Bible Studies- although I rarely post anything. And Notebooknut, yes I call yours insight and thank you for sharing your thoughts and heart!

Awwww, well thank you so much! I wasn't having the best day that day- it was one of those, "I'm a sucky writer anyway so I should just give up now and forget about it and never pick up a pen again! I'll just quit the bible study!" aaaand that's when I realized that those thoughts came from the enemy. I didn't know that until the quitting Bible study thought came to mind. The devil has really been trying to get me to quit the Bible study most likely because it's gotten me way closer to the Lord and I don't cave in to every temptation like before! And so I'm NOT going to give up because that's EXACTLY what he wants.

I shall prevail! ;)
- Maddie

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:43 pm

notebooknut wrote:
Carrie t wrote:First just to say I LOVE reading all your insights and ideas in these Bible Studies- although I rarely post anything. And Notebooknut, yes I call yours insight and thank you for sharing your thoughts and heart!

Awwww, well thank you so much! I wasn't having the best day that day- it was one of those, "I'm a sucky writer anyway so I should just give up now and forget about it and never pick up a pen again! I'll just quit the bible study!" aaaand that's when I realized that those thoughts came from the enemy. I didn't know that until the quitting Bible study thought came to mind. The devil has really been trying to get me to quit the Bible study most likely because it's gotten me way closer to the Lord and I don't cave in to every temptation like before! And so I'm NOT going to give up because that's EXACTLY what he wants.

I shall prevail! ;)

Never ever quit the study! You're such a huge part of this, Maddie! Honestly, I've kinda been in the same place lately. Not with all out quitting the study, more like stepping back from posting so much 'cause I feel like I don't really contribute anything.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:52 pm

I feel like I don't have much to say sometimes too. Even though you may not have much to say, you're both very appreciated here :cool:
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
notebooknut

by notebooknut Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:44 pm

^ AWWWWW!!!! TO ALL THOSE THINGS!

I love you guys!!!!

And I love the reaction I get when I tell people that apart of the same Bible study with Kevin Young and he called me by name a few times. They usually flip and are like, "WHAT?!? HOWWWW?!?" So that's always fun!

But seriously, without Kevin, without all of you wonderful people on here- I dunno where I'd be today. Not on the road I'm on now, that's for sure! So I praise God for putting all of you amazing people in my life just at the right time! I love you all!!! :D
- Maddie

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:49 am

Praise God for good friends, and good Bible studies :)

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:59 am

I don't think people realize how just the life they've lived that gives them a different perspective on the scriptures can be so awesome here. You don't have to say anything super deep to contribute. Sometimes just some quick thing someone says that's coming at a verse differently than I do means something to me.

I know having a bible study that I can write my thoughts instead of say them has helped me. I'll just never be able to speak as well as I write. I do not talk this much at in person bible studies...I don't speak at all at those type actually.

Although with my Youtube videos, I don't write out what I want to say anymore and keep looking at the paper. I just talk it out a few times and maybe have to restart a couple of times...but I'll get it without a "script", which is a big improvement I think. They just won't ever sound as good as when I write on the same subject. But that's why I do what I do, I use my strengths for the kingdom despite my weaknesses :).

Columbia

by Columbia Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:10 am

I have a confession to make. Whenever I write on this page it is done before I read the other posts. It always encourages me to see that the Lord is hitting more than just me in some of the same things. Am a bit nervous about someone thinking I am stealing ideas but this is working well.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:19 am

Columbia wrote:I have a confession to make. Whenever I write on this page it is done before I read the other posts. It always encourages me to see that the Lord is hitting more than just me in some of the same things. Am a bit nervous about someone thinking I am stealing ideas but this is working well.

I think even when some of us are thinking the same thing, everyone words it differently. And that's good too because one way can bless someone more than another.

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 am

I love you guys. Can we have a giant internet group hug?
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 am

I thought we just did ;)

notebooknut

by notebooknut Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:11 am

You guys are seriously such a blessing. I never shut up about all ya'll (and Kevin.) :D If we just had a group hug, I missed it so let's just do it again! :mrgreen:
- Maddie

Stephanie

by Stephanie Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:47 pm

1 Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body and spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God.

I find that the things that defile us is not always clear. The Bible is clear on some things, but what about those grey areas? Where is the defining line?
8 I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while. 9 Now I am glad I sent it, not because in hurt you, but because the pain caused you to change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants his people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way.

So I had this incident with a friend that I had not talked to in a long time. I tried to share the gospel with her, but I worded something wrong and she thought that I was implying something that she found hurtful. The way she reacted is how I would expect someone to possibly react when something convicts them and they don't want to admit that there is sin their life, but I don't know if that is the case with her. She doesn't want to hear from me again so all I can do is pray that these verses become real in our situation.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:56 am

Stephanie wrote:
1 Because we have these promises, dear friends, let us cleanse ourselves from everything that can defile our body and spirit. And let us work toward complete holiness because we fear God.

I find that the things that defile us is not always clear. The Bible is clear on some things, but what about those grey areas? Where is the defining line?
8 I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while. 9 Now I am glad I sent it, not because in hurt you, but because the pain caused you to change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants his people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way.

So I had this incident with a friend that I had not talked to in a long time. I tried to share the gospel with her, but I worded something wrong and she thought that I was implying something that she found hurtful. The way she reacted is how I would expect someone to possibly react when something convicts them and they don't want to admit that there is sin their life, but I don't know if that is the case with her. She doesn't want to hear from me again so all I can do is pray that these verses become real in our situation.

Okay its like 4am so this answer might be good it might suck lol.

I think it is black and white, something either causes you to stray from God or not. You are either focused on God or not. God is first in your life or not. I don't see a place for grey area there. I'm probably thinking of the word idol more than defile here, but its the same thing I guess. I think if you have to question if something is defiling you or has become an idol in your life that's already a sign it might be an idol. Anything can be an idol if you put it before God and are concern more with that thing or person or whatever before God. And anything can defile you if it causes you to stray and take away God as your priority. Anything can defile your mind and take its focus away from God and the word. Anything can defile your heart and cause its love to stray from God to other things.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:14 am

Stephanie wrote:

I'm also not sure where the grey areas are. The dividing line is rather clear-cut. God gave us a set of instructions on how to behave, the law, governed by faith and love, and signified by conscience. If we break those commandments, we defile ourselves, and our conscience lets us know that.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
~1 Corinthians 14:33

If we can all learn to follow those instructions, which is to say if we can all learn to love one another, we can have peace, and will be cleansed in flesh and in spirit.
Last edited by lappinglivingwater on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Disciple Bible Study