Join Disciple's weekly discussion of the Bible as we share our thoughts, questions, and insights with each other.

Moderator: Bouncers

Kevin Young
Bouncer

TITUS CHAPTER 3

by Kevin Young Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:13 pm

This week we will be discussing TITUS Chapter 3. After you read the chapter, please take time to post….

1. Your favorite passages from Chapter 3
2. Things that challenged you
3. Any special insights that you would like to share with us
4. Any questions that you may have
5. Any related thoughts at all
(This is just a guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly)

We welcome all opinions and no question is ever a "dumb" question. We want everyone to feel welcome and have the freedom to share whatever they may like. The only thing we ask is that while sharing your opinion, please be respectful to others. In short, disagree without being rude and hurtful. Also, if you are reading these posts and part of the Bible Study but feel like you don't have anything to add or post, we would ask that you please at least check in and post that you are reading with us so that we know you are there. Even when you don't say anything, it is encouraging just knowing that people are in our group with us. We all learn so much from these studies, so with that being said….. LET'S GO!!!!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
ECCENTRICSHEEP

Re: TITUS CHAPTER 3

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 pm

to be ready to do whatever is good

okay I'm just gonna ramble on this part.....

Are always REALLY ready to do whatever is good? Sometimes what good needs to be done requires a lot of sacrifice so maybe we aren't quite ready for it. All kinds of sacrifice not just money....sacrifice of time and even personal space if you bring people into your home.

I've said it before, maybe not here...but I always think people who take in maybe an aging parent or family or friends in need into their home and help take care of them is a special act of love. That's HUGE sacrifice...especially taking care of an aging parent with health needs. These are not sacrifices everyone is willing and ready to take. Its hard work that doesn't always feel good to those that take it...but that's what's amazing...they still take the task even though its very difficult at times. I always try to pray for those who make that huge sacrifice of time, money and space for those that need it that can never pay them back...pray for God to see that amazing sacrifice and find a way to reward them.

We even miss times we can bless people in little ways from time to time....from saying the right thing to small financial blessings.

I know online I am more likely to be ready and willing to do good and speak up when I feel pushed to, but in person I feel I fail at this.

4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.

I loved that "he saved us" part. Especially because its not based on what we've done....surely I would failed to be saved if it was based on what I had done.

10 years ago my grandmother died on Easter Sunday. For at least 5 years after that, I HATED Easter. I hated the fact that I heard such an awesome sermon and got pumped about Easter and then hours later I found out she was gone...it felt like a slap in the face from God.

Now though, I think I appreciate the death and resurrection part of Easter SO MUCH MORE because she conquered death on Resurrection Day too. I didn't really think about Palm Sunday, Good Friday, and the entire timeline before she died. I didn't watch all my Jesus centered movies and really focus on those few days there. It took a while, but Easter changed for the better for me.

He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

I needed that "he saved us" part. I just want to sit here and say that over and over, "he saved us". I've had anxiety all day and wanted to just peel my skin off because of it, and I've tried a bunch of stuff trying to ease it...and nothing really worked. Reading that brings some peace though.

9 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10 Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them. 11 You may be sure that such people are warped and sinful; they are self-condemned.

There is so much junk online that it is an absolute waste of our time to get involved with. Its so hard to be quiet sometimes, but much of the time we really should just be quiet if we don't have something to say that will build someone up. Believe me, I have a big mouth I'm guilty myself lol. Can't tell you how many times I've had to delete stuff I was about to say online...sadly I don't always get my to delete it....
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/

"Is there any light here?" (a poem)
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ight-poem/
Karen

by Karen Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 pm

I just discovered you guys in Oct when you toured with Red. I absolutely love how you do Bible studies each week. It's really meaningful.

This is my first time joining your Bible study. I too have a lot of anxiety. Prayer, fellowship, and reading/studying the Bible have helped me so much.

It's amazing to look back at how I was before I was a Christian and how I am after becoming one...not perfect by any means but striving towards a Christ centered life. As rotten of a sinner as I was (am) He still chose me. To die for me. That is truly amazing! True unconditional love.

