Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

HEBREWS CHAPTER 11

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 am

This week we will be discussing HEBREWS Chapter 11. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 11
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: HEBREWS CHAPTER 11

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:43 am

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. 2 For by it the people of old received their commendation. 3 By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.

When has your faith been pushed to the limits?

I always say having anxiety is a constant stream of difficult tests of faith, like you are constantly having to go off the edge of a cliff and have faith someone will catch you. Because anxiety feels like the world is ending and that something is very very wrong when nothing is actually going on. Your mind and body are screaming something is wrong but nothing is wrong. So to sit and let the anxiety attack and its chemical reactions in the body die off naturally on its own feels like a huge test of faith. Part of the reason it is so exhausting because it feels like one huge test of faith after another.

Just staying in this world back in high school and not leaving it felt like a huge test of faith. I really did not see what the point was in me staying here, but I tried to have faith that God had a reason for me being here still so I stayed.

32 And what more shall I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets— 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight.

What is your favorite story of faith in the bible? Which one inspires you the most?

I've always been a huge fan of David and tried to reflect that back and forth of moods of his psalms in my own writing.
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:55 am

IVPress study questions

Discovering the Word
• Look for both assured confidence and calm expectation (v. 1) in the role models of faith in this chapter. How did Abel, Enoch and Noah express their faith (vv. 4-7)?
• Considering the foolishness of his choices by human standards, what do you think Abraham's emotions were like (vv. 8-10)?
• How does the promise of a heavenly country help us to keep our faith, even when we don't see our hopes fulfilled immediately (vv. 13-16)?
• Why do you think Abraham's faith triumphed when he was asked to give up Isaac (vv. 17-19)?
• How would you compare the faith of the named heroes and heroines who achieved greatness (vv. 20-35) with those unnamed persons who suffered grievously (vv. 35-38)?
• Some Christians believe that faith always leads to material and physical blessing. What does this passage tell you about the role of both blessing and suffering for the faithful?

Applying the Word
• In tough circumstances, what connection do you make between your faith and the certainty of resurrection (v. 35)?
• What unseen certainties have guided you in making fundamental, life-changing decisions?

Responding in Prayer
Pray for the faith you need in your life right now to do God's will.

James Larsen

by James Larsen Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:12 am

What really stuck out at me was the faith constantly talked about throughout this chapter.

Everything revolves around our faith in God. The choices we make in life should be based around our faith in God.
As this chapter is a Biblical 'hall of fame' in a way, it shows the great faith many people showed throughout the Bible, and how God wants us to follow these examples.
There are many times in life where we will be enduring trials, and tough times - but it's our reaction that counts the most.
When we trust God through those trials, He can use those things to shape and mold us. Instead of making decisions based on our own feelings or emotions, it is imperative for us to rely on God, and know that everything will work together for good (Rom. 8:28).

Over the past year, my family and I have had to endure a really tough situation - my 14 year old sister has anorexia, and it got very, very bad. It's been a whirlwind of a year, and it even included my sister going to a rehab hospital for a month.
Throughout the whole process, I had so many questions for God. Why? What in the world is going on? How could this happen to us?
However, I can see now that this situation has helped mold me, and God has used this to strengthen my faith. My relationship with Him is closer now than ever.

I have faith that things are going to work out, in His timing, to move His plan forward. We still have a long road ahead of us in helping her recover, but I'm trusting that God will work everything together for good.

