Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

JAMES CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:37 am

This week we will be discussing JAMES Chapter 2. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 2
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: JAMES CHAPTER 2

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:51 am

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

Faith vs Deeds. I've thought about this one a lot. I think action comes naturally to those with faith. Because of your faith, you are just gonna act naturally. You want to act. You need to act because your heart cries for it. You don't want to sit by doing nothing. So if you're worried about doing enough, don't be. Because of your faith, you will naturally want to act.

That's why faith without works is dead, faith makes you want to act. If you don't want to act, you don't really have any faith. Because love makes you want to act. Love without action isn't really love. Love wants to act. Love wants to hold people. Love runs to people. Love steps in front of people to shield them from danger. Love gives even if it leaves them empty.

Yeah, stuff can hold us back. Things that aren't love hold us back from acting. Fear holds us back. Anger holds us back. Pride holds us back. Things like this get in and keep us from acting. When you let go of those and let love rule, you don't want to hold back.

Yeah, action can be scary. There's been a lot of stuff I've reached out of my comfort zone to do that was terrifying. Don't be scared, just do it.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:58 am

My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Don't write off someone because they don't fit your criteria as a Christian, or a person potential of receiving Jesus.

I know I've never fit the Christian mold very well. It's never happened and it never will happen. I write and create very very dark art and talk about very dark stuff. Yet here I am administering a bible study.

I would recommend not writing people in your church off as people who haven't been through anything. If you ever have a chance to just sit and listen to church members talk about what they've been through you should. You will be amazed at what trials they have gone through and still remain the positive people they are. You will be floored at what they have endured. Do not underestimate them.

The shabby dressed ex convict could be the strongest Christian you ever know, and the well dress person who has been attending all their life could be the weakest Christian you ever know, You can't judge by the outside.

Mathax

by Mathax Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:36 pm

There are many strong points in this chapter.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

This makes me glad that Jesus came to provide another way than by trying to follow the laws of the Old testament.

While I don't struggle with most of them there are a couple places where I have trouble following and This is a reminder that those who are justified by the law are justified by the whole law not just the parts that you can keep. Praise good for Grace and mercy.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Mathax wrote:There are many strong points in this chapter.

12Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, 13because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

This makes me glad that Jesus came to provide another way than by trying to follow the laws of the Old testament.

While I don't struggle with most of them there are a couple places where I have trouble following and This is a reminder that those who are justified by the law are justified by the whole law not just the parts that you can keep. Praise good for Grace and mercy.

Yeah I would be doomed without Jesus I don’t think I would do well with all those laws lol. I don’t even want to think about what a failure I would be with those laws.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 am

19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

I love that verse. Its easy to believe in God or some kind of God. Its easy to be spiritual. Lots of people say "I'm a spiritual person". You just do what you want with your cherry picked buffet beliefs. Its not easy to not only believe, but also follow. Like it says, even the demons believe in God. Just believing isn't anything. Can you follow him?

I am a loud mouth, rebellious, unstable, and wretched little thing. If you get quiet Courtney be thankful you never have to deal with the other side. Its hard to walk the walk sometimes. Its going to be hard sometimes. When you really going Satan is gonna jump in and try to stop you and poison your heart and thoughts. Don't give up. Do more than just believe in God. The way is rough and you will fall many times, but don't ever stop getting back up and continuing to move forward.

Tschepp

by Tschepp Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:28 am

"As the body without spirit is dead, so faith without deed is dead".
A powerful statement.
In a day that we are so busy, so in a hurry, so skeptic, so wrapped up in our own lives that we don't take the time to help a stranded driver on the side of the road. We smile at the pan handler to give comfort, yet do nothing to help their needs. Are they really in need? Do I really have the time to stop and help? Can I afford to help? All legitimate questions to us all today. But I don't think Jesus would agree.

I'm guilty of these, I put others needs below my schedule, my finances, my skepticism. We don't want to be late for work, we don't want a pan handler to go home to his parents mansion and get high, we don't want to get taken advantage of. Yet it's clearly not our call. It's God's call. He will deal with the consequences.
It can be very difficult to live within God's word in a modern world. We need true faith and the willingness to do everything in our power to help those in need regardless of worldly consequences. While I know this to be true, I fall short time and time again.
Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold to the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I
Timothy [/b[b]]6:12
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:46 am

Tschepp wrote:"As the body without spirit is dead, so faith without deed is dead".
A powerful statement.
In a day that we are so busy, so in a hurry, so skeptic, so wrapped up in our own lives that we don't take the time to help a stranded driver on the side of the road. We smile at the pan handler to give comfort, yet do nothing to help their needs. Are they really in need? Do I really have the time to stop and help? Can I afford to help? All legitimate questions to us all today. But I don't think Jesus would agree.

