Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

lappinglivingwater

THE MINOR PROPHETS - HOSEA CHAPTER 5

by lappinglivingwater Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:23 am

This week we will be discussing HOSEA Chapter 5. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 5
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

All opinions are welcome and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."
~2 Timothy 3:16

My favourite instructional study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-m-Rk_GzE
lappinglivingwater

Re: THE MINOR PROPHETS - HOSEA CHAPTER 5

by lappinglivingwater Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:35 am

Look at how this chapter opens up. [Paraphrase] “LISTEN UP! You priests, and people, and political rulers…” The priests are first in order of judgment here. This is consistent with what Peter says, “For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that do not obey the gospel of God?” (1 Peter 4:17), and also Christ, “Unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required” (Luke 12:48). But following up on Peter’s question above, Hosea covered this in chapter 4: if the priests and those in authority set a bad example, God will show mercy to those under their authority. (Note: I use brackets in my quotes to add context to how I read the verses, but not stating that this is how it should be read.)

I will not punish your daughters when they commit whoredom, nor your spouses when they commit adultery: for [the husbands/priests] themselves are separated with whores, and they sacrifice with harlots: therefore [it’s only natural that] the people that do not understand shall fall.
~Hosea 4:14

Note: insertion of “[the husbands/priests]” in reference back to Hosea 4:6 and 4:9; and “[it’s only natural that]” in reference to “like people, like priest” in Hosea 4:9.

The warning in beginning of the chapter is to priests, people (I believe representing political activists, and the general “popular opinion”), and rulers. The warning comes across as a warning against trying to stop people from spreading God’s truth and celebrating God’s mercy. (Remember back to chapter 4, when God said His people are destroyed for lack of knowledge [of God and God’s word]. The warning here in this chapter is more potent towards those who actively prevent people from spreading God’s word.
The statements in the chapter also remind me of Jesus’ end times parables in Matthew 25.

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be comparable unto ten virgins, who took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, “Behold, the bridegroom comes; go out you all to meet him.” Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, “Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.” But the wise answered, saying, “Not so; lest there not be enough for us and you: but go yourselves rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins also came, saying, “Lord, Lord, open to us.” But He answered and said, “Truly I say unto you, I do not know you.” Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man comes.
~Matthew 25:1-13

When once the master of the house is risen up, and has shut to the door, and you begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, “Lord, Lord, open unto us;” and he shall answer and say unto you, “I do not know you, or where you are from:” then shall you begin to say, “We have eaten and drunk in your presence, and you have taught in our streets.” But he shall say, “I tell you, I do not know you, or where you are from; depart from me, all you workers of iniquity.” There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.
~Luke 13:25-28

This is where I want to encourage people because I’ve heard believers reference this last verse and say, “Well, we don’t know the day or the hour, so we might as well not even think about it.” This is exactly the opposite of how I read most end-times prophecy. While we may not know the specific date or time, we will know the signs to know roughly when it will happen, or signals that it could be happening soon. All of the prophets, New Testament writers, and Christ’s own teachings provide for that. God said to Hosea, “My People are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you (Hosea 4:6).” This is the difference between the wise virgins and the foolish ones.

First, let’s set this comparison: in Christ’s parable there are ten virgins, and in Hosea, God is speaking to “Ephraim”, the largest tribe of the ten tribes that make up “the house of Israel”, and is symbolic of all ten tribes. Christ says that they all waited for the bridegroom while he tarried, and Hosea tells the bride that he purchases of “the house of Israel” to wait for him many days (Hosea being representative of Christ in the prophecy in Hosea 3). The circumstances of the marriages in both Christ’s prophecy and Hosea chapter 3 have some very similar qualities.

Let’s compare the oil in the lamps to various types of spirits (for a rough decoder on this symbolism, see 1 Samuel 16:13 and Isaiah 61:1). These spirits allow for different types of light, or “enlightenment”. Now, the wise virgins clearly have the Holy Spirit in their lamps; they are enlightened, prepared, and ready to do what they need to when Christ returns. They have studied to show themselves approved workers who rightly divide the word of truth. But what about the foolish virgins? What kind of oil do they have in their lamps? Nothing, or at least not anything that produces light, and they have to go and buy some from other people. Compare that to the statement that the spirit of whoredoms is among Ephraim (Hosea 5:4), and that whoredoms and wine and new wine take away the understanding (Hosea 4:11), and that God’s people are destroyed for lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6). There are similarities between the foolish virgins and Ephraim in Hosea 5. The scenario in Hosea, therefore, plays out very similar to what Christ says the end times will be like.

What then? Are we referring to a specific trumpet in Hosea 5:8? Is the wrath to be poured out like water (Hosea 5:10) the same as God’s bowls (some Bibles translate “vials”) of wrath poured out in Revelation 16? Is the affliction in Hosea 5:15 that Ephraim will go through the same as where there will be “weeping and gnashing of teeth”?

The comparisons are very interesting.
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."
~2 Timothy 3:16

My favourite instructional study: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC-m-Rk_GzE
Return to Disciple Bible Study