Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 4

by Kevin Young Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:05 am

This week we will be discussing 2 CORINTHIANS Chapter 4. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 4
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
notebooknut

Re: 2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 4

by notebooknut Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:31 am

"Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. 2 Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God."

I like this verse a lot. There's a lot of truth behind it.
I was on this site the other day, where I post my books and fan fictions and stuff. And this girl was really loving my book. Out of no where, God told me to Private Message her and witness to her. And I was like, "What? How?" and He laid it on my heart to tell her about Disciple. Because in one of my fan fics, these people were driving, and the one character insisted on listening to Disciple. In which, I mentioned was a real band and they're amazing so anyone reading it should look them up. So anyways, I just messaged her and asked if she had looked them up yet. And God told me that if she hadn't, tell her to look up "Radical". And after that, if she asks spiritual questions, give her the answers, just don't push. Then be still. Well, I did that. Which Radical has such a blatant message of the gospel in it that was best for her to hear. "The road to HELL is wide- but to HEAVEN it's One way, One truth, ONE life." So anyways, she looked them up and REALLY liked you guys. But then I found out that she not only listened to Radical, but TONS of your songs. Then she messaged me and said that she may be seeing you guys in concert in a little bit. So Kevin, guys, please pray for her. Her name is Maddy, (haha sounds familiar) and just pray that she'll find salvation, and God will really help that little seed that I planted grow.

Okay, so I said ALL of that to say this: Witnessing doesn't always have to be this scary, big deal. In fact, it's often as easy as telling a friend about this crazy awesome band called Disciple. ;) And most importantly, when witnessing, you should never distort the word of God. Because that's a false witness. And there is nothing worse than giving someone brand spanking new in the Lord false information. They may be living a completely sinful life, but think they're fine because they said a prayer when they were ten. Because well, that's what someone told them! We have to be careful always to NEVER, EVER distort God's holy word. It can do a lot more harm than we think.

"6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,”[a] made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ."

Through all, God's light should shine through. I have a feeling that if Maddy does go to the concert, and meets you guys, something extraordinary is going to happen. She is gonna see the light in you all. The light that only comes from Jesus Christ. Like - no one is that nice without Christ in them. And let me tell you, you can see the light in you all. So that's another thing: Being Christians is one thing- being the light is another. We need to live that way because that can also change lives immensely!

"13 It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.”[b] Since we have that same spirit of[c] faith, we also believe and therefore speak, 14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. "

Hehe, the "It is written" part made me think of Narnia when Aslan is like, "I was there when it was written!"

"15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God."

This is a cool insight that I wanted to share... Think about this- the joy of the Lord is our strength. But- we are the Lord's joy. That is the joy that drove him to where he was screaming, "Father, have you forsaken Me?" Because just think: the Bible says that when someone finds salvation, and their names are written down in the book of Life, it shakes the heavens. The angels cry out in a song of victory. So tell me, what greater joy would it be to a Father when his child returns home? We are all prodigal sons and daughters. And He finds no greater joy when we finally surrender and come back home. :D

I just rambled on for SO long! I'm sorry!
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Skilletx6

by Skilletx6 Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:03 am

Amazing post, Maddie. I will be praying for Maddy. Hopefully the Lord will work.
notebooknut

by notebooknut Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 am

Thank you man, you're the best!

Haha, it's kinda funny how that sounded redundant with the two different spellings of my name!
- Maddie

Skilletx6

by Skilletx6 Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:22 am

That is cool
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:35 am

I wrote this Monday. I had a really bad couple of days after that to the point I was thinking "these verses are a bunch of bull I am crushed and destroyed right now!" Apparently God knew I would feel that way so he made me write this ahead of time to help me later. Because I was like "why am I writing all this?" At the moment.

7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Oh this is a good chapter! I love being able to say its God and not me! God can do so much more than I can. I would much rather be a simple jar of clay with a treasure inside from God than a shimmering jeweled vessel on the outside full of only dust and ash.

8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

It’s so true! We are indeed pressured and pressed and taken to our limits at times…or at least what we think is our limits. Sometimes we doubt ourselves and we can in fact be pushed harder than we believe we can. We are sometimes stronger than we think. We are not crushed though because we do indeed endure and overcome. How can we be crushed when the hand of God is over us? But we can be perplexed at times, wondering how long this hurt and pain will last? Why is it happening at all, and why has God left us? Yes we are left wondering and doubting at times. But we are never without hope because though we waver at times, God never does waver and God is always there. So there is no true despair though we think we feel it at times. True despair does not exist for us because we can never lose hope. And we are never abandoned and left for dead because God is everywhere and can never left us…though it feels like he has drifted from sight at times.