It is often hard to do good, especially without grumbling but it can be done. We must keep in mind that we are not doing the good things for ourselves but for His Glory. So His light may shine through us and possibly lead others to know Him.

Words do sometimes speak louder than actions though...especially when those words are the Good News of the Gospel. I love when people ask why I believe or why I choose to do good things. It opens the door for them to hear the Gospel. I too have been guilty of having to delete certain posts or comments because it doesn't uplift others. We are supposed to spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
Kat

by Kat Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:26 am

Titus 3:5New Living Translation (NLT)

5 he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.

I love this verse! It is such a great reminder of what He did for us! :D
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 pm

I just want wanted to use something that happened to me last week to show that you don't have to have a lot of talent or charisma to serve God, and you don't have to have a lot of money or be able to go to Africa or something to serve him.

All you gotta do is give God yourself and work with what you have. God gives us all we need to do what he wants us to do. It's all in your hands right now. Most of all, you've just gotta be willing to get out there and do it...and do it for his glory and not your own.

So, I've been messaging people on a blog site for 2 years. About 730-750 messages. I don't get a ton of replies, less than 25%. There's no personal glory. No crowds cheering me from the stage. No adoring fans. In fact, no one would know if I didn't say anything. If I didn't learn cool stuff from the experience I felt was worth sharing...I wouldn't tell a soul probably because I don't do it for bragging rights.

So last week I got online at a different time than usual. Messaged a few people I felt drawn to. I woke up to a message that someone had decided not to kill themselves because of that message I sent. I've never gotten a reply like that before in 2 years and hundreds of messages.

I didn't have to be in a band to reach them. I didn't have to be a missionary in another country to reach them. I didn't have to be super talented or smart to reach them. I just had to be willing to get out there and do something and let God guide me and let him do his work through me. I just gave him what little I have and let him do his thing.

Because one day God said "this is really important to you, what are you willing to do for it?" And I said "anything!" So I do everything in my power according to what he wants me to do...like go out of my comfort zone for my cause.

That's another thing, you've gotta be ready to go out into the unknown in faith and get out of that comfort zone a little. I tell you, I can count the negative responses ON ONE HAND. If you let God work, he will guide you to who needs you. It's all God's, just let him work through you.

So yeah, just give God your heart, your hands, your feet, and your time. And let him do some amazing things through you.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Oh what a glorious distraction from anxiety this bible study is...

A few quotes from J. Vernon McGee on Titus 3

Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good,

The very first thing he mentions here is the fact that the church must have members who are law abiding. A believer should obey the laws of the land in which he lives unless those laws conflict or contradict his duty and relationship to God........................................We are to be subject to the principalities and powers over us. A church should teach this; part of the message that should be given to church members is that they should be obedient to the powers that be. that obedience is not to the MAN but to the OFFICE that he represents. Perhaps you resent the manner in which a police officer gives you a citation for a traffic violation, but you should respect the uniform he wears. He represents the segment of our society that protects our persons and our property. Without them we would be in a bad way today

4 But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

"washing" means laver--it is the laver of regeneration. In the Old Testament the laver, which stood in the court of the tabernacle and later the temple, represented this. This washing of regeneration is what the Lord was speaking about in the third chapter of John, "except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). The water represents the Word of God --the Bible will wash you. It has a sanctifying power, a cleansing power. We are cleansed by the Word of God. The Holy Spirit uses the Word of God---"born of water and of the Spirit." That is the way we are born again.

"and renewing of the Holy Ghost"---He regenerates us.

((Germaphobe Courtney, who never feels clean...sometimes on multiple levels, really appreciated this.))

6 whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,

Have you noticed that in everything God does there is a surplus? He is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think.

((Wow that is so true!! I can think of times God did some much more than I could imagine. There is always an abundance of things like love, mercy, and grace.))

sassy1506

by sassy1506 Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Courtney, I love you. I love your heart and I love your posts. You are wonderful.

But— When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.
Titus 3:4‭-‬5 NLT

He saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy.

