Special Messages from Disciple to the members.

Moderator: Bouncers

josiahp

30 Questions - Getting to know JOSIAH

by josiahp Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 pm

1)Please introduce yourself, what you play, and one thing most people don't know about you!

I am Josiah Prince. I play guitar and sing backing vocals. I slouch a lot.

2)Any strange or unusual talents?

I have perfect pitch. I slouch A LOT.

3)Where are you from? Where do you live now?

Born in Chesapeake, Viriginia. Raised in Charlotte, NC, where I still live, but will be moving to Nashville sometime this year (2013)!

4)Wife and/or Children?

1 wife, 0 children. Been married for almost a year!

5)Have you always been involved in music? What age did you start, and what was your first instrument?

Always loved music. Wrote my first song when I was 4. Started playing drums at age 9. My dad was a pastor at a small church, so I pretty much started playing for the worship team right away. At 11 I threw guitar into the mix.

6)Biggest musical influences?

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys has always been my hero. An innovative symphonic genius...his use of chords, key changes, orchestral arrangements, and vocal harmonies has always shaped my musical goals. I have over 800 Beach Boys/Brian Wilson songs on my iPod. Yeah, huge fan.

Other major influences are the Beatles, the Police, Third Eye Blind, and Further Seems Forever. Earlier in life my favorite artists were dc Talk and Michael W. Smith.

7)What can you tell us that we can be expecting from the new lineup?

Thus far, the new dynamic has been very exciting. I had the pleasure of playing alongside Micah & Israel for the last 5 months or so, and I was a little worried that the post-Micah-&-Israel incarnation of Disciple might not live up to what the band had been. But as of now, we've got solid musicianship all-around, the show is super tight, and the energy is through the roof. We've also added a lot of new background vocals that I think add a lot to the show. Aside from live, I'm really excited to be a part of the writing process with the guys. Everyone in the band is a writer, and everyone has different musical backgrounds & influences, so I'm hoping we are all able to collaborate to create something fresh and awesome.

8) If you could choose one of the older Disciple songs (any album from "what was I thinking - "Back Again") to play which one would it be?

I love playing Big Bad Wolf. Back Again is a fun one too. I honestly haven't dived too much into the deep catalog stuff yet - been focused mostly on tightening up all the songs that we play regularly.

9)With everyone living in different places, how does that affect rehearsals/song writing?

It's definitely different than the garage bands I was in during high school. You can't just get together to hang out and play music. As it is, we make plans to rendezvous in Nashville a few weeks out, then practice as much as possible before the actual rehearsal so we don't waste what little time we have.

Not sure how the songwriting process is gonna go. Trent and I both have means of recording pretty good demos in Pro Tools, so I'm sure there will be a lot of back-and-forth via the Internetz.

10)With the new members, are you planning another behind the scenes video, like we got from previous lineups?

I vote yes.

11)When not on the road, how often do you stay in touch with each other?

Well, since I live in an Amish community, I have to leave my iPhone at the city gates when I return home from my journeys. The U.S. Pony Express does a fine job of delivering my letters to the guys in a timely manner (I usually buy stamps that are larger in size than your typical stamp - this helps expedite the courier process). The biggest drawback is that the other guys don't know how to read & write, so it's really a one-sided communication street.

12)How do you like being a member of Disciple now, versus your old group(s)?

My former band was called Philmont, and we existed from 2005 to 2012. I'm super proud of all that I accomplished with that band, and I wouldn't trade my experiences with them for anything. Disciple is definitely a far different scope though. Getting to ride in a tour bus and play huge shows and go overseas - well, it ain't half bad. My passion is performing & playing guitar, so as long as I get to do that, I am happy as a clam. A very happy clam.

13)What are your favorite "things" about the fans? Any memorable moments thus far?

I'm always amazed to talk to someone who has been following Disciple for 10+ years, and still makes it out to every show in their area. I'm also amazed at how often we encounter those people. Coming from a band whose lifespan was only 7 years, I have the utmost appreciation for sincere fans who are committed to the band they like. I'm that kind of fan with the artists that I'm into, so being on the receiving end is a very rewarding feeling. Any time fans bombard us with gifts, gift cards, food, etc... I'm awestruck!