You may feel like you have been left to struggle alone, but that is not true and can never be true! And you may have fallen today or been taken down by the worries of life and the never ending temptations of sin always pulling at us trying to taken us down into the dirt and filth…though you fall you will not shatter; you will not break or bust. The fall can still hurt and we feel shame for falling at all. Feeling dirty like the earth covering our bruised skin. Sometimes we have to fall I guess…so we can learn to get back up, over and over get back up every time we fall. As long as you get back up you will not be destroyed. You must not lay down and die after your fall, you must get back up.

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Life really does feel like its eating away at you sometimes doesn’t it? Physically we really are wasting away day after day, aging and decaying with every moment we are here. Even at times slowly losing our minds to the worries and stresses of life. Seeking poisons and potions to wipe those dreaded thoughts away, instead you are just pouring acid onto your mind allowing it to be eaten away even faster than before to the chasing of ghosts and dragons. So when you do focus on this world and what is seen, you will only waste away because nothing here will last. Everything you see is slipping away as you speak to time as it passes us by.

But God never dies, never ages, never decays. Time is meaningless to him. God is forever. All that is unseen in the heavens is forever. And that unseen eternal father of us all is living inside every single one of us. And though he allows many struggles to happen to us, with every day we endure we are renewed.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Columbia

by Columbia Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Verse 2 particularly fascinates me this morning: "But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God." An entire sermon could be preached with this verse as the primary text. (Lord willing, I probably will do just that at some point after my wife and me relocate to the USA to be involved in preaching and ministry there). The first thing Paul does is to make a confession/testimony on behalf of his entire group. You can't "renounce" something without having once been involved in it. So what does Paul mean by, "disgraceful, underhanded ways"? That is defined in the following sentence where Paul cites cunning and tampering with God's word. This implies that Paul and his companions once used dishonest control tactics on people while using God's word to justify what they were doing. (The time period for their former treacheries is not stated). There are many slick preachers, around the globe today, who use dishonest control tactics on a regular basis. Way back in Bible college we were warned to watch out for the temptations of money, sex, and power in the ministry. Those who are slick enough to use cunning, and who do tamper with God's word, have likely fallen to at least one of these areas of temptation. Having become carnal they must now use unscrupulous means in order to feed their fall. To "renounce" these things is not easy. To resist these things is also hard but can be done if ministers of the gospel of Jesus Christ hold themselves accountable to Him. This usually also takes an accountability group of people who are sold out to Christ in all sincerity. "We would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God." Commend themselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God how? - "By the open statement of the truth." When a person stands in front of a group of people who are empowered and controlled by the Lord, and presents God's word honestly, that person is revealed to be real. This is quite a contrast against a person who would use
2 Corinthians 4 to imply, "Well, after all, we are all just Jars of Clay. Therefore God can even accept homosexual behavior as long as it is practiced in love." When this idea is stated openly, by a person who had held the esteem of Christians for decades, the result is tragic. It behooves us to follow good godly examples in Christ. It also behooves us to never become so loyal to them that we will accept anything and everything they will ever say as truth. Paul and his friends gave the right example to the rebellious Corinthian church. And they gave them a how-to way to follow that example. Discipleship at its best.
Last edited by Columbia on Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:16 am

1 Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart.

I just noticed that we start with “do not lose heart” and then we end with it. That’s something you should read every day though so it’s important enough to be in this chapter twice. It’s so easy to lose heart sometimes. How do you lose heart? When you lose faith you lose heart. When you give up love and hope you lose heart. So to keep heart you have to stay faithful no matter what is happening. You can’t get full scar of callouses and scar tissue when you get wounded. Because no matter how hard you try, you’re going to get wounded sometimes. We all fall and get hurt, but you can’t lay down and die, you have to get back up. And you can’t give up on love and hope. You can’t give up on our mission we have been given here. You can’t lose your heart to the world, because they are going the total opposite way sometimes. When the world’s current is going the wrong way you have to stand firm.

3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Reformation Study Bible:
4:3 The veil imagery continues from 3:14–16. Those who are presently perishing (not believing in Christ) are blinded to the truth.
4:4 the god of this world. Satan (cf. 1 John 5:19) strongly influences this fallen, evil world that continues until the time Christ returns and brings in fully the age to come (cf. Gal. 1:4).
has blinded. The result is that unbelievers cannot appreciate or fully understand the claims of the gospel, unless God through the gospel enlightens them (4:6; John 3:3).

It’s so true! The world is totally backwards sometimes. And you are wasting your time trying to discuss any of it because they are absolutely blinded. Like this concept of how you can love someone even though you don’t agree with them on everything. So many people don’t seem to understand that I could disagree with them on everything, but I would take a bullet for them in a heartbeat if I had to. Or just valuing life…this world does not value life but life is the only thing with any value on earth.

notebooknut

by notebooknut Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:24 am

ECCENTRICSHEP wrote:
It’s so true! The world is totally backwards sometimes. And you are wasting your time trying to discuss any of it because they are absolutely blinded.