The most encouraging thing about this passage is seeing how God worked through these people - even when they were martyred. God can use ANY situation and turn it around - you just need to have faith, and rely on His wisdom to make tough decisions.
Brocolous

by Brocolous Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:00 am

I was raised in a Christian home. It took 35 years of poor choices, wrong directions, and empty relationships before I actually submitted to God! God wanted me, and now as I look back I can see it. Over the years my faith was tested. Facing peers dabbling in occults, losing a younger brother I was close to, doing prison time, being stabbed 18 times, drugs, alcohol, sex, and other forms of rebellion. Until I humbled my self before my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I couldn't forgive my self or others. Understanding Agape love through Jesus brought me to this understanding. I love Jesus and want to honor and acknowledge Him in all I do! I can honestly say my faith in Jesus has grown stronger because of the trials and tribulations I faced. With that being said, I've learned to forgive my self and others. Growing in love and faith by studying God's Word and striving to bring glory to the father in all I do! Without my faith in Jesus I would be a lost soul. Praise God!!! No matter what you are going through, remain faithful! The Bible is filled with people who were broken and stubborn, but God still used them for His glory and purpose! God loves you! Jesus died to redeem you!!!
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:35 am

James Larsen wrote:What really stuck out at me was the faith constantly talked about throughout this chapter.

Everything revolves around our faith in God. The choices we make in life should be based around our faith in God.
As this chapter is a Biblical 'hall of fame' in a way, it shows the great faith many people showed throughout the Bible, and how God wants us to follow these examples.
There are many times in life where we will be enduring trials, and tough times - but it's our reaction that counts the most.
When we trust God through those trials, He can use those things to shape and mold us. Instead of making decisions based on our own feelings or emotions, it is imperative for us to rely on God, and know that everything will work together for good (Rom. 8:28).

Over the past year, my family and I have had to endure a really tough situation - my 14 year old sister has anorexia, and it got very, very bad. It's been a whirlwind of a year, and it even included my sister going to a rehab hospital for a month.
Throughout the whole process, I had so many questions for God. Why? What in the world is going on? How could this happen to us?
However, I can see now that this situation has helped mold me, and God has used this to strengthen my faith. My relationship with Him is closer now than ever.

I have faith that things are going to work out, in His timing, to move His plan forward. We still have a long road ahead of us in helping her recover, but I'm trusting that God will work everything together for good.

The most encouraging thing about this passage is seeing how God worked through these people - even when they were martyred. God can use ANY situation and turn it around - you just need to have faith, and rely on His wisdom to make tough decisions.

Wow, your sister is lucky to have such great support around her during this. Support is so important recovering from that. Often our first instinct is to turn away from our support and hide our struggles instead of turning to those who want to help us.

More than just her experiences have so much potential to help others in the future, your experiences with this do too. So much potential to help others in the future and glorify God. Yes, God is always here with us and at work.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 am

Brocolous wrote:I was raised in a Christian home. It took 35 years of poor choices, wrong directions, and empty relationships before I actually submitted to God! God wanted me, and now as I look back I can see it. Over the years my faith was tested. Facing peers dabbling in occults, losing a younger brother I was close to, doing prison time, being stabbed 18 times, drugs, alcohol, sex, and other forms of rebellion. Until I humbled my self before my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ I couldn't forgive my self or others. Understanding Agape love through Jesus brought me to this understanding. I love Jesus and want to honor and acknowledge Him in all I do! I can honestly say my faith in Jesus has grown stronger because of the trials and tribulations I faced. With that being said, I've learned to forgive my self and others. Growing in love and faith by studying God's Word and striving to bring glory to the father in all I do! Without my faith in Jesus I would be a lost soul. Praise God!!! No matter what you are going through, remain faithful! The Bible is filled with people who were broken and stubborn, but God still used them for His glory and purpose! God loves you! Jesus died to redeem you!!!

Wow what a story! I remember it taking me a good while to figure out that God had been there with me the whole time when I thought he had abandoned me. No matter how long it takes, God is still there waiting for us to seek him.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:31 am

Chapter 11 just makes me want to read the Old Testament again. So many great histories that pack a punch! So many lessons to be learned in their telling. Jesus would teach people how they should behave by asking, "Haven't you read about __________?" a story from the Old Testament. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I would be remiss not to point out the history of Gideon as one of my favourite stories (Judges 6-8). The name "lappinglivingwater" is inspired from the selection of the 300 warriors that helped him defeat the Midianites, because they lapped up the water like guard dogs ready to go to battle. Gideon's good report is used by Isaiah as an example of how our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual wickedness in high places (Isaiah 9:4-7). And here again in Hebrews 11, the author uses Gideon's example of being one who was made strong out of weakness, waxed valiant in the fight, and set the armies of the enemy to flight.
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."
~2 Timothy 3:16

