Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

ECCENTRICSHEEP

HEBREWS CHAPTER 6

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 am

This week we will be discussing HEBREWS Chapter 6. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 6
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

eccentricsheepie.wordpress.com
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: HEBREWS CHAPTER 6

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 am

16 People swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. 17 Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.

Ironically being one that can't see the worth in myself, I often tell others how valuable they are. Many are like me and can't see it...can't blame you for that lol. The thing is, our worth doesn't really come from this world.

Worth determined here is incredibly fickle and arbitrary. Something is worth more is enough people or the RIGHT people say so. A crowd says they all like something, so it is worth more. A famous person says they like something, and if their word has authority it is deemed worth more. People's works on earth are deemed valuable or worthless by how much people care for what they do. A comic book can jump in value out of nowhere if all of a sudden everyone wants it because maybe its a new #1 (they reboot all the time -_-) or some new character appears, or a new movie adds buzz to it.

If the crowd declares an object once valuable to not be so anymore, it is so. All the fads items of their desires are left in their wake. Even the works of people. We've watched celebrities once be the apple of their eye drop to worthless over something they said or did. The crowd is fickle. They will drop things to desire another in a heart beat.

That's not where our worth comes from. Our worth comes from God. God has deemed our valuable, and no man can alter that which God has deemed valuable.

18 God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope set before us may be greatly encouraged.

So no one can deem you worthless....not even you. I can stand by those words and die for those words. I have told people I would die for the words I have told them because they are worth dying for. You are worth saving. You are worth dying for. You are worth fighting for. Even if I can't say them to myself, I will say them to others. Because of the unchanging nature of God as said here, I can stand by those words, and no man can change those words because they are not from this earth.

your value is unchangeable, you will always be valuable

19 We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, 20 where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.

God's promises are far beyond any promises we make here that are weak and vulnerable and often broken. I feel I can't even keep a promise to God, I always fail him. The only promise I feel I can keep is to see this life through and not use my own hands to take myself out of this world...and even then sometimes that promises feels hard to keep. God's promises are unbreakable though. They are forever.

Which is why hope from God is far beyond any hopes we can and can imagine here. We hope for many things and in the back of our mind wonder if we waste our time and if what we hope for will even happen. We hope with a hint of doubt. There is no doubt in our hope that comes from God, because his promises are unbreakable. Its better than hope because it WILL BE FULFILLED.

You are far more valuable than all the fickle and arbitrary things of this world man goes back and worth on. You have a hope that is worth holding onto even if you only feel immense suffering from the moment you are born to the moment you die because no matter how much you suffer....one day it will end FOREVER if you hold tight to our savior....the high priest who is forever, who has mentioned you by name that you are his at the right hand of God
With hammer in hand, I began to pull out every nail. Every board I placed beside me on the damp ground. After many years of pouring everything I could into avoiding that way, I found myself walking there once again.

lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 pm

It’s crazy how much this chapter overlaps with what we’re covering in Hosea right now! It’s almost like it was meant to be :D More on that later!
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."
~2 Timothy 3:16

My favourite instructional study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-m-Rk_GzE
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 am

In the last chapter, Paul was laying down a challenge to the audience to move past the milk of God's word into the meat. He said [paraphrase], "Milk is for babies who don't know anything and aren't skilled in God's word, but meat is for mature people, people who have developed some experience in living a Christian life." Now, in chapter 6 he continues by challenging the audience to move on beyond the basic "2+2=4" foundational lessons (repentance, faith, baptism, laying on of hands [which ironically I believe we've lost as a foundational message today], and resurrection) and move on to the deeper "advanced calculus' lessons in the word.

