Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 2

by Kevin Young Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:46 am

This week we will be discussing 2 CORINTHIANS Chapter 2. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 2
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
notebooknut

Re: 2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 2

by notebooknut Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:23 am

When he was talking about forgiveness the only thing I could think about it what Kevin said a few days ago at a concert. He said about the people who just had their family members murdered- And they stood up and told the man that they forgave him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, that is the kind of RADICAL that I want to be!

Not a very long chapter... The best thing to me is when he's speaking of love and forgiveness because speaking honestly, I've had a hard time with that. But we have to forgive, or God will not forgive us! That's important.
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:37 am

4 For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you.

I have a very close friend who is making a lot of bad decisions right now, and it hurts me to watch her world fall apart. So I kinda get how Paul is feeling right here.

When you try to speak reason to someone who is bombarded by bad decision making, they tend to think you're just chastising them. They don't realize you're doing it out of love until much further down the road. By then it might be too late to undo all the consequences.

7 Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.

Say you have someone who is suffering harsh consequences for something, but they refuse to admit that what they did was wrong. How do you balance forgiveness and comfort with making them understand their sin?
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
notebooknut

by notebooknut Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:43 am

Sassy1506 said:
When you try to speak reason to someone who is bombarded by bad decision making, they tend to think you're just chastising them. They don't realize you're doing it out of love until much further down the road. By then it might be too late to undo all the consequences.

I so feel you there!! When someone says something in time of distress, our flesh kicks in and takes over. We tend to automatically get defensive and Strike Back (ohhh, I'm sorry I had to). But yeah, we sometimes don't see that we're speaking the truth in love, and not with a judgmental heart. So many people are so scared to be judged (I was for a while) that any seemingly negative comment that gets thrown their way, it ends up them lashing out.Mostly out of fear.

Oh, and had an awesome time with you at Uprise Sam!! So much fun! I had fun matching you with our cut off Disciple vests!!
- Maddie

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:45 am

This is actually just part of my whole thing on this, or trying to make a point. I wrote like a huge thing at like 2-3am a couple of nights ago while I was half asleep and didn't really make the point I wanted to. So I kept thinking about it and wrote this later.

I don't even know what verses to quote, just thoughts I got from the chapter combined with a previous one.

Tough love and forgiveness can work beautifully together. God does it for us all the time you know? Disciplining us when we need it, yet forgiving us of our sins with the ultimate sacrifice. Showing us when we are wrong because he loves us and knows we can be better, yet always having that pure unstoppable unconditionally love. The love never stops even when the love gets tough. Because God knows he has to get tough sometimes because he loves us so much. The ones that really love you will get tough when you need it. Because they are willing to do anything for you if its for your good, even if they risk you being angry at them for a period of time.

When we are doing something wrong and either we don’t know it or even if we know and don’t care, someone needs to point it out. Especially if what we are doing is hurting the faith of those around us. What if our actions are confusing a new child of God and harming their chance at entering heaven one day? For the sake of those around us, we must not be allowed to harm the walks of those around us if it can be helped. That is God’s precious child and if they are weak in faith we must not allow them to fall away if we can help it.

And when we are allowed to continue in the wrong without criticism, what is that doing to us? We are being allowed to wallow around in sin and death, knowingly or unknowingly either way it is still sin. We are being left to drown in it. Our hearts are tainted and poisoned and being left there to rot without criticism from our brothers and sisters. Would you leave them there to their sin and maybe death? They might not like you for your correction of them, but if they repent and change their ways you have saved them. If you love them, you will risk their affection and friendship for the sake of their soul.

And who is to say you will be the one to cause them to repent? Maybe they aren’t ready yet, but maybe you are still part of the path.

But we must always have forgiveness. We must always have open arms for them like the father of the prodigal son. We all fall away and mess up, we all need a place we are welcome even after all we have done. Because we get tough because we love them more than anything on earth. Because they are the most valuable thing on earth…totally worth getting a little tough on to save.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
notebooknut

by notebooknut Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:48 am

Courtney, you're amazing. I love your posts!!
- Maddie

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:25 am

15 For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16 To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task? 17 Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, as those sent from God.

So some people are going to be totally open to what you have to say because they want to hear about Jesus. But some aren't going to want to listen to you, and they are going to think being a Christian is "too restrictive" and be all against religion and stuff, you know the whole thing they say. It is true, some people might not be worth your time really hammering down on if they aren't even at a point where they are listening. All you can do is love those people and show them the gospel through what you do for them. Because they might just not be ready yet, or they might never find Jesus. Just keep your heart open to God because he'll show you the way and show you where to go and who to talk to. God knows who is looking. The bible says search and you will find him, well maybe they will find him through you.

But yeah some people will want to hear what you have to say and some won't. Just don't give up. Stay bold this week. We aren't doing this for fame or to be popular. We are doing this to save souls for Christ, and its far from glamorous most of the time.
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
Steph

by Steph Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:42 pm

I can't say that I really have anything to add about this chapter. But I enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Courtney, you had some really good points! Something you said reminded me of something one of my pastors has said before..."people don't care what you know unless they know that you care." I guess sometimes all we can do is show people that we love and care for them and live our lives as an example of Christ's love and what He has done for us. And then, maybe down the road, they will be more receptive to what we have to say about the Gospel.

Recently at my church, one of the pastors did a sermon on the story of Ruth, and the one point that stood out to me was about how Naomi treated Ruth. Ruth was kind of an outsider, and had a different faith than Naomi and her clan, but Naomi was so kind to Ruth and loved her so well that it totally transformed Ruth's life, and when the Israelites were going back to Israel, Ruth didn't want to stay with her people, rather, she wanted to follow Naomi and adopt her faith, even though she was an outsider.
~How precious to me are your thoughts O God? How vast is the sum of them? Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139:17-18~
Truli

by Truli Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:03 am

I don't really have much to contribute, I just wanted to say that I love what Courtney said about tough love and forgiveness working together. I feel like I'm getting some of that tough love right now, but it's nice to be reminded that His unconditional love and forgiveness works together with that. It's just nice to be reminded that while I get the tough love that's putting me back on track, He hasn't stopped loving me. He's right here with me and is guiding me back to Him.
fuzzyspazz

by fuzzyspazz Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:51 am

By thinking about stuff to write on here I've figured out a lot of stuff. But I've never written it. It has helped though.
Return to Disciple Bible Study