Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Vambram

Re: 2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 4

by Vambram Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:08 pm

cindyddavis wrote:Hey guys! thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I got out of rehab last Monday and I'm living in a half way house in palm beach, florida. I'm doing an intensive outpatient program and I have a lot of work to do. I've kept this part of my life secret for so long that it's really hard to be open about it. But I recommitted my life to God and renewed my baptism last Saturday and I feel really good. I don't know what the future holds for me and I don't have to if I listen to and do what God tells me..
Thanks for letting me ramble..like you had a choise lol

My favorite verse from this chapter...
Therefore do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day..

Like everyone else here, I will keep you in my prayers, Cindy.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Columbia

by Columbia Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:40 am

cindyddavis wrote:Hey guys! thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I got out of rehab last Monday and I'm living in a half way house in palm beach, florida. I'm doing an intensive outpatient program and I have a lot of work to do. I've kept this part of my life secret for so long that it's really hard to be open about it. But I recommitted my life to God and renewed my baptism last Saturday and I feel really good. I don't know what the future holds for me and I don't have to if I listen to and do what God tells me..
Thanks for letting me ramble..like you had a choise lol

My favorite verse from this chapter...
Therefore do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day..

Cindy, I don't know you but this encourages me. Have lost several friends from my wild younger days. Sometimes feel guilty for being the survivor but it is all the grace of God for His glory. "Do not lose heart." God's blessings to you. - Jerry
New_Creation

by New_Creation Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:26 am

2 Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.

I'm a big fan of 'setting forth the truth plainly'. I've always been the type of person who likes things to make sense - hence my interest in science and engineering (and in sound theology!). I think that in many cases, some Christians can easily make the mistake of saying vague emotional statements or using heavy religious language in order to sound more spiritual or to attempt to elicit some sort of an emotional response from others. In doing so, I believe that they do God's Word a disservice.
I've recently taken a fair bit of interest in US politics, mostly because of one of the presidential candidates, Dr Ben Carson, whom I have an enormous amount of respect for. He is a great example of setting forth the truth plainly. Unlike other politicians who like to either make broad sweeping generalisations, insulting remarks or vague statements that don't really say anything, Dr Carson always seems soft-spoken and reasonable. He never backs down from the truth but doesn't try to beat people over the head with it. I think that's the kind of approach that Paul is advocating in this verse.

13 It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.”

Seeing isn't believing. Speaking is believing. I definitely think this verse is challenging me to speak a bit more about what I believe.

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

This part is awesome. It sounds like a battle speech or something. It's one of the most encouraging verses in the Bible. No matter how tough things get (and realistically for most of us things will never be as bad as what the believers faced in the time period this letter is written in), God is always with us, and there is an eternal reward waiting for us.
Stephanie

by Stephanie Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:10 pm

6 For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.

Sounds like the same light that God shone through Jesus while he was on earth, He wants to shine in our hearts and let it shine through us.
7 We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like the fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

Interesting that both Lamentations and 2 Corinthians talk about clay jars, but both in entirely different connotations. What I get from this is that when we have a relationship with God we are like jars containing valuble treasure, as mentioned in the verse. But Lamentations talks about Israel as if they emptied their own jars of the treasure by turning away from God. So could it mean that without God our lives don't hold a lot of value?
9 We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed.

Sort of scary but comforting at the same time. I don't like the thought of being persecuted, but I need to remember that God is always there giving me strength.
17 For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they will produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! 18 So we don't look look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

Exciting. Whatever persecution we may go through we can find joy in the fact that it will end.
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:18 pm

I've loved reading all these posts this week!

Cindy, I'm so insanely happy for you! I'm keeping up the prayers!

New_Creation wrote:
2 Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.

I've recently taken a fair bit of interest in US politics, mostly because of one of the presidential candidates, Dr Ben Carson, whom I have an enormous amount of respect for. He is a great example of setting forth the truth plainly. Unlike other politicians who like to either make broad sweeping generalisations, insulting remarks or vague statements that don't really say anything, Dr Carson always seems soft-spoken and reasonable. He never backs down from the truth but doesn't try to beat people over the head with it. I think that's the kind of approach that Paul is advocating in this verse.

I'm totally with you! I've never been a fan of politics, but I'm a big Ben Carson fan. I remember hearing that he really didn't want to go into politics, but he did what he felt God wanted him to do. We need more leaders like that. He's got my vote!