But then he makes an interesting detour and says we'll move to the deeper lessons "if God allows it." Why? Why would God not allow it? And this is where he completes a spiritual lesson that I had struggled with in some of Jesus' teachings in the gospel. Jesus tells the parable of the sower in Matthew 13, and the disciples ask Him, "Why do you speak to people in parables?" He answers [paraphrase], "[I speak in parables so they won't understand me,] for this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing[see Hebrews 5:11], and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them." But, again, why? Why would God not want people to convert and to heal them? Paul completes the lesson in this chapter:

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance;* seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame.
~Hebrews 6:4-6

*For a deeper lesson here from the law, this is a similar figure to how one should not remarry the same person after a divorce if the other person had married someone else in the period of divorce [Deuteronomy 24:1-4]

Not letting people understand His word and truly convert at any old random time is a protection measure for people. The word is meant for people who are ready, whose hearts have been prepared like the good soil in the parable of the sower (Matthew 13). Otherwise, the people would come to God, convert, fall away from God to something else, and then try to come back again, wash, rinse, repeat... just like the lessons we are learning about Ephraim in the book of Hosea now. In Hosea 4, God says that His people are destroyed for lack of knowledge, because they don't study His word (just like Paul says that some people stay on the milk, and never mature in God's word). But in Hosea 5, we see Ephraim walk away from God in idol worship (spiritual adultery), and try to return to God and convert in chapter 6. And then God says [paraphrase], "O Ephraim, what am I going to do with you? You're just like a morning mist and an early morning dew that, just as soon as the sun comes up, poof, you're going to be gone and turn away from Me again." Why? God explains it in Hosea 7, that His people are... for lack of a better word... stupid. He literally uses figure of a half-baked pancake to say that the people who don't study His word are "half-baked". They allow their anger to overtake them because they don't understand the reality of situations, and they go off half-baked mistreating each other in a fit of rage. Sound familiar? How are we doing in this social media/twitter generation? Are we known for being terribly kind to each other now? (Oh yes, God also these people are like a dove without understanding--- bird-brained. A somewhat fitting image for the twitter-verse.)

How do we reverse this? Study on in God's word to develop understanding, compassion, the knowledge of how to treat people properly so we can gain confidences, and trust, and put an end to all strifes. Just like the Forerunner, Jesus, did-- the anchor of hope for our souls. And this is where Paul lets off the throttle a bit for the audience in Hebrews 6:9-10 to say that he has confidence that they [we] will continue on, and continue to work to God's glory, which He will take pleasure in and reward.
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 am

why did you have to use the word calculus? ewwww

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 am

I had another thought yesterday before I....wrote something else entirely unplanned lol....

Is there anything that feels like basic teachings that you feel like you are stuck on? Something you feel like you haven't been have to get passed?

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:54 am

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:I had another thought yesterday before I....wrote something else entirely unplanned lol....

Is there anything that feels like basic teachings that you feel like you are stuck on? Something you feel like you haven't been have to get passed?

I'm stuck on anger pretty bad. Old diaries and poetry suggest its been a thing all my life. Anger and anxiety are tough because you really can't completely stop them from happening, you just learn to deal with them when they come around and lessen the duration and damage they do.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 am

Reformation Study Bible:

5:11–6:12 Christ’s priestly ministry after the order of Melchizedek is “hard to explain” (5:11) because of the readers’ immaturity. The exhortation in this section focuses on the dangers posed by a failure to “go on to maturity” (6:1 text note).

6:1 the elementary doctrine of Christ. These are the ABC’s of Christian doctrine, which are now briefly enumerated (vv. 1, 2). All these doctrines can be found in the Book of Acts.

6:2 washings. (Lit. “baptisms”). The plural is unexpected; there is only one Christian baptism (Eph. 4:5). Yet even today when Christian baptism is discussed, other baptisms, at least John the Baptist’s, must be mentioned. This was certainly true in New Testament times (9:10; Matt. 3:11; 28:19; Mark 1:4; John 4:1; Acts 1:5). Another possibility is that the word refers specifically to Old Testament ceremonial washings (see 9:10) as part of the essential background for Christ’s work.

laying on of hands. This action accompanied blessing, healing the sick, ordination of church officers, and especially the gift of the Spirit, which was also associated with baptism (Matt. 19:13–15; Luke 4:40; Acts 6:6; 8:17; 9:17; 28:8; 1 Tim. 4:14). Alternatively, as is possible with “washings,” the writer may be referring to the Old Testament foundations of Christ’s work.