My favourite instructional study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-m-Rk_GzE
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:31 pm

36 Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were killed with the sword. They went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, afflicted, mistreated— 38 of whom the world was not worthy—wandering about in deserts and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

We, as in United States area of the world....we are incredibly lucky. I don't think everyone really understands how incredibly lucky they are to be here. You are in a country that you can gripe and moan and criticize your leaders all you want and not get arrested for it. People riot in the streets demanding rights for some part of their earthly identity and yet there are people like them being arrested and killed in other countries for that same thing. They don't see how lucky they are to be here and not there.

We still have brothers and sisters suffering for the faith. There are still amazing stories of faith being created. Not to completely dismiss or invalidate what you've been through...no never, we've all struggled and endured many hard things. But when it comes to being able to express our faith openly...we are very lucky here.

So be proud of your faith and never be ashamed of it. Many of our family of faith bled and died before your time for that faith, and many bleed and die now for it all over the world.

Tschepp

by Tschepp Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 am

Go easy on me, this is my first post, first reading of the Bible since 8th grade, (first voluntary reading ever).

I tend to sum things up in Macro terms rather than site specifics of a given chapter.

To me the theme is pretty straight forward; your faith is what God wants. Your faith will be rewarded. Countless people have come before us and as the stories sited in this chapter show what God wants is our unyielding faith, a true commitment regardless of the worldly consequences. The people that have demonstrated true faith, even at their suffering and peril, we're rewarded with Gods favor. You must surrender to God completely, and you can't "fake it to make it". Whatever we're going through, no matter what the list of pros and cons show us, always put your faith in God first. By doing so, God will have your hand and won't let go.
Fight the good fight of faith. Take hold to the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I Timothy 6:12
Vambram

by Vambram Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 pm

All of this week's posts by Eccentricsheep, James Larsen, Brocolous, lappinglivingwater, and Tschepp are inspiring to me. Thank you all for your testimonies and outstanding contributions to the Bible study.

I will post my thoughts about favorite passages in Hebrews 11 later on tonight.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Vambram

by Vambram Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:13 pm

This chapter focuses entirely upon the definitions of faith, promises made to those who keep the faith and believe on the Lord by faith, as well as famous examples of faith in the lives of biblical saints.

The essence of faith consists in receiving what God has revealed, and may be defined as that trust in the God of the Scriptures and in Jesus Christ whom He has sent, which receives Him as Savior and Lord, and urges believers to loving obedience and good works (John 1:12); (James 2:14-26). The particular uses of faith give rise to its secondary definitions: (1) For salvation, faith is personal trust, apart from meritorious works, in the Lord Jesus Christ, as delivered for our offences, and raised again for our justification. (Romans 4:5, 23-25). (2) As used in prayer, faith is the "confidence that we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us". (1 John 5:14-15). (3) As used in reference to unseen things of which Scripture speaks, faith "gives substance" to them, so that we act upon the conviction of their reality. (Hebrews 11:1-3).

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good report. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
(Hebrews 11:1-3 KJV)

Faith substantiates promises of God which we hope for, as future in fulfillment, making them present realities to us. Through faith, the future object of Christian hope, in its beginning, is already present. True faith infers the reality of the objects believed in by us and promises made by the Lord. By faith alone we are sure of eternal things that they ARE: but by hope we are confident that WE SHALL HAVE them. All hope presupposes faith. The evidence of things not seen is convincing proof to the believer: the soul thereby seeing what the eye cannot see. By faith we place our eternal interests on the word of God, and this is extremely reasonable because the Lord has never, EVER, broken any of His promises.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Return to Disciple Bible Study