Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

LAMENTATIONS CHAPTER 4

by Kevin Young Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:04 am

This week we will be discussing LAMENTATIONS Chapter 4. After you read the chapters, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 4
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
notebooknut

Re: LAMENTATIONS CHAPTER 4

by notebooknut Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:33 am

I have to do my school... :roll: And I already got in trouble once for taking so long on the Corinthians one LOL! So I'll have to post later!! :evil:
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:28 pm

This chapter is way dark…that’s why I like it. I like the dark stuff, and when I go a little dark in my writing I just let it go and go off in the deep and dark. Writing dark stuff is therapeutic to me; describing a disturbing dark picture in a poem soothes me.

1 How the gold has lost its luster,
the fine gold become dull!
The sacred gems are scattered
at every street corner.
5 Those who once ate delicacies
are destitute in the streets.
Those brought up in royal purple
now lie on ash heaps.

Stuff that was once valued and highly esteemed now means nothing. Gems scattered like trash, and the wealthy on the streets. How things can change. Even the dollar here could tank at any time if the right things happened you know. Your money has value we gave it, but it can be taken away easily. We see the famous and infamous in the spotlight one moment and the next they are forgotten. Which is why you shouldn’t give so much value to the things the world gives value. It could all be trash tomorrow.

9 Those killed by the sword are better off
than those who die of famine;
racked with hunger, they waste away
for lack of food from the field.
10 With their own hands compassionate women
have cooked their own children,
who became their food
when my people were destroyed.

This image has always stuck with me. This is probably the first thing I picture when I think of this book. It says this punishment was greater than that of Sodom. Sodom fell quickly; swiftly taken out by fire and brimstone. Jerusalem slowly starved to death from famine. Children wandering helpless because their parents can’t feed them.

12 The kings of the earth did not believe,
nor did any of the peoples of the world,
that enemies and foes could enter
the gates of Jerusalem.
13 But it happened because of the sins of her prophets
and the iniquities of her priests,
who shed within her
the blood of the righteous.

Matthew Henry’s Commentary:
2. It is an amazing destruction, Lam. 4:12. It was a surprise to the kings of the earth, who are acquainted with, and inquisitive about, the state of their neighbours; nay, it was so to all the inhabitants of the world who knew Jerusalem, or had ever heard or read of it; they could not have believed that the adversary and enemy would ever enter into the gates of Jerusalem; for,
(1.) They knew that Jerusalem was strongly fortified, not only by walls and bulwarks, but by the numbers and strength of its inhabit
(2.) They knew that it was the city of the great King, where the Lord of the whole earth had in a more peculiar manner his residence; it was the holy city, and therefore they thought that it was so much under the divine protection that it would be in vain for any of its enemies to make an attack upon it.
(3.) They knew that many an attempt made upon it had been baffled, witness that of Sennacherib. They were therefore amazed when they heard of the Chaldeans making themselves masters of it, and concluded that it was certainly by an immediate hand of God that Jerusalem was given up to them; it was by a commission from him that the enemy broke through and entered the gates of Jerusalem.ants; the strong hold of Zion was thought to be impregnable.

Even everyone around knew it was by God’s hands that Jerusalem went down. They did not follow or obey God, but even they knew.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:19 am

I've been reading both books this week, but I'm refraining from posting all of my thoughts until I'm home from vacation and can do this without interruption. But I noticed something I wanna point out now.

Lamentations 4:2
How the precious children of Zion,
once worth their weight in gold,
are now considered as pots of clay,
the work of a potter’s hands!

In Lamentations, the pots of clay reference was a bad thing. It was weakness and worthlessness. But 2 Corinthians references clay containers in a different light.

2 Corinthians 4:7
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Jars of clay still signify weakness, but it's weakness made wonderful through God's power. It's weakness like that of a toddler needing help to stand.

The weakness and worthlessness that Lamentations is insinuating is something they brought on themselves. Like teenagers who are convinced that they know better than their parents, only to land in deep trouble.

Either way, we're jars of clay. But it's up to us to decide if we want to remain empty or hold on to the treasure that is Jesus Christ.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Skilletx6

by Skilletx6 Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:52 am

sassy1506 wrote:I've been reading both books this week, but I'm refraining from posting all of my thoughts until I'm home from vacation and can do this without interruption. But I noticed something I wanna point out now.