I'm guilty of these, I put others needs below my schedule, my finances, my skepticism. We don't want to be late for work, we don't want a pan handler to go home to his parents mansion and get high, we don't want to get taken advantage of. Yet it's clearly not our call. It's God's call. He will deal with the consequences.
It can be very difficult to live within God's word in a modern world. We need true faith and the willingness to do everything in our power to help those in need regardless of worldly consequences. While I know this to be true, I fall short time and time again.

It’s way easier said than done, but yeah in general I think we are suppose to give and not worry about their heart. It’s hard though, I know we have a lot of panhandlers all over that aren’t being honest. The Holy Spirit won’t let us down though. We can listen for when we should feel moved to give too.

Now enabling destructive behavior to the point it’s hurting someone is different I think.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:09 am

I am regularly struck by the profoundness of what is being said in a scripture. But in James, its the simplicity of the message that is so profound. Chapter 2 has that "common sense" that no one ever teaches. Don't play favourites. You can't judge a book by its cover. Love your neighbour. Wish in one hand and work with the other and see which is filled first. Actions speak louder than words (or beliefs). These are all things that you learn as very little children; and that we seem to have to relearn as adults too :) But hey, sometimes humans need to be reminded, more than they need to be instructed.

My favourite part of the chapter is the lesson that faith without works is dead. I've seen some pretty contentious discussion on this before, with people noting how James shouldn't really even be a part of the Scriptures because of this statement and how it contradicts some of the other faith lessons that, say, Paul gives. But it doesn't; and this is still the inspired word of God. The common sense hear is that, generally, you are going to act consistently with your faith. That is, your thought processes (what you believe and how you see the world) drive your actions. That's just nature. Paul says we all mess up, and sometimes we do things that we didn't intend to. But generally, you can't do anything unless you think it first -- and you can't think it unless you believe it. So, there shouldn't be any contention with the lesson that is being taught here. The parable of the good Samaritan is a parable of actions; the people who "had faith in God" did not act neighbourly to the beaten man but walked by him; yet the Samaritan acted neighbourly to him and was exalted in the parable. Jesus taught that people will be judged based on their actions. But consciously making a decision to repent of previous evil deeds, of putting our faith in Christ, of asking for forgiveness, reading the Bible, trying to make small changes everyday--- these are all actions too.
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."
~2 Timothy 3:16

My favourite instructional study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-m-Rk_GzE
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 am

In terms of giving to panhandlers: acts of kindness can open up the door for influence in a person's life. This applies whether a person is genuinely poor, or an imposter looking for a payday. The same possibility is there for both. So whether you give a blessing (some cash) or not to either is up to you, and how you believe that gift or not is going to impact that person. I can't say what someone should do either way, because either action may be good for that specific person, but whatever you choose, do it in faith. God sees the intentions of the heart rather than the outward action (1 Samuel 16:7).
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."
~2 Timothy 3:16

My favourite instructional study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-m-Rk_GzE
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:11 pm

lappinglivingwater wrote:In terms of giving to panhandlers: acts of kindness can open up the door for influence in a person's life. This applies whether a person is genuinely poor, or an imposter looking for a payday. The same possibility is there for both. So whether you give a blessing (some cash) or not to either is up to you, and how you believe that gift or not is going to impact that person. I can't say what someone should do either way, because either action may be good for that specific person, but whatever you choose, do it in faith. God sees the intentions of the heart rather than the outward action (1 Samuel 16:7).

Good point! Whatever their intentions are they can still be impacted by the giving.

Sometimes the moment is for the giver and not the receiver. It’s about if the giver does give and not the intentions of the receiver.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:27 am

I had a moment where I know it was more about if the giver gives and not if the receiver is helped or not.

I was outside waiting to go inside for a Disciple acoustic show in Amarillo, I think a year ago? This guy came up and started talking about needing gas or something or a bus ticket, I don't remember. I was hoping he'd just leave at first because I'm extremely introverted and socially awkward so obviously chatting with strangers ain't my strong suit always lol.

He didn't leave easily though. It didn't feel like a persistent human to me though. I felt God looking me straight in the eye through that guy. It was a bit unnerving. So I eventually gave something not knowing if it was actually needed or not. But I feel like God was looking at more if the giver would give and not if the receiver actually needed anything.

I think the majority of the time what matters is that the giver decides to give and not if the receiver needs anything. I think that's why we struggle with not wanting to give because they are lying and don't need anything.

Return to Disciple Bible Study