This is something I need to dwell on more. I'm a perfectionist, so the thought of not being able to earn something this important drives me crazy. I constantly want to try harder and be better, and I constantly fail. Then I start pulling away from God because I can't handle the pressure I put on myself. It's stupid.

Recently, I started thinking about the day my dad came home with the guitar I first fell in love with. The first thing I did after taking it out of its case and thanking my dad a thousand times was promise to pay him back. He said to worry about that later; it's been 5 years and he still won't let me pay him back. I didn't do anything to earn it, but my dad will never take it away from me.

That's the simplest thing, but it's so difficult to comprehend when it comes to grace. I'm just glad God put me in a place where I'm easily reminded of my guitar and its story, which leads to an overwhelming understanding of grace right when it's needed.
-Sam

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" -James 4:7
Columbia

by Columbia Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am

Enjoyed reading the posts. Will post at a later time.
Kevin Young
Bouncer

by Kevin Young Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Courtney,
I loved reading that someone had made the choice to live Bc of one of your posts. That literally made my day. Praise our great and glorious God
Kevin
Trust in the Lord with all your heart - Prov. 3:5,6
kmillertwin

by kmillertwin Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am

:D thanks for the message
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 pm

8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.

9 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.

I wanted to come back to this again since its something not only I've seen myself do, but I've seen others do it.

We REALLY need to look at what we're saying...in real life and online. I know this past election pulled up a lot of ugly stuff for sure. Its just frustrating to see people post some really awesome loving encouraging thing one minute and the next something the complete opposite of all that.

Really think about the motives of what you say online....are you saying something that is good and perhaps encouraging to something...or are you just running your mouth and tearing people down to "speak your mind".

We need to quit thinking we have this right to speak OUR mind and look at if we are speaking from GOD'S mind. Like something he would want us to say instead of getting our own judgmental opinions out there that sometimes hurt someone.

Honestly, I'm about ready to start saying what I really think when someone does it....that they're better than those bitter little posts full of not so good things.

because the people that speak the MOST about hate and wanting to get rid of hate....they are the MOST HATEFUL people on the internet....they DO NOT practice what they preach and I think they look like fools talking about peace and then spewing hate for everyone who doesn't think exactly like them

and I don't want any of you to be like that.......you are all better than that, so am I .....I have work to do too, so let's get to it

So let's all think about that when you are about to post something online....what good can come from this?

Columbia

by Columbia Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Don't measure up real well with the admonitions at the opening of this chapter. At least not around church. The secret for me now is to not get too involved there. Yet the Lord uses us in spite of ourselves. There was a funeral for a "legend" in the Hell's Angels last Saturday. I wanted to be a witness to those guys and then developed a desire to be a witness to passersby as well. There was no parking for me near the funeral home but the place was only about 1/2 mile from our home. So I made a couple of signs to remind the Angels and everyone else of Christ's love for them. But the wind was heavy that day. As I walked through our neighborhood, the signs started coming loose. I stopped to retie them, front and back, and a lady came out of her house. All the dogs had been barking at me so she peeked out her window and saw me. I suppose I was a sight to see. When I told her what I was up to, she asked if she could help me secure the signs. I accepted her help. She prayed for God's anointing on the signs and His protection upon me. Having received unexpected help, encouragement, and prayer from a Christian stranger, I went on my way. Angels security was heavy. They were obviously surprised to see me but never even said a cross word to me. The police kept a close watch on me but never bothered me either. Many, many bikers came and went while a few hundred stayed crowded in the large parking lot of the mortuary. During my three hours of pacing back and forth, across the street, two young ladies stopped to encourage me. One even gave me a cold Ice Mountain to drink. Then my wife called to tell me that friends had stopped by with a turkey dinner! By this time I could barely walk home. But the Lord got me there. Now I don't know if anything was accomplished or not. But I do know that God was gracious to me in spite of my many shortcomings. I know that He adores us all and is our hope just like the signs said. When I look at Titus 3, I see my inadequacies. I also see God's goodness. He is good to me. He has included me in His plan to reach a world of darkness. Crazy old man? Maybe. Loved by the God who loved Titus? Absolutely.
WanderingStar
Bouncer

by WanderingStar Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Titus 3:9 (ESV) wrote:But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