6:3 if God permits. This conventional phrase acknowledges the need for God’s help in learning and teaching Christian doctrine. Its use suggests that the material to follow is difficult, as indeed it is.

6:4–12 This sober warning has been variously interpreted. Some understand the author to refer to genuine Christians who lose their salvation, but such a reading conflicts with passages that teach that those whom God has truly saved will persevere in faith to the end (John 10:28, 29; Rom. 8:28–30; “Perseverance of the Saints” at Rom. 8:30). Others interpret the warning as an argument directed against a Judaizing heretical sect, followers of a heresy serious enough that embracing it would lead to the loss of all hope of salvation. Another interpretation holds that the author is describing the apostates of vv. 4–8 in terms of their profession and the blessings they appeared to share with genuine believers up to the moment of their apostasy. Although Jesus saves completely (7:25) and has made perfect forever (10:13) those who hear His word with faith, the author exhorts the readers to prove the faith they profess by their perseverance. Without faith, proximity to God in the fellowship of His covenant people is no blessing; rather, it subjects apostates to more severe judgment.

6:6 if they then fall away. There is a kind of falling away that is irreversible (1 John 5:16). Christian salvation is final (10:4), and the decision to reject it, if made at a certain level, cannot be reversed. According to 1 John 2:19, anyone who makes such a decision was not really a member of the household of faith, although they may have seemed to be. Judas Iscariot is the clearest example of someone who participated in the coming of the kingdom, but did not enter it (Matt. 26:47–49; cf. Matt. 7:21–23). This warning is not to encourage speculation about whether others are irretrievably lost, but urges us to cling closely to the Savior ourselves. See “The Unpardonable Sin” at Mark 3:29.

crucifying once again the Son of God. By renouncing their faith in Christ they declare that Christ’s cross is not a holy sacrifice for others’ sins, but the deserved execution of a guilty criminal (10:29). Such apostates have returned to a point where the Cross does nothing but condemn them as accomplices in murder (Acts 18:5, 6).

There is an analogy between the once-for-all character of Christ’s sacrifice for sin and the believer’s symbolic participation in that crucifixion through baptism (v. 4 note). Christ’s sacrificial death cannot be repeated. In the same way, the believer’s participation in His death, sealed by baptism (Rom. 6:3, 4; Col. 2:12), cannot be withdrawn and then repeated.

6:7, 8 According to the prophetic imagery of the Old Testament, the ground is God’s people (Is. 5:1–7), and the rain falling on it is the Word (Is. 55:10, 11) or the Spirit of God (Is. 44:3, 4). The unproductive field is destroyed (Is. 5:4–6). See also Matt. 13:7, 8, 22, 23.

6:9–12 By bearing firstfruits of a useful crop, the readers give reason for confidence that they will prove to be the land that receives God’s blessing of salvation. Still, they must shake off their present sluggishness to receive the inheritance promised to patient believers. The severity of the previous warning should not lead to despair.

6:10 serving . . . still do. For example, through standing with those ridiculed or imprisoned for their faith (10:32–34).

6:13–20 Faith can endure patiently because God’s oath secures His promise to us, as it did to Abraham. Our confidence rests in the eternal high priesthood of Jesus after the order of Melchizedek, a priesthood secured by divine promise and oath (7:20–22, 28).

6:13 he swore by himself. That God, whose “word is truth” (John 17:17; cf. Titus 1:2), should reinforce the surety of that infallible promise through an oath underscores the permanence and seriousness of the divine promise (Gen. 15:8–21; 22:17). While sinful and fallible human beings “swear by something greater” than themselves (v. 16), God, the highest authority, “swore by himself” (v. 13).