Courtney, I envy your writing skills. :D
- Maddie

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:27 pm

notebooknut wrote:
ECCENTRICSHEP wrote:
It’s so true! The world is totally backwards sometimes. And you are wasting your time trying to discuss any of it because they are absolutely blinded.

Courtney, I envy your writing skills. :D

Oh geez, you're too kind, I'm not sure if skills has anything to do with it. I wouldn't have anything to say if God didn't give me the words.

notebooknut

by notebooknut Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:08 pm

I dunno what they are but between you and Kevin--I get goose bumps! Like I recorded Kevin's latest speech at the last concert I was at, and I cried a little bit then and I cry almost everything I watch it again.

I was listening to it the other day, and my dad goes, "Shut that off before he makes me cry!" haha!

I think I've teared up with your posts before, Courtney! God has given you a guest, girlfriend! Never stop.
- Maddie

WanderingStar
Bouncer

by WanderingStar Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Maddie, that is such a cool story about how you found a way to start that kind of conversation with your friend-- definitely an encouraging reminder. :)

Courtney, I feel like we always have the same favorite verses in a chapter. I love your thoughts on verses 7-8 and 16-18; they are some of my very favorites.

2 Cor 4:10-12 wrote:We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.

Sometimes just the fact that the marketing for the gospel is so counter-intuitive is part of what convinces me it's true; no one would make this stuff up as a religion sales pitch. I've heard it said that the call to follow Christ is essentially "come and die" (to yourself, to an old identity, and even sometimes literally through martyrdom). I love how beautifully Paul expresses that call here, talks about how he's lived it. Walking in the footsteps of Jesus often means facing down death itself, but even that only reveals Him more fully.
- Mary

"Is it OK to not know, not have the answers, and simply be someone who is searching for Someone to save me?"

We are the Alliance:
www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
www.twitter.com/discipalliance
notebooknut

by notebooknut Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you, Mary! But I don't want any of the glory! It allll belongs to God! He just happened to use the awesome guys from Disciple AKA JoeKevSonDrew! (and yeah, I did make a mash up of all their names because I have nothing better to do when I'm supposed to be doing Algebra but stalling.) :mrgreen:
- Maddie

notebooknut

by notebooknut Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:23 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOEY WEST!! :D :D
- Maddie

Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:57 pm

17For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

Man I love this!!!! They were facing DEATH! And they said, "Our present troubles are small!" It makes my troubles seem even smaller. Our attitude is determined by how choose to "fix" it. The attitude of an airplane determines it's flight path... if the attitude is above the horizon, it will gain altitude. It the attitude is below the horizon, it will lose altitude. Paul said, "we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen." We must "fix" our gaze on the same thing! Because if we continue looking down on the problems of this world we will lose altitude. But if we are looking up to the things that we cannot see, WE WILL GAIN ALTITUDE!!! Attitude is everything.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
notebooknut

by notebooknut Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Kevin Young wrote:
17For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

Man I love this!!!! They were facing DEATH! And they said, "Our present troubles are small!" It makes my troubles seem even smaller. Our attitude is determined by how choose to "fix" it. The attitude of an airplane determines it's flight path... if the attitude is above the horizon, it will gain altitude. It the attitude is below the horizon, it will lose altitude. Paul said, "we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen." We must "fix" our gaze on the same thing! Because if we continue looking down on the problems of this world we will lose altitude. But if we are looking up to the things that we cannot see, WE WILL GAIN ALTITUDE!!! Attitude is everything.

Man, you're deep, bro! So, so true though! If we use a GPS - and type in the wrong coordinates - we won't end up where we are supposed to be! We'll end up some place that we weren't index to be in the first place. Which is why we must "put in the coordinates to the cross" and then and only then will we reach where God intended us to be. It's so easy to assume that the GPS (aka holy spirit) is wrong, or somehow made a mistake in its judgment for direction. So we decide to take another, much easier rode to go down. We cut some corners to make the journey easier on ourselves. But when we realize that that GPS WAS right, and WE were wrong- we'll end up lost. Hopelessly lost. BUT that doesn't mean there's no hope. It just means that we'll have to rely on the GPS once again to navigate us back to the road that we were meant to be on originally. We gotta have the right attitude about it all though. If we go the hard road, the ONLY road, we'll gain altitude!
- Maddie

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Yes it is true...knowing that any struggle I go through is small indeed compared by my brothers who have literally faced death...it is all the more empowering to know that if they can face death and keep hope, that I can face this can keep hope as well.