14)What's the funniest thing that has ever happened to you on stage (as a Disciple member or previous band)? WE want stories!!

Yikes. When Philmont got signed, we played a show in Nashville, and our A&R guy brought a friend of his, who happened to be a musical hero to everyone in Philmont at the time (not gonna name names). It was a small show, and we were super nervous already. In an effort to look as un-nervous as possible, I tried to pull a cool spin move on stage, and ended up losing my balance and reeling off the front of the (very short) stage, pulling down our frontman's mic stand with me. I walked back onto the stage and finished playing the set feeling about 3 feet tall. I can laugh about it now, but it was the farthest thing from funny at the time, to everyone involved.

15)What do you enjoy about being on the road?

Every. Last. Thing. It is the best life I could ever ask for, especially on this particular tour, because my beautiful wife is out with us doing merch! Seriously, road life is phenomenal. The shows are the highlight for me, but hanging out with the guys is also the bomb.

16)Other than Family & Home, what do you miss the most while on the road?

Not much honestly. I take everything I need with me on the bus, including my recording gear, so I pretty much get to do everything I want when I'm on tour.

17)Favorite comfort foods?

Spaghetti. Cereal.

18)Have you developed any "new" food interests in your travels?

Philmont played in Holland a few years back, and we developed a penchant for Dutch "Stroopwaffels" - delicious little waffle/caramel sandwich cookies. And of course, any time we're on the west coast of the US, In-N-Out Burger is a MUST. Otherwise, I'm typically not very open-minded when it comes to exotic cuisine.

19)What sort of snacks & drinks do you like? (this comes in handy when bringing stuff to you on the road).

Spaghetti. Cereal.

Just kidding. Mostly. Here is a nice list:

- Old fashioned plain donuts
- Chex Mix (original, Peanut Lovers', or Trail Mix varieties)
- Wheat thins / Triscuits
- Cereal (anything except for those high-fiber old people cereals)
- Nature Valley granola bars
- Lays kettle cooked BBQ chips
- Peanut butter anything
- Oreos
- Reese's anything
- Starbucks K-cups

20)Any free time? What do you like to do?

I love comic books, particularly Spider-Man. I sometimes pretend that I want to exercise, but I'm never committed enough to stick with it long term. I definitely enjoy physical activity, mostly of the competitive nature. Baseball, basketball, racquetball, Monopoly, whatever.

And of course, I'm always trying to keep myself creatively sharp - whether it's picking up a guitar for a couple hours, sitting down and writing lyrics, or tracking new demo ideas...

21)What's your favorite sport(s)/teams?

Baseball has always been my game. The Atlanta Braves are my team. I also like the NFL, and try to root for the Carolina Panthers, but they don't make it very easy.

22)Do you have any pets? What do you have, and what are their names?

I'm afraid we're an animal-free family right now, but once we settle down somewhere in Nashville, we're set on getting a husky puppy!

23)Biggest spiritual influence?

My dad used to be a pastor. He founded a church not long after I was born. He (and my mom) raised me and my brothers in a home where God was the center. My parents have always been the dominant examples of Christ in my life.

24)Favorite passage of scripture?

Romans 8:38-39 - 'I am convinced that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall ever be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.'

25)How often do you read your Bible?

Every day, ideally. It's hard on the road sometimes to be consistent, but I set an alarm on my phone to remind me every day! Time in the Word is invaluable to my walk with God.

26)How old were you when you were Baptized?

I believe I was 9 years old. My dad baptized me and my brother Micah on the same day at our church.

27)How has Jesus changed your life?

With my background, I never really had a life without Jesus, so there's not necessarily a black-and-white discrepancy between my present self and my past self spiritually. But I believe that if you're doing it right, Jesus should be perpetually changing you to become more like Him.

28)What is the most memorable thing Christ has done for you?