6:15 having patiently waited, obtained. The divine promise and oath (Gen. 22:17) was God’s response to Abraham’s attempted sacrifice of Isaac, the child of divine promise (Gen. 12:2; 15:4–6), in obedience to divine direction (Gen. 22:2). In the birth and then the rescue of Isaac (Gen. 21:1–3; 22:11, 12), Abraham did receive the promised blessing of offspring. Nevertheless, he did not see the complete fulfillment of those covenantal promises (11:39, 40; cf. Rom. 4:13, 16, 17).

6:17 the heirs of the promise. God’s oath-bound promise was not only for Abraham but for all who follow his footsteps of faith (1:14; 6:12; 10:36; Rom. 4:23, 24).

his purpose. God’s unchanging purpose was to bless the world through the seed of Abraham (Gen. 12:3); the meaning of this was revealed in the gospel (Gal. 3:6–9).

6:18 two unchangeable things. The unchanging promise God conveyed to Abraham and the oath that confirmed it, raising it above all uncertainty or distrust (vv. 13, 14 note). The oath confirms that the promise was indeed the purpose of God.

6:20 has gone as a forerunner. Entrance to the inner sanctuary is not possible without Jesus. He went in first, so that His people could follow. But His entrance, and how His people have a part in it, requires a lengthy explanation. This verse begins the discussion of Christ’s priesthood “after the order of Melchizedek,” announced in 5:6 but delayed until now.

Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed reading what Courtney and Micheal wrote here.

Anger, like being offended is definitely a big sticking point. We will get constant opportunities throughout life to let God teach us how to handle these better

I enjoyed reading what Micheal said about Ephraim and Hosea. It seems to me when discussing the doctrines of “Eternal Security” and “Losing Your Salvation” that Hebrews gives the most ammunition to the “Lose Your Salvation” camp. I grew up believing you could lose your Salvation. And then switched to Eternal Security as an adult. And now I actually believe a hybrid of the two with the caveat being.... I’m not really sure. There are so many verses that strongly support Eternal Security it is pointless to mention them because they are many. But Hebrews 6:4-6 is one that can be interpreted to strongly support the other side. In the commentary Courtney shared, it was mentioned that these folks were probably never really Christians in some way. It is hard for me fully embrace that those described here were never really Christians when their description included “enlightened, tastes the heavenly gift, become partakers in the Holy Spirit, tasted the good Word of God, and powers of the age to come.” I can’t think of an example where someone was ever a partaker of the Holy Spirit and wasn’t really a Christian, nor can I imagine an instance where God would do this. I don’t think Judas applies here. For while he performed miracles, it could be argued that he never tasted the heavenly gift and was never a partaker of the Holy Spirit. The very mention of “heavenly gift” implies salvation. But then in context with the plethora of verses that support Eternal Security it’s hard that think that losing salvation is possible. On YouVersion App, the Amplified Bible has some great insight on how these verses have been interpreted in different ways (just click the “...” link next to the verses). I would love to hear your guys’ thoughts on this.

Here is where I have landed. I think it is almost impossible to lose your Salvation, and that it is only slightly possible. One verse in particular has brought me to that place.
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6

Even in my darkest times of sin as a Christian, there was still some semblance of faith. And that faith would always eventually respond to the Holy Spirit’s conviction and repent. This amazing act of God’s faithfulness has been present throughout our relationship, He is faithful to convict of sin, and He is faithful to forgive sin. Now here’s the question, is it possible for me to stop having faith. This is the big question. Because without faith it is “impossible” to please God. The word impossible means that faith has to be present in order for me to be saved. Could I stop believing? Could I go beyond simply sinning and throw away faith entirely. If the answer is yes, then I think this is how one falls away. Because when faith is present, I am eternally secure. God is faithful to convict and forgive. But if I say “I renounce you God, I am no longer your Son, you are no longer my Father. I will not respond in faith to any more of your promptings.” For me, that’s it. Without faith it is impossible to please God, and if it’s not there, then that’s it. You’re done. Now some will say, well he was never really a Christian then. For me, that’s way too easy of an explanation, and would lead to all of us walking around perpetually asking the question “am I really saved” with no confidence of Salvation ever. Now whether my faith is present is because of my own will or because of God’s will is a whole different topic. Faith is the essential key. Like in Romans 10:10 we can have confidence in our salvation because of our faith
“For with the heart a person believes [in Christ as Savior] resulting in his justification [that is, being made righteous--being freed of the guilt of sin and made acceptable to God]; and with the mouth he acknowledges and confesses [his faith openly], resulting in and confirming [his] salvation.”
‭‭ROMANS‬ ‭10:10‬ ‭AMP‬‬
https://www.bible.com/1588/rom.10.10.amp

