Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

1 PETER CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 am

This week we will be discussing 1 PETER Chapter 2. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 2
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: 1 PETER CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:22 am

4 As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

We're all in this together, one body made of many different parts, one building made of many different pieces. All of our unique and different pieces come together to make one complete and perfectly working unit. Every piece has its place in the one.

11 Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Sometimes being Jesus does makes more of an impact on people than just telling them about Jesus. People are stubborn and set in their ways, and you words will often fall on deaf ears. The way you treat people though, they can't deny that. Show Jesus in your life so they can't help but ask, "What is up with that person?" or "what gives you so much hope?"

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.

Right there again, we are suppose to respect authority.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

Mathax

by Mathax Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 pm

and no deceit was found in his mouth.”
23When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

Just leaving this here
Xylina

by Xylina Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness.

So many christians get stuck in this dead zone of this being a religion. But religion is so impersonal like you're just going through the motions and carrying on your day with no regard towards God. But God wants us to have a real relationship to Him because we need Him like a baby needs milk. We should be wanting to talk with him and learn more about Him every day. This verse just shows me how important that is.

If a baby didn't want its milk we would clearly see that something is wrong with it. For myself and I'm sure others as well it can be a little hard to really get into Gods word regularly. Weither it be because we're busy with other things or just simply "not in the mood". But once we do stop spend some time with Him it always feels like "oh wow I needed that"

Its great having a group here to all support and encourage each other in christ. It's a lifelong goal for my life to keep Jesus involved in every day. Especially when I'm "too busy" or "don't feel like it".

Imagine if Jesus was too busy with his booming carpentry career or just decided he really felt like he wanted to just hang out and go fishing with his buddies instead of dieing for us on the cross.

Then I look back at my life and how I prioritize my time and its just like "Wow, really?" Reality check lol
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 am

Mathax wrote:
and no deceit was found in his mouth.”
23When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

Just leaving this here

Absolutely worth posting! We definitely retaliate more than we should. Not even physical. We just pick around with arguments online and offline more than we need to sometimes. Sometimes its just not worth it, no one's opinion is going to change. Sometimes our actions do a better job than our words. And Jesus' actions spoke so much there, the fact he did nothing to retaliate.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 am

Xylina wrote:Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment, now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness.

So many christians get stuck in this dead zone of this being a religion. But religion is so impersonal like you're just going through the motions and carrying on your day with no regard towards God. But God wants us to have a real relationship to Him because we need Him like a baby needs milk. We should be wanting to talk with him and learn more about Him every day. This verse just shows me how important that is.

If a baby didn't want its milk we would clearly see that something is wrong with it. For myself and I'm sure others as well it can be a little hard to really get into Gods word regularly. Weither it be because we're busy with other things or just simply "not in the mood". But once we do stop spend some time with Him it always feels like "oh wow I needed that"

Its great having a group here to all support and encourage each other in christ. It's a lifelong goal for my life to keep Jesus involved in every day. Especially when I'm "too busy" or "don't feel like it".

Imagine if Jesus was too busy with his booming carpentry career or just decided he really felt like he wanted to just hang out and go fishing with his buddies instead of dieing for us on the cross.

Then I look back at my life and how I prioritize my time and its just like "Wow, really?" Reality check lol

That makes me think of the bread of life...that Jesus should be our bread of life...he should be what sustains us and keeps us going. Nothing on earth can keep us satisfied...physical or spiritual...that's why we always need more and can never find enough of anything to feel content. Jesus can satisfy us so we do not grow spiritually hungry again.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:43 am

Xylina wrote:For myself and I'm sure others as well it can be a little hard to really get into Gods word regularly. Weither it be because we're busy with other things or just simply "not in the mood". But once we do stop spend some time with Him it always feels like "oh wow I needed that"

Please believe that I'm saying this to encourage you, and not to discourage (because I'm nowhere near being a perfect person).

I have a family, two children under two (with one who I'm sure may be the first person ever to be allergic to a good, full night's sleep), a career that puts OT pressures on me almost daily, and taking a masters degree part-time on the side. I'm up at 4:16 am on the daily to spend a half hour in God's word. It's fiercely coveted time for me, and it's so rewarding.