In Lamentations, the pots of clay reference was a bad thing. It was weakness and worthlessness. But 2 Corinthians references clay containers in a different light.

But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Jars of clay still signify weakness, but it's weakness made wonderful through God's power. It's weakness like that of a toddler needing help to stand.

The weakness and worthlessness that Lamentations is insinuating is something they brought on themselves. Like teenagers who are convinced that they know better than their parents, only to land in deep trouble.

Either way, we're jars of clay. But it's up to us to decide if we want to remain empty or hold on to the treasure that is Jesus Christ.

Amen, Sam. What a good point
notebooknut

by notebooknut Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:54 am

sassy1506 wrote:I've been reading both books this week, but I'm refraining from posting all of my thoughts until I'm home from vacation and can do this without interruption. But I noticed something I wanna point out now.

Wow, I never thought about that before! You're a genius! :D
- Maddie

notebooknut

by notebooknut Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:41 pm

How the gold has lost its luster,
the fine gold become dull!
The sacred gems are scattered
at every street corner.

Ooooh, this is good! I feel like this is a "this life is but a vapor" deal. The luxuries of life will deceive us and quickly. Inanimate objects can be our biggest downfall. Some things of life may make us happy for a very short while- but they quickly begin to drift away until we're left with nothing more than the air in our lungs. Also, some things that seem like you need and will make you ever joyful and happy- swiftly become not entertaining like they were before.

Because of thirst the infant’s tongue
sticks to the roof of its mouth;
the children beg for bread,
but no one gives it to them.

I see this as spiritual food, not physical food. We As Human, we are easily enchanted and swept up by the wonders of life. Even for Christians. And it's our job to "nurse" the baby Christians. But tell me- when you yourself can't help but get caught up in the mere vapors and poisons of this wretched earth- then who will train up the young in the Lord? Exactly.

Those who once ate delicacies
are destitute in the streets.
Those brought up in royal purple
now lie on ash heaps.

Man. This will put the boastful into their place real quick.

The Lord himself has scattered them;
he no longer watches over them.
The priests are shown no honor,
the elders no favor.

You wanna talk about scary... The scariest thing imaginable is for God to no longer watch over me. Like the song "My Hell" comes to mind right about now... Complete separation from the Holy sinless One...

I know this post was really nothing compared to some people's crazy and amazingly poetic insights, but I did my best! :)
- Maddie

Stephanie

by Stephanie Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:22 pm

1 How the gold has lost its luster! Even the finest gold has become dull. The sacred gemstones lie scattered in the streets.

The Israelites sort of threw away their own value by turning away from God. By keeping the covenant with God they were suppose to bring glory to Him by modelling to the other nations (Genesis 12:3b + 26:4b + 28:14b). But Israel broke that covenant multiple times.
10 Tender-hearted women have cooked their own children. They have eaten them to survive the siege.

Horrifying. Sounds sort of selfish. These women cared more about their own survival than that of their children. Not sure if they had fully understood the reason for exile at that point.
17 We looked in vain for our allies to come and save us, but we were looking to nations that could not help us.

They looked to nations around them rather than to God, the only one who could save them. I, like many, can relate to looking to things other than God to fix our problems. Doesn't really work. I think God purposefully didn't send another nation to help Israel, so that they would turn back to God. If God had sent another nation too soon, Israel would have given all the credit to the nation that saved them rather than the God who could send or not send help.
fuzzyspazz

by fuzzyspazz Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 pm

This whole book just makes me want to curl up in a ball and die. It seems like HE'S bringing them to their lowest point, after they have sinned and ignored HIM, so that they will cry out to HIM?
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:02 am

fuzzyspazz wrote:This whole book just makes me want to curl up in a ball and die. It seems like HE'S bringing them to their lowest point, after they have sinned and ignored HIM, so that they will cry out to HIM?

those points where God lets you go a little lower than you think you can handle...and you realize he's the only one who can help you and you finally come to him...and you see his power work in you when you brings you out...man those are the most amazing moments that have made my faith what it is
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Return to Disciple Bible Study