Remove faith out of the equation and I think it changes everything. What do you guys think?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 am

I think there's 2 big things that depending on which way you go shows your faith.

1. Whether you even care or not.

The sin itself isn't really as important I think as whether or not the person even gives a care. Its when you keep going down the slippery slope without a care. Its when you stop repenting. Yeah we screw up everyday, but we care about that. The problem comes when you stop caring that you screwed up...or even don't think you did anything wrong.

I think the same thing goes for your faith...what matters is if you still care. Which is why many of us can drift off a little but God is still calling us back...we still care in our hearts. There is a big difference between someone who still cares about their faith and their shortcomings, and those that don't care at all. That is something that those around you might not see but God can...how much you truly still care.

I think the "if you are sitting here worried about it you don't have anything to worry about" is very true but people who don't care aren't worried about it...but not in a confident way...in a they don't care at all way.

Apathy is dangerous. I have felt deeper darker apathy in those darkest moments of mine as I have gotten older than I have ever felt in my life. It is a dark cold place that is difficult to get out of. It is a place where if you stop caring too long, you won't be able to get out of it.

2. How you react to the worst trials of your life, how you deal with loss

One of the big things that makes people drift away is that, "if God is so great, how come he let ________ happen?" Its a big turning point for people's faiths..how they react to the worst moments in their life. We are suppose to run toward God then, but some run away....and some don't come back.

Its like marriage. So many people divorce after huge trials like the loss of a child....it is when they are suppose to come together the most, but instead they break apart.

Death is one of the worst pains we will ever deal with her. I can't even talk about it much because even though my maternal grandmother has been gone for going on 13 years...it still hurts immensely and I will turn into a puddle of tears writing this if I carry on too long. It tears you up...sometimes for the rest of your mortal life. Those big moments of pain can be a turning point for many people. They either cling to God, or they completely drop their faith because they don't understand why a God would put them through that.

Which is why you should hold tight to your friends and family in loss. For many, that is when their faith in God falters.

I think it many instances our faith is secure. There are some turning points that we all face that can change that though. And that "they weren't that faithful in the first place probably" might not be true....but God knows what people are going to do....so he already knows if they will leave.

I know when I lost my job and grandfather within a few days of each other I had to say out loud "THERE IS A REASON FOR THIS" over and over to keep my faith strong.

Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 am

I wish I could just click on your post and say “I liked it” ;)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
lappinglivingwater

by lappinglivingwater Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 am

Man, Kevin-- I think one of your natural strengths is just being able to stoke a fire in people. The questions you ask, and the way you see things has done that for me on more than one occasion. I may not always agree --- but it definitely challenges me to take a good hard look at how I see things, and articulate my view more clearly than I had before.

When it comes to a question like this, I want to be very careful. I don't want to say anything that would knock people off course from trying to grow deeper in the word because they felt that they screwed up so bad that they just throw in the towel. (I in some regards came from that exact spot! I was raised in a Christian home, lived life much like a prodigal son (in drunkenness and partying in teenage and early adulthood) not exemplary of one of God's children at all, but when I did return because of the emptiness I felt inside, I can not explain it any other way than saying clearly that I have felt God's touch in my life (and sometimes chastisement) in a way that convinces me that I have not been cast off.) To me, there is only one unforgiveable sin (Matthew 12:31-32; 1 John 5:16). All others are forgiveable.

