Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

2 PETER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 13, 2019 5:35 am

This week we will be discussing 2 PETER Chapter 1. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 1
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 2 PETER 1

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 13, 2019 5:57 am

3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.

You already have everything you need to serve God in the way he created you to. There is no, "I need more money," or "I have to be famous and popular to do this." No, you have everything you need. If you don't have it, you don't need it. You don't need to be famous and popular. You don't need to be on the stage in front of many people. You don't need these things to serve him. If he chooses that for you so be it, but if not so be it also. Don't look at what you don't have. Look for what he's already given you.

4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Great and precious indeed. He's given you all the strength and perseverance you need to stay strong today. He created you to be able to see this through. You've got it all. You can get through this. He's right there with you. He's given you the promises worth going through all the fire and trials this earth has to offer for. Everything you are dealt here in temporary. His promises are forever. Nothing you go through here is worth losing the eternal promises of God. See all your trials through today and keep your eyes on the promise. His promises are guaranteed.

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

'FOR YOU POSSESS THESE QUALITIES IN INCREASING MEASURE"

You already have these! You already have goodness, knowledge, self control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, and love. You already have them! You just have to believe that you do. God has already given you everything you need.

10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Its all yours. Heaven awaits you. Say it everyday. You are saved. Say it everyday. The promise is yours. Say it everyday.

16 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.

Your testimony is powerful. You might not have been there when Jesus walked the earth, but you still have a powerful testimony of the power of God in your own life.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 am

Court, I love your passion for encouraging and building others up. This is one of my favourite chapters in the Bible to do that. To me, it's a calling for growth and maturing, and you've pointed to one of my favourite passages in the Bible to do that. Not only a calling, but also a pattern for self-examination, for "giving diligence", to evaluate where we are in the journey, to help us focus on anything that may be lacking.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith [moral] virtue; and to [moral] virtue, knowledge; and to knowledge, temperance; and to temperance, patience; and to patience, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that you shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacks these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if you do these things, you shall never fall: for so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
~2 Peter 1:5-11

My pastor is always diligent to point out when the word "if" is in the scripture. He calls it a little word that makes a big difference. It's a conditional promise. It takes some effort on our part. We aren't already supplied with all of these things, they grow in us as we grow. And that's great! Praise God for it! That's the pattern of life - that we grow and mature. In a physical sense, we grow and mature from two separate cells, one supplied by each of our parents, into a great complex wonderous human being. In the spiritual sense - I believe there is something of the same pattern, since several of the New Testament authors discuss being "little children", "babies", "needing milk", and growing into someone who can handle "spiritual meat". Peter used that image in his first letter. It also fits the pattern of fruitful trees. Trees need to grow from a seed into a hardy structure that is mature enough to produce fruit.

And that's the image that has really been sticking with me lately. It's why I changed my signature to include Genesis 9:7. I've been taking a look at this pattern that Peter lays out, and trying to evaluate where I am in that maturity. I think I "know" a lot about the Bible. But to me, the progress really will be seen when I can know, do, not smash others over the head with what they need to do, but do myself, and be gentle, kind and loving to everyone around me (knowing when to demonstrate kind or tough love, but acting out of love nonetheless in all my ways). That's the maturity I'd like to achieve. That's the guidance I'm looking for in the Bible to get to. And that's why I really love this chapter. (I think I may have to copy it out by hand again, just to help it sink in even more.)
"And you, be yourselves fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein."
~Genesis 9:7 [--> Galatians 5:22-23]

My favourite in-depth, wide ranging, scripture heavy, daily Bible study: Shepherd's Chapel
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 am

Over the years I've learned that when it comes to addiction, our ability to say no has never been lost. We've never lost the choice to say no to our unhealthy coping mechanisms. People say "I can't help it.", but that's not true. We have just been tricked into thinking we have no choice and that we can't say no. Its very very incredibly hard to say no, but you can say it.

Trust me I know, saying no in that moment will be on the most difficult things you have ever done. It won't even feel like the right choice because your brain is gonna be like, "you are going to regret this! we can make it without that!" You will make it though.

So yeah, you've got self control in you already. Its there. Believe it. Use it. Make it stronger.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Thu May 16, 2019 4:02 am

How do you think about the statement, "and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins" in verse 9? Up until this morning, I hadn't really thought too much about it, but just thought that it was a poor condition to be in. But this morning it struck me as a statement of being unable to empathize with others - of not being able to show that brotherly kindness or love that the proceeding verses spoke of.

It kind of reminds me of some times in the past when I've had conversations with managers about when partners in our firm would complain about some work taking (what they considered to be) too long, or not up to the standard they believed it should have, and the manager empathizing, saying, "Don't worry, they don't remember what it's like to be a new student who isn't familiar with all concepts they know well through experience." Is that how you understand this statement by Peter? As a statement that someone who lacks kindness or love is really someone who forgot they used to struggle with the same things that those around them might? They lack empathy?

It was a really cool revelation this morning. Thanks Court, for inspiring me to go back and look at this chapter again. I might not have had that experience if it wasn't for you :) Iron sharpens iron.
"And you, be yourselves fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein."
~Genesis 9:7 [--> Galatians 5:22-23]

My favourite in-depth, wide ranging, scripture heavy, daily Bible study: Shepherd's Chapel
Mathax

by Mathax Sun May 19, 2019 11:36 am

8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

As livingwater said, when you are lacking this qualities, you can lack empathy, not everyone has the same situations happen to them. But everyone has something happen to them.

13I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.

It is important to note with this passage is that Peter who saw Christ ministry and Miracles and his resurrection is currently imprisoned by Nero and he knows what will happen to him having been told by Jesus in advance 30+ years before

John 21
18Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 am

lappinglivingwater wrote:How do you think about the statement, "and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins" in verse 9? Up until this morning, I hadn't really thought too much about it, but just thought that it was a poor condition to be in. But this morning it struck me as a statement of being unable to empathize with others - of not being able to show that brotherly kindness or love that the proceeding verses spoke of.

It kind of reminds me of some times in the past when I've had conversations with managers about when partners in our firm would complain about some work taking (what they considered to be) too long, or not up to the standard they believed it should have, and the manager empathizing, saying, "Don't worry, they don't remember what it's like to be a new student who isn't familiar with all concepts they know well through experience." Is that how you understand this statement by Peter? As a statement that someone who lacks kindness or love is really someone who forgot they used to struggle with the same things that those around them might? They lack empathy?

It was a really cool revelation this morning. Thanks Court, for inspiring me to go back and look at this chapter again. I might not have had that experience if it wasn't for you :) Iron sharpens iron.

yeah that makes sense...also if you don't have self control you are probably very self centered because you are constantly thinking about how to please yourself instead of helping others, and you can't resist what pleases you...that's all you want, it becomes your world....but if you are very focused on pleasure you probably won't have empathy for others....and if you don't have perseverance you can't stay strong and keep control, and once again empathy would not be high on the list

Return to Disciple Bible Study