I used to draw on this verse in college when debates over minor theological/historical details got out of hand. ;)

In all seriousness: it's been a gut-check for me as someone who can be far too intellectual. Knowledge is good. But the heart motive behind acquiring and using that knowledge matters a lot more. Let's not get so caught up in the facts and details and doctrines that we lose sight of each other and the unity we have through Christ. I would rather have every detail of head knowledge about the Bible wiped from my memory than use a single fact as a way of creating division or selfishly one-upping someone else.

And of course, we need this in context of verses 4-8 which come right before and lay out the heart of the gospel. What should we focus on instead of details and debates? The incredible hope of God and the salvation that comes completely dependent on His character, not on us. That's a grace that keeps us all on equal footing, that unites instead of divides.

Love you guys. I always enjoy being a fly on the wall in here. :)
- Mary

"Is it OK to not know, not have the answers, and simply be someone who is searching for Someone to save me?"

We are the Alliance:
www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
www.twitter.com/discipalliance
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 pm

You know when you go to a Disciple show...we are all there for one purpose singing and praising God together. I think its so cool how united we are, and the whole time I don't even know what kind of churches you are all attend....because it doesn't matter if we go to different denominations...we are all one in Christ.

I was talking recently about people getting way into the parts of Genesis that aren't really the focus. Like if the 7 days of creation are actually 24 hour days or not or where the dinosaurs fit in. Some people get so caught up in that part of Genesis, and I think its the least important part of the book. Sometimes God doesn't go into detail about something because its not really the important part of the passage.

Like there is a few things we sit here and wonder if it's right or wrong to do because its not so obviously put out there and we even argue over it and throw out passages...meanwhile the REAL thing God is focusing on and talking about so much is love and unity.

Love, peace, unity, and Jesus aren't actually that complicated. People try to make religion complicated sometimes...but what Jesus taught is actually simple. That's why you can sum it all up in one or two sentences.

ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 pm

I still struggle with feel very very uncomfortable at church. Just sitting in that crowded room feels so uncomfortable even though I know plenty of people there. I don't even like looking up or standing during songs very much. I don't know what else to do but keep the faith in what God created the church for and keep going since God has made it clear this is where he wants me. I just get tired of feeling uncomfortable and feeling this force trying to push me out of there.

Columbia

by Columbia Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 pm

ECCENTRICSHEEP wrote:I still struggle with feel very very uncomfortable at church. Just sitting in that crowded room feels so uncomfortable even though I know plenty of people there. I don't even like looking up or standing during songs very much. I don't know what else to do but keep the faith in what God created the church for and keep going since God has made it clear this is where he wants me. I just get tired of feeling uncomfortable and feeling this force trying to push me out of there.

It's okay, Courtney. Church is a good place to be for corporate worship, even when it tends to seem lame. You belong there with God's people. Church is hard for me too. You know that about me already. But the Lord keeps me from giving up on church altogether. A friend from high school days tells me he hasn't attended a conventional church in over 30 years! He said that once he left it was almost impossible to go back. Another old friend, from over 20 years ago, tells me he just didn't fit in so has avoided church for three years. We are not there for the approval of people who act like monkeys. I wish I could say a miracle word that would get my friends back into church. But I can't. So I go not feeling comfortable and not fitting in. It doesn't matter. Maybe that's a coping mechanism. The next time we go to church, to imagine the people who act like monkeys actually being monkeys. I don't know about you, but I'll probably bust up laughing thinking about that. It may take the edge off the discomfort.
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:27 pm

I don't know if I say it enough....PLEASE if you have never been introduced to anything that has a tendency to become an addiction....drugs, alcohol. self harm, pornography...PLEASE just stay away from that stuff.

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be battling self harm urges all these years later. If you start one of these things....I can't guarantee it'll ever fully go away even if you quit.