I also know that any strife or struggle...internal or external...that feels unbearable to anyone, can feel as if one is facing death. The fact that one does not have a sword to their throat does not make their pain any less valid to me...because I know for them in that moment, it is utter despair for them, it is their lowest of low even if that it not someone else's lowest. Sometimes we are facing death, but its by our own hands...hands around our throat no one else can see.

And those hands have the strongest grip when one is stuck looking inward and not looking at the bigger picture. When you can't see those around you...those who love you, those who depend on you, those who can't live without you, those who dearly need you to keep moving because they are going to need your help in the future. When you just see yourself and your despair, you think the world is better off without you, and those hands can form an iron grip if you don't look around you. God's painting this amazing picture; its huge and beautiful and hard to see the whole thing. So you've gotta look up and around you to see it all, and its so big you still won't see it all...and all its amazing little details so carefully brushed and shaped.

Vambram

by Vambram Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:57 am

This chapter is one of the best chapters in ALL of the epistles written by the Apostle Paul. The verbal, plenary inspiration of the Holy Spirit upon Paul is very clearly evident within every word, jot, and title, of these Scriptures. Everyone's commentary here and personal insights into verses in chapter 4 of 2nd Corinthians is really a blessing to read.

I love how the Scriptures here highlight the path and mission that every Christian has, and its awesome to be reassured by the promises of eternal life and joy at the end of this chapter.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
(2 Corinthians 4:5 KJV)

As Christians sharing the message and the power of the Gospel of Christ, we neither proclaim our own wisdom nor power; we have nothing but what we have received; we do not wish to establish our own authority, nor to procure our own profit. We proclaim him as Jesus, Yehoshua, the Savior and Deliverer, who saves men from their sins. Christians ought to proclaim Jesus of Nazareth to be the long-expected Messiah; and that there will be none other. Not only that, but we ought to tell everyone that this Jesus the Messiah to be the Lord of ALL, the great Ruler who has all power in heaven and earth; who made and governs the world; and who can save to the uttermost all that come to God through Him. The Apostle Paul proclaimed to the Corinthian church that he and those with him are the church's servants for the sake of Jesus Christ and His Gospel. Likewise, us believers today ought to have the same servant-hood attitude in order to best proclaim the message of the Gospel and serve our Lord.

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
(2 Corinthians 4:6 KJV)

The Lord has given to us Christians in our hearts the glorious light of the Gospel, in a similar manner that He has gave the world the powerful light of the sun. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is no human invention; and is as far beyond the power of man’s wisdom and might, as the creation of the world is beyond all created power, energy, and skill.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
(2 Corinthians 4:7 KJV)

It is really awesome and a blessing to know that God keeps us continually dependent upon Himself; we have nothing but what we have received, and we receive every necessary supply just when it is necessary; and have nothing at our own command. The good therefore that is done is so evidently from the power of God, that none can pretend to share the glory with Him. Remember, without Him we can do nothing, but through the Lord all things are possible according to His will.

We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.
(2 Corinthians 4:8-11 KJV)

According to the Apostle Paul, the Lord called him and his fellow missionaries to submit to constant trials of persecution, poverty, peril, and want, in order that they might be humbled, and that God might manifestly have all the glory. The same is true today for all believers who have been called to share the saving power of the Gospel of Christ. But who is called? According to Jesus Christ in the Great Commission, and according to the epistles from Paul, Peter, James, and John, ALL Christians are called to be a witness for Jesus and a living testimony of Christ's Gospel, the good news of the death, burial, resurrection, salvation, and 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, our Savior. When we do this, the life of Jesus is made evident in our own lives and mortal bodies.

Knowing that he which raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present us with you.
(2 Corinthians 4:14 KJV)

This is an amazing promise which has tons and tons of power behind it. Jesus Christ Himself will present His Church before the throne of glory with exceeding joy and honor. He will present us to God as those who have been redeemed by his blood. He will present us in the courts of heaven, before the throne of the eternal Father, as HIS ransomed people; as recovered from the ruins of the fall; as saved by the merits of his blood. Believers will not only be raised up from the dead; but also will be publicly and solemnly presented to God as HIS, as recovered to HIS service, and as having a title in the covenant of grace to the blessedness of heaven. Amen!!!
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
cindyddavis

by cindyddavis Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:38 am

Hey guys! thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I got out of rehab last Monday and I'm living in a half way house in palm beach, florida. I'm doing an intensive outpatient program and I have a lot of work to do. I've kept this part of my life secret for so long that it's really hard to be open about it. But I recommitted my life to God and renewed my baptism last Saturday and I feel really good. I don't know what the future holds for me and I don't have to if I listen to and do what God tells me..
Thanks for letting me ramble..like you had a choise lol

My favorite verse from this chapter...
Therefore do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day..
notebooknut

by notebooknut Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:51 am

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing so good! :D I'm keeping up my prayers!
- Maddie

Return to Disciple Bible Study