The Lord has given me talents to be used for his glory, as well as the opportunities to use them in a career setting. I feel infinitely blessed to be in these circumstances, and am doing my best to not take them for granted. He also brought me together with the love of my life, which is pretty cool.

29)random questions for the Alliance members.(feel free to ask us anything)!!

I will leave this one open-ended for now...

30) Kirk or Picard?

James Tiberius. But I'm cool with Jean-Luc too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TFK_disciple_fan

Location: Somewhere in the deep dark depths of Redneck country

Re: 30 Questions - Getting to know JOSIAH

by TFK_disciple_fan Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 am

josiahp wrote:2)Any strange or unusual talents?

I have perfect pitch.

:eek: :eek:
Polish Tom
Administrator

by Polish Tom Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 am

Welcome aboard, brother.
"In paradise remember me. Romance me. Ransom me." - Disciple

"...the Lord has told you what is good, & this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, & to walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8
Lainie
Bouncer

by Lainie Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

josiahp wrote:11)When not on the road, how often do you stay in touch with each other?

Well, since I live in an Amish community, I have to leave my iPhone at the city gates when I return home from my journeys. The U.S. Pony Express does a fine job of delivering my letters to the guys in a timely manner (I usually buy stamps that are larger in size than your typical stamp - this helps expedite the courier process). The biggest drawback is that the other guys don't know how to read & write, so it's really a one-sided communication street.

Best. Answer. Ever. :p
The Disciple fan-mily are just the friends I haven't necessarily met yet :)
ShArP

by ShArP Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 am

josiahp wrote:4)Wife and/or Children?

1 wife, 0 children. Been married for almost a year!

this made me a laugh a little, just the 1 wife part haha
Steph

by Steph Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Welcome to the band! You are definitely a great addition! And congrats on being married almost a year! (And I'm totally jealous of the fact that you have perfect pitch.)
~How precious to me are your thoughts O God? How vast is the sum of them? Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. Psalm 139:17-18~
WanderingStar
Bouncer

by WanderingStar Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to help us get to know you a little better! Stoked to see what's ahead. :)
- Mary

"Is it OK to not know, not have the answers, and simply be someone who is searching for Someone to save me?"

We are the Alliance:
www.facebook.com/DiscipleAlliance
www.twitter.com/discipalliance
S_arah

by S_arah Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 am

Loved reading this! :)
Vrees niet, want Ik heb u verlost;
Ik heb u bij uw naam geroepen, gij zijt Mijn.

Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass
- Psalm 37:5 -
Frederieke

by Frederieke Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:53 pm

Only now getting into the message board. This was a fun read!

Nice to know you're such a big fan of Stroopwafels! Glad I brought you some last time. Guess I'll be bringing some again this time!
ImNotInvisible

by ImNotInvisible Sat May 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Romans 8:38-39 is one of my all time favorite verses too! I too am in love with Peanut butter. Oh, and nice thing about the guys not being able to read or write lol!
- Sophie
notebooknut

by notebooknut Wed May 27, 2015 7:49 am

BRO! I love comic books, and I LOVE Spider-Man! You just gained some awesome points!!! :mrgreen:
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
ECCENTRICSHEEP

by ECCENTRICSHEEP Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 pm

notebooknut wrote:BRO! I love comic books, and I LOVE Spider-Man! You just gained some awesome points!!! :mrgreen:

You know me and my husband have a comic book business, we mostly sell online on amazon and ebay...but if you're ever looking for something and having trouble finding it hit me up :)
THE ECCENTRIC SHEEP MUSINGS

TO THOSE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST DEPRESSION
http://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep-m ... epression/

SELF INJURY AWARENESS DAY POST
https://jesuswired.com/eccentric-sheep- ... ury-story/
notebooknut

by notebooknut Wed May 27, 2015 4:23 pm

I WILL!!!! Yeah, a am a HUGE comic book geek... I like mostly Marvel, but still, a comic book is a comic book!!
- Maddie

"Opposite as the day and night
As different as the sun and moon is
This is the reality of my duality
This WE needs to become a ME!"
- Jonathan Thulin, Jekyll & Hyde
Return to From the Band