Every. Single. Day. I fight self harm urges. Please just don't start any of that stuff. Don't just think you are going to try it out. Don't go near it. Don't let your brain make that pathway to what it thinks is something that feels good. That pathway might haunt you for a long time to come.

Columbia wrote:It's okay, Courtney. Church is a good place to be for corporate worship, even when it tends to seem lame. You belong there with God's people. Church is hard for me too. You know that about me already. But the Lord keeps me from giving up on church altogether. A friend from high school days tells me he hasn't attended a conventional church in over 30 years! He said that once he left it was almost impossible to go back. Another old friend, from over 20 years ago, tells me he just didn't fit in so has avoided church for three years. We are not there for the approval of people who act like monkeys. I wish I could say a miracle word that would get my friends back into church. But I can't. So I go not feeling comfortable and not fitting in. It doesn't matter. Maybe that's a coping mechanism. The next time we go to church, to imagine the people who act like monkeys actually being monkeys. I don't know about you, but I'll probably bust up laughing thinking about that. It may take the edge off the discomfort.

See for sure I have been to churches where the people frustrated me more, but not where I'm going now. Satan has convinced me before that I'm angry at them, but its not true I know that now. I would defend them to the end every time some one makes fun of Christians and gripes about churches.

I just keep feeling like this church...this one church...Satan doesn't want me there. I visited other churches and did not feel the same force trying to push me out....its only here I feel it.

I thought there was something wrong with not worshiping good enough so I tried other churches where I got into worship more...and God just kept saying go back. The only answer I got to why was maybe its more about what people he wants me around...whether its for me to impact them or for them to impact me....I do not have the answer yet.

cindyddavis

by cindyddavis Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:03 pm

For we too were once foolish, disobedient, deceived, enslaved by various passions and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, detesting one another.
But when the kindness of God our Savior and his love for mankind appeared, he saved us

I like how they make a point to say they were once hateful, lusting, lying ect. It proves what God can do. There are so many times in my life that I think I've screwed up one too many times or I've done things so awful that no way God is going to let me back into His grace this time. Or I feel worse or say worse or im way too wierd...whatever.. if God can take a man like Paul and turn him into the man these books show then He could do very wonderful things for me or anyone if we let Him
Columbia

by Columbia Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:13 pm

"But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned." (Verses 9-11)

Had a guy who wanted to draw us away from the Bible and get into political arguments last Sunday. He argued that just discussing the Bible was not fruitful. A gentleman calmly said that he would rather read one verse of Scripture than read a whole book about politics. When he tried to disrupt the reading of our passage of study, with an insistence that fasting was a commanded necessity for all Christians, I challenged him to give biblical proof to his claim. He cited a few verses that talked about fasting but did not claim it as necessary in order to be a Christian. When I asked him to provide Scripture that directly commanded Christians to fast, he came up empty and whined about not having a concordance handy. Fasting is really not the issue here. Fasting is okay under the proper motivation. It was just that this is a person who regularly tries to impose burdens upon God's people without including himself in those situations. He may not be to the extreme this passage is talking about but his emotional level and gestures reminded me of an agitated primate. This type of individual is not to be taken seriously. We were there for the purpose of looking at the work of the Holy Spirit in the calling of Paul and Barnabas to Cyprus. Not to get riled up over politics and act like agitated monkeys who throw poo at each other. Sola Scriptura

At a memorial for a guy I worked with for 17 years, I met a bunch of guys I had worked with before going to the Philippines. They asked why I hadn't come back there to work. When I told them I had tried for one year, they told me they were going to do something about that. My former supervisor was there and confirmed that so now I will be signing paperwork, agreeing upon a wage, and finding out when I will start. This takes place tomorrow. I consider this an answer to prayer that I have requested on this site. I will turn in my minimum wage position to return to a skilled position. I don't know if the 60 year old man who died ever came to Christ. But I do know 17 years of being a witness of Christ will resume very soon. These guys are a rough bunch but consider me one of their family. Every family should have a Jesus Freak, right? Never even had to compromise and ticked them off with the gospel sometimes! Praise the Lord that He wants them.
Return to Disciple Bible Study