Stephanie wrote:
7 We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like the fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

Interesting that both Lamentations and 2 Corinthians talk about clay jars, but both in entirely different connotations. What I get from this is that when we have a relationship with God we are like jars containing valuble treasure, as mentioned in the verse. But Lamentations talks about Israel as if they emptied their own jars of the treasure by turning away from God. So could it mean that without God our lives don't hold a lot of value?

I noticed that, too! I put my thoughts on that in the Lamentations thread, but I think the way you said it is better!

10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.

If you want to know someone, go to their funeral. People have to carry the weight of their grief, but they're also given the joy of sharing in the legacy of the deceased. We're called to carry out Jesus' legacy, and that's really freaking amazing.

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

This group of verses has been one of my favorites for years; especially verse 18. I have trouble focusing on the important things, and this verse always me refocus.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:12 am

Cindy!!!!

That's so awesome, and I'm so proud of you!

Kevin
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
cindyddavis

by cindyddavis Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:45 am

Thank you all for your kind words! I missed this Bible study most of all when I was in rehab. I'm exited to get back into it!
Kevin: I'm gonna start bugging some churches down here to do a show! I see your on the west coast now but I'll get ya down here to Florida!
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:46 am

I had went on a tangent for a while to study Proverbs, and so I missed a bit of this Bible study. I read chs 1-4 this morning and there are two really cool things that come up in chapter 4.

1) In verse 6, Paul puts on the "prophetic decoder ring", and interprets a prophetic image for us. "Light" = "knowledge" in prophetic imagery. One might say, "But Christ is the light." True - and what else did everyone call Christ during His ministry? "Rabbi", which is to say "Master teacher". Christ constantly, constantly taught people the knowledge of God... even when He was nailed on the cross, He was still quoting scripture and teaching people the meaning of what was happening to Him. So when Christ talks about us being the "light of the world", to me He's saying that we too have been given the word of God, the true knowledge of what matters in this life, and that we should disperse it accordingly -- and simply and plainly as Paul says in these first few chapters -- to everyone around us.

2) Verse 13 has a quote from Psalm 116:10: "I believed, and therefore have I spoken." Action is driven by belief. This is a super cool concept that the Bible teaches that actually was just taught (not in a Christian way, but just the principle) in a master's class on management that I was sent to for work. It's so amazing to me that the principles that people have "come up with" for a master's level class... we had all along if we just study the Bible! God has blessed us with these things! No wonder He said to the Israelites about the instructions He gave them, "This is your wisdom and understanding in the sight of the nations (Deuteronomy 4:6)." So, I guess it shouldn't amaze me, but I do get very excited when I think about it.

Anyway, just wanted to share those couple of things.
"If you can believe, all things are possible to the person who believes."
~Mark 9:23

My posts reflect what I believe; please don't take them as me telling you what you have to believe - your time in study and prayer will tell you that.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:18 pm

2 Cor 4 "7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you."

From Barclay:
(skipping around a little)

1. We are sore pressed at every point but not hemmed in. There are all kinds of pressure on us, but we are never in so tight a corner that there is no way out. It is characteristic of the Christian that, even if his body be confined in some difficult environment or some narrow circumstance, there is always an escape route for his spirit to the spaciousness of God.

2. We are are persecuted by men but never abandoned by God..........Nothing can alter the loyalty of God.

3. We are at our wit's end but never at our hope's end. There are times when the Christian does not know what is to be done, but even then he never doubts that something CAN be done. There are times when he cannot well see where life is going, but he never doubts that is is going somewhere. If he must "stoop into a dark, tremendous sea of cloud," he still knows that he will emerge. There are times when a Christian has to learn the hardest lesson of all, the very lesson which Jesus himself had to learn in Gethsemane---how to accept what he cannot understand and still to say, "God, Thou art love; I build my faith on that.".....A man may be at his wit's end, but he can never be at his hope's end while he has the presence of Christ.

4. We are knocked down but not knocked out. There supreme characteristic of the Christian is not that he does not fall, but that every time he falls he rises again. It is not that he is never beaten, but he is never ultimately defeated. He may lose a battle, but he knows that in the end he can never lose the campaign.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Return to Disciple Bible Study