Push for more. You'll be glad you did :)
"And you, be yourselves fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein."
~Genesis 9:7 [--> Galatians 5:22-23]

My favourite in-depth, wide ranging, scripture heavy, daily Bible study: Shepherd's Chapel
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:08 am

I'm just coming away this week with this being another straightforward, simple, great advice chapter. When Peter says to desire the milk, it's so fitting along with how easy this letter is to digest (if I was to contrast it against some other areas of the Bible that are more mysterious in the language and communication devices used). One of my favourite verse in the Bible is here:

Honour [everyone]. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
~1 Peter 2:17

There's also another verse that I'm not sure how it comes across in other versions of the Bible, but in the KJV it reads as though it were saying there is no glory in being "buffeted for your faults" and taking it patiently (verse 20). I mean, I get what Peter is saying: if we do something wrong, especially intentionally, we shouldn't "get a cookie" for being patient if someone chastises or corrects us on it. He is so right; that's just justice. But as we move closer to the times that were predicted in the Bible, as we move closer to when everyone just does what they want, with a general trend in society of becoming more narcissistic, following fleshly lusts, people move away from being able to take personal responsibility for anything. And, though there may be no glory in being able to accept responsibility for our errors, it certainly is better for building relationships and trust among people than not.

We had a colleague who went through this recently - who wouldn't accept responsibility for virtually anything on the job - who, when was approached about poor behaviour, would turn around, deflect blame, and start chastising the other person for some "worse" wrong that other person had done. (I put "worse" in quotes because several times the counter-accusation didn't even happen - it was made up - which damaged relationships in the workplace even more than what they were at the outset.) This lack of accountability and spreading lies began creating an incredibly toxic environment in which no one wanted to work with or around this person. And it all could have been avoided if this person had taken personal responsibility for poor behaviours, listened patiently, and did their part in changing going forward. But, this person could not accept personal responsibility for poor performance and poor behaviour and eventually got fired. And from what we can tell, this wasn't the first time this person had gotten themselves into this scenario.

So I think there is some "glory" in accepting a correction for poor behaviour patiently. It certainly is essential for building, or at the very least, maintaining, personal relationships. But, again, I don't think it's any great reason to celebrate our behaviour if we can do it; it's just the right thing to do. Someone who can be patient when being wrongly accused certainly is worthy of more glory than if we get a talking-to about our mistakes.
"And you, be yourselves fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein."
~Genesis 9:7 [--> Galatians 5:22-23]

My favourite in-depth, wide ranging, scripture heavy, daily Bible study: Shepherd's Chapel
Xylina

by Xylina Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:59 pm

lappinglivingwater wrote:
Xylina wrote:For myself and I'm sure others as well it can be a little hard to really get into Gods word regularly. Weither it be because we're busy with other things or just simply "not in the mood". But once we do stop spend some time with Him it always feels like "oh wow I needed that"

Please believe that I'm saying this to encourage you, and not to discourage (because I'm nowhere near being a perfect person).

I have a family, two children under two (with one who I'm sure may be the first person ever to be allergic to a good, full night's sleep), a career that puts OT pressures on me almost daily, and taking a masters degree part-time on the side. I'm up at 4:16 am on the daily to spend a half hour in God's word. It's fiercely coveted time for me, and it's so rewarding.

Push for more. You'll be glad you did :)

Yeah for sure. :) I really want to keep God first in everything. Its not always easy but nothing in life is.
Yesterday I actually went to see this easter show that they put on every year at the Brooklyn Tabernacle and I just never got around to it for whatever reason. I was so glad I went finally though because the whole experience was truly amazing and touching. It felt like a legit broadway show but about Jesus life and what he's done for us.
If anyones ever in the nyc area during the christmas or easter season I'd definitely recommend taking out the time to go.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:25 am

I've always loved Godspell. If I ever get to see a live version I just sit there and cry through the whole thing lol. Its based on the book of Matthew I think. I love it how they just drop everything to follow him. In the movie one girl literally throws her purse in the trash to follow Jesus.

Return to Disciple Bible Study