I don't believe that one can "lose" their salvation. God is faithful to secure it for you, and no one can rip it away from Him, nor would He fail in any way in the end. However, I do believe that you can give it up yourself. Paul gives the example of Esau in Hebrews 12 as one who gave it up and couldn't get it back through repentance (the figure being that Esau was the firstborn heir to all that Isaac had, but he gave that inheritance up for worldly lusts):

Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For you know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

~Hebrews 12:15-17

(My pastor actually had an interesting way of teaching what was said about restoring people to repentance in Hebrews 6. He warned people of ever having to say that they had to "be saved again" because of any sin that they had committed. In a way, to him, it was like telling God that He had failed -- that the salvation given wasn't enough to keep you on track. And that, he said, "would get you in hot water big time" with God because God didn't fail, you did. It was like recrucifying Christ all over again. So he would say that you come to terms with how you went off course, repent, and get back on track, but don't ever say that you had to be saved again. Jesus died once for all forgiveable sin-- past, present and future. And that's that.)

There are numerous other verses, parables and figures that set warning as to how Christians can go off course and "make shipwreck" of their salvation. But, like Court said, we need to repent, to continue on in the word to build that faith, to learn and to grow, and God will forgive and purge us of our sins. God knows if we have true faith in Him, and knows the state of our salvation, our maturity, and what is good for us in our lives. God allows certain things to happen in our lives or not to in order to protect us and teach us, and His grace (that is what He allows) is sufficient. At the end of the day, I try to leave the thought of whether I'm saved or not in God's hands, and try to focus on how to live in a way that is pleasing to Him because that's what we were created to do. (But admittedly I'm not super fantastic at that anyway, O wretched man that I am.)

Vambram

by Vambram Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:20 pm

I believe that Hebrews 6:4-6 presents an argument based upon a false premise (that a truly born-again Christian can fall away) and follows it to its conclusion (that Jesus would have to be sacrificed again and again). The absurdity of the conclusion points up the impossibility of the original assumption. This reasoning is called reductio ad absurdum, in which a premise is disproved by showing that it logically leads to an absurdity. I believe that the writer of Hebrews set up a hypothetical statement: "If a born-again Christian were to fall away" and then says that it would be impossible to renew them again to repentance and salvation. The Lord Jesus Christ died only just one time for Sin, as taught in Hebrews 9:28. I believe that if Christ's death is insufficient and a born-again Christian were to fall away and lose his salvation, then there is no hope at all.

As suggested already by Kevin, Courtney, and Micheal, there is another valid interpretation for Hebrews 6:4-6 which I believe also teaches that a truly born-again Christian cannot lose their salvation. I am not talking about one who is Christian in name only, but instead have the indwelling Holy Spirit within him/her because of the salvation of his/her soul. This interpretation suggests that this passage is written about unbelievers who are convinced of the basic truths of the gospel but who have not placed their faith in Jesus Christ as Savior. They are intellectually persuaded but spiritually uncommitted.
According to this interpretation, the phrase "once enlightened" refers to some level of instruction in biblical truth.

However, understanding the words of Scripture is not the same as being regenerated by the Holy Spirit. Through God’s sovereign power, every man has enough light to be held responsible. This light either leads to the complete acceptance of Jesus Christ or produces condemnation in those who reject such light. The people described in Hebrews 6:4–6 are of the latter group—unbelievers who have been exposed to God’s redemptive truth and perhaps have made a profession of faith. However, a mere profession of faith is not the same as having genuine saving faith.

This valid interpretation of this passage in Hebrews sees the "falling away" in verse 6 as a reference to those who have tasted the truth but, not
having come all the way to faith, fall away from even the revelation they have been given. The tasting of truth is not enough to keep them from falling away from it.

I am a firm believer in the doctrine of the eternal security of a Christian's salvation through the grace of God. For me, Hebrews 6:4-6 is one of the many passages of Scripture that reinforces this doctrine. I believe that a Christian can know for certain whether or not he/she is saved.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV
Return to Disciple Bible Study